Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I played most of Charterstone two player and was bored and underwhelmed almost the entire time. My girlfriend really enjoyed it though so unsure what to say. All I know is that I think the game itself sucks and would not recommend it unless you were desperate for any sort of light, light WP/euro game with legacy components. It was a huge let down for me coming off the still glowing highs of Scythe. Maybe it would be more intriguing at higher player counts, who knows.

My City was superior in every way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've played a full campaign of Charterstone at both 2 and 6 players so I liked it enough to play it twice but I remember like nothing about it. Unremarkable really.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FulsomFrank posted:

My City was superior in every way.

As someone who definitely drools and claps his hands like an excited child every time I open a new envelope in a legacy game regardless of how fun the game itself is, My City 100% works great here. Each game is like 15-20 minutes and then you get a cool new scoring rule to commiserate over, and every 3 games you get more substantial cool changes.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Mage Knight Digital is dead. :negative:

Wonder if DWD thought the profit margin for it would be extremely poor.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tekopo posted:

Finally managed to see my parents after like 2 years and brought Baseball Highlights with me and I really like the game. I think it’s one of those undervalued deck builders and my dad, who usually isn’t much into board games, really enjoys it. Should get some of those expansions for it though.

Is Baseball Highlights one of those games with a solo mode? I loving love baseball but I live in the UK so I'm the only one.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

How's Charterstone? I see it's available on switch/steam/ios, in descending order of price.

It's pretty much garbage. Someone is going to mess up in game 1 and know they have by game 3. Then you have 9 more games to play. As someone else noted its also wildy unbalanced. In the game we played one player ended up with a 3 action cycle that was unblockable and won them every subsequent game at about the halfway point.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Aramoro posted:

It's pretty much garbage. Someone is going to mess up in game 1 and know they have by game 3. Then you have 9 more games to play. As someone else noted its also wildy unbalanced. In the game we played one player ended up with a 3 action cycle that was unblockable and won them every subsequent game at about the halfway point.

This happened to us, too, but the biggest mistake was involving the automata.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

Is Baseball Highlights one of those games with a solo mode? I loving love baseball but I live in the UK so I'm the only one.

I haven't played it for awhile, but I remember the solo mode being pretty good.

(edit): here's a little series One Stop Coop Shop did solo (the first one is kind of a minigame, then he does the world series):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTmhkPW5fM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKhPQePD9UQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjlzCjjeowo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ir-UjHP6Q

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 4, 2021

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Codeacious posted:

Mage Knight Digital is dead. :negative:

Wonder if DWD thought the profit margin for it would be extremely poor.

That sucks, but to be fair, MK is a game I have fond memories of playing, but it's not a game I would want to play right now and maybe not even digitally. At its heart, what I loved was the tactical planning of my turn, but I feel like that could be streamlined. For a digital implementation, I'm sure you can come up with ways to transform the mechanics to make it look more like a video game. For example, imagine a combat that visually looks like Slay the Spire.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I like bottom of the 9th more than Baseball Highlights. It’s solely focused on the pitcher v batter matchup but I think it does that really well with the batter trying to presict high/low and inside/outside and the two roles getting bonuses to die rolls depending on what’s guessed right/wrong. The real time die roll rule sucks so use the turn based variant for that portion. It also has pitcher fatigue to manage, different lineups, etc. It’s pretty compelling for a small box sports game.

Baseball Highlights is cool in that you’re managing a team (and over a season if you play that way) but the actual game felt too much like rock paper scissors for my taste and blowouts were more common than nailbiters.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

gschmidl posted:

This happened to us, too, but the biggest mistake was involving the automata.

I had to skip one week of my group's Charterstone game, and they had the automata play for me. I didn't care because I had made mistakes game 1 that meant I never had a chance of winning.

When I came back the automata had given me a combo on a silver platter that nobody else could interact with, meaning I won the last five games and the entire campaign.

Legacy garbage aside, the game is fundamentally boring and full of contradictory design philosophies. Combos are incentivized to be spread across different parts of the board, except you have minions which means going to other parts of the board is worse. And by the end of the campaign everyone has so many minions that there is no interaction and it's a two hour slog with no decision making.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

We had the check the rules several times about minions because it seemed there was no way we had read them right. But we had, some minions are just insanely good and some….aren’t.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If anyone has the Hollywood Golden Age version of the Knizia game Dream Factory lying around and wants to get rid of it I'm looking to buy a copy. It was apparently on the BGG store recently and was printed in a few different places so hoping it's not too obscure.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bottom Liner posted:

I like bottom of the 9th more than Baseball Highlights. It’s solely focused on the pitcher v batter matchup but I think it does that really well with the batter trying to presict high/low and inside/outside and the two roles getting bonuses to die rolls depending on what’s guessed right/wrong. The real time die roll rule sucks so use the turn based variant for that portion. It also has pitcher fatigue to manage, different lineups, etc. It’s pretty compelling for a small box sports game.

