Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
He sound like he has a young kid, I had no idea he is almost retire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Still his best review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnVFYeUrT8M

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

stephenthinkpad posted:

He sound like he has a young kid, I had no idea he is almost retire.

I mean, military retirement after 21 years usually just means that they take the pension and start a second career. Dude’s probably in his early 40s still.

I’m more surprised there was a dog I hadn’t seen

Boxman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 4, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If my goal is just to literally plug something into my TV so I can play PSX Final Fantasy Tactics with a bluetooth xbox controller, and I want to spend as little time customizing/setting up as possible, what is my go-to here? Retroarch on a RPI with bluetooth dongle?

Not interested at all in a long term solution to maintain, just want to play one game and then never touch this solution again.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

If my goal is just to literally plug something into my TV so I can play PSX Final Fantasy Tactics with a bluetooth xbox controller, and I want to spend as little time customizing/setting up as possible, what is my go-to here? Retroarch on a RPI with bluetooth dongle?

Not interested at all in a long term solution to maintain, just want to play one game and then never touch this solution again.
Probably a cheap android tv box

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Martytoof posted:

Android TV Box or an RPI, I'd probably suggest the RPI in case you get a wild hair about something else down the road.

I'd be surprised if you didnt have a laptop or something that you could hook up to a TV already though.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pro click, didn't know about the poop thing

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there any custom firmware for the cat

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is there any custom firmware for the cat

Catocera works well. Still incompatible with BarkOS.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What about Retronyarch?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Boxman posted:

I mean, military retirement after 21 years usually just means that they take the pension and start a second career. Dude’s probably in his early 40s still.

I’m more surprised there was a dog I hadn’t seen

WTF there is a dog, mind blown. I am surprised youtube hasn't recommended that to me.

Slightly on topic, I watched a few higher end emulation videos recently. Do you guys agree around $300 the Xbox SS is the best emulation option (up to PS2/gamecube/PSP etc).

Up to $100 IMO whatever android box you have access to or used nvidia sheld. I am not sure about $200 price point.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2021

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

You could use one of the newer Chromecasts for this, the ones marked Google TV. Only catch is you'll probably want to add in a USB-C PD hub.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

[edit] Got everything set up proper and had a chance to play around with some games. Older console stuff works great, but I'm having issues with N64 and Dreamcast gameplay. Notably choppy/stuttering audio. Cursory Google searches show it's a thing that happens, but they haven't really led me to any solutions for a 351P running 351ELEC. Help please!

Any suggestions? I'm new to this whole ROM/emulator thing, really something just to point me in the right direction would be appreciated :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Manky posted:

You could use one of the newer Chromecasts for this, the ones marked Google TV. Only catch is you'll probably want to add in a USB-C PD hub.

I happen to have one, I'm fascinated. Would I just be using a PSX emu apk?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not really, Dreamcast and N64 is sort of beyond what the 351 can do. No N64 games will even launch on mine and while Dreamcast stuff runs it's always slow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly I think I'm fine just throwing retropi on one of the spare Pi3 or 4s I have. I tried to do retroarch on the CC but it gave me some error and it's probably more work than I want to figure that out for a suboptimal experience.

Thanks!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stephenthinkpad posted:

WTF there is a dog, mind blown. I am surprised youtube hasn't recommended that to me.

Slightly on topic, I watched a few higher end emulation videos recently. Do you guys agree around $300 the Xbox SS is the best emulation option (up to PS2/gamecube/PSP etc).

Up to $100 IMO whatever android box you have access to or used nvidia sheld. I am not sure about $200 price point.
At $100-200 you're looking at high end Android boxes, so not-used/more expensive NVIDIA Shield model, Fire TV Cube, Super Console X King.

At $200-300 that's a dead spot that remains almost soley the domain of the cheaper x86 SBC boards and small form factor PCs, like the Beelink boxes.

