Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mediaphage posted:

hard disagree, there's essentially nothing that a live tile or widget can tell me that i need to know that will save me from opening an app to actually check it out. the only thing i can possibly think of is if you have a day of random meetings but even then you should be getting reminders beforehand that obviate the need for a widget or tile showing whatever your next meeting is

like i don't care if you like them, it's whatever. i just find them both completely useless

also i think it's weird that a non-live tile is considered "better" than just an app icon, they're the same?

what if you wanna read the first five words of your most recent email and you also have notifications off? tiles/widgets might be for you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember when google was the cool underdog and Microsoft was the evil monolith?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

hard disagree, there's essentially nothing that a live tile or widget can tell me that i need to know that will save me from opening an app to actually check it out. the only thing i can possibly think of is if you have a day of random meetings but even then you should be getting reminders beforehand that obviate the need for a widget or tile showing whatever your next meeting is

like i don't care if you like them, it's whatever. i just find them both completely useless

also i think it's weird that a non-live tile is considered "better" than just an app icon, they're the same?

nah tiles were better even if not live because they werent such a waste of space and you could change sizes. also things like weather and meetings and poo poo were actually useful mostly because the way windows phone handled notifications and app badging was far far far better.

like i never had to open my calendar to see what my next meeting was on windows phone (mostly cause it would be on the glance screen) but i have to every time with ios. also ios outlook sucks rear end but thats not really an ios problem beyond ios mail not being good enough.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Amen. It's a shame they handled WP7 -> 8 -> 10 so poorly. I understand the technical hurdles and achievements but drat, it alienated so many people. :smith:

winphone7 was already years late to the party and they were genuinely dumb and/or arrogant enough to think that people would rewrite all their apps in c# just for them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it drives me nuts that outlook on ios shows total unread count instead of the actually useful count of unread since last view like win 10 mail does.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Carthag Tuek posted:

what if you wanna read the first five words of your most recent email and you also have notifications off? tiles/widgets might be for you!!

lol i don't even let email clients have an unread badge. if i have time and want to check my email, i will open the app. not gonna let it give me email anxiety by seeing numbers

Shaggar posted:

nah tiles were better even if not live because they werent such a waste of space and you could change sizes. also things like weather and meetings and poo poo were actually useful mostly because the way windows phone handled notifications and app badging was far far far better.

like i never had to open my calendar to see what my next meeting was on windows phone (mostly cause it would be on the glance screen) but i have to every time with ios. also ios outlook sucks rear end but thats not really an ios problem beyond ios mail not being good enough.

how is a static tile not a waste of space but an app icon is

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i sort of forgot that ios widgets were even a thing. there doesn't seem to really be anything in ios pointing you towards them or letting you know that they exist.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

lol i don't even let email clients have an unread badge. if i have time and want to check my email, i will open the app. not gonna let it give me email anxiety by seeing numbers

how is a static tile not a waste of space but an app icon is

you can size them differently.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

you can size them differently.

that’s not the same thing, really, as saying an icon is a waste of space. i think you can argue that it’s perhaps better for accessibility, otherwise i don’t buy that making a square icon bigger just for the sake of being bigger actually makes it more efficient

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

i sort of forgot that ios widgets were even a thing. there doesn't seem to really be anything in ios pointing you towards them or letting you know that they exist.

every single iOS widget is useless and if you make the mistake of adding one, it reflows all your icons on the screen and then when you drag it somewhere else they reflow back into an order different from their original layout.

the basic UX teaches you to never experiment with widgets

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like the widget that shows pics from my camera roll

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
my home screen has the 2x4 calendar widget, a 2x2 weather widget, and 2x2 activity widget to remind me to go for a run or lift each day, and i like them

the activity widget is actually useful in guilting me into working out, like my daily/weekly reminders (daily: empty cat litter boxes, weekly: feed sourdough starter, etc.), it is pretty effective to see the thing repeatedly and think "ugh fine"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

worst mobile homescreen layout is a grid of icons but wp tiles is a close second as its a jumbled mess of random bullshit that constantly changes

googles at a glance widget is the best option on an otherwise barren screen because all you need to know is right there without distractions and ui clutter

