Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
God drat I love this game. Combat is just so fun I find myself grinding for no real reason at all. Though I have been blasting through W3 because the story is getting real good. Excited to see how it finishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

Also I apparently misunderstood what multi-wielding pins meant. Rather than one user being able to use two pins at once it actually means that more than one character can use pins mapped to the same button (which is pretty useful to be fair)

On another note, how do I unlock Ultimate difficulty (I assume it’s a week 3 social link)?

it's postgame, like the original TWEWY

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

it's postgame, like the original TWEWY

That’s what I figured. Also much like the first one, I just noticed that the title screen technically spoils every party member you get in the game (except one in this case)

The start of week 2 notwithstanding it actually seems like the game is getting easier the further I go (though it’s fun to watch the Groove meter just skyrocket within seconds now), as I mentioned having the ability to map 2 (and eventually more I assume) characters to the same button now helps out a ton as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 3, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Finished NEO TWEWY's maingame. That was a fun romp, and a nice followup to the original game. Did feel like the writing kind of stumbled a bit in a few places.

theblackw0lf posted:

Ok week 3 is giving me more of the emotional content and character arcs I’ve been looking for. This week feels the most in spirit with the first.

Yeah weeks 1 and 2 were fine, but it wasn't vibing with me the same way the first game did. Week 3 on the other hand, really got me to stick around to the end.

Larryb posted:

Also I apparently misunderstood what multi-wielding pins meant. Rather than one user being able to use two pins at once it actually means that more than one character can use pins mapped to the same button (which is pretty useful to be fair)

On another note, how do I unlock Ultimate difficulty (I assume it’s a week 3 social link)?

Postgame.

Also for that matter for everyone else, please don't go back to replay entire chapters just to get the rest of the boss drops. Just replay to clean up quests or missing Pig Noises. You'll get an opportunity to fight them in much more convenient places in the post-game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first couple days of week 2 really spun its wheels but now i've got beat and everything is wonderful again

yashiro showing up to do the usual reaper smuglord act only for beat to go "joke's on you i'm still dumb as poo poo" was excellent

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beat really freshens up the party dynamic once he joins up. It helps that unlike Sho he's always around so he develops more of a rapport with everyone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Beat is amazing and the game improves tremendously once he joins up (in more ways than one). Though it’s Week 3 (and technically the end of Week 2) when things really start to get interesting

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Larryb posted:

The start of week 2 notwithstanding it actually seems like the game is getting easier the further I go (though it’s fun to watch the Groove meter just skyrocket within seconds now), as I mentioned having the ability to map 2 (and eventually more I assume) characters to the same button now helps out a ton as well.

I've found that W3 gets a bit harder towards the end, or at least the enemies get tankier so take longer to kill

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unlike in the first game, you don't have to wait until post-game for the Pig Noise entries to get recorded. Your initial encounters are what's recorded, and the whole "unknown" thing is all you get there (since each Pig encounter has entirely different parameters and payouts.) Also means you don't have to worry about setting your level to 1 for the game to record that in the Noisepedia, as the game doesn't keep track of that at all.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Beat really freshens up the party dynamic once he joins up. It helps that unlike Sho he's always around so he develops more of a rapport with everyone.

I had a big grin when that reveal happened, along with Calling playing in the background during that scene. And he really adds to the party dynamic afterwards, and the week really starts brightening up after that.

Lotus Aura posted:

Going through my Noisepedia to see what drops I'm missing as I do a postgame Ultimate lap and there's two conspicuous gaps that I don't understand. Noise no 51 which I think should be (W1D5) the giant golden pig from the Fuya fight, but I've done that fight four times and it's still not there so it might be Another Day thing? But more weird to me is that I'm missing no 79 (W2D2/W2D7) which I am 100% sure should be the first Mr Mew fight considering it's between Susukichi 2 and Mr Mew 2 but it's just... not there.

Followup from my previous reply, 51 isn't bugged, though your 79 entry did. 51 is a post-game exclusive pig.