Baseball Highlights is cool in that you’re managing a team (and over a season if you play that way) but the actual game felt too much like rock paper scissors for my taste and blowouts were more common than nailbiters.

Oh, also if you like the simulation side of things, another good one is Deadball: http://wmakers.net/deadball

It's not a boxed game, you just buy the book and play with dice and pen and paper like an RPG, but it does a pretty fun job of simulating games and you can base it off real teams' stats or roll up your own random teams. It's got a few expansions, one to simulate older games where there was less power hitting and "Year II" and "Year III" expansions that give some new rules for stuff like freak injuries and bad calls and stuff. But you can play just fine with the base book and then decide if you want any of the expansions later.

Best of all the base game book is "pay what you want" on DriveThruRPG so you can get the PDF version for a dollar or order the softcover for a minimum of like three bucks. The expansions are 10 bucks each, or 15 to order printed in softcover.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh, also if you like the simulation side of things, another good one is Deadball: http://wmakers.net/deadball

Oh this is cool, just ordered the base book, thanks!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 4, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

StarkRavingMad posted:

So that's how they generate all those Blaseball games...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got my copies of Pax Renaissance and Pax Viking. Beautiful games. I might try the solitaire versions tonight.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Folks play what you like, noting that Phil Eklund is one of the most racist designers in the hobby and he's part of the publishing team for that publisher. I'm talking about the Pax games, with the exception of Pax Pamir 2nd edition.

I'd prefer that the discussion moves on, there are other places to discuss games designed by a racist. Thanks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

+1

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I'm supposed to be reading the rulebook for Pax Ren 2nd edition for a friend, but I keep getting distracted by those massive footnotes. It doesn't help that I've started referring to the game as Pax Acupuncture and Mysticism as a result of those footnotes either.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 5, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mayveena posted:

Folks play what you like, noting that Phil Eklund is one of the most racist designers in the hobby and he's part of the publishing team for that publisher. I'm talking about the Pax games, with the exception of Pax Pamir 2nd edition.

I'd prefer that the discussion moves on, there are other places to discuss games designed by a racist. Thanks.

So wait, are we saying no one can discuss any Pax game in this thread other than Pamir 2nd?

For what it’s worth, I bought Pax Porf second hand, so I didn’t give ol racist Phil any money.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

So wait, are we saying no one can discuss any Pax game in this thread other than Pamir 2nd?

For what it’s worth, I bought Pax Porf second hand, so I didn’t give ol racist Phil any money.

No one said you can't, but a prominent figure in both the board gaming hobby and this thread asked us not to out of good taste and I agree 100%. We all draw the line for supporting a garbage person where we feel comfortable, but folks here would rather not hear about him or his games anymore other than to warn others about his awful beliefs and agendas that he tries to spread through them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Rockman Reserve posted:

I am weak and I bought the Dark Souls Board Game. It's honestly not as bad as I was expecting from some of the reviews, I've been playing it solo and have had a lot of really cool/fun encounters in between some that are just insane (screw Silver Knights, just like in the games). It's frustrating though in that I really feel like it could be way better with some minor tweaks - just offhand I'm thinking something like rolling a Dodge check against the difficulty of an encounter for an opportunity to go first would really even it out a lot.

I've got it all set up now for the first mini boss encounter which uses different enemy AI rules and everyone raves over, so this should be interesting.

Quoting myself from a few pages back here but the mini boss fight was honestly pretty sick, I lost at the very end but genuinely the way the boss has an actual facing direction and a lot of move and push abilities made it a lot of fun, even in a pretty dumb dice-chucker, even solitaire. It certainly avoided the feeling of some games (up to and including badly-designed TTRPG encounters) where you just toss dice and equipment modifiers back and forth with a boss until one of you runs out of resources and dies. I had tough choices every single turn.

