Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The 4k UHD looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1422563139279892483

The Thing is also up in that same style, but all UK if you're into the other discs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Big Trouble in Little China 4k when

*slams knife and fork on table*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RichterIX posted:

Big Trouble in Little China 4k when

*slams knife and fork on table*

The instant I finally break down and upgrade from my DVD

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Probably right after I get the Shout steelbook someday. I already own the original Blu-ray which looks nice and has plenty of special features, but y’know, poor self control.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea if I got my hands on a copy of The Fog 4k then the only big one that would really be left is Big Trouble in Little China. I certainly wouldn't say no to a Starman or In The Mouth of Madness UHD though.

Kinda annoyed there hasn't been a U.S. release for The Fog yet, I don't really want to spend money on a collectors edition where I won't be able to play any of the supplemental discs.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Iron Crowned posted:

The instant I finally break down and upgrade from my DVD

Do it for us

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
drat I don't want to wait for a US release on that thing collector's box but I do want it in 4k asap. The dilemma...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
You nerds are gonna love this: Universal Monster UHD set announced!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29026

I know they’re not some of the big hits, but it’s great to see! Hopefully it will be great to watch!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Blu-rays honestly look good enough. Maybe I’d grab it if it was still a big upgrade and on sale.

Edit: I saw Dracula in a TCM double feature with the Spanish language version on the big screen several years ago. My Blu-ray looked about as good.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 3, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's at least three other UHD releases I'm already planning to get in October so yea I'm probably gonna hold off and at least read some reviews for the Universal Monsters set. The existing blurays really are excellent.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Kinda weird to not have all of em in there if you're gonna do a 4K set. I have the 30 movie giant fuckoff blu ray collection which yeah, is probably good enough.

On the plus side if you don't have that I bet it goes even deeper on sale this Fall than it did last year which was already like half off or something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's an issue of what the price point would be and how that would effect sales. A 30 disc UHD set would be prohibitively expensive for a lot of people, versus a 4 film set that is much more reasonably priced.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I was looking at Meijer's 4k section the other day and realized the biggest travesty of UHD is that you can't rent a physical copy. For some reason they have Interstellar on the shelf, I bet it looks amazing on disc, but I don't want to own it, perfect case for a rental.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’m really missing out by not having The Mummy’s Curse in 4K, I tell you what.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If they did a volume 2 with Bride of Frankenstein and Creature From the Black Lagoon, I'd buy that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Meanwhile the rights to the Hammer movies are all over the goddamn place and you have to collect that piecemeal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of Hammer, I finally watched The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires with some friends this past weekend and that movie loving rules. Super pumped to see that a Shout blu release exists.

Are there any other Hammer-Shaw Bros coproductions or was this it?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

If they did a volume 2 with Bride of Frankenstein and Creature From the Black Lagoon, I'd buy that.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Scream getting UHD! I think that’s a new announcement. Sorry for being a bit of an RSS feed. Just a big fan of seeing movies hit the format.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scream was announced a while back and yea that's one of the releases I was talking about in October. I'll definitely be picking that one up on day one. There's also the Halloween sequels, The Adams Family, and From Dusk Till Dawn.

The Best Buy steelbook for Scream actually looks pretty good too which is always nice.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I don't guess the Elm St movies will ever get a remaster

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

And ideally the Lagoon sequels to round it out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

I was looking at Meijer's 4k section the other day and realized the biggest travesty of UHD is that you can't rent a physical copy. For some reason they have Interstellar on the shelf, I bet it looks amazing on disc, but I don't want to own it, perfect case for a rental.

Yeah this really bothers me too. There’s a lot of movies I want to watch but not enough to own (a lot of my UHD purchases are already pretty borderline). If only there was a service where you could rent flix from the ‘net…

I should check if my local library has bothered with UHDs. This county is rich enough that they just might have.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I know they’re not some of the big hits, but it’s great to see! Hopefully it will be great to watch!

Not some of the big hits? The Invisible Man and Frankenstein are among the best Universal monster films and the inclusion of the other two can certainly be justified by their historical importance. The only thing I'd criticise about that set is its snubbing of Lon Chaney Sr., who had far more influence on the studio's history than his son.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Origami Dali posted:

I don't guess the Elm St movies will ever get a remaster

It got leaked that shout is doing them. Not sure if they’re 4k or not.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It got leaked that shout is doing them. Not sure if they’re 4k or not.

Shout said that was a false leak.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

You nerds are gonna love this: Universal Monster UHD set announced!

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=29026

While Dracula (and the Spanish version), Frankenstein, and The Invisible Man were from 4K restorations - The Wolf Man re-used the remaster utilized for the anniversary DVD. Worth noting that Universal also restored nearly all the sequels in 4K with the only exceptions from what I can find are Werewolf of London, She-wolf of London, the Creature films (likely because the first two were restored in 3D), and Phantom of the Opera.

Feels like hell is freezing over when 30s Universal horror are getting 4K discs and Paramount is releasing silent films. Now we just need studios to start putting out animation shorts on Blu-ray and Warner to open the vaults on their silents so I can clear out my decades-old wishlists.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Iron Crowned posted:

Strap on some rubber gloves and check your local Redbox.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

Strap on some rubber gloves and check your local Redbox.

I've never seen t a 4k at one of those, and usually the Blu-rays I'd be interested in is out of stock. Plenty of DVD copies and C-grade movies though!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never seen t a 4k at one of those, and usually the Blu-rays I'd be interested in is out of stock. Plenty of DVD copies and C-grade movies though!

If you rent four copies of Breach you can pretend it’s 4K

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I’ve used Redbox to get UHD.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Redbox does to 4k discs but only in select markets.

Redbox posted:

4K UHD discs are currently available at select locations in Austin, Colorado Springs, Des Moines, Detroit, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York City, Reno, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Spokane and Portland, Oregon. We hope to expand to more areas soon, so keep checking back.
There are some mail order services that do 4k discs old school Netflix style, but they were pretty expensive when I last looked into it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Shout said that was a false leak.

They would say that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vudu streams 4K

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/uxrow/4K-UHD/74

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I almost ordered a Vudu 4K a couple weeks ago but hesitated because my internet isn't amazing. Can I, like, force it to buffer for 10 minutes so it's actually decent quality?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

I almost ordered a Vudu 4K a couple weeks ago but hesitated because my internet isn't amazing. Can I, like, force it to buffer for 10 minutes so it's actually decent quality?

From a quick search it sounds like Vudu will let you download rentals but it’s probably highly dependent on the platform & player.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hm, so not on my Roku TV ot Chromecast. Maybe I can do it in browser and just HDMI it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Interstellar is currently at its lowest on Amazon, just shy of $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got that movie for 5 bucks on Black Friday the year after it came out.