Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i remember asking for yoda stories and instead getting yoda's challenge lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
in fact let me double down

Remaster Yoda Stories, and give it prequel and sequel expansion content while we're at it, why not. poo poo throw in some Shadows of the Empire too. Randomize it all together and have it make zero sense. Gimme.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Got a real headscratcher from a friend.

- very old game, DOS or Amiga
- sidescrolling platformer
- psychedelic visuals and audio design, bordering on acid trip
- player character with 'abnormal proportions' who may or may not be a clown, specifically he remembers them having a clownlike face and a detachable head
- he's pretty sure footage of it does exist on YouTube somewhere, he just can't remember the name

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Dynamite Headdy?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Dynamite Headdy?

That was my first thought too, but he's intimately familiar with that so that's certainly not it. Can't really think of many other "detachable head" platformers though.

edit: "The way the character animates is very similar, where when they jump their head comes off a bit"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Long shot but Decapattack?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Nah, the crazy visuals are apparently a major forefront of the game in a "you'll know it when you see it" kind of way. Something vaguely like this.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Longer shot: Head Over Heels?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornJoqJD1Ks

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

It's strictly sidescrolling, not isometric.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

MonkeyforaHead posted:

- player character with 'abnormal proportions' who may or may not be a clown, specifically he remembers them having a clownlike face and a detachable head
- he's pretty sure footage of it does exist on YouTube somewhere, he just can't remember the name
Also a long shot since not all of the details match up, but Zool, perhaps?

To help narrow it down a bit further, about when does he remember this game from?

boof
Jun 3, 2001

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The detachable head thing doesn't quite line up, but maybe Weird Dreams?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Platform is different (SNES), but detachable parts were a thing in Plok! for the SNES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWdJanRQwO8

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

No detachable head but "Weird rear end game with visuals that get a bit weird on the Amiga" could it be Boppin'?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My first thoughts were either Weird Dreams or Harlequin for Amiga

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Detachable head sounds like it could be a misremembering of James Pond's body stretching mechanic

Not sure it exactly counts as "psychedelic" as much as "garish", though.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Nah, the crazy visuals are apparently a major forefront of the game in a "you'll know it when you see it" kind of way. Something vaguely like this.

jfc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Love the Catchphrase sound effect at the start of a level

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
My first thought was also Decap Attack, but here's some wild rear end guesses:

Charly the Clown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjlAgRGoCVE

Rolling Ronny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_lhTQW6SJg

Nicky Boom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpRmAg0ttk

Hammerhead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5VUPKIhjYs

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
There are so many weird old platformers, god.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

This game is not the one you are looking for, but I thought it deserved a mention while we are emptying this clown car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Laf5sjIbqUo

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

This should be an easy one, I'm just blanking on the title. Early 90s, DOS, platformer with a squirrel, and it's total poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skunny

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

This was it, Skunny: Back to the Forest, and I had it on my hard drive already from when Copysoft accidentally made all of the full versions of their games viewable and downloadable. Thanks.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have one, should be easy:

- First person horror
- Fairly recent, like within the last five years or so
- Very grimey and wet looking, very brown
- The levels are kind of abstract caves/digestive systems but littered with real-world objects like filing cabinets and papers
- The enemies are mostly (all?) hidden as those objects. A filing cabinet will suddenly grow legs and attack like the Thing
- You're not really supposed to fight the enemies since they're mostly way tougher than you
- The weapons are very weird, like a talking stapler (not exactly that but along those lines)
- I remember the object of every level being to collect a number of notes to move through a door to the next area
- I think there is money in the game? Like gold coins you can buy stuff with?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Agony?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Definitely not, I remember it didn't take itself nearly as seriously as that. Also I don't remember any boobs or weiners in it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Manager Hoyden posted:

I have one, should be easy:

- First person horror
- Fairly recent, like within the last five years or so
- Very grimey and wet looking, very brown
- The levels are kind of abstract caves/digestive systems but littered with real-world objects like filing cabinets and papers
- The enemies are mostly (all?) hidden as those objects. A filing cabinet will suddenly grow legs and attack like the Thing
- You're not really supposed to fight the enemies since they're mostly way tougher than you
- The weapons are very weird, like a talking stapler (not exactly that but along those lines)
- I remember the object of every level being to collect a number of notes to move through a door to the next area
- I think there is money in the game? Like gold coins you can buy stuff with?

I think this is Golden Light

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That is absolutely it! Thanks!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

drat, I was way off.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying to remember two racing games from the very early 90s, must've been 91 or 92 at the latest.