Araxxor posted:

Also for that matter for everyone else, please don't go back to replay entire chapters just to get the rest of the boss drops. Just replay to clean up quests or missing Pig Noises. You'll get an opportunity to fight them in much more convenient places in the post-game.

Unfortunately I found out there are a few exceptions to this. W1D4 needs to be replayed entirely 4 times as the boss fight is a dive with unique noise.

W3 in general while the boss noise itself is refightable elsewhere, you'll have to make sure to juggle difficulties for Plague Noise in general.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 4, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So can you not equip two Uber pins to the same input?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Neku in the first game was kind of weird in that he goes from "I'm going to murder my partner' to "this person is the most important thing in my life" in like 2-3 days

Pacing a bit too breakneck but eh :v:v

Regalingualius posted:

Game says no

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Nope. And there’s no upgrade that allows that. Pretty much the only thing that separates the definition of an uber pin and a normal pin even after all the upgrades.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Araxxor posted:

W3 in general while the boss noise itself is refightable elsewhere, you'll have to make sure to juggle difficulties for Plague Noise in general.

This is a thing that kinda bothered me because you're constantly told that Plague noise is everywhere but it's never in any scans so you can only ever fight them in fixed locations. They're meant to be this game's equivalent to Taboo Noise, but they're just weirdly underutilized.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lotus Aura posted:

This is a thing that kinda bothered me because you're constantly told that Plague noise is everywhere but it's never in any scans so you can only ever fight them in fixed locations. They're meant to be this game's equivalent to Taboo Noise, but they're just weirdly underutilized.

Yeah I was expecting them to be encounters like Taboo noise was. But I caught onto the fact that they're placed next to the bosses in the Noisepedia and they weren't grouped with the other noise types, so I juggled difficulties in case. Glad I did. Granted they do make sure the pins get distributed from the normal noise later at least.

I guess they were kind of underutilized since they were straight up palette swaps of normal noise, since an equivalent noise will have their exact mechanics and similar stats.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
against my better judgement i've been going for the top prize on scramble slam 2. i've cleared 5 zones and have around 170k so far, after creating 10-battle chains every time

if i fall short i'm going to be extremely unhappy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

against my better judgement i've been going for the top prize on scramble slam 2. i've cleared 5 zones and have around 170k so far, after creating 10-battle chains every time

if i fall short i'm going to be extremely unhappy

If you aren't sure, there are some opportunities you can take to extend the length of the scramble slam. And denying one option that's there as a way to speedrun the day. And sticks you with a 2 person party which uh, yeah you're not using that option to topscore, that's for sure.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Araxxor posted:

If you aren't sure, there are some opportunities you can take to extend the length of the scramble slam. And denying one option that's there as a way to speedrun the day. And sticks you with a 2 person party which uh, yeah you're not using that option to topscore, that's for sure.

if you mean going to 104 to head off the pureheart/varia alliance, that's what i just did. figured that keeping the teams split would result in more territory to grab

i've been pulling down around 15k points per match, give or take a couple thousand

VVV: god...loving drat it. why does this need to be such an issue? even if i had ultimate unlocked, i don't want to play through this poo poo again! it's too much combat!

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 4, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Oxxidation posted:

if you mean going to 104 to head off the pureheart/varia alliance, that's what i just did. figured that keeping the teams split would result in more territory to grab

It results in less, actually. You get fewer battles to do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

At the start of the final week now, 2 questions:

1: When do I unlock the social links for the Ruinbringers?

2: This has probably been mentioned before but I forget, how soon do I get my final party member and is their field ability all that useful (assuming they have one that is as I don’t think Sho did)? So far the only one that isn’t just situationally useful is Beat’s as you can get Groove bonuses from repeated dashing

Also I pretty much guessed the Ruinbringer’s secret right from Week 1 (Susukichi‘s design and boss fight sort of gave it away for me, plus the fact that they were constantly on top every week despite barely playing the game).

