Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I love my Gibson. I would've paid more for a head stock that I didn't always freak out about every time I have it out.

Gibson hates people with anxiety and OCD. Which makes sense, given their usual market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You're supposed to keep it in the case and only bring it out when your buddies are over to brag about how much you spent on it.

When he asks to try it out freak out about the miniscule amount of playing wear devaluing your "investment"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I know, I'm a bad Gibson owner :( I keep trying to get people to play it and they don't want to when they find out the price :( It's a guitar, just play it, let me worry about repairs imo. I'm giving you a pass if you ding it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

duodenum posted:

One of the most hilarious things is Gibsons with a headstock repair that sellers insist should only suffer about a $100 discount.
Well it the neck only becomes stronger if it’s repaired properly. :v:

All that said gently caress me I really want one of those Tribute LPs. :negative:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Siivola posted:

All that said gently caress me I really want one of those Tribute LPs. :negative:

I had one of those! It was a 2018 model with no weight relief. The ones made after 2018 all have weight relief. I eventually sold it because I ended up not vibing with the way it resonated in my hands after the strings got old but mine was a good one other that that personal preference thing. If you're really looking to get one, like all Gibsons, they're kind of all over the place quality-wise. Some are really good and some are very much not. You'll definitely want to play one before you commit to it.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
Still waiting on new cables and power supply to arrive -- along with another pedal -- but it's babby's first pedal day -- a Janglebox to go between my Ric and my Vox AC:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I've never heard of that pedal before but it looks vintage as gently caress and the name is amazing. What's it like? Nice score especially with an AC because Vox make the best amps.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Siivola posted:

I had heard this, but managed to re-break my 67 reissue V.

As far as value goes, it seems to depend on model. I have a "The V", which is a limited run maple capped thing. I've seen them for sale in shops that have offered me way less for my repaired headstock guitar than 25% of what they want for an unbroken one. It's a cool guitar but they are pretty overpriced. I got mine real cheap in Milwaukee.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I've never heard of that pedal before but it looks vintage as gently caress and the name is amazing. What's it like? Nice score especially with an AC because Vox make the best amps.

Basically, it's a compressor endorsed by Roger McGuinn that took the electronics of his signature Ric as a starting point with some other stuff added in that supposedly brings out the best in that Ric+Vox combo -- I'll play around with it more tomorrow, but so far, so good.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Siivola posted:

THERE IS ONE IN THE GIBSON DEMO SHOP ON REVERB FOR 899 WITH ALL ITS FLAWS ALREADY DOCUMENTED

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I would have to pay literally $300 in taxes.

Edit: Lmao they don't even ship overseas to begin with. :negative:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 28, 2021

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if you want a good period correct LP I really like the old Aria Pro II stuff. I have a les paul custom in tobacco burst from them that's period spec aside from stock Super Distortion. Gotta refret it tho. Hate those tiny frets

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Some great 80/90s Aria Pro IIs that are MIJ local to me for AU$600-900. They're rad.

There's no point to this, just rubbing it in.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I know, I'm a bad Gibson owner :( I keep trying to get people to play it and they don't want to when they find out the price :( It's a guitar, just play it, let me worry about repairs imo. I'm giving you a pass if you ding it.

hey, "it's just a guitar" buddy.

I have a couple of Gibsons (2009 and 2016, nothing crazy vintage expensive) and after a professional setup I've had no issues and I love them. I've stuck a Les Trem 2 on the one which got me angry noises from the purists, but they're my go to guitars over my Tele and my Schecter. But any time I offer to let someone play either of them they panic like I'm handing over a baby with multiple sclerosis. Dude... I literally hang them off the wall by the headstock like every other guitar I own

I was actually relieved when I finally dinged the 2016 because it finally felt like "mine" and the fear was gone.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Right? I figure when I inevitably break the headstock I'll just get it repaired and feel better haha.

Play my guitar I spent to much money for it to be wasted on me alone!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

Right? I figure when I inevitably break the headstock I'll just get it repaired and feel better haha.

Play my guitar I spent to much money for it to be wasted on me alone!
Life's for living.

My journey of buying cheap/broken instruments has brought me to a new plateau:

Casio WK-1630. I had hardly ever seen a Casio with a pitch bend wheel before! Too late to try it this evening but I'm kind of excited. Needs a little duct tape on one end but otherwise it looks great!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My 64Audio IEMs finally got here! Sound is absolutely incredible... Now I'm curious as to how the even nicer models sound. The color-match to my bass is pretty decent too!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The trick here is to buy your guitars used so they're pre dinged and you don't gotta worry about it at all!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

The trick here is to buy your guitars used so they're pre dinged and you don't gotta worry about it at all!

This is honestly the best idea and what I usually do. Every other guitar was bought used and had at least one ding. My Mustang in the dingiest and if I bonk something my brain goes "hehe" instead of freaking out.

But the Gibbo was bought used, it just happened to be also mint perfect which is just awful. I am not precious with it. I encourage everyone else to not be too. I said that to some old blues dad and he freaked out haha.