I don't know, I'm going to give it another solid couple of plays here because it feels better than a licensed board game usually does, even though it has some obvious flaws. The way the random treasure deck works means that in a lot of cases, it's better to go back and blow your limited Souls on new draws rather than trying to bank them for big level ups, at least until you have some impressive but just-tantalizingly-out-of-reach-of-your-stats equipment in hand. This unfortunately means that you're likely to get some absolute dead draws that are either unfeasible for your character to ever equip or downgrades to things you already have. In some ways, the equipment deck works really well - if I spend four souls for four new items, I can be at least pretty sure I got either a new upgrade or an interesting tactical option out of it, despite the huge deck, and it is kind of cool when you look at the board and realize you're suddenly steamrolling previously tough encounters based on something cool you found in a chest or something you burned a couple left over souls on. Still, I think it's one of the very, very few things that I think would genuinely be improved by a market row for the shop. That, maybe the Dodge roll initiative variant I thought about above (or hell, just doing initiative with the player in Threat Level order with the enemies, the number is right there on the freaking card - but that might bend things TOO far in the players' direction), maybe a tweak to the way Souls work (in a solitaire game, you get 16 to start with (a HUGE sum) because you're going it alone, but encounters only give 2 each...I'm thinking like 8 and 4 for those respectively?)

Anyway since then I had my board game crew over and we played Tragedy Looper and oh god I've wanted to play TL so hard since binging Higurashi and most of Umineko the past year, it was awesome. Did I dream that there was a Tragedy Looper expansion that maybe included some errata?

Also, is there a place to buy blank white diecut countersheets for round counters? I know GMT makes blank chits for wargames, but every now and then I get a bit tipsy watching Hulu and have this recurring idea for a Bob's Burgers board game that I absolutely need to prototype for my own sanity.

E: also uh if I had known that stuff about Eklund before (which is possible) it had definitely slipped my mind so I at least appreciated the brief reminder there

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

No one said you can't, but a prominent figure in both the board gaming hobby and this thread asked us not to out of good taste and I agree 100%. We all draw the line for supporting a garbage person where we feel comfortable, but folks here would rather not hear about him or his games anymore other than to warn others about his awful beliefs and agendas that he tries to spread through them.

Yeah I wouldn't have bought Pax Ren if I'd know beforehand. But I got it now, so I'll file it next to my Marion Zimmer Bradley books.

On the other hand, he doesn't appear to be the designer for Pax Viking, so that one should be okay? It's the one my friends wanna try next Sunday anyway, after we go see the Kaamelott movie.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

can we gather a list of the games/designers who we shouldn't talk about?

Jordan Draper - all of the "Tokyo X" games
Phil Eklund - most of the Pax games
Sandy Petersen - anything Cthulhu Wars/Glorantha: God's War/bunch of others
Daniele Toscini - bunch of euros

once we have a complete list maybe add it to the OP?

EDIT: VVVV Petersen is listed as the sole designer on BGG.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 5, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fate Accomplice posted:

Jordan Draper - all of the "Tokyo X" games
Phil Eklund - most of the Pax games
Sandy Petersen - anything Cthulhu Wars/Glorantha/bunch of others
Daniele Toscini - bunch of euros

once we have a complete list maybe add it to the OP?

Glorantha was Greg Stafford's creation, no?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

okay man if this is where I find out that recommending King of Dragon Pass to anyone and everyone is putting money in lovely peoples' pockets I might need a stiffer drink

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Glorantha was definitely created by Greg Stafford, an anthropologist and shaman. Never heard anything bad about the guy.

I guess Petersen did a board game based on it, looking on google, but it’s very much not his thing.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So, my group is really enjoying Pandemic Legacy Season 1. I am looking to add more legacy style games, or just games that are very repayable
We have a guaranteed 4 players and are looking for a solid possible 5th for some games.

I am looking at grabbing Kings Dilemma and My City.
Sonar will likely be tacked on as a quick filler game. Captain Sonar will never happen sadly

A buddy would really like a dungeon crawling type game but the other 2 players are iffy on it. I have Jaws of The Lion and will look to grab Frosthaven once it drops. Is there anything else legacy like in that vein?

Lastly, we have really been enjoying the White Chapel game(not letters to white chapel but investigators trying to chase down Jack the ripper) and my buddy is REALLY interested in Fury of Dracula.
I know it's on the 3rd or 4th edition by now. Is there any game like fury but..... better?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So, my group is really enjoying Pandemic Legacy Season 1. I am looking to add more legacy style games, or just games that are very repayable

not 100% sure what you mean here, legacy games are almost by definition less replayable than others cause you're permanently affecting the game/components with each play.

most of the best games are very replayable.

if you like PLS1, PLS2 I thought had better mechanics with a slightly less cool story, excluding one twist that was bonkers. I'm just over halfway done with PLS0 and mechanically it's my favorite of the three, though the storyline is the least compelling.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

We have a guaranteed 4 players and are looking for a solid possible 5th for some games.