1) Very arcadey racing game, quite a lot like Outrun but there was stuff on the road like roadworks, oil slicks and jumps. It was the same kind of 2d driving game as Outrun but iirc you could make 90 degree turns at some intersections which could sometimes be shortcuts. Pretty certain you could drive as a police car because I remember the annoying siren sound pissing my parents off.

2) More of a simulation racer - 3d, driver's-eye view. Flat, textureless polygons for everything - a bit like Stunts/4D Driving but with more colours and more polygons. Not sure if there were any opponents, might have just been time trials. The controls were really complicated - there were multiple buttons for turning depending on how far you wanted to turn the steering wheel. All the cars were high-end luxury sports cars like Ferarri, Porsche, Lamborghini and Lotus. I remember being absolutely blown away by this game.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay, this is a game I have been thinking about on and off for decades. I rented it from a video store in the NES/Super Nintendo era. Pretty sure it's Super Nintendo because it seemed to to look too complicated for an NES game.

• Driving game, straight top down.
  • Terrain could scroll in both directions, kind of open world
  • Terrain was absurdly alien/drug trippy organic and colorful
  • You could sometimes find ramps to jump over terrain to get new places.
  • Getting lost was easy, and I don't recall there being any map
  • Bore no attachment to the real world either in terrain or vehicles
  • I Think the game name was a longish completely made up word
  • Maybe delivered packages from A to B?
  • Confusing as all gently caress, which was pretty abnormal for me
  • I don't remember any real text or dialogue in the game
  • Developer might have been French or other non English speaking?

I had no idea what I was doing when playing this game. No idea at all. I remember finding a print review of the game at the time and the reviewer also describing it as "indecipherable" and similar.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 6, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

BitBasher posted:

Okay, this is a game I have been thinking about on and off for decades. I rented it from a video store in the NES/Super Nintendo era. Pretty sure it's Super Nintendo because it seemed to to look too complicated for an NES game.

• Driving game, straight top down.
  • Terrain could scroll in both directions, kind of open world
  • Terrain was absurdly alien/drug trippy organic and colorful
  • You could sometimes find ramps to jump over terrain to get new places.
  • Getting lost was easy, and I don't recall there being any map
  • Bore no attachment to the real world either in terrain or vehicles
  • I Think the game name was a longish completely made up word
  • Maybe delivered packages from A to B?
  • Confusing as all gently caress, which was pretty abnormal for me
  • I don't remember any real text or dialogue in the game
  • Developer might have been French or other non English speaking?

I had no idea what I was doing when playing this game. No idea at all. I remember finding a print review of the game at the time and the reviewer also describing it as "indecipherable" and similar.
If only Vangers had received a 16-bit console port.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

The Joe Man posted:

If only Vangers had received a 16-bit console port.

That was totally it. There aren't many things like it. I didn't think it was on PC, but this definitely hits the nail on the head, thanks!

EDIT: So, so many of my points were wrong!

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Quote-Unquote posted:

1) Very arcadey racing game, quite a lot like Outrun but there was stuff on the road like roadworks, oil slicks and jumps. It was the same kind of 2d driving game as Outrun but iirc you could make 90 degree turns at some intersections which could sometimes be shortcuts. Pretty certain you could drive as a police car because I remember the annoying siren sound pissing my parents off.

cisco heat?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Okay what the gently caress?

Dip Viscous posted:

Copysoft accidentally made all of the full versions of their games viewable and downloadable
Name very much on point.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 6, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing a game on...maybe Windows 95. It was sort of around the time I played Castle of the Winds. It was a lot like Advance Wars. You had a top down voew of a grid based map and had tanks and stuff.

Anyone know wtf this was

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

eonwe posted:

I remember playing a game on...maybe Windows 95. It was sort of around the time I played Castle of the Winds. It was a lot like Advance Wars. You had a top down voew of a grid based map and had tanks and stuff.

Anyone know wtf this was

Something of the Battle Isle series?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
unfortunately not. those look like hex grid games, whereas this was a square grid.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

eonwe posted:

unfortunately not. those look like hex grid games, whereas this was a square grid.

I actually think I know what game this is. It was called something like Combat Tactics or something. I can picture the cover art, which if I recall was some form of rocket artillery firing.

[EDIT] Went looking through MobyGames but couldn't find it. I know it came on a CD but the graphics weren't very advanced. I found the friggin Capture the Flag game I vaugley remember either coming packed in on the disc or around the same time. Hope the clues might help you locate what you're thinking of though.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

eonwe posted:

Anyone know wtf this was

Zaodai posted:

I actually think I know what game this is. It was called something like Combat Tactics or something. I can picture the cover art, which if I recall was some form of rocket artillery firing.

Could this be Fireteam 2200?