Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

I was listening to the latest episode of Ken's podcast Omnibus Project and they were talking about how the next Dalai Lama is picked. There's a regent who oversees the search, and his co-host asked, 'is it ever a situation where the assistant to the Dalai Lama, in the process of searching for the Dalai Lama, discovers it's him?'

To which Ken replied, "you mean like Dick Cheney?" and then after a quick chuckle added, "...or Mike Richards?" and then immediately moved on with the conversation.

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I like him too. His demeanor and delivery are so dry that it was hilarious to see his face light up when he got a Lord of the Rings clue.

Didn't he call Smaug a Hobbit, or am I misremembering another person's answer?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I like him too. His demeanor and delivery are so dry that it was hilarious to see his face light up when he got a Lord of the Rings clue.

His voice and demeanor remind me of Clive Owen, I love it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The conspiracists were right. This blows.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I am going to lose what little sanity I have had since Covid and 2020 happened if this becomes reality.

And they say Mayim was a serious front runner, who would be just as bad.

We can’t have nice things.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i will crow for exactly one post:

i'm so smart.

okay, now back to complaining about what a loving disaster this is

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He's just so milquetoast. Ugh

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mike Richards is third lowest on my list and I might literally stop watching if he becomes the permanent host.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Literally the only good thing that could come from this is if he has to stop being EP because holy poo poo this show has gotten so much worse under him already.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

HookShot posted:

Honestly I'm ready for this season to be loving over. Enough with the guest hosts. It's exhausting, and I hate it.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Mike Richards is the only guest host aside from Dr Oz that would make me stop watching Jeopardy. God drat it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I have a friend whose episode is airing before the season ends and I really want them to spoil Matt’s trajectory for me

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Imagine a world where Ken's podcast friend didn't become Twitter's Main CharacterTM

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Imagine a world where Ken's podcast friend didn't become Twitter's Main CharacterTM

truth is, the game was rigged from the start

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm wondering if they put this out there to test the reaction around it. Hopefully the bad vibes will make people reconsider.

I also wish they didn't waste so much time on non-contenders. Burton and Faber would both be better than the vast majority of the guest hosts, and are apparently non-starters.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm wondering if they put this out there to test the reaction around it. Hopefully the bad vibes will make people reconsider.

I also wish they didn't waste so much time on non-contenders. Burton and Faber would both be better than the vast majority of the guest hosts, and are apparently non-starters.

I hope so, so far I haven’t seen any positive impressions of Mike Richards that wasn’t pushed by some entertainment site fishing for clicks or another. It would absolutely blow if he got the permanent job; agreed that I might stop watching Jeopardy if that were the case.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

oh come the gently caress on.......

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

What in gently caress was the point of the parade of guest hosts if they were going to go with the bland-as-milk executive producer (or whatever his job is supposed to be)? Ken Jennings has an actual personality as well as Jeopardy experience. I just don't get it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
People tuned in for the "competition."

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What in gently caress was the point of the parade of guest hosts if they were going to go with the bland-as-milk executive producer
Plausible deniability? ratings gimmick? we're all dead and this is hell? who can say

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What in gently caress was the point of the parade of guest hosts if they were going to go with the bland-as-milk executive producer (or whatever his job is supposed to be)? Ken Jennings has an actual personality as well as Jeopardy experience. I just don't get it.

Following Buzzerblog, I agree that the whole thing was honestly always a PR move from the start, and that they probably had their actual choice down from the start, someone safe, bland, and not threatening to the demographic of olds. As for Ken Jennings, apparently he already said he didn’t really wanna host which makes sense, especially considering he’s already on two other shows right now

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That seems to make sense. I just hate being jerked around (obviously). It's like applying for a job when you know that the rich owner's failson is already at the top of the heap.

Spokes posted:

this is hell?

I've been fully convinced of that since January 20, 2017.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 5, 2021

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
If you wanna see Mike Richards sink another show, watch his terrible run as the host of Pyramid. It's just dreadful. That's what's coming to Jeopardy!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Let us all pray for Buzzy

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wow, really??