Though I initially thought that Rhyme had something to do with them since the game kept cutting to a shot of her at her computer on the phone with someone at the end of most days

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 4, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Got to W3 a bit before going to work today. What a great setup. And phew, W2D7 was loving crazy. Very excited reading that folks think W3 is the best part of the story.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Me: Fret is the best!

Also me: FRET JUST REMIND PEOPLE OH MY GOD

..so anyway any tips for the remind mechanic?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Artelier posted:

Me: Fret is the best!

Also me: FRET JUST REMIND PEOPLE OH MY GOD

..so anyway any tips for the remind mechanic?

Yeah, that’s probably the worst mechanic in the game in my opinion. Here’s a tip from a few pages back:

Araxxor posted:

There's actually a trick that makes it super trivial. The answer is always in a cardinal or ordinal direction. So move the control sticks north, northwest, west, etc. Wait for a second or 2 after doing so, as there's a delay in the fragments reaching their spot. Makes it much quicker and easier to get them done.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Just rotate them til one part lines up and then hold it htere and do it for the other. It takes a second for them to line up once you get it in the right spot just don't go nuts spinning them. I'ts the easiest mini game in the deal.

Also got to Week 3 Day 4's ending and I'm not crying you're crying.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know it's honestly kind of shocking how the "Extra voices" section of the credits is full of people who'd normally be the main cast in a game like this-Robbie Daymond, Zach Aguilar, Kaiji Tang, Johnny Yong Bosch, Greg Chun, Erika Harlacher, Kira Buckland, Cristina Vee-but aside from Griffin Burns as Fret, Xanthe Huynh as Kanon and Xander Mobus as Kubo, all of the main cast seem to be relative newcomers, or returning from the first game's VAs, none of whom were big name dub stars like the people I listed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, before I was overthinking it and just spinning the control sticks randomly. Take it slow and Fret’s gimmick should be pretty easy for you.

Speaking of gimmicks, what’s the benefit in using Shoka’s teleporters? Like, do they provide you with shortcuts or something)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 4, 2021

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Well that turned out pretty fantastic in the end. Week 3 is absolutely stellar.

What a wonderful love letter to the original.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

W2D3

I thought I'd made a mistake separating into twos for the last part of the slam but having all four back together again was so cathartic after drawn out duo battles.

Also, I'd spoiled myself that Beat was back in the game but I didn't expect him to be 'Neku'. I loved that twist.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Backing up that if you want to trivialize Scramble Slams later and you couldn't be bothered to topscore the first time, come back with Ultimate unlocked. Even while speedrunning you get a ridiculous amount of points.

Larryb posted:

Yeah, before I was overthinking it and just spinning the control sticks randomly. Take it slow and Fret’s gimmick should be pretty easy for you.

Speaking of gimmicks, what’s the benefit in using Shoka’s teleporters? Like, do they provide you with shortcuts or something)?

It's mostly used for plot, sidequests, and basically every single pig noise from then on out requires Shoka to reach.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Araxxor posted:

Backing up that if you want to trivialize Scramble Slams later and you couldn't be bothered to topscore the first time, come back with Ultimate unlocked. Even while speedrunning you get a ridiculous amount of points.

It's mostly used for plot, sidequests, and basically every single pig noise from then on out requires Shoka to reach.

I'm glad to hear that, I just rushed each one on normal figuring I'd come back to it later.

I'm curious to see how she becomes a party member. . How many party members do you have when you're at another day? I'd rather not hear who if that matters

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How does one go collecting the secret reports? I don’t see a feature that tells you where to find them like the original.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm glad to hear that, I just rushed each one on normal figuring I'd come back to it later.

I'm curious to see how she becomes a party member. . How many party members do you have when you're at another day? I'd rather not hear who if that matters

6, though by then you can swap out 1 party member for another as there's 7 playable characters at that point.

theblackw0lf posted:

How does one go collecting the secret reports? I don’t see a feature that tells you where to find them like the original.

