Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Something might be going on with Fullbright.

https://twitter.com/plante/status/1423076908451778561?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

oh what the gently caress? Tone control was so good, why does Steve Gaynor have to suck?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

what the gently caress kind of statement is this supposed to be, that's just pathetic

Did he get metood? Did he steal a bunch of money? Is he dying? For gently caress's sake stop weaseling around and just say what's going on!

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I feel like if it was something really dire he'd get booted completely? Sticking on as a writer implies that he's just, like, an rear end in a top hat or something, or a bad manager in an organizational or project management sense, and not outright abusive or hostile.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That is a vague and confusing statement.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah that is a weird loving statement, I'm not even sure he did anything? They really should have dropped whatever explanation simultaneously.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We care a lot about transparency and trust, which is why we're announcing that this guy is changing jobs because mumble mumble mumble. Play our game. Thank you

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

edit: On second thought probably better not to amplify it just to poo poo-talk him.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 5, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.polygon.com/22610490/fullbright-steve-gaynor-controversy-stepped-down-open-roads

quote:

Multiple former employees, who spoke with Polygon anonymously out of fear of retaliation, described the Fullbright work environment as “controlling,” a place in which staffers felt undermined and demeaned by Gaynor. Because of Gaynor’s status as the co-founder of a beloved indie darling, some former employees say they were worried about being blacklisted from the industry — though some ended up leaving the industry entirely, anyway. These former employees said they did not experience or witness sexual harassment or explicit sexism; instead, they said, the studio’s toxic culture hid behind the veneer of inclusivity, as women were allegedly repeatedly broken down by microaggressions.

Well then. This sounds bad.

The article states that Gaynor stepped down in March.

Oh, also:

quote:

Fifteen employees left the studio since development on Open Roads began in 2019; around six staff members remain.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 5, 2021

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
edit: kaboom

Podima fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 5, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Edit: Nope

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 5, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

OK, the article explains the reasoning for Gaynor being switched from creative lead/manager to a writing role, and what that means:

quote:

Although Gaynor is no longer a creative lead on Open Roads, he is still working on the game as a writer. He currently has no day-to-day collaboration with the rest of the team. Instead, Annapurna Interactive is operating as a mediator between the studio developers and Gaynor, as development continues with a fraction of the company. Multiple former employees expressed concern that Gaynor was even operating in this capacity — that it was weird for a man to be writing a story about a mother and daughter, particularly a man that has allegedly demeaned several female employees.

Annapurna is the publisher and they apparently weren’t comfortable with him leaving entirely as then they might as well cancel the game. So instead he was shuffled into a writing role where he is isolated from the rest of the team, since March.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hey, Podima can you edit out your quote, please? It's probably for the best if I don't amplify his abusive poo poo especially when it isn't getting any traction and we can circle back around if it goes anywhere.
My bad.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 5, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If they're down to 6 members of a 21 person team they SHOULD just cancel it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ErrEff posted:

OK, the article explains the reasoning for Gaynor being switched from creative lead/manager to a writing role, and what that means:

Annapurna is the publisher and they apparently weren’t comfortable with him leaving entirely as then they might as well cancel the game. So instead he was shuffled into a writing role where he is isolated from the rest of the team, since March.

Love 2 write a game about the importance of unionizing as I am repeatedly screamed at by my boss to write it faster.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
if it's been that way since march and there were 6 people left on the team, my gut says "the remaining people really wanted to do their passion project that they came on to do and keeping the founder in a box under the office floorboards was the compromise to the founder taking his IP and walking away with it" but it'll be interesting to see if any current employees speak up now that it's out in the open

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ErrEff posted:

https://www.polygon.com/22610490/fullbright-steve-gaynor-controversy-stepped-down-open-roads

Well then. This sounds bad.

The article states that Gaynor stepped down in March.

Oh, also:

aw gently caress no, goddammit, this sucks. I loved Gone Home and Tacoma, and was really looking forward to Open Roads

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hub Cat posted:

Hey, Podima can you edit out your quote, please? It's probably for the best if I don't amplify his abusive poo poo especially if it isn't getting any traction and we can circle back around if it goes anywhere.
My bad.

Can do!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Zaphod42 posted:

If they're down to 6 members of a 21 person team they SHOULD just cancel it.

They shouldn’t. Canceling here only pushes devs who might have these concerns where they work further into the dark. If this was a AAA studio it would probably be done but this is an opportunity for Annapurna to really make a stand for actual change. They likely have to keep him attached to remove the possibility of him taking it with him out of spite but finishing this, launching him into the sun and installing someone who has actual leadership skills in that leadership position would go a long way to proving to workers, especially women, that they don’t have to put up with guys like this.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's a quote in the article from an employee who literally raised that very concern -- they were worried about working on the game because they didn't want it to get cancelled if a story like this came to light. It would be a real shame if that came true.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DC Murderverse posted:

They shouldn’t. Canceling here only pushes devs who might have these concerns where they work further into the dark. If this was a AAA studio it would probably be done but this is an opportunity for Annapurna to really make a stand for actual change. They likely have to keep him attached to remove the possibility of him taking it with him out of spite but finishing this, launching him into the sun and installing someone who has actual leadership skills in that leadership position would go a long way to proving to workers, especially women, that they don’t have to put up with guys like this.

