Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god, I did not know about Project Overlord. or at least I heard of the DLC but didn't know what the plot of it was. holy poo poo how did that fly. Pat goes into "head-holding cringe mode" many times during the mission, and rightfully so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nESMD4H9A4E&hd=1

"autism as a superpower" is the most white guy hollywood interpretation of it as you can possibly get. gently caress rain man and every other piece of media that uses that trope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

This probably isn’t the intended reading, but you could read it as the Gavin Archer (the lead scientist who oversaw… all that) and Cerberus at large as being complete dipshits who have no idea what they’re dealing with, and who’s projects always ends in total disaster and many of their people killed

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's a reason why Paragon is like 87% of what people go for in these games. Any attempt at 'morally gray' is cartoonishly evil.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The point of that DLC is in fact that there’s no superpower. The guy is intensely scared and in pain and the scientist is an amoral monster for doing what he’s done.

The guy learnt Binary clicks as a form of communication, that does not make plugging him into a computer to control Geth a good idea. The fact his brother thought it could make him a super computer is intended as the brother making the exact tropey misunderstanding, and in doing so torturing someone he’s supposed to love and protect.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 3, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Mass Effect 2 is also the game where you can get paragon points for selling a slave real good to a nice corporation on the no holds barred hypercapitalist planet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lord_Magmar posted:

The point of that DLC is in fact that there’s no superpower. The guy is intensely scared and in pain and the scientist is an amoral monster for doing what he’s done.

The guy learnt Binary clicks as a form of communication, that does not make plugging him into a computer to control Geth a good idea. The fact his brother thought it could make him a super computer is intended as the brother making the exact tropey misunderstanding, and in doing so torturing someone he’s supposed to love and protect.

oh okay, I'm only halfway through watching it so he's only just gotten to the part where it's outright saying he's autistic and a supergenius etc, good to see that they're explicitly and blatantly wrong on that

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Captain Invictus posted:

oh okay, I'm only halfway through watching it so he's only just gotten to the part where it's outright saying he's autistic and a supergenius etc, good to see that they're explicitly and blatantly wrong on that

I might be misremembering stuff, and the brother is intended to be smart. But the scientist who stuffed him in a computer is indeed pretty clearly grossly wrong and misunderstanding to do so. So it might still have the super genius autistic trope, but it’s presenting the interpretation as pretty misguided as treating this like a superpower instead of as a person with a different life experience and needs.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sounds a human cannot make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDo8SvrdHhA

Speaking Geth is a super power.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Sounds a human cannot make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDo8SvrdHhA

Speaking Geth is a super power.

who recorded my farts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

You know I think I'm just getting old. These new electronica songs just don't do it for me.

EDIT: Got to the drop nvm this is good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

People can be smart and autistic without the two being connected.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

only autistic people can be samrt

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1422469259104563210

Woolie's gonna play Raidou!

This will either be a disaster or really good, depending on what weird Japanese Culture Hot Take he latches on to for the playthrough. :v:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He's absolutely gonna say something goofy about the clothes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Forget woolie's Japan thoughts, wait until he touches the Raidou CONTROLS lol

e: woolie pmcs are real, not invented by metal gear

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 3, 2021

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I need a clip of woolie saying pmcs aren't real lmao

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Taisho-Era fashion rules.

Are Woolie and V gonna get together again soon?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJbGVPVcaf8

solid title and intro vid imo

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/1422565819767197696

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Taisho-Era fashion rules.

Are Woolie and V gonna get together again soon?

Woolie goes over that exact question on the podcast.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

...is this an actual trope?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Vandar posted:

...is this an actual trope?

No. Read the rest of the guy's thread, it's pretty funny.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dabir posted:

Woolie goes over that exact question on the podcast.
Haven't watched it yet, my apologies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie reaffirming centrism in today's Disco.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Killing people with bullets? Far too distasteful.

We should kill people with a crushing slow grind of worsening material conditions.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It is funny to see him just dig his heels in on the viewpoint the game is explicitly the most critical of.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rody One Half posted:

It is funny to see him just dig his heels in on the viewpoint the game is explicitly the most critical of.

Would he be Woolie if he did otherwise?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

I kinda like that he's taking the path of most resistance. It makes the game's harshest moments hit him even harder.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I honestly don't think moralism is the view point DE is most critical of entirely because Kim exists while there's literally not a single likable NPC for fascism or ultraliberal

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Honestly I think most of the characters you encounter are somewhere in the moralist or otherwise spectrum. There's 1 outright communist who is a unlikable dick

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

I honestly don't think moralism is the view point DE is most critical of entirely because Kim exists while there's literally not a single likable NPC for fascism or ultraliberal
Hey I liked Joyce, who owns up to her status somewhat.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

To me its less about a straight binary more/less critical of thing and more that I think that the game reserves its sharpest criticism for the Moralists, but completely understands why and how people become Moralist. the game has the least respect for fascists because they're awful, but understands that when you look up, you see moralist airships, you know?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Kim is a moralist in name only because his entire deal is that he does not think about the bigger picture at all. He's focused entirely on doing his job and the things he knows are facts, to set him apart from the detective who often gets so lost in his position in the bigger picture it's driving him insane/bitter. He's incredibly amiable to new facts (see how fast he factors the poo poo from the ending into his world view and how quickly he accepts it). Kim doesn't really stand for the moralist ideology like other characters do for their own. He's a moralist because that's the major foundational thinking for people in his line of work and sussing out his personal politics isn't what he's paid for and isn't directly helping people as much as just focusing on his job. The characters that do stand for the ideology and preach it so to speak the game speaks incredibly loving poorly of, either through them directly (Like the thought cabinet description of the ideology) or how their ruling class of THe Ultra Liberals think of them (See: Sunday Friend and Joyce)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It is worth noting that the actual distinction between the ultralibs and the moralintern is simply a case of mask off mask on. Joyce essentially outright tells you this even if the rest of the game isn't exactly subtle about it either. That's the whole point, that neoliberal capitalism is just as cruel as anything it proclaims to fight, If not more so, because at least the fascists are honest about being a boot on your face.

As to the game's stance on communism, It is an unapologetically communist game, but nothing is more critical of the left than the left itself, And the game's principal writer is Estonian, So it's not like he is under any delusion about the directions things CAN go which is part of the purpose of Phil Greaves at the end

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 5, 2021

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

apparently woolie got spoiled on the ending to disco elysium by the chat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and that friends is why you never read chat

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Stairmaster posted:

apparently woolie got spoiled on the ending to disco elysium by the pat

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at Woolie getting really loving weird in that last conversation with the other police

i wish the game actually let him self destruct there while he was having his little fit of pique

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rody One Half posted:

And the game's principal writer is Estonian, So it's not like he is under any delusion about the directions things CAN go

you know I don't actually know anything about Estonian history I'm going to look up the context for this

*google*

Yikes!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I assume the thing he was spoiled on was The Meeting?