Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Vil posted:

PlayOnline has not yet joined the last decade with HTTPS encryption (or redirect), and you'll want to go to the HTTP version:

Well, no surprises there I guess! Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

WarMECH posted:

The boat ride was one of my favorite parts of the game when I first played years ago. There are a couple of interesting things that can happen on that journey at random times.

I re-subbed my alt last week and rode the airships to get all the home points/books and that music still holds up. XI OST has some of my favorite game music. Part of the reason 15 minute boat rides were tolerable IMO.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_wzlrB9d9s

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Bregor posted:

I re-subbed my alt last week and rode the airships to get all the home points/books and that music still holds up. XI OST has some of my favorite game music. Part of the reason 15 minute boat rides were tolerable IMO.

Even just the mention of the boat ride music has it playing in my head and I haven't ridden the boat in at least 5 years

It's objectively a complete garbage system by all metrics of actual fun, but the severely restricted travel did a lot to make XI feel expansive. I remember that feeling that arose after I'd just run on foot all the way from Bastok to Selbina- which I think took about 45 minutes back then- hopped on the boat, got killed by pirates, raised at the dock, and was left in an unfamiliar place with mission orders to visit a nation I'd never been to before. I was going to have to set a home point here, figure out how to make money in the local economy, and enlist other adventurers to fight the dragon. That sense that I was in a new place and it was going to be a long time before I went home or saw any of the usual faces I got used to seeing was surprisingly strong. It really made FFXI feel like an adventure

That said, if I tried to play again and I couldn't fast travel from Bastok and Windurst in under 5 seconds I'd probably rage quit, 34 year old me is much more interested in cramming in as much active gameplay as possible than 16 year old me

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

pretty soft girl posted:

Even just the mention of the boat ride music has it playing in my head and I haven't ridden the boat in at least 5 years

It's objectively a complete garbage system by all metrics of actual fun, but the severely restricted travel did a lot to make XI feel expansive. I remember that feeling that arose after I'd just run on foot all the way from Bastok to Selbina- which I think took about 45 minutes back then- hopped on the boat, got killed by pirates, raised at the dock, and was left in an unfamiliar place with mission orders to visit a nation I'd never been to before. I was going to have to set a home point here, figure out how to make money in the local economy, and enlist other adventurers to fight the dragon. That sense that I was in a new place and it was going to be a long time before I went home or saw any of the usual faces I got used to seeing was surprisingly strong. It really made FFXI feel like an adventure

That said, if I tried to play again and I couldn't fast travel from Bastok and Windurst in under 5 seconds I'd probably rage quit, 34 year old me is much more interested in cramming in as much active gameplay as possible than 16 year old me

I distinctly remember having a friend that I used to low-level party with in Bastok. We'd wander out into Gustaberg and kill poo poo for garbage exp, but we were both new so neither of us knew better. He was a few missions ahead of me, and had to go off to Sandoria, and it legit felt like he was going away on vacation and I wouldn't see him for a long time. Which kind of wound up being true! He was away from Bastok for several days, and so I had to go venture out on my own which I wasn't really that used to yet. We could still chat via /tells obviously, but when you're used to partying all the time it's different and didn't really feel like "playing" together.

I don't think anyone who played back in the day would ever forget their first time crossing the ocean, or making the trek up to Jeuno. And yeah, setting your home point was a huge decision back in the day. I don't doubt I'd hate it now too in a modern MMO, but I think single-player games could take some lessons from this sort of thing to really help sell the feeling of a huge world in a way that I don't think open world games really accomplish. Most of them feel like they have a big play space, but few of them feel like they have a big world.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I distinctly remember having a friend that I used to low-level party with in Bastok. We'd wander out into Gustaberg and kill poo poo for garbage exp, but we were both new so neither of us knew better. He was a few missions ahead of me, and had to go off to Sandoria, and it legit felt like he was going away on vacation and I wouldn't see him for a long time. Which kind of wound up being true! He was away from Bastok for several days, and so I had to go venture out on my own which I wasn't really that used to yet. We could still chat via /tells obviously, but when you're used to partying all the time it's different and didn't really feel like "playing" together.

I don't think anyone who played back in the day would ever forget their first time crossing the ocean, or making the trek up to Jeuno. And yeah, setting your home point was a huge decision back in the day. I don't doubt I'd hate it now too in a modern MMO, but I think single-player games could take some lessons from this sort of thing to really help sell the feeling of a huge world in a way that I don't think open world games really accomplish. Most of them feel like they have a big play space, but few of them feel like they have a big world.

