Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I report every single weirdo HR request as phishing then don't do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
A Covid lockdown saga from 2020.

Health and safety: The quarterly floor health and safety report is due; please inspect your floor to confirm it meets the following criteria.

Floor reps (including me): we are all working from home, what should we do instead?

H&S: complete that floor report.

FR: Okay, but we haven't been on the floor all quarter.

H&S: Someone needs to come in and do it.

FR: You told us we can't come in at this time. Are we allowed to state that?

H&S: if it isn't completed by X date you will be non-compliant.

FR: But we aren't allowed to enter the building see the attached memo from yourselves telling us this. Can you give us special sign-off to come in?

H&S: We can't let you in, only senior leadership can enter the building.

FR: Can our manager complete the report.

H&S: No, it has to be the official representatives.

(at this stage we just escalated to our senior leadership team who called their team and the nonsense was stopped).

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
I run my company's anti-phishing program, and aside from that one time I got our general counsel to click on a phish from Bob Loblaw, Esq., the high point is when I get to yell at HR for their terrible, terrible emails.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ElHuevoGrande posted:

I run my company's anti-phishing program, and aside from that one time I got our general counsel to click on a phish from Bob Loblaw, Esq., the high point is when I get to yell at HR for their terrible, terrible emails.

Thank you for your service

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Monday:
Them: "Hi, does this piece of equipment need a terminal? Please check for us."
Me: "Yes, for reason A and B, so we should get one ordered, just let me know which serial number from the list we gave you that want and I'll send you the corresponding terminal in its box"

Tuesday:
Them: "Hi, can you confirm that this equipment needs a terminal?"
Me: "Yes, but you need to choose a serial number, as we discussed yesterday in this email. Please do so. *attaches previous email*"

Today:
Them: "Here is the list of terminals that we need" (is missing the one we were talking about the past two days)
Me: *Calls their department, no one picks up*
Me: "Uh, hi, just checking in... you never responded to my email yesterday or my phone call earlier today... I still need you to choose a serial from the list for that equipment we've been talking about. As I already shipped everything else for the day, I'm heading back home and it will go out the next time I'm at the office"
Them: "Hi, does this piece of equipment need a terminal? Please check for us."

-fin

Finally my boss stepped in before I could respond and was like "call me and I'll get you a terminal" because I think he could feel the frustration building up in my responses. Like, loving CHRIST man. I don't know what the gently caress you want, I am not prescient or clairvoyant and I can't read minds. Just tell me what you want and I will ship it to you. loving hell.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sounds to me like they didn’t know what they were doing and came to you for your expertise and advice. You don’t need to be psychic to see that they don’t know enough about the subject and that you could have picked a terminal for them.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

after twelve years with my company, my boss's boss's boss helpfully informed me two weeks ago that i would be laid off in august. he said it was because i was switching between too many roles and different product deployments on projects - neither of which i have any control over in the slightest, which he knows - and that my "performance just wasn't up to snuff", despite several years of stellar annual reviews and receiving glowing and thankful emails from high-level executives from a household-name-famous client i'd delivered a project to at 2am the night before literally during the call i was having with him. the truth of the matter is that the entire company has been moving towards a business model that doesn't really require my position, and more than anything i was loving insulted that he tried to push it back on me

two days ago my boss asked me to do a project for another super household name organization and after working with the guy for like five years i can't figure out if he just is totally unaware of the conversations i've had with his boss and his boss's boss or if he's just loving terminally stupid or what, like what possible motivation could i possibly have at this point even if this was a mildly interesting project

bad sugarpop habit fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 5, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Sounds to me like they didn’t know what they were doing and came to you for your expertise and advice. You don’t need to be psychic to see that they don’t know enough about the subject and that you could have picked a terminal for them.

They're already done this same process twice with no issues already so it should be completely easy at this point and they know the conditions for ordering a terminal already.

As far as picking a terminal for them, I can't do that because they're the ones who are keeping track of what terminal they want to put on which piece of equipment on their end and we have no clue which ones they're going to choose to put them on in advance and how many they'll be asking for beforehand, so if I choose one myself, it might be one they already selected for another piece of equipment already or will in the future, for example.

Regardless, it's not about, that, about how they're asking the same question over and over again when it's been answered multiple times and all they have to do is look at their excel sheet for a terminal serial number with a blank space next to it and send me that serial number. Then, when I tell them this and even take the time to try and proactively call them to prevent more back and forth bullshit, they don't respond. It's almost like they're doing it just to waste everyone's time.

