Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

pentyne posted:

Yeah but making the Orc Cop "one of the good ones" when literally all other orcs are presented as thugs and gangbangers was like grade A chud bait.

"Fairy Lives Don't Matter" too, I don't know how else to read that.

The point is that Will Smith is a bigoted cop, right? And he's not going to give the only Orc Cop a fair shake. The film as a whole is about how different poor communities, fictional and otherwise, are played off against each other by a system that benefits the privileged. It's fairly milquetoast with it - placing "the cops" as one of these communities is pretty pathetic and has aged like milk - but it's not exactly a thin blue line anthem.

Chance had a pretty good take on it at the time:
https://twitter.com/chancetherapper/status/946216696678899712

Gwen posted:

i'm willing to entertain the possibility the guy who signed off or insisted on the total reworking of a boring buddy cop but fantasy screenplay into a gritty edgelord "racially charged" and otherwise thematically barren buddy cop movie might have some confused notions about race and police violence

Right, he's a Hollywood liberal dork with some naked hangups about public service, but he's not voting Trump and petitioning for laws that let you mow down protesters in your car or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Roth posted:

Every DC movie is a director is a chud*

*Excluding James Gunn as he directed a Marvel movie, making him a centrist

lmao

josh04 posted:

Right, he's a Hollywood liberal dork with some naked hangups about public service, but he's not voting Trump and petitioning for laws that let you mow down protesters in your car or anything.

Yeah, this is the impression I had of him.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i don't disagree and if it sounds like I do I've communicated this badly. here's my point: David Ayer and his production crew over the years have made movies about rude dudes that I thought years ago were purposeful in their use of toxically masculine traits like casual racism, bullying through emasculation, and dreaming of violent heroism. They did not shy away from the fact that people can be and are incentivized to be brutal, ruthless assholes within institutions that hand out power to people who should not have it. This is the lens through which I watched their movies and Bright made it clear to me personally that it's just an aesthetic they like working in regardless of it serves a cogent purpose.

Which in my eyes means they are enamored with assholes being assholes for the sake of it, which makes everything retrospectively a lot harder to enjoy for me personally. I do not think Ayer is particularly right-leaning.

I can totally see none of these being deal breakers if you're a fan. No judgment here.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 4, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah, that seems fair enough. Thanks!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It really is remarkable how easily this thread will drat anyone over vauge twitter drama unless they're a white male that directs DC movies specifically.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

pentyne posted:

Yeah but making the Orc Cop "one of the good ones" when literally all other orcs are presented as thugs and gangbangers was like grade A chud bait.

"Fairy Lives Don't Matter" too, I don't know how else to read that.
Will Smith improvised that line.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sarcopenia posted:

Will Smith improvised that line.

Was it confirmed that was improvised? I remember were a lot of people wondering if that was in the script or an off-the-cuff joke they kept in the final film at the time.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

Was it confirmed that was improvised? I remember were a lot of people wondering if that was in the script or an off-the-cuff joke they kept in the final film at the time.
Checked it and you're right! I remembered it as Will Smith himself cooperating it but it was Max Landis so I would definently take that with a grain of salt

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

It really is remarkable how easily this thread will drat anyone over vauge twitter drama unless they're a white male that directs DC movies specifically.

Yeah it's really weird how just vague feelings of animosity aren't accepted as proof that someone is a racist, really nailed that one

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

No way Suicide Squad is anywhere near the worst.

The cut we got? Absolutely it is in the running.

Have you perhaps heard about Katana? She has Flag's back. I would recommend not getting killed by her sword. It traps the souls of her victims. That is dialogue Joel Kinnaman has to deliver with a straight face.

Although not unlike Trank's Fan4stic while one is sympathetic to a movie being Frankensteined by the studio one is also doubtful it was a good movie in the first place.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

Have you perhaps heard about Katana? She has Flag's back. I would recommend not getting killed by her sword. It traps the souls of her victims. That is dialogue Joel Kinnaman has to deliver with a straight face.

Although not unlike Trank's Fan4stic while one is sympathetic to a movie being Frankensteined by the studio one is also doubtful it was a good movie in the first place.

