Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Saoshyant posted:

I have nothing against taking Jar Jar Binks to breakfast, but leaving the diner table like that is just filthy, inexcusable behavior.

And for that one sin... A NEW MUTANT SHALL DIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

And for that one sin... A NEW MUTANT SHALL DIE!

They got killed and maimed a lot, but I don't remember it being on covers when I was reading New Mutants, unlike when DC would literally put "A Titan Will Die" on covers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

They got killed and maimed a lot, but I don't remember it being on covers when I was reading New Mutants, unlike when DC would literally put "A Titan Will Die" on covers.

I also don’t remember a titans corpse getting played with like a meat suit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

I also don’t remember a titans corpse getting played with like a meat suit

That's had to have happened more than once to the titans by now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

This is Bird Brain erasure.

I love in that run Magik is just such a chaos-loving imp. I'm sure it's like to medicate from having her soul slowly taken over by Limbo or whatever, but she is absolutely the 'yes, let's do it because it will be funny' one of the group. It only feels like she's starting to come back to that now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Sam being the faintly responsible one who pays for the damages is just perfect

Sam Guthrie is the very best

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sam Guthrie is the very best

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edge & Christian posted:

This is Bird Brain erasure.

I know it's not the best or whatever but this art makes me happy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rick posted:

I know it's not the best or whatever but this art makes me happy.

That Blevins art is objectively Good. He and Silvestri were putting out really fun work on their respective books, drawing a lot of good gags and reaction shots. One of the best things about Inferno is how funny it is at times. NYC turning into a Demon-infested hellscape is played for laughs so much and so many character designs (especially suddenly animated objects like mailboxes) are great.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah Blevins breathed a ton of life into New Mutants-- it's certainly not the same book that Claremont was writing, but Simonson and Blevins had incredible creative chemistry together.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

That Blevins art is objectively Good. He and Silvestri were putting out really fun work on their respective books, drawing a lot of good gags and reaction shots. One of the best things about Inferno is how funny it is at times. NYC turning into a Demon-infested hellscape is played for laughs so much and so many character designs (especially suddenly animated objects like mailboxes) are great.

Everything in New York turning baroque and cartoonishly baroque is the kind of art I believe Blevins was born for. I love his S'ym.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Blevins' work is pretty good; it works more than I think it would for such a dire scenario as a demon-infested New York.

Still, what brings the art down for me are the costumes. Those individual costumes the New Mutants got were just awful.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I liked dani and illyana's outfits but the rest were off. Oh and warlock was cool too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The art all across Inferno probably benefited from the fact that this was still an era in which everybody was living and working in New York. You've got seven or eight different artists all doing their own cheeky, affectionate sendups of a city they're infinitely familiar with. I doubt it would work half as well doing the same sort of thing today.

Are there any Marvel comics coming out that still have a solid basis in New York, actually? The two I suspect might are Spider-Man and FF, and I'm not reading either of those.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, no, no you don't.

(unless you are like, "dang, that sort of weird incest is just what I'm into", then knock yourself out)

Instead, I recommend you check out X-Men The End where Chris Claremont writes Maddie as he intended before editorial got in the way and allows her to achieve pathos -- proper redemption.

That and also check out this long talk from Women Write About Comics on Maddie.

Look, I'm several days behind, and this is quick and dirty, but I felt the need to make this:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Rochallor posted:

The art all across Inferno probably benefited from the fact that this was still an era in which everybody was living and working in New York. You've got seven or eight different artists all doing their own cheeky, affectionate sendups of a city they're infinitely familiar with. I doubt it would work half as well doing the same sort of thing today.

Are there any Marvel comics coming out that still have a solid basis in New York, actually? The two I suspect might are Spider-Man and FF, and I'm not reading either of those.

I would assume daredevil and maybe moon knight? But I don't read either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Black Cat is for sure.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Rochallor posted:

The whole thing where people are going about their day while demonic mailboxes are biting off peoples hands and BLACK WIDOW AND KAREN PAGE TAKING KIDS ONTO AN OBVIOUSLY EVIL SUBWAY TRAIN is played just as "New York, amirite?!!" It's kinda great but yeah... it feels a lot like NY residents making inside jokes about the city they live in.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

WaffleZombie posted:

Look, I'm several days behind, and this is quick and dirty, but I felt the need to make this:

That page reminds me that I miss Steve Skroce and Roger Cruz.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Still doing some comics work despite being tight with the Wachowskis! His last big thing was this:

Which... obviously a little different style! He did Matrix storyboard work with Geoff Darrow and that obviously had an influence.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rochallor posted:

I'm not really sure if any of the main X-Book artists were living in NYC at the time of the crossover? Even in the 1960s "Bullpen" era that wasn't strictly true, and by the late 1980s people were living all over the place. Marc Silvestri I'm reasonably sure has been in southern California his whole professional life, Brett Blevins is from Arizona, Alan Davis lives in England, Todd McFarlane was either still in the Pacific Northwest or moving to Arizona when he did his tie-ins.

You had folks like JRJR and Keith Pollard drawing tie-ins while living in New York City, and the Simonsons were still living in NYC or at least close enough upstate to let Walt teach at SVA, and at any rate they'd live in NYC for years prior. Same with Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont, and most of the writers (and all of the editors) so you're not wrong there's a lot of personal touches to NYC in the books, but I don't know if those would be impossible today either.