It's a nitro finish tho? Everywhere talks about the great wear on nitro and natural relicing and all that poo poo, so who cares if it gets dinged? loving funny people trumpeting wear and relicing but baby the guitars so they'll never get that effect.

brushwad
Dec 25, 2009
More pedals: Old Blood Noise Endeavors Excess -- distortion with either chorus or delay controlled with an expression pedal and series/parallel switching for lots of '80s-sounding stuff.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

syntaxfunction posted:

This is honestly the best idea and what I usually do. Every other guitar was bought used and had at least one ding. My Mustang in the dingiest and if I bonk something my brain goes "hehe" instead of freaking out.

But the Gibbo was bought used, it just happened to be also mint perfect which is just awful. I am not precious with it. I encourage everyone else to not be too. I said that to some old blues dad and he freaked out haha.

It's a nitro finish tho? Everywhere talks about the great wear on nitro and natural relicing and all that poo poo, so who cares if it gets dinged? loving funny people trumpeting wear and relicing but baby the guitars so they'll never get that effect.

Ohhh I'm suddenly reminded of a post that I'll never find in the stupid music poo poo thread. It was a screen cap from some other forum where a guy had a new shredmaster guitar, a schecter or jackson or something like that, that he always babied and played gently and was terrified of dings and damaging it. He wrote how he let some one try it out and was all horrified that they went to town shredding on it. They didn't damage the guitar at all just played it slightly aggressively like those styles of guitar are designed for. It was pretty funny and I've no chance in hell of finding it quickly.

And the only thing with nitro finish guitars is I believe that's the finish that reacts badly to the foam padding on most guitar stands, so you gotta put cloth or old socks over the contact points on the stand to protect it. Or be absolutely sure your stand doesn't use neoprene(?) foam for padding. The "burn" from the chemical reaction is about the only guitar damage that I don't really like. I could live with it if I had to but would rather not type of thing.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New lovely Guitar Day!

Palco Products "Douglas" Parlor guitar, made in the US of A. There are about thirty different Palco's, but this one was apparently only around for a year or so in the mid 60s. They made some seriously cheap guitars at a point when the even cheaper Japanese ones were coming into the US. No surprise they didn't last long.

This one is in amazingly good shape, and somehow plays really damned nice. Too bad it sounds like a cheap guitar made from the cheapest wood they could find.

Oh yeah, there are ZERO braces on the back, and only two on the top. There is one under the end of the fingerboard and one about where the floating bridge sits. How it survived over 50+ years and is still in this kind of shape baffles me.

Also, ain't worth a dime to anybody because no one has ever heard of them!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

New lovely Guitar Day!

Palco Products "Douglas" Parlor guitar, made in the US of A. There are about thirty different Palco's, but this one was apparently only around for a year or so in the mid 60s. They made some seriously cheap guitars at a point when the even cheaper Japanese ones were coming into the US. No surprise they didn't last long.

This one is in amazingly good shape, and somehow plays really damned nice. Too bad it sounds like a cheap guitar made from the cheapest wood they could find.

Oh yeah, there are ZERO braces on the back, and only two on the top. There is one under the end of the fingerboard and one about where the floating bridge sits. How it survived over 50+ years and is still in this kind of shape baffles me.

Also, ain't worth a dime to anybody because no one has ever heard of them!

No, but those cheapies with that bridge, like the Stellas, are really nice if you use them as a slide guitar. I used to have a Stella that I put a Jaxx pickup in, it made me want to start talking like John Lee Hooker.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 31, 2021

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Yup. My 2009 Gibson LP was a Facebook market purchase and had a few minor dings. It made the price better but also removed the fear to actually get out and play it.

Turbinosamente posted:

And the only thing with nitro finish guitars is I believe that's the finish that reacts badly to the foam padding on most guitar stands, so you gotta put cloth or old socks over the contact points on the stand to protect it. Or be absolutely sure your stand doesn't use neoprene(?) foam for padding. The "burn" from the chemical reaction is about the only guitar damage that I don't really like. I could live with it if I had to but would rather not type of thing.

Yeah, my 2016 is a nitro finish and I'm in a temporary music room setup right now so my hooks are cheapo Chinese foam things that leave a horrible scummy layer on there. I just scrape it off, but eventually I'll get some proper hooks when the room is refurbed.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Had to do a lot of overtime at work the last couple weeks so I got myself a little something something:

Gretsch G5715 in a lovely black sparkle (it's directly under my ceiling light which is being a bit unflattering but in real life it looks uncannily like a 50s kitchen counter.)
I'm going to make space noises through a tape echo and God willing maybe I'll actually learn to play it at some point.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Dog_Meat posted:

Yup. My 2009 Gibson LP was a Facebook market purchase and had a few minor dings. It made the price better but also removed the fear to actually get out and play it.

Yeah, my 2016 is a nitro finish and I'm in a temporary music room setup right now so my hooks are cheapo Chinese foam things that leave a horrible scummy layer on there. I just scrape it off, but eventually I'll get some proper hooks when the room is refurbed.