It's far easier than in TWEWY. There are 2 conditions for doing so, rewarded at certain thresholds of the social network, and killing boss noise symbols once you have that unlocked. Each day has its boss noise available usually at the start of the day somewhere. Note that if a day doesn't actually end off with a boss (for example, W1D3 ends with an encounter with a group of Deep River players, and the first 2 scramble slams don't have an actual boss at the end), there's no boss noise to hunt for on that day, so ignore said days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Araxxor posted:

6, though by then you can swap out 1 party member for another as there's 7 playable characters at that point.

It's far easier than in TWEWY. There are 2 conditions for doing so, rewarded at certain thresholds of the social network, and killing boss noise symbols once you have that unlocked. Each day has its boss noise available usually at the start of the day somewhere. Note that if a day doesn't actually end off with a boss (for example, W1D3 ends with an encounter with a group of Deep River players, and the first 2 scramble slams don't have an actual boss at the end), there's no boss noise to hunt for on that day, so ignore said days.

You also apparently have to fight said character during Another Day before they join (or in this case, rejoin you)

Speaking of Another Day, how does the “main” story work gameplay wise (that is, the one that replaces the Tin Pin tournament from the original) and are you locked out of doing the other side quests attached to said day while it’s going on like was the case in TWEWY (unless said side quests are attached to said story this time that is)?

Also I assume the requirements for unlocking this game’s secret ending are more or less identical to the original’s?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 4, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Larryb posted:

You also apparently have to fight said character during Another Day before they join (or in this case, rejoin you)

Speaking of Another Day, how does the “main” story work gameplay wise (that is, the one that replaces the Tin Pin tournament from the original) and are you locked out of doing the other side quests attached to said day while it’s going on like was the case in TWEWY (unless said side quests are attached to said story this time that is)?

Also I assume the requirements for unlocking this game’s secret ending are more or less identical to the original’s?

Nah Another Day spoilers: Sho is just a option by hachiko. You just get asked if you wanna have him on your team or not and you can kick whoever else out for him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man the 3rd Scramble Slam is strangely reasonable, even easy. This is kinda what I was expecting the standard amount of effort to get all rewards would be.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Where do you find the topo the ingenious pin?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nah Another Day spoilers: Sho is just a option by hachiko. You just get asked if you wanna have him on your team or not and you can kick whoever else out for him.

Huh, I heard there was a Super Sho boss fight or something first. Alright then.

municipal shrimp posted:

Where do you find the topo the ingenious pin?

It evolves from The World Within which is a Noise drop (I forget which one gives it to you, the green sharks maybe?). Absolutely track one down though as it’s one of the best non-Uber pins in the entire game.

Question about said pin though, does its healing ability only apply if you slap it on Nagi or Beat (HP Vampire is only listed for those two of the ability list for said pin)? Because I picked up an extra World Within recently and was thinking of evolving it now that I can multi-wield

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 4, 2021

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Which noise drops the world within then?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

municipal shrimp posted:

Which noise drops the world within then?

Second tier pufferfish (Oi Puffer) on Easy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On W3D2 now, where can I find the sidequest that gets me my final wallet upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

Decided to rock up to the post game super boss on ultimate to see what the damage was gonna be on gearing up for it. Two point blank psychic shotgun blasts didn't make his health move and he casually one shot me with a 6k opening swipe.

Time to eat some alligators.

More ending talk. One of the secret reports mentioned that Shiba had been running the Ruinbringer scam for long enough that other player teams had already been at it for at least 30 weeks before Rindo and Fret goober in. That's probably at least a few hundred peoples worth of teams, ground down through a little over half a year mostly to conceal that he wasn't backed by the composer and thus couldn't actually resurrect anyone if they won. It's really galling. I mean poo poo, at least Kitaniji was trying to save the city...

Continuing this topicYeah it's kind of shocking how easily Shiba was let off, considering all the lovely stuff he did. Like he deserved erasure way more then Susukichi did.