I feel BOTW does this right. And being honest as someone doing this for the first time and did the Jeuno run a few days ago. Some of what you say is true, but it's mostly due to the feeling of danger of trekking place to place as it takes more than 3 minutes in real time to get from one place to the other. The actual map design in FFXI is actually quite boring as most places are just flat plains. Actually FFXI map design is like a primitive version of Xenoblade's.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

WarMECH posted:

The boat ride was one of my favorite parts of the game when I first played years ago. There are a couple of interesting things that can happen on that journey at random times.

That loving squid monster. Murdering new players since 2001.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Most retrospectives talk about the severe difficulty of old school FFXI as the reason for its sense of community building, but I think this is a forgotten reason: you couldn't always play with your friends. They might be on the other side of a different continent, or if you wanted to exp with them, they might not have a job in your level range. Did this absolutely suck? It sure did, but it also meant you were constantly meeting new people and having to work with them, and not in a disposable way. This combined with a slow paced gameplay loop meant that being capable of holding a conversation with people was an incredibly valuable skill that could carry you pretty drat far and notorious shitheads had a tendency to just get stuck around the late 50s/early 60s

I really appreciated FFXIV just letting you jump into a dungeon queue and automatically get matched with an appropriate group, but I don't think I ever once had an actual conversation with someone outside of the people I started with in the however many months I played

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I don't think anyone who played back in the day would ever forget their first time crossing the ocean, or making the trek up to Jeuno.

For me the most vivid example of that was beating the last 30-cap Promy and appearing in Lufaise Meadows for the first time. Those fights were a loving pain at release and it felt like a real accomplishment, then to be rewarded with a new land to explore (and dope loving music to boot) was just the best.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://we-are-vanadiel.finalfantasyxi.com/?lang=en

If anyone wants to read an interview with Tanaka about how FFXI got started.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Blue Mage in this game remains an incredibly fun past time

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I found out that there are apparently successful private servers for XI, neat trip down memory lane a bit since I installed a server that is permanently on Wings of the Goddess expansion, if a little barren because private servers and hell the main servers nowadays don't really have any population to speak of. Was a neat way to waste like an hour or 2 outside of Bastok without having to try to figure out how to set up playonline or anything. Kinda miss the POL music though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Asura is pretty populated, OP

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah, I'm debating resubbing. I had a character on Siren years and years ago, but that server's likely dead as gently caress and all the people I played with moved on to FFXIV or quit playing MMOs altogether. I don't think i'd reactivate that character though, and should probably roll a new character, because poo poo, I don't even remember the keybinds for FFXI anymore, let alone how to play optimally. I spent 2 hours whacking ding bats, huge hornets, and tunnel worms outside of Bastok on a pserver, and it did give me the itch to reup my account though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I guess I had a character on Asura after all, so I reupped to mess around in game. Any advice on addons other than basic poo poo like Windower?

E: Forgot that it takes over an hour to update the client once you get PlayOnline installed, even if you download the game from the Square Enix website.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Look up what a Trust is and collect as many as possible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

barfiller, enemybar, dressup (for blinkmenot), findall, gearswap, giltracker, invtracker, battlemod, myhome, shortcuts, spellbook, superwarp, tparty, xivbar, ffxidb and either xivcrossbar or xivhotbar are what I go for as a baseline and most all of that is in the windower repository

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

barfiller, enemybar, dressup (for blinkmenot), findall, gearswap, giltracker, invtracker, battlemod, myhome, shortcuts, spellbook, superwarp, tparty, xivbar, ffxidb and either xivcrossbar or xivhotbar are what I go for as a baseline and most all of that is in the windower repository

Oh hey thanks. Just playing XI for the first time and I'm way too used to modern MMO conveniences so this is good to know

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is missing treasury which is essential!

also autoRA for ranged classes, and qol stuff like currencies, fastcs, mountmuzzle (oh my god that music), and I really like xicamera but it does make your game crash instead of exiting properly which is fine by me

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Every once in a while I think about giving this game a serious try, even though my last attempt ended after I got Bard and Warrior to like level 30.

Saw that it just got some new content? Isn't FFXI supposed to be in maintenance mode? In fact it seems like it gets small updates almost monthly.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It gets plenty of "new" content. There's consistently new fights and dungeons added, but they always re-use old enemy / boss models and old areas when doing so. There's also a new storyline that gets consistent updates, again just re-using npcs and enemies though, with maybe a new texture on a weapon at most.

So while there's very little "new" content, there consistently new things to do being added.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It gets plenty of "new" content. There's consistently new fights and dungeons added, but they always re-use old enemy / boss models and old areas when doing so. There's also a new storyline that gets consistent updates, again just re-using npcs and enemies though, with maybe a new texture on a weapon at most.

So while there's very little "new" content, there consistently new things to do being added.

