Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I guess I could gently caress around and make an E-Dub like the way that Canadian did with an old-school Suzuki.

I have a ratty T-dub and now all I need is everything else. IDK if I'm crafty enough to knock together an electric bike tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is it bad I'm tempted to buy a used school drz from Socal Supermoto for $3k? It includes a free school / track day so it's really only $2700.

I should add I'm hundreds of miles away and won't be able to pick it up for almost 3 months.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

captainOrbital posted:

I guess I could gently caress around and make an E-Dub like the way that Canadian did with an old-school Suzuki.

I have a ratty T-dub and now all I need is everything else. IDK if I'm crafty enough to knock together an electric bike tho.

It already is electric says so right there

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I am extremely here for an e dub

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drat, that one looks so clean.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Is it bad I'm tempted to buy a used school drz from Socal Supermoto for $3k? It includes a free school / track day so it's really only $2700.

I should add I'm hundreds of miles away and won't be able to pick it up for almost 3 months.

2700 is not a bad deal for a drzsm but it really boils down to how much you trust the SoCal supermoto mechanics.

Either way, as long as it’s got a mechanical timing chain tensioner it’s probably fine from that regard and you can get pistons and rings easy if it’s really been run that hard.

E: looking closer that’s not a true SM. It’s either an E or S with upside down forks or it’s an SM with an E or S swing arm

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

When and why did routing the exhaust under the seat on sportbikes stop being a thing? Seems like it was a brief fad from what I've seen online, I've seen older Kawasakis, Yamahas, and I think GSXRs that did it for a time.

Anyway this is a pretty good looking R1 in Phoenix, AZ, for $7k if anyone is in the area. 2005 but seems pretty immaculate and only 13.4k miles
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/d/goodyear-2005-yamaha-r1/7360482580.html

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't know (CBR600RR still has it, but that bike hasn't been updated in a long time afaik), but I have another question: what is the purpose of these cozys around the brake reservoir? Something absorbent in the event it boils over/leaks?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

RightClickSaveAs posted:

When and why did routing the exhaust under the seat on sportbikes stop being a thing? Seems like it was a brief fad from what I've seen online, I've seen older Kawasakis, Yamahas, and I think GSXRs that did it for a time.

Anyway this is a pretty good looking R1 in Phoenix, AZ, for $7k if anyone is in the area. 2005 but seems pretty immaculate and only 13.4k miles
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/d/goodyear-2005-yamaha-r1/7360482580.html

omg yes, that's by far the best look for exhausts there is.
However, i can totally imagine that it makes the seat very warm. Anyone with under seat exhausts who can say how bad it heats up the seat?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I do know those are to help keep the plastic reservoirs from getting discolored and beat up by the sun when it's outside. Also yet another impulse buy farkle where you find a color to match the bike, like a little collectible tea cozy :c00l:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They started out as a thing for racers so they didn’t get distracted by the brake fluid sloshing around out of the corner of their eye.

Then it got cargo culted into street riding

That’s my understanding of it

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
It's fine, I've never burned myself on one, while high mount side pipes always claim a little bit of skin.

The undertail exhaust sort of came from the final two strokes, where you had to find places for two or four expansion chambers. A RG500 just had exhausts sticking out all over the place. Moving to the chunky under-belly exhaust style was originally for "mass centralization", and I think Buell were one of the first manufacturers to do it, but when catalytic converters and emissions standards finally reached motorcycles, that's when it really took off.

The CBR600RR still does it because that bike dates to Bush's first term, and I think the Daytona 675 was really CBR influenced, and definitely from the same era.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They started out as a thing for racers so they didn’t get distracted by the brake fluid sloshing around out of the corner of their eye.

That makes more sense. Yeah they are definitely on race bikes so I figured there must be a valid point to it but wasn't sure what!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I would like to take a literbike out for a leisurely spin on the highway someday. My supersport is really fast and I'm really curious now.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ohhh that totally makes more sense. Because just now thinking through it logically, I've never see people cover the rear brake reservoir, and that one is also clear plastic with a lot of sun exposure...

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
"The sloshing brake fluid in the reservoir distracted me!"
-Chaseontwowheels, Yammienoob, et al

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

2700 is not a bad deal for a drzsm but it really boils down to how much you trust the SoCal supermoto mechanics.

