Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

mrpwase posted:

Grumio est coquus

why won't my screen turn on

goddamn this soup is good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think I'm the only left person on my FB who thinks Latin in schools is a good thing.

Firstly,

Yeah, surely all those reasons are very good, but that's not what returning Latin to schools is about. It's about a return to the two-tier education system of the 1950s where only kids who went to posh schools had the slightest chance of getting into university. It's about undoing 60 years of attempts to increase social mobility.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I don't think universities are about to turn off their easy money tap by excluding half the country because they don't know Latin.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I did Latin at a pretty working glass state school when I was a teenager, wasn't even aware that it was a rare thing.

edit: Remember nothing apart from a series of stories about the adventures of Marcus, Sextus, Flavia, and their slave who escaped/was captured/had his forehead branded with the letter F

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's about longing for the good old days of discipline, empire and servile wars.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

EvilHawk posted:

I don't think universities are about to turn off their easy money tap by excluding half the country because they don't know Latin.

In the 60s and early 70s O-level Latin was a pre-requisite for getting into uni to study anything.
The dawning of the age of the polytechnics put paid to that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilHawk posted:

The Tories don't give a tuppenny gently caress about the red bricks and will gladly see them close. The ancient universities will hardly be affected apart from Aberdeen, which may not even be in the UK ten years from now.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In the 60s and early 70s O-level Latin was a pre-requisite for getting into uni to study anything.
The dawning of the age of the polytechnics put paid to that.

Jedit posted:

The Tories don't give a tuppenny gently caress about the red bricks and will gladly see them close. The ancient universities will hardly be affected apart from Aberdeen, which may not even be in the UK ten years from now.

It's not the Tories that are setting the admission standards though. As long as universities can still make £9k per year per student they're not going to add "you must have learned Latin" to the entry requirements until there's enough students that know Latin that their numbers won't drop, or it's no longer profitable.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

"naow let me tell yew samfing abaot hitlah..."

crispix fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 4, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I did Latin for a couple of years because I went to a convent school. Really like Latin tbh it's a neat language to learn. Good old Caecilius. When that one Doctor Who episode had Caecilius in it I was delighted.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

cis-alpine gaul and trans-alpine gaul takes a whole new meaning
She's leading her army over the alps and they look loving radiant.

Borrovan posted:

The stuff that I've read is mostly from sports scientists almost all of whom are trans. I've not read the studies myself because I'm not a data scientist or expert in research methods, but my partner is both of those things & the meta-analyses she's looked at say exactly the same thing as the trans sports scientists (unsurprisingly).
The problem is that we're all arguing evidence based points about the logistical reality of it. Any 'evidence' the TERFs throw around is a hastily cobbled together talking point to justify the underlying argument that they honestly think a "man" is going to transition (either medically or by identifying) so that they can dominate a female sport. Which is something that has never happened.

Especially in the UK where the gender recognition process is so hosed by the time they managed it they'd probably be ready to retire.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I was referring to all the Latin speakers. And yes, I'm sure there's a couple of state schools that teach Latin too, gently caress off with pedantry. Well aware schools ran trips abroad, my school had an annual trip to Augsburg organised by the Languages department because Inverness is twinned with Augsburg for some reason. And in 1998 the PE department organised a trip to France which involved going to a World Cup game, think it was Colombia vs Tunisia? Was very sad I didn't get to go to that.

Wind your own neck in.

In that case, my bad and you can consider my neck wound in. Assume makes and rear end of u and me, but in this case just me.

curve, I guess it varies by school but my school defo did pay for kids to go on the trip if they couldn’t afford it. Doubt that would happen now like, sadly

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Anyone who unironically speaks latin is a TURDUS MAXIMUS

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah where are all these schools where you learn Latin? Is everyone itt just really old?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I'm 36 and my school never offered Latin. I had heard of state schools offering Latin but I don't think I've ever met someone who did it. Can't be as common as this thread makes it look rn.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm 33, and my state school in Glasgow offered Latin at Standard Grade, nobody in my year took it up, but everyone got a term of Latin in second year prior to choosing subjects.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Spanish was exotic in my school

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I went to a state grammar school in High Wycombe where Latin was mandatory up until Year 9.

It desperately wanted to be a public school, or at least have a public school 'ethos', so we also maintained other farcical traditions like senior staff wearing gowns and a complete ban on playing football either competitively or for fun.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I didn't do latin, but I did do archaeology at A-level and our broke-rear end college offered to pay half for us to go to Northern Italy, so I got to see Ostia Antica, the colosseum and forum, Florence, a few art museums, an italian irish pub, our lecturer got sexually harrassed by an old woman, we were nearly kidnapped by a biker gang and I saw some wild horses running through the countryside.