Yeah but when 16 people have already left you're actually long past that point.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/SteveGaynorPDX/status/1423094322396762113

Steve Gaynor posted:

Hi all. I have a statement to share about my role at Fullbright.

Earlier this year, I stepped back from my role as creative lead on Open Roads. My leadership style was hurtful to people that worked at Fullbright, and for that I truly apologize.

Stepping back has given me space and perspective to see how my role needs to change and how I need to learn and improve as part of a team, including working with an expert management consultant, and rethinking my relationship to the work at Fullbright.

I care deeply about Open Roads and the Fullbright team. I’m sad to have stepped back from day-to-day development of Open Roads, but it’s been the right thing to do. The Open Roads team has my full faith and support as they bring the game to completion.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

"leadership style" is sure a way to put "pattern of behavior that drove out enough women from the company that annapurna literally had to step in", but okay

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Weird he wasn't able to make this statement *checks notes* 5 months ago when it happened.

Almost like there's a rush panic to try and get ahead of something.

I'd put money down on him/the company being contacted by some press people asking for interviews/quotes/comments about the working conditions and they're super worried someone is getting ready to publish a take down.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Did you miss the article that was posted? He's not getting ahead of anything.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe, but it still feels like a "Sorry I got caught" apology.

Not a sex pest, but a bully and a jerk that probably should not have been in the position to manage people in the first place

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

I'd put money down on him/the company being contacted by some press people asking for interviews/quotes/comments about the working conditions and they're super worried someone is getting ready to publish a take down.

Polygon published an article speaking to employees, chief.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah, forgot to put it in past tense when I wrote it.

Unless the displayed timezones are different, it looks like the Open Roads tweet and Gaynor's tweet went up only a few hours before the story was published.

I assume everything said in both tweets was crafted by a PR team given the typical "we apologize that people are upset" tone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, I'm raising my eyebrow at the way Annapurna has handled this. Obviously, they can't force Gaynor to step down, but the idea that somehow... him still being an important writer but siloed off and with a mediator from the publisher is some kind of solution is... wild.

Unrelated, but Chris Avellone's lawyer quagmire evolves a little more with a reply memorandum filed by the defendant's lawyers: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YIBjohhSeGjuc4d8a-pzw-wR7fWrCevE/view

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh man I was really looking forward to Open Roads. Truly I just wanted Keri Russell to be my mom.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Gaynor isn't ever getting replaced or fired from his own company. They're not owned by Annapurna, they're just a publisher. There's nobody to force him to do anything.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The only thing I know about Gaynor is his cyberpunk/80s mood blog rekall.me (nsfw) which I browse through frequently. Sucks that he’s a big jerk but yeah no one can fire the guy aside from him firing himself.

Also seeing people shocked that the rot is in the indie scene as well. just because someone makes a game that’s all about inclusivity and that kind of thing doesn’t mean they’re automatically a good person.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Akuma posted:

Steve Gaynor isn't ever getting replaced or fired from his own company. They're not owned by Annapurna, they're just a publisher. There's nobody to force him to do anything.

Yes, the other two co-founders are gone now. He does as he pleases.

Johnnemann Nordhagen left shortly after Gone Home was finished.

I don’t know when Karla Zimonja left the company but…

(1) The TGA announcement and Annapurna’s own press release only has a small quote attributed to Steve, nothing from Karla

(2) Karla Zimonja retweeted the December announcement of the game but said nothing else as far as I can tell

(3) This Washington Post “making of” article from February only spoke to Steve for details on the game, some staff is named but no mention of Karla

(4) Karla just announced a new studio she’s founding like a week ago, again with Annapurna as a publisher: Ivy Road

Here, feast your eyes on this nugget of gold from the WaPo article:

quote:

Gaynor calls the work of his development team “collaborative” — art director Megan Carlsen, for example, helped guide the direction of the game’s narrative, giving insight from her teenage years. Gaynor’s own writing partner is his wife, Rachel Jacks, who drew on her experiences as a daughter and as a new mother.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 5, 2021

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ErrEff posted:

(4) Karla just announced a new studio she’s founding like a week ago, again with Annapurna as a publisher: Ivy Road

Karla from Gone Home, the guy who made Stanley Parable, and the composer for Minecraft? :frogon:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1423381828505907202

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

loving hell, imagine being too evil for Coca-Cola.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I don’t think much will happen on the Coca-Cola side…

https://www.coca-colacompany.com/company/leadership/bobby-kotick

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ErrEff posted:

:lol:

Breaking News: Citing moral concerns, Bobby Kotick severs relationship with Bobby Kotick

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ErrEff posted:

aka why they're "reassessing", which is to say "doing nothing and waiting to see if it blows over in a way where nobody calls for boycotts"

I'd say I'm surprised T-Mobile bailed as fast as they did but the jaded part of me suspects they were just looking for an excuse to and ran with it when one presented itself, and T-Mobile excusing themselves is probably the only reason this is news in the first place, I don't think "OWL sponsors" were on anyone's radar wrt all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

The deep dive on Activision-Blizzard:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1423660406644649985

At this point, very little of it is surprising, but jesus christ.