Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I just started the game and immediately went hunting for a config file for keybinds but couldn't see one. Is autohotkey the only solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Top Gun Reference posted:

Conventional cruise missiles seem a bit underpowered to be honest. You can only send them in one at a time and they're very expensive for the results you get if they do hit. They work ok on garrisons, but those are easily dismantled with lightnings anyway. Aircraft seem better since they can split up the enemy air defense, are more versatile and reusable.

I've found them to be somewhat useful for attacking strike groups safely- you don't usually have enough to really kill the whole thing, but knocking off a couple of ships in the strike group can be worth it.

I find aircraft to be more useful for recon than actual combat, oddly enough. I went into the ship designer to make a radar picket ship that's dirt cheap and more useful in that role though.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Actually managed to beat the game. The keys to victory seem to be cleaning up the Strike Groups ahead of time and being able to spread out fighting groups to most of the launch sites after you hit Khiva.

the most important lesson I learned in this run was to bring a Kormoran. You can't really afford more than one, but it's a fantastic anchor for your mobile group. Decent fuel efficiency and enough capacity to support itself, extremely durable, big guns for killing things and CIWS for shooting down missiles.

main flaw is that the 2 little engines on the bottom get shot off all the time, which isn't the end of the world because it doesn't need them to fly, but it becomes painfully slow without them. Fortunately there's enough unused space on the hull to mount 2 extra rotational thrusters, so that's pretty easy to mitigate.

It wasn't too difficult to take on strike groups with just one of those and a couple of lightnings to soften things up for it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im finding great success in the 2x lightning with a Skylark setup. The biggest hurdle so far has been just loving up the strategy, like when one of my strike groups had a couple extra ships and wasn't getting sudden strikes anymore but poor Pyotr wasn't covering for my faults and asking me if I wanted to form a detachment at the last second. Apparently he doesn't do this if the fleet doesn't have enough fuel to reach the target destination if you split the fast ships off.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Larry Parrish posted:

Im finding great success in the 2x lightning with a Skylark setup. The biggest hurdle so far has been just loving up the strategy, like when one of my strike groups had a couple extra ships and wasn't getting sudden strikes anymore but poor Pyotr wasn't covering for my faults and asking me if I wanted to form a detachment at the last second. Apparently he doesn't do this if the fleet doesn't have enough fuel to reach the target destination if you split the fast ships off.

Yeah, it's a good idea to send extra ships home to the Sevastopol, or to an alternative hiding spot.

cock hero flux posted:

Actually managed to beat the game. The keys to victory seem to be cleaning up the Strike Groups ahead of time and being able to spread out fighting groups to most of the launch sites after you hit Khiva.

Exactly. The event where they reinforce Khiva is ultimately meaningless if you take them out beforehand, and even then it's easier to find them to bait them away if they're all in that one place.

Panzeh posted:

I've found them to be somewhat useful for attacking strike groups safely- you don't usually have enough to really kill the whole thing, but knocking off a couple of ships in the strike group can be worth it.

I find aircraft to be more useful for recon than actual combat, oddly enough. I went into the ship designer to make a radar picket ship that's dirt cheap and more useful in that role though.

Aircraft are great for attacking landed ships with the 250kg bombs, and decent with airborne targets armed with rockets. They're also great for visual recon, as in actually seeing the makeup of enemy fleets. They're also more effective at making some successful initial strikes, which then allows for cruise missiles to actually do their work.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
The artist who made the explosions and smoke clouds needs to get more credit, they are amazing. Yesterday I shot down a light cruiser and when it went down in smoke and flames there was a secondary explosion, it looked incredible.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I can't see poo poo when I'm in the middle with explosions, smoke, tracers, gun shots and blackouts from G-force all hitting at once but it's legit beautiful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ErKeL posted:

I can't see poo poo when I'm in the middle with explosions, smoke, tracers, gun shots and blackouts from G-force all hitting at once but it's legit beautiful.

just like real combat, then!

sounds like it's working as intended

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Agreed that the detail on the explosion and fire effects are beautiful. The sound design is also good and hardy.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Visually the game is absolutely top tier.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

So, I've got a strike force of heavily armored 37mm spammers, a carrier group with an assortment of cruise missile ships I've picked up, and then 3 groups of tiny tankers shuttling fuel out to the big boys.