A buddy would really like a dungeon crawling type game but the other 2 players are iffy on it. I have Jaws of The Lion and will look to grab Frosthaven once it drops. Is there anything else legacy like in that vein?

if JotL goes over well, pick up Gloomhaven while waiting the 9+ months before Frosthaven?

There are a bunch of legacy dungeon crawlers arriving from kickstarters in the last few months - none so far have compared favorably with Gloomhaven mechanically.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I know it's a thread favorite but even with a dedicated group I just never, ever could get full Gloomhaven to the table. For my money, JotL is just better overall, and you can let your crew play it with whatever classes they have unlocked in their sad, solitaire Gloomhaven campaign.

As far as campaign-y games with a lot of replayability and very light dungeon crawling aspects (read here as exploring new locales as the game progresses and fighting new monsters as they spawn) have you tried the Arkham Horror LCG? The core set itself is a bit anemic but should at least let you know if it's something your group would be into, and most of the campaigns and standalone scenarios are fun and interesting. The only warning I would give to new players is that the distribution model is absolute rear end - each campaign has a core box that includes a full set of new investigators to play as and the first two scenarios for the campaign, then there are six "mythos packs" per campaign that contain the rest of the scenarios and a couple cards for each class. With a dedicated group it's not really that bad, since you only really need one of each pack per group, but if everyone wants a full set of cards it can add up. Still, it's a pretty fantastic game (IMO) and the core box does give you a pretty decent little taste. If you like it past the core set I'd recommend The Path to Carcosa as a good campaign to check out - I don't remember if it was the third or fourth campaign released but it was the first one I really felt ironed out some of the rough patches they were figuring out. Through the Ages has a few neat narrative and gameplay twists but is just a meat grinder for the first few scenarios because FFG was worried the game was too easy, Shadow over Innsmouth or whatever the first campaign was called had a bunch of really cool ideas (the casino scenario is still one of my favorites in the whole gameline) marred by a bunch of stuff like the Essex County Express scenario which had a nasty habit of just ending with a player party loss due to bad encounter card draws and board setup.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

have you tried the Arkham Horror LCG?

The only warning I would give to new players is that the distribution model is absolute rear end - each campaign has a core box that includes a full set of new investigators to play as and the first two scenarios for the campaign, then there are six "mythos packs" per campaign that contain the rest of the scenarios and a couple cards for each class. With a dedicated group it's not really that bad, since you only really need one of each pack per group, but if everyone wants a full set of cards it can add up. Still, it's a pretty fantastic game (IMO) and the core box does give you a pretty decent little taste.

fantastic suggestion, and it's important to note that FFG is in the process of redoing their distribution model for this game - a new revised core set is coming soon, and going forward instead of having 6 scenario packs + 1 campaign pack + 1 return box, each campaign will be split into two expansions, one for the player cards and one for the scenarios.

not sure if they're planning on giving that treatment to the existing campaigns.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fate Accomplice posted:

When did anyone suggest making a cancel list? We're talking here specifically about Phil Eklund, who is not just a racist but one who designs his games around his beliefs and uses the games as a platform to proselytise them.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Not to mention Phil Eklund's games hide behind the veneer of high complexity scientific or historical settings, so people not aware of his beliefs might think that his games would be representative of science or history.

This is the designer who believes socialism is slavery, abolition was only possible all thanks to capitalism, and bragged about being the only designer brave enough to gameify the R word rape.

minema
May 31, 2011
One of my favourite games is Alchemists because of the logic puzzle mechanic - are there any other games that have similar puzzle driven gameplay?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Awkward Guests is definitely up your alley.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Cryptid would be a good one if you're after logic stuff too.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Cryptid would be a good one if you're after logic stuff too.

And Tobago further along these lines

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Search for Planet X is very much a logic puzzle too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Llyranor posted:

Not to mention Phil Eklund's games hide behind the veneer of high complexity scientific or historical settings, so people not aware of his beliefs might think that his games would be representative of science or history.

On a related note are there other games which do anything even vaguely similar to what High Frontier does because it sure would be nice to indulge my boyfriend's rocket fanaticism without Eklund being involved.

Also the game is kind of poo poo so that's another reason to not want to play it