Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mazerunner posted:

proof for fall 2022 speculation? besides panderfringe just making poo poo up

Huh? Every developer with a game supposed to be out in 2021 has delayed it by a at least a year. There's zero reason why bungie wouldn't also take the extra time with an excuse ready made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

Huh? Every developer with a game supposed to be out in 2021 has delayed it by a at least a year. There's zero reason why bungie wouldn't also take the extra time with an excuse ready made.

They already used that excuse for why they delayed Witch Queen from Q4 2021 to Q1 2022. I don’t understand why you’re so certain about this. Destiny is a game that lives and dies based on its content momentum and delaying the expansion by a full year total would be catastrophic for its workflow. I’m not saying such a thing is impossible but I am saying it’s extremely unlikely and you’re talking about it like it’s an absolute certainty, like you went into the Switch thread saying Nintendo was gonna stop selling video games.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, I didn't know nothing was coming out this year. Wild.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They made the call to "delay" both since it was a short-term delay (really just a short extension of the previous season). WQ is getting a boot of 4 months down the road, very possibly getting doubled to Fall 2022

This kind of wild speculation is unhelpful, and frankly kind of dumb. Stop.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

This kind of wild speculation is unhelpful, and frankly kind of dumb. Stop.

What? These are things that literally happened... Like, in the past. Been spending too much time in the Vault of Glass? What color is Mars where you are??

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/49359

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/50124

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50475

No speculation to be found here, wild or otherwise!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What? These are things that literally happened... Like, in the past. Been spending too much time in the Vault of Glass? What color is Mars where you are??

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/49359

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/Article/50124

https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/50475

No speculation to be found here, wild or otherwise!

they already delayed it four months, but you have given zero reason why it would be delayed another 8, for a total of one year's delay

like, there's been leaks, right? some reasonable, some not, which I know you've read because you keep spitting even the more outrageous fake stuff as gospel truth (w/o spoilers even), but do you not think that something as huge as another 8 month delay would be absolutely everywhere?? except the only person whose said this at all is panderfringe, who hates destiny and constantly shitposts in this thread, so like, maybe do some critical thinking.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 3, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Mazerunner posted:

they already delayed it four months, but you have given zero reason why it would be delayed another 8, for a total of one year's delay

The second link is their list of reasons why it would be/has been delayed. I don't believe they've confirmed a release date, though. Even your napkin math is far more accuracy than I would dare to claim!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can't imagine how violent the explosion would be in the community if August 24th comes and they said "By the way you won't be playing Witch Queen for over a year from now." Part of me just wants to see that timeline just to see destinythegame devour itself.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

They’ve basically proven year after year that they can get away with Destiny content going extremely stale to the point that 3/4 of their player base vaporizes, only for very single one of them to come back with speed as soon as new content drops. It’s outrageous, sure, and the player base cries and whines and posts about “this is the last straw I’m out” every time. They all come back ever time though. If I was Bungie I’d keep exploiting this behavior every chance I could get, too.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I just started playing battlefield 4!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Orv posted:

I can't imagine how violent the explosion would be in the community if August 24th comes and they said "By the way you won't be playing Witch Queen for over a year from now." Part of me just wants to see that timeline just to see destinythegame devour itself.

That’s the other thing, why would Bungie be hyping up a livestream over a month and a half in advance so that they could deliver bad news to the fanbase?

Oh, right.

Well, aside from that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be fair, like most of their questionable ideas they seem(ed) pretty convinced that the DCV was the right answer that we'd all love. Ultimately the most compelling reason they wouldn't delay Witch Queen for a year is missing out on those $70 deluxe edition purchases this year if they delayed the pre-orders into next year.

But also at this point Bungie is capable of blowing off their entire leg with a MAC cannon at the drop of a hat so :shrug:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
are there any tricks to not getting immediately owned by an invading player in gambit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Seams posted:

are there any tricks to not getting immediately owned by an invading player in gambit.

When you get invaded look at where your teammates are and learn where the invader will spawn in accordance with that. They'll only spawn in a couple places where your team is either thinnest - 1 person - or no-one is there. Learn that, then when you hear the prompt get in cover from that position and hopefully, ideally have an ability, special or heavy ammo to nuke them when they come for you, after they've killed your teammates who are never paying attention.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

around this time last year, bungie explained that they were going to delete 11 crucible maps and add exactly 0 new maps with the concurrent $40 expansion. I remember reading angry posts following that announcement arguing that there's absolutely no way they would do that and they just weren't showing how many new maps they would add. Then bungie deleted 11 crucible maps and added 0, neither for free nor in their $40 expansion ($70 deluxe).

I won't make any predictions about what bungie will or won't do here, but I will say that sequence of events broke my barometer of "too ridiculous a notion to be real" for this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That is entirely fair, like I said I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow did it again.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Orv posted:

When you get invaded look at where your teammates are and learn where the invader will spawn in accordance with that. They'll only spawn in a couple places where your team is either thinnest - 1 person - or no-one is there. Learn that, then when you hear the prompt get in cover from that position and hopefully, ideally have an ability, special or heavy ammo to nuke them when they come for you, after they've killed your teammates who are never paying attention.