The best part of Suicide Squad is the approximately 30 seconds Slipknot is in the movie, never before or since has a character been more blatantly just there to demonstrate a plot contrivance

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Piell posted:

The best part of Suicide Squad is the approximately 30 seconds Slipknot is in the movie, never before or since has a character been more blatantly just there to demonstrate a plot contrivance

He deserves a prequel just out of pity.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Are we taking about Suicide Squad or The Suicide Squad?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlWSsZwLn0

Will be curious to see what he has to say about the sequel trilogy when he gets around to videos on those, I dig this channel.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dawgstar posted:

How quickly we forget Elektra and Steel and the made-for-tv Marvel movies. Or Supergirl.

I'm not saying Suicide Squad is good, I'm saying we have some very dire old Superhero movies people forgot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This is Katana/ she’s got my back/ she can cut all you in half with one sword stroke just like mowing the lawn/ I would advise not getting killed by her/ her sword traps the souls of its victims

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Piell posted:

The first thing Slipknot - who I remind the court is the man who can climb anything* - does is punch a woman so I assume that's so we don't care when he dies so it's even more to show off the gimmick that is never used again until arguably El Diablo at the end.

What's funny is that's based on the comics where Captain Boomerang also convinces Slipknot to run to see if Waller is telling the truth about their bombs but there we've, you know, seen Slipknot before in other issues of comic books so while he's a goofy C-lister with a dumb gimmick at least he's established already, you know?

To say something nice about Suicide Squad it is the most I've ever liked Jai Courtney in a feature presentation.

*They really lay the burden of clunky exposition on Joel Kinnaman's shoulders. It's super unfair.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's apparent that Slipknot rapidly exiting the film is supposed to be happening in the opening minutes and suffers from a reedit that adds introductions for every main character before we get to that point. You can hear all about it and more in my video essay "Sixteen attempts to talk to you about 'Suicide Squad'" from last year.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't think SS is a good movie, but I also don't think it's a bad one. The cast is great, there's some cool shots in there (the enchantress transformation scene is super slick), it's got a diverse cast and the big message of the film is that US interventionism inevitably blows up in their face, which is a far better message than most cape flicks

Also I'm pretty sympathetic to "WB hosed up the film" angle. The fact that WB handed the editing of the film over to the company that edited the trailer speaks volumes. I obviously can't say for sure if Ayers product would have been better, but I'd love if they pulled a Snyder cut out of the whole thing

All things considered there's plenty of cape films worse than SS. X-men 3, that last x-men film with the pheonix again (also a product of meddling, as I understand), Catwoman, Superman 4, Superman Returns, Thor, etc

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

josh04 posted:

It's apparent that Slipknot rapidly exiting the film is supposed to be happening in the opening minutes and suffers from a reedit that adds introductions for every main character before we get to that point. You can hear all about it and more in my video essay "Sixteen attempts to talk to you about 'Suicide Squad'" from last year.

Proclick btw

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

McCloud posted:

All things considered there's plenty of cape films worse than SS. X-men 3, that last x-men film with the pheonix again (also a product of meddling, as I understand), Catwoman, Superman 4, Superman Returns, Thor, etc

Don't forget the MCU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*ed piskor voice*

the only good superhero movie was Meteor Man

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Roth posted:

Don't forget the MCU

I did mention Thor, though probably could have added thor 2

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

McCloud posted:

Also I'm pretty sympathetic to "WB hosed up the film" angle. The fact that WB handed the editing of the film over to the company that edited the trailer speaks volumes. I obviously can't say for sure if Ayers product would have been better, but I'd love if they pulled a Snyder cut out of the whole thing

Honestly that fact about the movie still blows my mind. I really can't think of any other examples of a trailer company getting power over the final cut.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

McCloud posted:

I don't think SS is a good movie, but I also don't think it's a bad one. The cast is great, there's some cool shots in there (the enchantress transformation scene is super slick), it's got a diverse cast and the big message of the film is that US interventionism inevitably blows up in their face, which is a far better message than most cape flicks

Honestly SS is worse than Thor even if the film implied by what we know of the original cut was likely much better. Also Thor isn't even really in the running for worst MCU film personally. Still got Thor2, Avengers 2, Doctor Strange, and that Inhumans thing that was released in theatres for some reason. It is infuriating how many Marvel movies are just tv two parters from a mediocre tv show they have decided to release as movies.