It's working, but I'm not seeing how I'll make the jump to fighting an enemy strike force tbh

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Spam 100/130mm instead.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

So, I've got a strike force of heavily armored 37mm spammers, a carrier group with an assortment of cruise missile ships I've picked up, and then 3 groups of tiny tankers shuttling fuel out to the big boys.

It's working, but I'm not seeing how I'll make the jump to fighting an enemy strike force tbh

Get armor piercing rounds. A few large caliber ones will cripple any ship in this game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

Your strike forces will lure the strike groups in, carrier aircraft will weaken the strike group, cruise missiles will wipe them out, Sevastopol itself will clean them up.

Recommend you upgun from 37mm though. The light munitions can be fantastic, but it burns ammo too much for alternate types to be worthwhile.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Put 4 130s on a heavy corvette with way too many engines and it absolutely shreds while hitting 700+ kph. This game owns

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Your strike forces will lure the strike groups in, carrier aircraft will weaken the strike group, cruise missiles will wipe them out, Sevastopol itself will clean them up.

Recommend you upgun from 37mm though. The light munitions can be fantastic, but it burns ammo too much for alternate types to be worthwhile.

I’ve only ever seen incendiary rounds for 37mm, are there others?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I’ve only ever seen incendiary rounds for 37mm, are there others?

I don’t think so, but even 100mm can chew through money if you’re using proximity fuze for example.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've taken out strike group Kastor & Borey class ships with a single lucky 180mm AP on more than one occasion. Especially some of the ships with holes in their armor, if you nail the gap with AP, and it goes through and causes an ammo explosion, you just killed them. I'm sure 100mm AP can do this too, i've just never seen it one shot yet.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

100mm never goes deep enough, even with AP. 180mm is just insane.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

If all else fails and things are looking dire. A Skylark can be a very large caliber AP Shell. :black101:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried running this on integrated graphics?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does this seem like a reasonable starting force? I figure the two Lightnings and Skylark can go make merry with garrisons while the rest hang out on the ground in the desert, ready for incoming SGs, while the Tanker shuttles fuel? but maybe I'm going too hard??

(e) Either in-game or in the editor, is there a way to more easily see what weapons are on a given ship?? I cannot visually scan these things for the life of me

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 4, 2021

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Bring another Lightning/Skylark squad and you can cover more it the map.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've done that - thanks - and my first city has a shitload of missiles for me to buy. How does getting them to my Yar Mk2 work, can I buy them with one Lightning and send them back to the fleet, or do I need to send the Yar Mk2 to the city?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I haven’t figured out the precise rules but it seems like the parts inventory sticks with whatever the highest tonnage ship in a fleet is when you split and combine them. But they do have to merge fleets at some point for the transfer to occur, it’s not like ammo that teleports

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been trying to bump everything up to 130mm or 180mm by mid-game. 100mm is a great all-rounder weapon and the larger mag size helps early on but yeah once you have AP/Proxy Fuze ammo 130mm/180mm start one-shotting even bigger ships at the right angle and it rules

e: A 130mm and a 180mm is a nice combo because you can bring both ap and proxy fuze :eng101: Even against heavily armored targets I find proxy fuze helpful because it can shoot down missiles and even larger-caliber bullets

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven’t figured out the precise rules but it seems like the parts inventory sticks with whatever the highest tonnage ship in a fleet is when you split and combine them. But they do have to merge fleets at some point for the transfer to occur, it’s not like ammo that teleports

thanks, I think I'll just send the Yar and Longbow to the city to save me some thinking :v:

(e) Hot diggity, this run's just raining goodies on me right at the start :D blindly run into a barely defended transport ship barely a stop from Ur

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are the ELINT range indicators supposed to mean 1200-1500km at one light, 900-1200km at two, etc. down to 0-300km at 5 lights/Danger Close?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I'm definitely missing something, are there any good video tutorials for the map/radar stuff? I'm trying to figure out how to not run out of money so quickly just buying fuel at every stop. I know the advice was to split up my fleet but when I leave my slower ships behind it just turns dangerous there and I have to move them anyway? I don't see how that saves me on fuel.

Also, I have no idea what to do once I get an elint warning it always ends up with missiles coming after me and I can't shake them.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Womyn Capote posted:

I'm definitely missing something, are there any good video tutorials for the map/radar stuff? I'm trying to figure out how to not run out of money so quickly just buying fuel at every stop. I know the advice was to split up my fleet but when I leave my slower ships behind it just turns dangerous there and I have to move them anyway? I don't see how that saves me on fuel.