Anne Whateley posted:

Let us all pray for Buzzy

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
God that would be an ignominious end for such a great show. Used for clout by some whitebread social climbing rear end in a top hat. gently caress you, Mike.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
e: one of us misunderstood and I think it was me

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The fact that Mayim Biyalik is also apparently in serious contention is also so horrifying.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Reaction in the Jeopardy Contestant FB group has been mostly negative as well, in addition to the appearance of self dealing.

There was also this, a bunch of “oppo research” on Richards by a former Jeopardy champ:
https://mobile.twitter.com/roeyhadar/status/1423070833162047494

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Really trying to hold out hope that this isn't an official announcement and that with enough negative pushback this won't come to pass. He's the one person who actually had a chance of being picked that I absolutely did not want to get the job. Pretty much every reaction on social media I've seen has been 1/3rd "who?", 1/3rd "Levar!" and 1/3rd "Dick Cheney."

Still laughing that his tenure as a guest host was introduced as basically, "we had someone drop out and have no choice but to put in our executive producer, don't worry we'll get some better guest hosts out there soon!" and then a bunch of baby boomer writers for stuff like the USA Today started coming out with super credible columns saying, "gee whiz, this Mike Richards guy is a pretty good!" so that he could come back and say, "Aw shucks, I'm just a humble executive producer, but if you want me to come back that much I guess I can make the sacrifice!"

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I know in my brain that it's just other people being very different from me and my circle, but I can't help but :tinfoil: that every supportive account that I've seen on Reddit or Twitter has the same bizarre marketing speak about Richards. I've barely seen anyone just say that they liked him or that he was fine like a normal person would. People have asked me about how I've liked the guest hosts. I'd say things like "Ken was fine" or "I was really surprised by Buzzy. I kind of liked his energy and I thought I'd hate him as a host." That's how I see most people talk about the other hosts too.

But for Richards, it's always a paragraph of how he had clear diction, and was a great surprise and a true natural with a welcoming personality and he's just so handsome with great hair and he was their favorite all along. It all feels really seeded and fake and it's loving with me.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 5, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I’m torn between thinking they’re all bot accounts because surely no one is actually that stupid and the realization during 2020/2021 that actually yeah people really are super dumb.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

HookShot posted:

I’m torn between thinking they’re all bot accounts because surely no one is actually that stupid and the realization during 2020/2021 that actually yeah people really are super dumb.

if you look at any local news story or whatever on facebook about it like 70% of the comments are super supportive of richards. i think there's definitely some amount of manufactured support but...it can't be *this* much, right?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

cartoons123 posted:

for Ken Jennings, apparently he already said he didn’t really wanna host which makes sense, especially considering he’s already on two other shows right now

When did that change? Hasn't he been pretty vocal for a while about wanting it? I don't think he really cares about The Chase the way he does Jeopardy

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Spokes posted:

if you look at any local news story or whatever on facebook about it like 70% of the comments are super supportive of richards. i think there's definitely some amount of manufactured support but...it can't be *this* much, right?

I get the same vibes from the comments i've seen.

This is super unrelated to this thread and extremely niche, but I feel the same way about Louis Rossman ('right to repair/apple youtuber'), anytime he's mentioned negatively anywhere like 5-10 people show up defending him and i'm 90% sure it's just Louis in his lounge chair.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/imStephenK/status/1423055344666828801?s=20

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Spokes posted:

I think he's just the most appealing candidate to old people who want a generic cwhite dude for a show host, and it's clear that olds are their target audience. Just look at the commercials they run during Jeopardy and the early-rear end time slot that it sits in. You don't run that kind of stuff unless you just absolutely do not give a single solitary gently caress about the opinion of anybody under 65.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
and if there's one thing old people will stop doing, it's watching Jeopardy.

They're the easiest demographic to keep. They're too set in their ways.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Spokes posted:

He was my Dad's 2nd favorite, after Aaron Rogers, for what it's worth.

I thought he was more or less tolerable as a host but the obviously manufactured nature of his whole bid for the program really pissed me off. "Oh my! a guest host has dropped out! How fortunate that I, the person who schedules the guest slots, just happens to be capable of subbing in."

"Oh, a shot at permanent hosting? Who could have seen that coming? Certainly not me!"

It's loving gaslighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
As executive producer, how much is he involved in the editing?