Either way, as long as it’s got a mechanical timing chain tensioner it’s probably fine from that regard and you can get pistons and rings easy if it’s really been run that hard.

E: looking closer that’s not a true SM. It’s either an E or S with upside down forks or it’s an SM with an E or S swing arm

I trust them when they say it doesn't need anything at the moment, but they unload bikes when they're taking too much time to maintain / have too much downtime so obviously it's not a pristine example. However the not true SM thing is a deal killer for me.

LimaBiker posted:

omg yes, that's by far the best look for exhausts there is.
However, i can totally imagine that it makes the seat very warm. Anyone with under seat exhausts who can say how bad it heats up the seat?

My D675 had that and I only really noticed it at traffic lights. Even then I felt more warmth from the engine on my legs if I was squidding it up in shorts than I do from the under seat exhaust wearing pants.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Literbikes with pilot roads are always worth a chuckle. Yeah I want the fastest goddamn bike cause I'm so fast and tough but also hey gotta watch your money and whoa take it easy it might be slippery out there better get some good wet tyres!!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

there isn't a :rolleyes: big enough

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

I trust them when they say it doesn't need anything at the moment, but they unload bikes when they're taking too much time to maintain / have too much downtime so obviously it's not a pristine example. However the not true SM thing is a deal killer for me.

Maybe its worth asking them if its an SM with the E or S swingarm? If there is anyone who has a pile of swingarms laying around that could be swapped on, its Socal supermoto

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FBS posted:

UNDER 18 ONLY!!!!!!!!

:chloe:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I read that as “if you just got your license, don’t call me,” not under 18 only.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

To be fair, these are genuinely terrifying to ride and do give the sensation of being immensely fast because the brakes and suspension are Harley level and not remotely up to the task.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I read that as “if you just got your license, don’t call me,” not under 18 only.

:thejoke:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna dis it on the basis of it being ~150 hp sent through early 90s tires, suspension and brakes, until I considered that I have some idea of how naked bikes get designed and the Rex probably has most of the same poo poo. (I definitely have ZX11 cams, too.)

Least the tires are better now! But I'm kinda curious to see if the same Good PO did anything fun to the shocks, cause I haven't opened those up yet.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

I would like to take a literbike out for a leisurely spin on the highway someday. My supersport is really fast and I'm really curious now.
I'd highly recommend it if you get a chance to take a buddy's or do it on a loaner! As someone who commuted on one for a short time I quickly learned the many downsides; you'll never get the chance to tap into anywhere near the full potential outside of a couple of seconds ripping on it to merge onto the freeway or pass someone, and going long straight distances in that riding position gets old fast. Does feel really solid at highway speeds though and is also nice to cruise along at 80 MPH in top gear at ~6k RPMs, that's where any semblance of fuel economy you could ever hope for would be found

Slavvy posted:

Literbikes with pilot roads are always worth a chuckle. Yeah I want the fastest goddamn bike cause I'm so fast and tough but also hey gotta watch your money and whoa take it easy it might be slippery out there better get some good wet tyres!!
I thought those tires looked odd on there haha, completely look like they should be on something smaller or more tourer-y.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

I was gonna dis it on the basis of it being ~150 hp sent through early 90s tires, suspension and brakes, until I considered that I have some idea of how naked bikes get designed and the Rex probably has most of the same poo poo. (I definitely have ZX11 cams, too.)

Least the tires are better now! But I'm kinda curious to see if the same Good PO did anything fun to the shocks, cause I haven't opened those up yet.

No.

No.

The rex is nothing like a zzr, nothing at all. The rex can go around corners, generally does what you tell it to and hasn't got a frame made of udon noodles. It also has adequate brakes, working suspension and the weight is mostly in the right places. It also doesn't have drastically more power than the bike can cope with and it's generally made properly.

Do you actually have zx11 cams in there or are you referring to the interchangeability? Cause if so you should have like an extra 25hp and some significant jetting changes as well as a limiter/timing modification to get the extra revs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

I'd recommend a muscle bike like a Bandit 1200 or a ZRX.

Its less "whoops I accidentally pulled a wheelie at 80mph and looped it" (although you can do it), and more "Oh wow this is going to pull my arms out of the sockets, whoops I accidentally did 120mph on an onramp"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that's my occasional pessimism in action. Not having a ZX11 in front of me to directly compare (or your breadth of experience) I just figured "naked bikes tend to be partsbin specials of sportbikes" and I know the Rex owes a fair amount to the Zephyr and the ZX11, so that's how I got there.