I really should have just done nothing and said nothing rather than trying to actually help them after the second time.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

bad sugarpop habit posted:

after twelve years with my company, my boss's boss's boss helpfully informed me two weeks ago that i would be laid off in august. he said it was because i was switching between too many roles and different product deployments on projects - neither of which i have any control over in the slightest, which he knows - and that my "performance just wasn't up to snuff", despite several years of stellar annual reviews and receiving glowing and thankful emails from high-level executives from a household-name-famous client i'd delivered a project to at 2am the night before literally during the call i was having with him. the truth of the matter is that the entire company has been moving towards a business model that doesn't really require my position, and more than anything i was loving insulted that he tried to push it back on me

two days ago my boss asked me to do a project for another super household name organization and after working with the guy for like five years i can't figure out if he just is totally unaware of the conversations i've had with his boss and his boss's boss or if he's just loving terminally stupid or what, like what possible motivation could i possibly have at this point even if this was a mildly interesting project

Last year I found out I was going to be laid off but no one was supposed to know so I had the unenviable task of "working" for over two months knowing that I was going to be let go around the beginning of August. It was mentally one of the most violent acts I've ever had perpetrated against me, I could hardly stand to get out of bed in the morning and got drunk frequently. When they finally did fire us I don't know if I've ever been more relieved.

I've heard that there are people that know they're being laid off officially that keep going to meetings and such, I don't understand why anyone would do that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That sucks. The team that shares my lab has interviewed a nice guy from a different team for a job but over two weeks ago decided not to take him, and hasn't told him yet. So every time he sees me or my teammate he asks if we've heard anything and we can't say anything. As ever, I blame HR (and the manager of that team who had been in for maybe one day in the last two months and basically had a panic attack and had to get an ambulance when her team said they'd be doing no more unpaid overtime).

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Local Weather posted:

Last year I found out I was going to be laid off but no one was supposed to know so I had the unenviable task of "working" for over two months knowing that I was going to be let go around the beginning of August. It was mentally one of the most violent acts I've ever had perpetrated against me, I could hardly stand to get out of bed in the morning and got drunk frequently. When they finally did fire us I don't know if I've ever been more relieved.

I've heard that there are people that know they're being laid off officially that keep going to meetings and such, I don't understand why anyone would do that.

Why did you comply? They either needed you till August or not.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Local Weather posted:

Sounds like they gave you the ultimate peace of mind. You know you're going out, so why bother doing any effort at all. Two whole months of resume polishing right there on a silver platter.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Marmaduke! posted:

these people never have the official company signatures

Why not handle these at the server level?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Marmaduke! posted:

(and the manager of that team who had been in for maybe one day in the last two months and basically had a panic attack and had to get an ambulance when her team said they'd be doing no more unpaid overtime).

lol

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

LRADIKAL posted:

Why did you comply? They either needed you till August or not.

champagne posting posted:

Sounds like they gave you the ultimate peace of mind. You know you're going out, so why bother doing any effort at all. Two whole months of resume polishing right there on a silver platter.

I felt like they were holding a substantial severance pay over my head if I were to just stop doing anything they could have had the case that I was not performing and exclude me from the actual lay-off procedure and just fire me for being a bad worker.

All that being said, I participated minimally and mostly for the benefit of my colleagues rather than management. The way I knew I was being laid off was that I was a part of an employee representative council and I had to make sure that the people being laid off were treated fairly and not screwed over. From the information we were given I was able to glean the identities of most of the people being let go and warn them well ahead of time.

And yeah don't think I wasn't looking for a job immediately when I knew my head was on the block. I even did an interview from the office (it was empty except for me due to COVID).

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Categorized the difficulty of projects as different types of fruit. Lemme 'splain. A project's difficulty was tied to how difficult it is to eat a specific type of fruit. For instance, if a project was deemed easy to complete, it was in the "grape" category. If a project was deemed very difficult, it was in the "coconut" category. So you had people deadass saying on conference calls stuff like "No, I don't have time for any more mangoes. I can only take on a banana or lower." and whatnot.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yes! We have no bananas today.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
IT enabled the "Report Phishing" button in Outlook before the summer holidays with great fanfare. I've already reported four mails from IT and two from HR this week. No other mails have looked even remotely as suspicious.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Local Weather posted:

Last year I found out I was going to be laid off but no one was supposed to know so I had the unenviable task of "working" for over two months knowing that I was going to be let go around the beginning of August.