Oh and we stopped off in this little swiss cafe in the alps at dawn and I had the best chocolate I have eaten in my entire life. It was because one of the lads near the front woke up with a testicular torsion, but I got to see the sunrise surrounded by insanely crisp air. That was nice :3:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I was at a state comprehensive and we had to learn Latin up until year 9.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Meanwhile all the colleges in the U.K. have cut all their 2 year btec and equivalent courses because they won’t get funding for them next year, and are only offering 1 year versions instead, although some will have an option to continue on and pay to do a level 4 HNC diploma afterwards.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
a roving band of grammar school prefect boys once kidnapped me and forced me to learn some latin so they could mock my grammatical misunderstandings and pronunciation :(

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

My school offered French, a r German if you wanted to be fancy, and that was it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I didn't do latin, but I did do archaeology at A-level and our broke-rear end college offered to pay half for us to go to Northern Italy, so I got to see Ostia Antica, the colosseum and forum, Florence, a few art museums, an italian irish pub, our lecturer got sexually harrassed by an old woman, we were nearly kidnapped by a biker gang and I saw some wild horses running through the countryside.

Oh and we stopped off in this little swiss cafe in the alps at dawn and I had the best chocolate I have eaten in my entire life. It was because one of the lads near the front woke up with a testicular torsion, but I got to see the sunrise surrounded by insanely crisp air. That was nice :3:

Why were you twisting peoples testicles???

E: this reminds me of when one of the lads in my school shared with us his new wanking technique that involved in his words twisting his bell end like it was a bop it or something. He soon regretted letting that one slip. Anyway I’ll stop posting about wanking, been a very wank heavy posting day.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 4, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Can some more people confirm whether or not Latin was offered at their particular high schools, it's just all so incredibly interesting :)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

keep punching joe posted:

I did Latin at a pretty working glass state school when I was a teenager, wasn't even aware that it was a rare thing.

edit: Remember nothing apart from a series of stories about the adventures of Marcus, Sextus, Flavia, and their slave who escaped/was captured/had his forehead branded with the letter F

My secondary school barely managed to offer Spanish, & only for 5th & 6th years, other than that the languages choices were French, Gaelic & German, & the Gaelic teacher was shared by a handful of schools in the Inverness area IIRC. Pretty sure the Spanish teacher had to cover half the Highlands which would've been a godforsaken job. The Classical Association Of Scotland School's Network says between 500 & 600 pupils a year in Scotland do Latin or Classics exams. 122,000 sat SQA exams at National 5, Higher & Advanced Higher levels in 2020, so yeah, it's a tiny proportion & as CASN say themselves, "mostly from fee-paying schools". Now I'm lazy so I've only checked the curriculum for every secondary in the Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh & half Glasgow local authority areas areas, {side note but boy, school websites are shite) & not one has offered Classics or Latin. Edinburgh City Council schools do offer some Mandarin though which is quite cool, & 1 offered Urdu. I've only touched on 3 of the 32 councils in Scotland but it does give an impression that it's pretty rare up here at least.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I went to an inner city comprehensive that was so rough the BBC recently made a documentary about it, and while we certainly didn't do Latin (it wouldn't surprise me if there was a optional Latin club or something though), we definitely had a number of foreign trips over the years I was there, including a big one to Germany for a week or so. Most of the others were day trips to France or Brugges.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

E: this reminds me of when one of the lads in my school shared with us his new wanking technique that involved in his words twisting his bell end like it was a bop it or something. He soon regretted letting that one slip. Anyway I’ll stop posting about wanking, been a very wank heavy posting day.
UKMT Summer 2021: Latin and Ballroom

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

In regard to the argument that if you are going to teach a language in schools it should be a Modern Foreign Language, I used to work with a young woman from South Wales who had been forced to learn Welsh at school which she considered an absolute waste of time on the basis that hardly anyone speaks Welsh and she would rather have been learning French or German because it was far more useful and English kids were learning those, giving them a competitive advantage over kids at Welsh schools.

So, if you are going for 'immediate usefulness' over all the other factors which may benefit from learning a different language, should Welsh or Gaelic for example be taught in schools? Should languages which were on their last legs 50 years ago be artificially resuscitated in school time?
And if so, where do you draw the line?

If you go into law, medicine, the church, even biology, Latin gets a thorough workout.

(I know I'm on a hiding to nothing with this topic, so I shall leave it after this!)