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
who cares about the home screen? swipe down -> start typing the app name.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

that’s not the same thing, really, as saying an icon is a waste of space. i think you can argue that it’s perhaps better for accessibility, otherwise i don’t buy that making a square icon bigger just for the sake of being bigger actually makes it more efficient

its a waste of space that can be used better by allowing you to resize icons. you can make them both smaller and bigger than the standard tile size. I had some less commonly used apps in smaller sizes and others larger for live tile info.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i like the weather widget and the travel time widget and the calendar widget on my iphone

swipe left, see info, done

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i keep widgets on their own screen

one home screen w/ groups for less used stuff
swipe left for widget screen
swipe right for app library screen

works 4 me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

its a waste of space that can be used better by allowing you to resize icons. you can make them both smaller and bigger than the standard tile size. I had some less commonly used apps in smaller sizes and others larger for live tile info.

i don’t want app icons to be any smaller; they’d be hard to tap. making them bigger would make them easier to tap in terms of accessibility. lesser used apps get put in folders. i think this just a different philosophy of how you want to see your apps listed but i don’t believe it’s a waste of space.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cold on a Cob posted:

i like the weather widget and the travel time widget
tired: travel time widget
wired: time travel widget

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FMguru posted:

tired: travel time widget
wired: time travel widget

new version of macos time machine looking good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lysidas posted:

(daily: empty cat litter boxes, weekly: feed sourdough starter, etc.)

this can be optimized

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft takes a stand and eats poo poo for it, again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the tpm requirement is good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

the tpm requirement is good

it is, yes.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on the other hand, the cpu requirements seem to be arbitrary. like they're supporting skylake xeons but not skylake core cpus. is there some security feature the xeons have that the cores dont?

if microsoft has an underlying technical reason for the cut off then post that poo poo so we can understand it, otherwise it just seems like a cash grab on behalf of OEMs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no idea and they don't seem compelled to share any further details. so while a lot of the hardware floor at least appears dumb and arbitrary, tpm specifically isn't.

otoh, apple pulls this poo poo every release and almost no one gives a poo poo

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

these outreach efforts are really gonna hurt the tens of people watching these streams

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

on the other hand, the cpu requirements seem to be arbitrary. like they're supporting skylake xeons but not skylake core cpus. is there some security feature the xeons have that the cores dont?

if microsoft has an underlying technical reason for the cut off then post that poo poo so we can understand it, otherwise it just seems like a cash grab on behalf of OEMs

maybe intel has an unpatchable cpu flaw and Microsoft is just covering for them

like it’s not even about system security, it’s just video drm

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

heh, looks like my gaming computer is going to get left behind because it's haswell. I guess intel is going to make a fuckton of money when people run out and buy new intel pc's that aren't noticeably better than their intel pc from five years ago

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

more like hasbeen

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my next cpu is gonna be an AMD tbh those ryzens are good

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's been so long since I've upgraded my PC I honestly have no clue anymore what generation CPU it is.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

otoh, apple pulls this poo poo every release and almost no one gives a poo poo

when we drop hardware it’s almost always because of memory restrictions or because we want to complete a major architecture shift by like dropping the i386 kernel. i don’t think we’ve ever dropped something because we thought the cpu was just too drat slow

the only processor features that are really hard to work around not having are things like wide atomics, which they already started requiring in win8.1. or i guess if you really wanted to base your kernel around having specific virtualization or context-management support. anyway, if they’d done any of that, their betas wouldn’t even boot on old chips. it’s just a higher-level policy decision, i guess because they really care about secure boot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if i had to guess, they're doing something that requires TSX or some other post-sandy bridge only feature.

the existence of xpostfacto seems to belie the necessity of some of the hardware requirements in macos. mojave runs fine on pretty much anything that ran sierra, except apple didn't want to write metal drivers for gpus older than the intel 4000 series, so there's a hard cutoff there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

spankmeister posted:

they're pretty great. they also have tpm 2.0 support on the cpu

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I need tpm for my gamehole

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

has Intel ever shipped a version of TSX that has worked correctly?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

spankmeister posted:

:same: but I am not going to run out and buy one just for windows 11

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They're pushing TPMs because Windows 11 is a land grab to force hardware DRM and remote attestation onto the platform, which they will then crow about to ISVs so that the ISVs in question will all move to the Microsoft Store. As soon as they succeed in pushing discrete TPMs they'll immediately mandate integrated TPMs for the next version. Android already has a remote attestation feature as of a few years ago and applications are making gleeful use of it.

If you have a cracked copy of whatever Windows Store program you want to run then you can still run it easily enough, but it'll make bypassing ads and user tracking more cumbersome.

Windows will always be able to run arbitrary software; a UWP-only version of Windows isn't going to happen since the Win32 Windows legacy platform is the only compelling reason to use Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember when the processor serial number was going to be used to keep people from running pirated software back in the PII days?