Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

whatever it is it is dope

bless homebrew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It is emulation, sort of, but the most relevant point is that it's the same emulation that's used to play PSP titles from the PlayStation Store. The only difference is that instead of using the built-in emulator to run a game directly, the built-in emulator is used to run a modded version of the PSP firmware, which can then run disc-dump games and the like.

Yeah but what I was getting at is that you can play stuff not on the Vita store by transfering the file from a PC or PS3 without hacking your Vita and it's perfectly legal. You just can't with Crisis Core because it never had a digital release.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Itshappening.gif

https://twitter.com/Rinnegatamante/status/1386008658019069953?s=20

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah but what I was getting at is that you can play stuff not on the Vita store by transfering the file from a PC or PS3 without hacking your Vita and it's perfectly legal. You just can't with Crisis Core because it never had a digital release.

Who cares hack the planet

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Marx Headroom posted:

Who cares hack the planet

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
The vita would have been perfect if it'd had more ram.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The vita would have been perfect if they’d supported it for more than 5 minutes tbh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The vita was great; the market had moved on.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

TheCenturion posted:

The vita would have been perfect if it'd had more ram.

It has more RAM than a PS3

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Has anyone tried a glass protector on an oled vita? does it reduce the sensitivity on the touch panel?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have some kind of gorilla glass protector on mine and the touch controls seem fine? Honestly haven't tested sensitivity much without the protector

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can you only use the store on the vita to search and buy games? I tried using the store website but it refuses to show anything before ps4.

Even Google links to something like "psone classics" take me to the store front page.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kingtheninja posted:

Can you only use the store on the vita to search and buy games? I tried using the store website but it refuses to show anything before ps4.

Pretty much. You can only use the in-built store on the Vita or the PS3 to buy older system titles.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Even Google links to something like "psone classics" take me to the store front page.

Give this a whirl from the Vita browser, it should at least be easier to navigate
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3761351&pagenumber=451&perpage=40#post513907485

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've got my Vita modded to use an SD card, if I mod the Vita TV the same way can I swap the sd2vita between them and play everything that way?

I remember after getting the Vita TV that it wasn't all that user friendly so this might not work as easily as I'd like.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Jolo posted:

I've got my Vita modded to use an SD card, if I mod the Vita TV the same way can I swap the sd2vita between them and play everything that way?

I remember after getting the Vita TV that it wasn't all that user friendly so this might not work as easily as I'd like.

No idea, but I'd be interested to hear the answer if you try it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jolo posted:

As long as they’re both activated with the same PSN account it should work, I’m pretty sure the cards are linked to the accounts rather than the specific consoles.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Jolo posted:

As long as they're on the same version of firmware and tied to the same PSN ID you can swap your card between the two. I have two Vita memory cards and a SD2Vita that I swap between my Vita and PS TV depending on what I want to play.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Process on the PSTV has been super rocky. Being able to connect the Vita to a PC directly via USB is so nice while the PSTV has to connect wirelessly and that has created so many hiccups.

Content Manager on my laptop on the wifi had to be installed in Windows XP compatibility mode because it couldn't dl an update to install otherwise. Then Finalhe couldn't connect to the PSTV until I thought you try it in compatibility mode too.

After hours of trial and error I think it finally copied though!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Are there ps1 classics available in the ps store on a non hacked ps vita? I'm trying to decide if I want to invest time in hacking my vita (the idea of going to these sites and downloading the hack executables on my home PC squicks me out from an virus/malware perspective) or if I can just see what is available from the ps1and buy it...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's not recommended to use a vita without an sd card adapter, which requires CFW. The original memory cards are hideously overpriced and failure-prone.

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Are there ps1 classics available in the ps store on a non hacked ps vita? I'm trying to decide if I want to invest time in hacking my vita (the idea of going to these sites and downloading the hack executables on my home PC squicks me out from an virus/malware perspective) or if I can just see what is available from the ps1and buy it...

You can hack the Vita AND buy PS1 games on it.

There's no real advantage to NOT doing it.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's not recommended to use a vita without an sd card adapter, which requires CFW. The original memory cards are hideously overpriced and failure-prone.

Yeah, I was very sad when my 16 GB card just broke one day for no reason and I lost EVERYTHING. :smith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Good news, depending on the firmware you have already all the hacks can be run directly on the console.