Yeah at $300 the Series S offers much more power than Ryzen APU SFF PCs over twice it's price (plus the free controller). Of course this means the process to get Retroarch on it is a pain in the rear end but hey MS isn't going to just let you run anything you want wily nily on this like Android does.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah you should be able to just download Retroarch or Duckstation from the Play Store.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 4, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Martytoof posted:

Honestly I think I'm fine just throwing retropi on one of the spare Pi3 or 4s I have. I tried to do retroarch on the CC but it gave me some error and it's probably more work than I want to figure that out for a suboptimal experience.

Thanks!

Use Lakka, it's super easy. You need to grab a PSX bios but you'll need to do that regardless of the emulator.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Martytoof posted:

Thanks!

PS1 was perfect on my Pi 3 on every game I tried except Chrono Cross, which has stuttered on every cheap emulation box I've ever tried so it's nothing to judge it by. A Pi 4 would probably be perfect for everything.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

You could, easier not to though it depends on how deep in the weeds you want to get with your emu setup. Here's some thoughts from my own messing around.

Easy route: Use an emulator from the play store. I tested Lemuroid quickly which is an easy-to-use frontend that uses pcsx rearmed for PS1. Pretty sure I saw ePSXe and FPse are also available. Once one of those is installed, you only need to worry about getting your game files over. I just plugged a microSD into the hub my Chromecast uses as well as a controller for testing. It picked my 8bitdo up as an xbox controller, seemed like no config required.

Hard and inconvenient route: Sideload Duckstation. Get your device ready following a guide like this and go get the apk for duckstation. It's a slightly better emulator (not to start an argument, I have no issues with those others) so I went the extra steps to get it installed. Annoyingly, once installed it doesn't show up with the other apps, I have to go into Settings - Apps - Show all apps every time I want to launch it. I also found a keyboard useful as I had to manually enter my secondary storage path in order to add it as a game directory.

Oh I see your other reply now, well I typed it all out already so there you go :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All good, thank you for the advice! I might still try it since I just checked and can't immediately find a spare usb-c power adapter for the Pi where I think this will ultimately live. Until then I can at least muck around :)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

frogbs posted:

I guess this is the most appropriate thread for Playdate stuff?

I managed to get on the 2021 batch.

It looks like they sold the first 20,000 in about 20 minutes, pretty impressive! Apparently there was an issue with international orders, i've never seen so much whining on Twitter about a toy. I guess Panic were using a Shopify app/plugin for calculating international shipping. Shopify apps don't depend on Shopify's infrastructure, so they're usually hosted on some crappy VPS and fail under any amount of load, which is apparently exactly what happened for most customers outside the US. A bummer for them, but they can still order one right now, it'll just arrive a little later!

I was able to get in on the first batch as well. I’m really looking forward to the “season” release format for games. It’ll be like a book club for games. I think it would be able to generate enough discussion to be worth its own thread. I can make one tonight when I’m off work unless someone else wants to.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

njsykora posted:

Not really, Dreamcast and N64 is sort of beyond what the 351 can do. No N64 games will even launch on mine and while Dreamcast stuff runs it's always slow.

Fair enough :) Yeah, I just tried loading Smash Bros on my 351P and it was glitchy af. Each character rendered as like a white square lmao.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’ve got a RG351P being shipped across the pacific, but I do have a question for those with hands on experience. I’ve got a buddy that would adore having something like this but he’s not particularly tech savvy and doesn’t even have a laptop or computer in his house. Is it a lost cause trying to get one of these for him? Could I potentially just toss a no intro collection on there and call it a day?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If you can use your computer for the initial setup and ROM loading you’d be good to go until he wants more games or goes out of his way to mess it up.

I haven’t used my PC for my 351V since setting it up and I probably won’t again. It does everything and has everything I want. Done deal.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Warbird posted:

I’ve got a RG351P being shipped across the pacific, but I do have a question for those with hands on experience. I’ve got a buddy that would adore having something like this but he’s not particularly tech savvy and doesn’t even have a laptop or computer in his house. Is it a lost cause trying to get one of these for him? Could I potentially just toss a no intro collection on there and call it a day?