Also, I have no idea what to do once I get an elint warning it always ends up with missiles coming after me and I can't shake them.

You leave your big fat heavy ships in the desert, not in a town.

Actually, do hidden cities become dangerous or can you stay there as long as you want?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Long as you want. Hidden cities own but man they’re hard to find. I’ve still only found one

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Womyn Capote posted:

Are you keeping your radar off most of the time? ELINT is a radar detector, which tells you where enemies with radar are...but the enemies have ELINT too, and if they're close enough that you're getting ELINT warnings, they're also close enough for their own ELINTs to pick up your radars. If your radar is running, they'll be able to easily track you using ELINT.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Womyn Capote posted:

Leave the slow ships in the middle of nowhere. Turn your radar off unless you are hunting. Enemies have ELINT too. They also have specific Anti-Radiation Missiles (ARMs), which home in on Radar. ELINT just says there's a radar on near you, which indicates a Strike, Missile Carrier or Aircraft Carrier Group. The Sevastopol is too slow to shake incoming fleets alone - use decoys or go head on.

Hidden Cities do NOT turn Dangerous. It's perfectly safe to conduct all repairs and refuelling there, though repairs will be partial due to missing parts. You can always just go buy them and bring them back.

If you click the question mark next to the date, you can find all of my posts in this thread, there's a lot of explanation for this stuff there. Others handle stuff like fleet composition, combat and ship building much better. Would be nice if we could stick most of the advice folks have given in the OP.

Ciaphas posted:

Are the ELINT range indicators supposed to mean 1200-1500km at one light, 900-1200km at two, etc. down to 0-300km at 5 lights/Danger Close?

No clue on the exact ranges, but I think you're correct. I think it's important to add that I've had the Sevastopol reporting ELINT DANGER and still not been detected while parked in a Hidden City.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Can enemies fleets catch your radio messages like you can theirs? Assuming you have a strike group out

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Long as you want. Hidden cities own but man they’re hard to find. I’ve still only found one

do they come up on ground radar?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Marzzle posted:

do they come up on ground radar?

Yes, but that makes you stand out to nearby strike groups. supposedly you can find them by zooming in as much as possible and following roads in the satellite view, but I've never been able to find one like that and the only one i found was with ground radar.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Can enemies fleets catch your radio messages like you can theirs? Assuming you have a strike group out

I don't believe so. By the events, it's assumed that you exist aboard every ship in your fleet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

Little radar, big radar, and ECM all have different detection ranges. As well as the little vs big RWR unit having different ranges. ECM will show up as dangerous from halfway across the map (which is the point, think of it like a air raid siren to your sensor's metaphorical eardrums). I haven't taken the time to quantify the difference though, but its the same for the enemies as it is for you. I made a craft I call the "Shout" with a small radar, small RWR, and two ECM pods. Its got a 5000km range and it can just dart around everywhere with its ECM on as a giant beacon to attract attention.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Or you can make your radar/sensor ships tiny little probe droids with almost no radar profile of their own that go insanely fast, use virtually no fuel, and can fly over 2000km on a single tank of 40t of fuel.

I too made a tiny scout, but with the cheaper 1x1 RWR rather than the 2x2, because you don't need the extra detection range when your flight range & speed are so exceptional. The A100 missile is the only thing that can catch you and most of the time you can dodge it on the map if not in the tactical screen. Its a perfect scout.

The Droid:

They're so fast that you can just fly into visual range of a city and see whats landed there. And so cheap that you can start with four of them and have no surprises for the rest of the game. I also found it worth it to use these and take the RWR and thermal off the skylark (to return it to just a tanker) because thats all i've been using them for with my lightning strike groups, so why waste the money?

Red flags and yellow/red dangerous tags aren't a bad thing if you know where the strike groups/carrier groups/missile groups are. If you fly a skylark or a Droid south to a city you've marked Dangerous and just park it there a strike group or two should immediately pull off and go investigate (as long as they don't have a bead on your actual forces nearby). Easy to draw them south along one side while you advance up the other, and ambush them on their way back north once you've separated them.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Be warned that without mobility thrusters you’re not going to be able to actually dodge things on the battle screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Go up and watch the missile fly by under you. Really you should just never end up in combat with it at all.