Pistol_Pete posted:

Can some more people confirm whether or not Latin was offered at their particular high schools, it's just all so incredibly interesting :)

Methinks you are not being entirely serious... much as I find 5 pages of monster munch chat deeply enthralling having never eaten a single MM in my life.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 4, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was home schooled because I was Obviously Gay during section 28 and got the poo poo kicked out of me every time I turned up for new schoolwork because it was perfectly acceptable for LADS to beat up lesbians in the 1990s.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If you’re learning Latin in schools what do you stop teaching to free up time?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

I have no idea how it happened, we just all woke up in the middle of the alps with everyone crowding around one of the art history students in the front of the bus. We were told to get off and go to the cafe, i think one of the senior lecturers had some swiss francs just in case (all our money was in lira because it still existed then) so he bought a big jug of coffee and some bars of chocolate.

We chilled out in this big wooden panelled cafe surrounded by mountains in pre-dawn light. There was a girl I had a crush on that I wanted to go and sit outside with but there was an ambulance out by the coach and I think they didn't want anyone snooping.

By the time we got to the bus, both he and the ambulance had gone. The lecturer in charge had that special academic lack of common sense and refused to tell us what had happened, so obviously there were rumours that it was a stroke, a heart attack, a blood clot from sitting so long, and eventually a virus so we all started panicking until eventually our lecturer told us it was a torsion, it seems to have just happened while he was sitting, it's very rare and we shouldn't worry.

Lot of manspreading on the way back in that coach.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

If you’re learning Latin in schools what do you stop teaching to free up time?

Biology, needlework*, cookery*, RE, PE (or 'being shouted at for not having enough time to change afterwards and being late for the next lesson and getting a detention' as I call it) and art (cutting a picture from a magazine into squares, turning them round 90 degrees and sticking them together again or other complete wastes of time) from my perspective ;)

That's why if it is to be taught it should be an option.

*oh I forgot the new posh names: textiles, resistant materials, and food science.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Kids get mardy over having to learn actually useful stuff like maths because they can’t see how it’ll benefit them, never mind a literally dead language.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Teach kids how to grow their own food and find clean water because they're going to need those skills soon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Butternubs posted:

Teach kids how to grow their own food and find clean water because they're going to need those skills soon.

And how to make and fire a cross-bow, and maybe skin a rabbit and pluck a duck or pigeon and how to make a fire from 3 sticks and a bit of pocket fluff.

I think one of the duties of schools is to introduce kids to subjects they may not get a chance to encounter any other way. I'm sure I've said before how my dad hated maths, was completely anti it (always saying 'scientists are illiterate' nevermind arty-farts being innumerate and PROUD of it), tried to stop me doing A-level maths and physics. Fortunately my mother defended my choices. If it was down to my father, kids would learn + - x / and a few fractions and that would be it. Cease all maths ed at age 8.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm 36 and my school never offered Latin. I had heard of state schools offering Latin but I don't think I've ever met someone who did it. Can't be as common as this thread makes it look rn.

If someone makes a statement like that, and other people in the thread have counter examples you're gonna bet your rear end people will respond with their experiences.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In regard to the argument that if you are going to teach a language in schools it should be a Modern Foreign Language, I used to work with a young woman from South Wales who had been forced to learn Welsh at school which she considered an absolute waste of time on the basis that hardly anyone speaks Welsh and she would rather have been learning French or German because it was far more useful and English kids were learning those, giving them a competitive advantage over kids at Welsh schools.

So, if you are going for 'immediate usefulness' over all the other factors which may benefit from learning a different language, should Welsh or Gaelic for example be taught in schools? Should languages which were on their last legs 50 years ago be artificially resuscitated in school time?
Most older people I know tell the same story about thinking learning Welsh was a waste of time, but nowadays knowing Welsh absolutely does give you a competitive advantage, almost every public-facing job (& iirc literally every public sector job, by law) will ask if you speak Welsh on the application form, and it's a big tick if you do.

Also round here at least all the best schools are Welsh language. Which means you've got a lot of middle class English people desperately trying to teach themselves so they can tell when their kids are swearing at them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Do they ever teach you whether or not Guto Bebb is, in fact, a Star Wars name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Butternubs posted:

I see this come up a lot in memes from libertarian and David Icke types and I wonder what it was they learned in school. I didn't do Latin, but we did cover basic agronomy in biology and water treatment was a whole module in chemistry from GCSE up, because those are among the most important contributions those fields have made to humanity.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And how to make and fire a cross-bow, and maybe skin a rabbit and pluck a duck or pigeon and how to make a fire from 3 sticks and a bit of pocket fluff.
You might get a few of those in biology, chemistry, and physics too if you're lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFkpS9VIRAA