Roth posted:

Don't forget the MCU
you okay?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Srice posted:

Honestly that fact about the movie still blows my mind. I really can't think of any other examples of a trailer company getting power over the final cut.

I imagine a panicked and/or greedy WB executive who was blinded by what got Guardians over handed it to them with vague "punch it up and make it like Guardians! Also Deadpool!" instructions and the trailer company did what trailer companies do and make the first part of the movie a bunch of trailers and give us a new licensed, not even terribly symbolic, song roughly every minute.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

One thing I got totally wrong about Suicide Squad is thinking that half the pop tracks were in the original cut and the other half were additions by the trailer company. The film was apparently completely scored, lol.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I imagine a panicked and/or greedy WB executive who was blinded by what got Guardians over handed it to them with vague "punch it up and make it like Guardians! Also Deadpool!" instructions and the trailer company did what trailer companies do and make the first part of the movie a bunch of trailers and give us a new licensed, not even terribly symbolic, song roughly every minute.
and then and exec from the same team decided to more or less purposely tank the actually intended to be like Deadpool movie they made with some of the same characters.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i watched suicide squad and was very confused, there wasn't a single firefighter anywhere in that thing

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

make a sequel name it Homicide Harem

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

*They really lay the burden of clunky exposition on Joel Kinnaman's shoulders. It's super unfair.

"Her heart's out! We can end this!"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

McCloud posted:

I did mention Thor, though probably could have added thor 2

Thor 2 is such an astoundingly [dial up static noise] of a movie.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Terrible Opinions posted:

and then and exec from the same team decided to more or less purposely tank the actually intended to be like Deadpool movie they made with some of the same characters.

Birds of Prey, I'm guessing?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah Birds of Prey seems to have been deemed just not worth advertising at all.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

josh04 posted:

I remember this from before, and I do feel that it’s a very thoughtful essay as well as incredibly well produced. That said, I do find myself disagreeing profoundly with the assumptions the argument is built upon, specifically this:

00:02:25 “So I’m not here to talk here about the characterisation, the plotting or the acting of the film Suicide Squad. In almost all big-budget films technical qualities like these are of a fixed, professional level which does not merit comment, and what comment it receives is most often pseudo-intellectual sophistry.”

The idea that formal elements such as characterization, plotting and acting (and perhaps editing, cinematography as well?) are of “fixed professional level” in big budget filmmaking and therefore uniform and not worthy of discussion is, I feel, fundamentally wrong. The first problem with such a statement is that it doesn’t define what this fixed professional level actually is, just that it is above criticism. There was a great post quite a number of pages back that discussed the difference between objective and subjective analyses, and when it comes to characterization, plotting (I don’t think those two need to be separate in all honesty) and acting, they are both craft (in terms of the tools and mechanisms that inform the discipline) but also art (how those tools and mechanisms are deployed in potentially infinite variations to the end result). So, in a big budget production the craft will most likely be of a fixed professional level, but the art will be anything but.

And yes, it is a thin line between craft and art, one that bleeds together inexorably. But, if we’re talking about Jaws, specifically its narrative, I do not think it’s wrong to discuss how exceptionally that film’s story is structured, how the central conflict is ever changing and moving and blending with the characters creating a propulsive experience. How wonderfully it communicates it’s themes through the drama.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t think Suicide Squad and Jaws feature equally adept storytelling because they’re both big budget films operating at a “fixed professional level”.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

"Her heart's out! We can end this!"

Flashback to being told a billion times to cut off the enemies' limbs in Dead Space.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

*ed piskor voice*

the only good superhero movie was Meteor Man

You know he loved the HBO Spawn cartoon.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

You know he loved the HBO Spawn cartoon.

I am quoting him almost directly lol he loved Meteor Man as a kid

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Alaois posted:

I am quoting him almost directly lol he loved Meteor Man as a kid

Well, he’s right. Meteor Man is the perfect film. Also the Marvel comic adaptation where Robert Townsend teams up with Spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

One day I will double feature Bio-Dome and Meteor Man