Once you have yours all set up and nice, just make an image of your SD card, flash it to another one (same brand and size) and it should be perfect. You might even be able to turn on a 'kid mode' in emulation station which can make it harder for him to mess things up.

And maybe print this out and stick it in the box for him:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RG351/comments/mjukf9/351elec_shortcuts_cheatsheet/

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Warbird posted:

I’ve just been using mine out of the box with no issues thus far, I’m not very tech savvy either. I just hoping the stock sd card doesn’t crap out on me.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
There's some fiddly stuff with assigning controls and scraping art that you'd definitely want to get buttoned up before handing it off to someone.
Also the way to quit a game, and the proper way to power down, are both somewhat unintuitive. The RetroArch menu is really disorienting. I'd demonstrate them and write them down, because a nontechnical person is just going to mash the power button which can apparently cause problems.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good to hear. I’ll putter with mine and see what’s what. Given that it’s Linux I’m hoping I can get extremely stupid with things.

I’m a related note, I assume we’re doing RasPi rules for SD cards? Something name brand and class 10?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Warbird posted:

Good to hear. I’ll putter with mine and see what’s what. Given that it’s Linux I’m hoping I can get extremely stupid with things.

I’m a related note, I assume we’re doing RasPi rules for SD cards? Something name brand and class 10?

Yeah, and just like Pi, make sure to shut down cleanly

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Apple M1 crushes everything up through GC/Wii, which makes it the most powerful ARM chip (as expected), but no one has working ports of PS2/PS3/360/WiiU emulators so ETA can't test just how good it really is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AMFwyrP5qM

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The United States posted:

Apple M1 crushes everything up through GC/Wii, which makes it the most powerful ARM chip (as expected), but no one has working ports of PS2/PS3/360/WiiU emulators so ETA can't test just how good it really is

Yeah it really is amazing and not just for emulation. Like the other huge thing is how absolutely low power it is compared to everything else.

It’s drat legit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Any desktop box of any vintage (outside of Chromebook box) should be able to run dolphin and ppsspp. And if you have a newish x86 box, you should be able to emulate ps2. If you have a high-end Snapdragon Android phone, you can pay a scammy dev :$10: and get half rear end ps2 emulation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh wow the new iPads are already using the M1.

Guess we know what the next iPhone selling point is gonna be.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not the M1 probably, the M1 only went into the iPad Pro to push it as a laptop replacement since it has the same internals as the current Macbook Pro.

I like how he did make a point of saying no you shouldn’t buy a Mac just for emulation, but it’s drat good at it if you have one for other reasons.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

The United States posted:

Everytime I pick up my entry level $350 iPad I get a little sad because i'm prettysure if it was easier for anyone to develop stuff for it/sideload things we'd have an awesome version of OpenEmu that could run everything up to PS1 flawlessly and be portable as hell with good battery life. iPad's are just ridiculously overpowered for the software they're running and it's a shame!

Edit: Oh lol, this is already sort of a thing, you just need an Apple Developer account: https://wiki.provenance-emu.com/installation-and-usage/installing-provenance

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah RGC has done a video on getting emulation going on iThings, specifically the iPhone.
https://youtu.be/Jek0H5UZ99w

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

You probably don't even need a dev account. If you can get an .ipa of Provenance (or any app, really) you can install it with AltStore

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

351Elec rules, I chucked Epic Pinball into a ZIP, renamed the extension to dosz, threw it into the /msdos folder, scraped it and bang, it just works, even has labelled control mappings.

The beta version has cloud backup/restore too, though you have to set it up on a PC first with rclone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'm tempted to swap back to 351Elec from arkOS; I updated my test SD card to the latest beta last night and the ROM load times seem to be on a par with arkOS now, where previously they were about 10 seconds slower. And there are quite a few UI improvements over arkOS, like quick jumping to a manufacturer (e.g Nintendo) when on the systems list, and manuals support.

There are just a few ports I really appreciate on arkOS that (AFAIK) aren't yet available on 351Elec: Sonic 1/2/CD, Shovel Knight, Spelunky.. :(