That layer is the foam breaking down the nitro, pretty soon you won't have much left to scrape off. Put a t-shirt or something between the hooks and the guitar.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BDA posted:

Had to do a lot of overtime at work the last couple weeks so I got myself a little something something:

Gretsch G5715 in a lovely black sparkle (it's directly under my ceiling light which is being a bit unflattering but in real life it looks uncannily like a 50s kitchen counter.)
I'm going to make space noises through a tape echo and God willing maybe I'll actually learn to play it at some point.

OK, now that's pretty amazing - the kitchen counter thing just makes it even better, IMO :D

Also, the gurdy I ordered was shipped from Poland the other day. A friend who commissioned one around the same time (a few days after I ordered mine, in fact) got his yesterday. (:argh:) So hopefully I'll get mine today or tomorrow! Super fast though. I wasn't expecting it to get here for a few weeks, at least.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BDA posted:

Really goes with your AV too. loving love that paint job.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Welp, after waiting over six months I've now got my gurdy! :toot: Now all I need to do is...figure out how to actually play it?? :confused:
Either way, it'll be a good challenge to learn - even better, seeing as a friend of mine got one too, so we can hopefully help/push each other.

Here are some pics anyway, so you can see. Personally, I'm very happy with how it turned out :discourse:
(Not to mention happy with the fact that it wasn't damaged in transit...phew!)

Lots of gizmos, doodads and whats-its here:

Bonus pic of the dogs in their PJs, sniffing excitedly at what looks like a bar fridge :D

I've gotta say, I feel a little out of place here with a bizarro gurdy, among all you guitarists posting in here! :D Tempted to start a gurdy thread, once I've figured things out a little better... Not sure how many others around here play, though!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 5, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely do not feel weird. That thing's cool.

I'm on vacation in the mountains and came real close to buying a handmade dulcimer/mando thing. Music just falls out of them effortlessly.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Giving me gas for a cheap hurdy drat

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

That is super cool!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks! I think I'll definitely be able to crank some fun sounds out of it at least, haha :D I just hope the neighbours don't mind, if they happen to be in earshot!

Also, I reckon I'm 100% gonna have to get some more foam to glue together, to cover the top+sides of the gurdy in its softcase/padded bag. As per the photo earlier it's reasonably well protected at either end, but if something bangs the top I'm probably in trouble. :ohdear:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Dog_Meat posted:

As DrChu said put an old tshirt, towel, sock, rag or some sort of soft cloth over the hooks and foam to save your guitar finish. I'm trying to google up a good image of the "stain" left behind but it's proving to be a pain because I remember seeing a white LP where there was a v shape halfway up the back of the neck from sitting in a floor stand. Google has shown me some guitars with sizable dents where the finish has been eaten away though.

Edit: I found a related damage image of the old leaving a clip on tuner on the headstock too long thing too.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2021

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Man, I didn't realise it was doing damage. Oh well - at least it means my shiny Gibson finally has a "ding" caused by me and I can relax.

I've trimmed an old sock and made a couple of cloth condoms for the hook for now. Thanks guys!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Major Isoor posted:

Welp, after waiting over six months I've now got my gurdy! :toot: Now all I need to do is...figure out how to actually play it?? :confused:
Either way, it'll be a good challenge to learn - even better, seeing as a friend of mine got one too, so we can hopefully help/push each other.

Here are some pics anyway, so you can see. Personally, I'm very happy with how it turned out :discourse:
(Not to mention happy with the fact that it wasn't damaged in transit...phew!)

Lots of gizmos, doodads and whats-its here:

I have no idea what a Gurdy is but that thing is fuckin’ cool and I’m glad you posted it.

You also introduced me to a Gurdy so if anything you’re educating people with your posts :D

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lovely gurdy and lovely dogs major. Greetings from imp zone

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

I have no idea what a Gurdy is but that thing is fuckin’ cool and I’m glad you posted it.

You also introduced me to a Gurdy so if anything you’re educating people with your posts :D

haha yeah, they're pretty wacky instruments! Glad at least one extra person's now been brought to the light of hurdy gurdies :D I've been busy this week, bit I'm looking forward to actually making some noises with it, this weekend

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lovely gurdy and lovely dogs major. Greetings from imp zone

Oh hey, fancy seeing you here Pablo! You're far from home :D (Or should it be the other way around? I don't exactly post here much, after all) Thanks!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

For those that don't know here's what a hurdy gurdy is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvpXr9O0J4

Usually they are more used in folk music this one was just fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

For those that don't know here's what a hurdy gurdy is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtvpXr9O0J4

Usually they are more used in folk music this one was just fun.

Yeah, there are some pretty insane gurdy covers out there! This one's definitely up there - I knew which vid you were linking to without even looking, haha :D That guy can definitely do things with a gurdy!

TBH if I ever get to the point where I can REASONABLY play the gurdy, I 100% wanna commission an electroacoustic hurdy gurdy with all the frills, then try getting cool sounds like what you can do for electric guitars with fuzz, reverb and whatnot.

I'm sure it'll be ABSOLUTELY horrific in its own way, but it's gotta be done. :D It'll be extra interesting with the drone string, too. Only problem is that instead of a six month wait for this gurdy, it's like, a 2+ year wait.