And yeah, mine does have the ZX11 cams. I pulled the cam dimensions for the stockers and the ZX11s when I did my valve shims a couple years ago, and checked them with my grandpa's Mitutoyo calipers. It's also got the suggested Dynojet jet kit for ZX cams and aftermarket exhaust, which I confirmed when I cleaned the carbs. I haven't investigated the timing and I left the ktric module plugged in. Despite having been threatening to do the carb sync for like a year and a half and never getting to it, it still runs like the goddamn business.

I've said before that despite the abuse I've heaped on it since, I really lucked into this bike. I was prepared to buy just a halfway decent Rex but I ended up with one that at least one PO really loved. (That dude died of cancer, apparently.)

E: if there's any issue I have with its power delivery it's my wrist is still calibrated for a weestrom, and there's enough torque on tap right away from this motor, that I forget that like the upper 3/4s of throttle travel exists. I'll be like, am I down on power? and then actually twist my wrist an amount, and you can hear me holler "OHHHH THERE IT IS" about two seconds after I've actually gone past

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 4, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

Yeah that's my occasional pessimism in action. Not having a ZX11 in front of me to directly compare I just figured "naked bikes tend to be partsbin specials of sportbikes" and I know the Rex owes a fair amount to the Zephyr and the ZX11, so that's how I got there.

And yeah, mine does have the ZX11 cams, I pulled the cam dimensions for the stockers and the ZX11s when I did my valve shims a couple years ago and checked them with my grandpa's Mitutoyo calipers. It's also got the suggested Dynojet jet kit for ZX cams and aftermarket exhaust, which I confirmed when I cleaned the carbs. I haven't investigated the timing and I left the ktric module plugged in. Despite having been threatening to do the carb sync for like a year and a half and never getting to it, it still runs like the goddamn business.

I've said before that despite the abuse I've heaped on it since, I really lucked into this bike. I was prepared to buy just a halfway decent Rex but I ended up with one that at least one PO really loved. (That dude died of cancer, apparently.)

My one had over 100,000km when it came to me and the engine was still tight as a drum (everything else was hosed but hey) and I STILL regret selling it to this day, the zx10 I replaced it with lasted like six months.

Unplugging the TPS and replacing the crank pickup wheel make a huge difference even on a stock bike, it's cheap to do and will really get the most out of your setup.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

UNDER 18 ONLY!!!!!!!!

:chloe:

as a moderator you should probably not make these jokes :D

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MomJeans420 posted:

I think an E with inverted forks is a better SM anyway-- it'll have the more aggro cams so all it needs is a 3x3 mod and fcr

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Razzled posted:

I think an E with inverted forks is a better SM anyway-- it'll have the more aggro cams so all it needs is a 3x3 mod and fcr

Plus (at least at one point) insurance was cheaper for an E vin

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I decided I don't need two project bikes anyway. I think I'm just itching to ride again but I have to wait until I'm not out of town for work so it looks like I won't be riding until the fall.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I hope this is the right place to waffle about test riding bikes. I was supposed to be trying a DRZ400 and a CRF250 Rally yesterday, but "the battery was flat" on the DRZ so I took a XT660 Ténéré out instead. I suspect there was probably more than that wrong with the DRZ, but who knows. The dealer had a lot of ropey old bikes on stock, you could take you hand off the throttle on the XT and watch it slowly close... It was kind of like a museum of lovely old bikes, I liked it, just ot sure I would buy anything there.

I'm looking for something for green laning and maybe longer journeys with a tent, perhaps bits of the TET. If it could be the one bike to do it all that would be great, otherwise it would be alongside my gen 1 SV650 in the garage.

I started on the XT660. Lots of vibration was the first thing I noticed. Plenty of low down torque. It was nice to just give it a handful of throttle from any revs and it just went. Big and heavy though. But that meant plenty of comfy leg room.

The CRF wasn't quite as quick as I would have liked on the road. Standing next to it, it looked big, but to ride it was light and had surprisingly high pegs. Steering was light as well and doing unplanned U turns in town was easy. It was the first Honda I've ridden and I see where the reputation of everything just working in an unfussed way comes from. Also beeping the horn the first time you indicate during or after riding a Honda.