As of right now, people are correct that Spider-Man (both Peter Parker and Miles Morales) are based out of NYC, as is Daredevil, Moon Knight, Fantastic Four, Black Cat, and probably other books I'm forgetting. Venom was based out of NYC in his last run. Ms. Marvel lives in Jersey City still, and they just established the X-Men built a new base off Central Park West. Children of the Atom was based out of Brooklyn, Deadpool until recently was living on Staten Island. Books like the current Eternals run, Captain America, Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman, Savage Avengers, and Iron Man are globetrotting adventures but all of them have a focus on New York City or it's the characters' home. Jane Foster, Doctor Strange, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and probably a dozen other relatively prominent heroes who don't have books currently are still NYC residents.

This is referring specifically to where the books take place, few if any of the writers/artists are living here, to my knowledge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

This is referring specifically to where the books take place, few if any of the writers/artists are living here, to my knowledge.

It's not like anyone could afford to live in NYC on what Marvel pays.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It's not like anyone could afford to live in NYC on what Marvel pays.
I mean, all of their editors and office workers do, as do quite a few creators. There are a lot of comics creators living in New York City and believe it or not not everyone who lives in New York City is fabulously wealthy. I was more saying that the idea that everyone who works in comics lives near the offices and it's a swingin' Bullpen or whatever was barely true when Stan Lee wrote about it in the 1960s, and definitely hasn't been the case in the past forty years or so. Ironically if anything it was true in the mid 1970s when a lot of the younger people making superhero comics were the first generation of creators who came of age during the Merry Marvel Marching Society/Bullpen Bulletins era and deeply believed in that whole thing.

Also if I'm being honest, lots of artists who live on other continents have written "better" New York scenes than a number of New York City residents I can think of. Though to be fair I don't think Dan Slott (NYC lifer) ever had the Yancy Street Gang rap battle (Mark Waid, hasn't lived here in thirty years)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 4, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nuh uh all 8.25 million people who live in new york city are billionaires

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not really sure if any of the main X-Book artists were living in NYC at the time of the crossover? Even in the 1960s "Bullpen" era that wasn't strictly true, and by the late 1980s people were living all over the place.

Huh, that's interesting. All the bullpen stuff was pretty effective marketing as I bought it hook, line, and sinker. I would have figured that most creatives would have to be in NYC until the mid-90s or so, if for no other reason than mailing scripts and art back and forth would make deadlines even tighter.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rochallor posted:

Huh, that's interesting. All the bullpen stuff was pretty effective marketing as I bought it hook, line, and sinker. I would have figured that most creatives would have to be in NYC until the mid-90s or so, if for no other reason than mailing scripts and art back and forth would make deadlines even tighter.
I think by the late 1960s a lot of writers/artists were living in the suburbs (but still the general NYC metro area) and could either come in and deliver pages a few times a month, or have things couriered in. Most of the Marvel bullpen lived in Long Island in the 1960s, and commuted into the city with varying levels of frequency. Kirby moved to southern California in 1969 but obviously still got a ton of work published by Marvel/DC for years afterwards.

If there wasn't a local production chain (Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Scott Williams, Whilce Portacio, Art Thibert, etc. for instance all ended up in California and renting a shared studio space so they could pencil/ink the books in one go, there were/are lots of other similar studis) then a lot of the inkers, letterers, etc. were local to NYC so that they could finish the books in a timely manner. It's something that comes up in interviews (contemporary and retrospective) a lot, and I wish I knew more about the nuts and bolts of it, it's why "Romita's Raiders" existed and how weird things like "paste over all of Jack Kirby's Superman faces because they don't look Supermanny enough and he's on the other side of the country" happened.

Caros
May 14, 2008

WaffleZombie posted:

I snort laughed at this and woke up my wife. Hope you are happy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yo did Hellions just goatse us?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Hellions was great this week.

Also, why didn't they call the Sinister-led series "Marauders" and call the one that dealt with the Hellfire Trading Company "Hellions"?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

because Marauders is a better name for a group of pirates and Hellions is a better name for a group of amoral fuckups

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The selling point of the Marauders book as "pirate X-Men" has never been fully realized and it's another small tick against the Hickman era.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They’re a trading company, not pirates.

It’s totally different. Totally.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Caros posted:

I snort laughed at this and woke up my wife. Hope you are happy.

I am! Thanks!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I need a Kwannon fist shaking ESSEEEXXXXX smiley after today. God Alex is so hilariously pathetic.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Last issue of Hellions was kind of "eh" with those random "badass" soldier antagonists being introduced and then the random mooks from Tarn showing up as well, but this one today? Glorious. High stakes, new revelations, goatse, WELCOME TO THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kingtheninja posted:

Thanks, goons, for making me know exactly what panel this is in reference to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is not the first time a goatse-adjacent panel has appeared in a Zeb Wells book. So I think he knows the deal. This one was a bit more blatant.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I'm reading this week's X-Men, and it's a fun bit of superhero nonsense, but Polaris needs to ditch the sunglasses (and arguably get a different type of costume, but mostly the sunglasses) because they make her indistinguishable from Brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Hellions is a perfect anarchistic, comic-book-logic-rigmarole creation and the spiritual successor to Nextwave.

And it's in continuity.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 5, 2021