I see. Honestly that's not what I'd consider maintenance mode all though obviously it's not as good as getting 100% new stuff. Still, cool that they're not just letting it totally stagnate like most other MMOs that are considered to be in "maintenance mode" where there's practically nothing new to do at all except for perhaps the occasional event.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
There's also semi-regular balance updates, with new job abilities being added as well. They've announced they're working on "a new progression system" that intends to be a huge every-job balance update, but nobody really knows what that's going to entail.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That's neat. Maybe I actually will try to play it again as sort of a secondary messing-around game and play it real casually

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

There's also semi-regular balance updates, with new job abilities being added as well. They've announced they're working on "a new progression system" that intends to be a huge every-job balance update, but nobody really knows what that's going to entail.

Have they made any major balance changes since Sheol C launched?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ort posted:

Have they made any major balance changes since Sheol C launched?

I think RNG got Hover Shot after that and it supposedly changed how they played quite a bit?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

FrostyPox posted:

I see. Honestly that's not what I'd consider maintenance mode all though obviously it's not as good as getting 100% new stuff. Still, cool that they're not just letting it totally stagnate like most other MMOs that are considered to be in "maintenance mode" where there's practically nothing new to do at all except for perhaps the occasional event.

I believe that was their intention but then the game has had a very consistent player base, and even increased at times. If we go by FFXIAH stats there are about 90,000 active players, and that only includes ones using the AH. Pretty safe to say the game is still making them over 1 million a month with numbers like that.
I guess that justified them doing more. Given its age the amount of content we do get is impressive.

As was already mentioned we get a monthly update that always has a new Ambuscade battle, and sometimes we also get balance changes, more Voracious Resurgence story, and a new battlefield (Shinryu last month).

They've announced they are doing updates to all jobs "soon". Though we don't have much info on what exactly.

They have also announced something big is coming for the 20th anniversary next year. Again we have few details, but with the new We Are Vana'diel website they just launched I suspect we'll see some news trickle in over the next year.

So yeah, the game is thriving and far from maintenance mode. Hell, we get more now than we did during the tail end of WOTG.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 8, 2021

Bregor
May 31, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think RNG got Hover Shot after that and it supposedly changed how they played quite a bit?

Isn’t RNG just another SB spam job still? lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bregor posted:

Now it's more of a "SB spam, but" from the way I understand - with Hover Shot going you end up at something ridiculous on your ranged attacks, I think it's +400 racc +100% damage or something stupid like that? - so there are plenty of situations where you end up dancing around with a bow even if you are, in general, Yet Another Savage Blade Class.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The MMO HMO > Final Fantasy XI: Yet Another Savage Blade Class

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Bregor posted:

Last time I played the meta was RNG/COR using ranged in dyna d for a safe fast clear. SB spam was still the meme but I didn’t actually see it very much in the group I was in.

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

FrostyPox posted:

Every once in a while I think about giving this game a serious try, even though my last attempt ended after I got Bard and Warrior to like level 30.

Saw that it just got some new content? Isn't FFXI supposed to be in maintenance mode? In fact it seems like it gets small updates almost monthly.

Return Home to Vana'diel Campaign is starting on Friday if you want to check it out: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/wcb/index.html

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LMAO, I actually resubbed last night, so of course there's a return campaign I wasn't aware of

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Does the return home campaign overlap with the summer bonanza exclusive trusts? I keep missing that set of them and they're a big gaping hole in my trust list.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Decided to start over. Didn't delete my original character but bought a second character slot, FrostyPox on Bahamut if anyone is on Bahamut

Bregor
May 31, 2013

FrostyPox posted:

Decided to start over. Didn't delete my original character but bought a second character slot, FrostyPox on Bahamut if anyone is on Bahamut

Bregor (and Bregolas) on Bahamut :wave: let me know if I can help with something

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Well, I'm bored.

OP info still accurate for server and such?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, I'm bored.

OP info still accurate for server and such?

yeah roll on asura

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Bregor posted:

Bregor (and Bregolas) on Bahamut :wave: let me know if I can help with something

Will do!

Right now I'm just slowly levelling Black Mage, will probably subjob WHM or RDM since that seems to make the most sense. Haven't played much since last weekend so I'm only like level 4 and doing the newbie tasks from the guard at the gate in San d'Oria.

Eyeing some of the advanced jobs at some point, either BLU, PUP, or SMN, but that can wait for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm trying to remember all the crap I forgot about XI, finally got around to sitting down and grinding out some levels and unlocked trusts, is the Shantotto trust still available or is it gone? If I don't have anything unlocked towards getting the Shantotto trust other than doing the quest in Windurst to unlock the first trust, how long am I looking at to be able to get that particular trust?