Or you can just kill them lol. Gambit people are easy to murder

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Or you can just kill them lol. Gambit people are easy to murder

I usually have to hide and hope the timer runs out or a teammate kills them because otherwise I get one shot without even seeing them

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

People who invade in gambit are usually not very creative and will often go to the same spots, so many times you can just circle around and sneak up on them from behind.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

They’ve basically proven year after year that they can get away with Destiny content going extremely stale to the point that 3/4 of their player base vaporizes, only for very single one of them to come back with speed as soon as new content drops. It’s outrageous, sure, and the player base cries and whines and posts about “this is the last straw I’m out” every time. They all come back ever time though. If I was Bungie I’d keep exploiting this behavior every chance I could get, too.

I mean, what is so bad about that? It's ok to not play a game and actually play other stuff. Sounds more healthy than staying and complaining. It's means people like the game but the repetition gets stale and new stuff isn't available fast enough.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Eej posted:

PC players all use Discord so you're gonna be disappointed if you're expecting them on comms!!

Playstation crew is also all discord and we have a PSN party w/ like 50 people in it we use as a voice lobby ad to post some LFGs since some people don't check discord.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Comms means voice chat.. Does pc gang really just rely on written chat? I'm sure that works for raids but it must make trials really hard

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Comms means voice chat.. Does pc gang really just rely on written chat? I'm sure that works for raids but it must make trials really hard
No, most everyone uses voice. But we use voice chat through Discord, not the in-game voice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Collateral Damage posted:

No, most everyone uses voice. But we use voice chat through Discord, not the in-game voice.

Christ, I routinely forget there IS in-game voice. It's inexplicably like 20db quieter than it ought to be and sounds a tin can telephone

I have a sinking fear that the 2022 "fix" for crossplay comms is just letting everyone use the in-game voice chat. I hope they don't waste too much time on the issue because cross lobbies are just going to run an Xbox Party or a Discord Voice Channel off their phone/laptop

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can't die in gambit if you don't play gambit.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
i gambit invade by beelining for the person with the most motes and if i kill them I win

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I feel like most developers are just silently assuming that everyone will use Discord, letting them not implement their own comms. Years ago I’d say this was lazy but Discord works well enough (better than like 99% of in game) and everyone uses it, so go nuts devs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I don't want to hear randos either way, so I never get why people freak out about multiplayer games not having voice.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I had to suffer through some survival matches for some quest or other, I just disabled text chat and put on a podcast and vibed through it, oblivious to whatever part of my performance my teammates were surely furious about

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It wouldn't be Destiny if the plan wasn't "Go use some other 3rd party app"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's the best way to play, but there are some strikes / nightfalls where at least one person needs to actively engage with the mechanics, and I generally don't realise nobody's doing it until I realise we've been there a while.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seams posted:

I usually have to hide and hope the timer runs out or a teammate kills them because otherwise I get one shot without even seeing them

Gambit is PvE, and PvE players are so easy to murder lmao. Just doing a tiny bit of peak shotting and they instantly vaporize, or God forbid strafing back in forth if you are out in the open.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Gambit is PvE, and PvE players are so easy to murder lmao. Just doing a tiny bit of peak shotting and they instantly vaporize, or God forbid strafing back in forth if you are out in the open.

If they're asking for advice on how to not get instantly vaporized by a gambit invader I don't think "lmao just use your pvp skills" is a helpful response.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/joegoroth/status/1422951516562886657?s=21

TL;DR:
Two old maps in S16, one new map in S17, one more old map in S18

Rift in 2022 possibly, also new modes in 2022??

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah I just read that. Sucks that it takes so much time to port old maps over. Some new maps in Season 15 would have been nice.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I feel like they should have been working on that before they removed half the maps from the game.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

We're probably going to have to use discord for crossplay groups, because Bungie is not putting in any way to communicate cross platform in game until WQ.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

I feel like they should have been working on that before they removed half the maps from the game.

The work they were doing before was to keep the maps we have now.

https://twitter.com/joegoroth/status/1422951524649500678

Orv
May 4, 2011
Remember when they upgraded their engine and pipeline to reduce content rendering time from like a week per thing? It has helped immensely, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RocketRaygun posted:

We're probably going to have to use discord for crossplay groups, because Bungie is not putting in any way to communicate cross platform in game until WQ.

I think that will be the norm even after they activate fireteam chat, just because of how much better Xbox party and Discord Voice work.

Turra posted:

The work they were doing before was to keep the maps we have now.

https://twitter.com/joegoroth/status/1422951524649500678

Are you... Telling her to read the thing she just posted? I think she was remarking on the lack of progress between Beyond light and season 16, well over a year later