I was with some friends on an Aprillia Dorsoduro 750 and a V-Strom, and they let me have a play on those as well. The V-strom felt kind of big and enclosed behind a large screen. Crappy brakes and suspension. It felt a lot like my SV650, just big, not as nimble and comfy. That said, it felt like it would be a good do it all option, just a bit enclosed and detached for green laning maybe?

I really expected to like the Dorsoduro, but it just felt a bit weird. Super stiff suspension and it didn't want to turn. It had twin Arrow pipes and was LOUD. Good brakes though and it looked nice.

I ended up back on my SV650. I'm pretty tall and it is too small for me really, my legs end up with a sharp bend at the knee and I'm hunched over. The brakes are a bit soggy even after a bleed and the suspension is soft. But it's nice ot ride despite all that and corners so much better than anything else I rode. It didn't feel significantly slower than the Dorsoduro. I'm still not sure I would want to sell it.

It was a fun day of riding lots of bikes but I still don't know what to buy. I still need to ride a DRZ400. I sat on the one in the shop and it felt small and agricultural, but maybe that's to be expected? It was certainly much lower than the CRF. Looking at seat heights the CRF should have been 885mm and the DRZ 890 mm, so I think the DRZ must have been lowered. I think I was flat footing the DRZ and could only get the ball of one foot down on the CRF (I think, too many bikes).

Sorry for the word vomit, it's to help me think over what I looked at as much as anything. I think I need another bike though, not a different bike. The CRF would do that second bike role better than anything else I've tried so far. It's less boring than the Royal Enfield Himalayan I tried a while ago at least.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the crf is way more of a dirt bike than the drz is, so yeah, it's gonna be taller. also way better off road as you can imagine. you can camp on any of those bikes so just buy the one that matches your use case the best. the 250 rally is a lovely bike, but I wouldn't want to be on the highway with it for any significant amount of time if you're carrying camping gear

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I kinda wish we got the xt660z here in the states, i'd frankenbike one.

The rally is kind of a heavy undersuspended pig for what it is. Its basically the 250l with some fragile bodywork. Some loons on advrider have had good result spooning in the cb500x engine for an increase in 20-30lb. That coupled with some aftermarket suspenders would turn it into a pretty good bike. The cbr300 engine slots right in with zero work.

The only plated crf that's more dirt oriented than the drz is the CRF450L. The 250l and its derivatives is a bit porkier on really really cheap suspension. We're talking the shock has no resivoir, no adjustments outside of preload, and is probably filled with cooking oil its so bad. The SM variant of the drz got some pretty decent mx suspension components for an otherwise ok bike.

Either will do some TET work or multi-thousand-mile journeys. The drz might do it a little better with its better suspension and marginally more power. However he aluminum subframe is welded together by derpy the shitbot and you'll 100% crack it with more than 1/15th of a goon's weight in cargo hanging off it. Its seriously the worst welds I have ever seen a robot fart out. I've seen better using two loving car batteries and jumper cables.
With either bike, pack lightly. The Rally is on the CRF's steel frame, and is known for tearing out footpeg mounts in drops as the frame is pretty thin. Afaik the subframe on those is pretty alright. The suspension isn't really up to hauling everything and the kitchen sink though.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
There's a 1983 CX650 Turbo on Cycletraider.

1983 HONDA CB650 , ODOMETER READING ONE MILE. MOTORCYCLE WAS PURCHASED NEW IN 1983 AND DONATED TO MCPSS TECHNICAL TRADES DIVISION TO USE AS A MECHANICS LEARNING TOOL. ALL ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT, THE TIRES ARE FLAT, THE BRAKES ARE NON-FRUNCTIONAL (FROZE UP, UNIT WILL NOT ROLL EASILY) THERE IS NEITHER A TITLE OR KEY FOR THIS BIKE. BIKE IS IN OVERALL GOOD CONDITION FOR ITS AGE, AND HAS BEEN STORED INDOORS SINCE 1983. SOME COSMETIC DAMAGE, (MIRROR).

I mean a 38 year old basket case with no title or key, and unobtainable parts sounds like it would be right up this thread's alley.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hell yeah that rules

Also

quote:

BRAKES ARE NON-FRUNCTIONAL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Second one of those mechanic school sales I've seen this year, the College of Western Idaho offloaded two of the CX Turbos and two CBXes back in june

https://jalopnik.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-check-out-these-tantalizing-c-1847121009