And if not, nobody has had any issues with the hacks provided by long time respected members of the scene so you’d be the first person ever to get stung by it if it happened.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yuu Morisawa posted:

Yeah, I was very sad when my 16 GB card just broke one day for no reason and I lost EVERYTHING. :smith:

Oh for sure, if you're stuck on OEM cards for whatever reason use Content Manager to make backups thoroughly and often.

I use SD2Vita and it works perfectly though. Real embarrassment of riches. I have like 3-4 pages of apps installed at any time now.

Currently working through Walking Dead, switching to Hotshots Golf on the go (it's really good and I don't even like golf) and finishing up Gravity Rush (my fav, maybe one of my fav games ever) on cozy quiet evenings.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If the memory card dies, is it possible to hack your vita at that point to get the sd card adapter thing on it, or do you need to do it before the card failure?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

If the memory card dies, is it possible to hack your vita at that point to get the sd card adapter thing on it, or do you need to do it before the card failure?

Depends on the model. If it’s an OG fat then you need a memory card to apply the hack in the first place, if it’s a slim then you can do it without a memory card because it has the user accessible onboard storage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Always hack your vita. Between the flaky cards from sony and the fact that sony seems to be just itching to kill the vita store, you’ll be glad you did

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have 3 vitas.

A TV that I hacked and then never did anything with.
A v1 that I hacked and then never did anything with.
A v2 that I copied my v1 stuff onto and then never did anything with.

I'm pretty sure I am covered.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You need to keep a fourth vita in a safety deposit box in case you need to flee your home.

Then a fifth vita buried in a location only you know the location of, with riddles and deadly traps awaiting those who dare seek it out.

Edit: guess I should hack mine. What's the best place to start? I imagine things have changed greatly since the last time I looked this up.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
https://vita.hacks.guide

I doubt much has changed, except maybe the names of some things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If the guide tells you to unlink your memory card make sure you do it or poo poo goes real wrong real fast.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Actually the guide has changed a bit, a new method was devised to streamline the hacking process for newer firmwares. However the author decided to remove the 3.60 portion of the guide because the new process was more "simplified". I get that it's easier to just tell people to update from their consoles and start from 3.73, but it doesn't get any more simple for 3.60 vita owners than to visit a website and have a hacked vita.

Tldr if your vita is already on firmware 3.60 then just start from here https://vita.hacks.guide/installing-henkaku

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
The memory card broke before downgrading was a thing and I didn't have an SD2Vita at the time, so I had to save up money to play anything. :smith:

Ignis posted:

Actually the guide has changed a bit, a new method was devised to streamline the hacking process for newer firmwares. However the author decided to remove the 3.60 portion of the guide because the new process was more "simplified". I get that it's easier to just tell people to update from their consoles and start from 3.73, but it doesn't get any more simple for 3.60 vita owners than to visit a website and have a hacked vita.

Tldr if your vita is already on firmware 3.60 then just start from here https://vita.hacks.guide/installing-henkaku

I found this out recently when I went to check how to hack the Vita using Linux (switched to Linux recently, already had setup Enso years ago). It's weird to see how the guides change when you reread after a year or two.

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
I wish I had a PS TV so I could play stuff on a TV or monitor. I remember reading somewhere that they were really cheap about 5 years ago and I feel like I missed out. :smith:

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You could look into Vitadock, a project for using a Vita on a 3D printed dock, Nintendo Switch style. It uses a raspberry pi to handle streaming to TV thru HDMI.

Showcase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iIVMW3DivI
Github: https://github.com/SilentNightx/VitaDockPlus

The main plugin behind the Vitadock is vita-udcd-uvc; if you just want a barebone setup without investing on a dock and a Pi, you could always just use that plugin on its own.
https://github.com/xerpi/vita-udcd-uvc

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I know design is not exactly Sony’s strong point, but this goes too far.

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami

Ignis posted:

You could look into Vitadock, a project for using a Vita on a 3D printed dock, Nintendo Switch style. It uses a raspberry pi to handle streaming to TV thru HDMI.

Showcase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iIVMW3DivI
Github: https://github.com/SilentNightx/VitaDockPlus

The main plugin behind the Vitadock is vita-udcd-uvc; if you just want a barebone setup without investing on a dock and a Pi, you could always just use that plugin on its own.
https://github.com/xerpi/vita-udcd-uvc

:eyepop:

Sounds good to me, just need money to buy the equipment.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
e: wrong thread

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 25, 2021

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i ordered gundam sd g generation g genesis and holy butts this game came on two carts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol that name