I mentioned this in the thread a while ago but a whole bunch of people at my old job (including me) were told we were getting laid of in mid January of this year. I was out with the first wave a couple weeks later, but some people weren’t actually done until mid-June. And they couldn’t just find another job and quit early, or slack off and get fired, because there was a surprisingly decent severance package at stake. That sounds awful.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We had Windows updates the other week and the main change I've observed is that it's messed around the buttons on the Word Review tab and made it harder to track changes, but it has added on a new CV button to make it that little bit easier to find a new job. Great work guys, that will be very beneficial for all the guys you've just put onto compulsory overtime who are handing in their notice!

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is there a polite way to tell headhunters to gently caress off? I have the same woman contacting me about a payroll position at the call center I left 5 years ago. Everytime she does I have nightmares of this company buying my current employer out and forcing me to work in the call center because of restructuring. I also get the panic attacks due to the mental and physical abuse of supervisors and managers.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I know this is the dumb poo poo thread but it's so refreshing to go into a new company that does Agile and have stand ups that actually last 10 minutes, everyone is super concise about what they're working on and there's an understanding that anything that needs to be discussed in greater detail will be picked up after. The backlog is somewhat orderly (we also hired a Product Owner at the same time as me who needs to sort it out a bit) and there's a good flow of work.

I'm sure at some point the penny will drop and I'll find out the weird poo poo they do (like the massive spreadsheet report I need to fill out - but that's getting replaced soon) but christ this is a nice feeling compared to the last shitshow I worked at.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Local Weather posted:

I even did an interview from the office

That's quite the power move.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

lol if you dont reserve a conference room at the company you work at, for your prospective remote interviews

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

vyst posted:

lol if you dont reserve a conference room at the company you work at, for your prospective remote interviews

Label them as such on the public calendar.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Manager: we've heard your concerns about being critically understaffed and are moving full speed ahead on hiring another person

Me: oh good

(six months later)

Manager: so anyway I filled out the wrong comment field on the headcount request so it got bounced back

Me: oh ok, but you fixed and resubmitted it, right?

Manager: ...have you met the newest additions to the mindfulness team?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Mindful deeznuts

Wutang!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Marmaduke! posted:

We had Windows updates the other week and the main change I've observed is that it's messed around the buttons on the Word Review tab and made it harder to track changes, but it has added on a new CV button to make it that little bit easier to find a new job. Great work guys, that will be very beneficial for all the guys you've just put onto compulsory overtime who are handing in their notice!

Have they locked down the ribbon? I have heard of places doing that and would probably shank a fucker.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The Teams built in Word app is all you need

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

vyst posted:

And print off the job offer forms at work and scan them in there to send to your new company.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I received an offer for an internal promotion. Great news, right? It absolutely is! Only I can't sign any of the offer documentation because they sent it via Adobe Sign and apparently I don't have access to Adobe sign. I called IT, and it took 20 minutes to for them to figure this out. They gave me a form to request access, which may take up to seven(!) Business days to fulfill. :doh:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I received an offer for an internal promotion. Great news, right? It absolutely is! Only I can't sign any of the offer documentation because they sent it via Adobe Sign and apparently I don't have access to Adobe sign. I called IT, and it took 20 minutes to for them to figure this out. They gave me a form to request access, which may take up to seven(!) Business days to fulfill. :doh:

If your able to email it, send it to your phone or personal computer and sign it there

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Or print it as a PDF. Or screenshot each page and connect it then make a PDF again and sign it. So many options.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Oh my loving GOD

New hire to the team decided to suggest to our boss a "Me Minute" segment for our weekly staff minute where each week someone rotates and says things about who they are outside of work. Fuuuuuuuck, kid.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh my loving GOD

New hire to the team decided to suggest to our boss a "Me Minute" segment for our weekly staff minute where each week someone rotates and says things about who they are outside of work. Fuuuuuuuck, kid.

Drag that nerd into the parking lot and beat him with a sock full of quarters.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Or print it as a PDF. Or screenshot each page and connect it then make a PDF again and sign it. So many options.

Oh, absolutely- except it's company policy that it must be signed through Adobe eSign and no other options will be accepted AND it can only be sent to my company email as the sole "authorized signer"

I wouldn't have posted it here if it wasn't especially stupid and awkward. Also in the words of my sister: "I'm looking for sympathy, not a solution"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Coworker during staff meeting: "I saw they sent an e-mail saying masks are mandatory again in the office. I can't wear a mask all the time because I wear glasses and they get all foggy."

lmfao, these loving people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh my loving GOD

Oh man that's bad. I swear I'm not a total misanthrope and have befriended and hung out with some coworkers in the past, but crap like this goes from "fun teambuilding" to "do it or you're being insubordinate and maybe you'll lose your income and health insurance if Hyrax doesn't share what he's grateful for four times a week."