Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Cross post from other thread

https://streamable.com/v49jwh

Very worth the listen

lol holy poo poo what a loving idiot

get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

remigious posted:

I know intellectually that this is the right call, I just haven’t seen my mom for two years and she’s never met the baby. I am worried that she would be crushed if we canceled :( I just went through a huge ordeal convincing her to get the vaccine too.

Get your mom to visit you and have her wear a respirator from entering the airport to getting in the car to visit you.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Castaign posted:

wth is an "Eurkel"?

The European Urkel

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Castaign posted:

wth is an "Eurkel"?

Cletus

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Very worth the listen

Medical tyranny lol

If I was a doctor and I'd spent 10 years studying how to heal people, and then got people like this, after the crisis of 2020... I wonder if I'd be looking for another career, or having some mental breakdown, or what

edit: I listened to the whole thing and it's worth it

edit 2: AAPS IS TRASH

edit 3: Also uhh I guess bee propolis helps? I'm really tired to read this whole study but here it is anyway

https://www.mdpi.com/2304-8158/10/8/1776

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 5, 2021

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Apparently some Canadians are attempting to travel abroad and have been turned down because their destination country doesn't recognize Covishield and/or vaccine mixing lol

The article I saw interviewed a lady who had wasted thousands cancelling a trip for 40 people to Croatia.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Very worth the listen

Security should've frog-walked that idiot out of the building.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

remigious posted:

I know this is gbs, but I’m feeling overwhelmed by conflicting information and I know goons will give me the straight poop. I’m flying with my 7 month old next month and I’m feeling very nervous about the flight. I can’t really protect him. Should I cancel the flight and drive instead, or am I being paranoid?
If you have the option, drive

Edit: I just did a 2 week road trip with my mom for her stupid dog shows. We stayed at various motels. Asked for first floor. If your room has its own ac unit, good. If it's central air then you have to shut it off and leave for a few hours and then leave it off the whole time you are there. I wiped stuff down.

It sucked but we didn't catch anything. This is all way safer than a flight.

It's a hassle but worth it imo.

Spinz fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 5, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Spinz posted:

If you have the option, drive

Edit: I just did a 2 week road trip with my mom for her stupid dog shows. We stayed at various motels. Asked for first floor. If your room has its own ac unit, good. If it's central air then you have to shut it off and leave for a few hours and then leave it off the whole time you are there. I wiped stuff down.

It sucked but we didn't catch anything. This is all way safer than a flight.

It's a hassle but worth it imo.

You could probably plan out only locations with individual units by emailing or calling and asking. As long as it's not the bumest of bumfuck nowhere you'd almost certainly be fine.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
What could have been a 2 year problem has now become a decade long problem. Thanks.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF_CdEFLAXw

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Defenistrator posted:

What could have been a 2 year problem has now become a decade long problem. Thanks.

Yeah it's hilarious

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Wow, the awful app got a fancy update as I was writing my previous reply!
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, we’ve decided to drive and make a fun adventure out of it.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I finally broke down and added goggles to my half-face respirator getup while in (a very crowded) Target today. Turns out that people give you a significantly wider berth than usual when you look like a total weirdo. OK with me :thumbsup:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Very worth the listen

Good, he can eat a dick

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

You could probably plan out only locations with individual units by emailing or calling and asking. As long as it's not the bumest of bumfuck nowhere you'd almost certainly be fine.

i did a huge drive in may and slept in my car. the midwest in america is an absurdly big place. you can drive for 20 hours straight in a solid direction and still be in the midwest.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Defenistrator posted:

Two month problem. Life in several countries particularly China has been basically back to normal for over a year, barring repeated reintroduction of lockdowns and restrictions because the virus keeps leaking in from the rest of the world which decided that killing millions and saddling the human race with an ineradicable virus was not as important as going out for dinner on the reg.

We are absolutely going to cook this planet to a loving cinder. I have lost any remaining shreds of hope I had about this species tackling climate change.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Defenistrator posted:

2 years? It could have been a 2 month problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

remigious posted:

I know this is gbs, but I’m feeling overwhelmed by conflicting information and I know goons will give me the straight poop. I’m flying with my 7 month old next month and I’m feeling very nervous about the flight. I can’t really protect him. Should I cancel the flight and drive instead, or am I being paranoid?

I felt pretty nervous flying with a 6 month old 2 months ago, and that was when case rates were pretty low. I don't know how I'd feel flying now or a month from now, mid-wave

Personally, I wouldn't fly with a baby right now

remigious posted:

I know intellectually that this is the right call, I just haven’t seen my mom for two years and she’s never met the baby. I am worried that she would be crushed if we canceled :( I just went through a huge ordeal convincing her to get the vaccine too.

e: Oh, yeah, my parents haven't met our baby either. And they're not going to anytime soon.

Sorry about your mom

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

your kids health is more important than ur moms feelings

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cancel that poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Picnic Princess posted:

Apparently some Canadians are attempting to travel abroad and have been turned down because their destination country doesn't recognize Covishield and/or vaccine mixing lol

The article I saw interviewed a lady who had wasted thousands cancelling a trip for 40 people to Croatia.

Supposed to fly into Canada in September. Hoping it'll be alright then. Have numbers been spiking in ontario/quebec?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i did a huge drive in may and slept in my car. the midwest in america is an absurdly big place. you can drive for 20 hours straight in a solid direction and still be in the midwest.

I mean yeah, but what I mean is that most drives across the Midwest can be planned in such a way that you hit like a large enough place to have options every 5 to 10 hours. It gets dicier in even less dense areas like Wyoming.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Medical tyranny lol

If I was a doctor and I'd spent 10 years studying how to heal people, and then got people like this, after the crisis of 2020... I wonder if I'd be looking for another career, or having some mental breakdown, or what

edit: I listened to the whole thing and it's worth it

edit 2: Unrelated but this seems useful to have:
https://aapsonline.org/patient-booklet-download-page/

https://aapsonline.org/CovidPatientTreatmentGuide.pdf

"These medicines stop the virus from (1) entering the cells and (2) from multiplying once
inside the cells, and they reduce bacterial invasion in the sinuses and lung:
*Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) with azithromycin (AZM) or doxycycline
OR
Ivermectin with azithromycin (AZM) "

I don't think those books are in fact, useful to have.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If anyone isn't familiar with AAPS, they are basically a right wing conservative lobby masquerading as a medical professional association. Prior to covid the only times I'd ever heard of them was when they'd be trotted out to pretend there was some kind of professional consensus among doctors was that anything other than fully privatized healthcare with privatized insurance would totally ruin medicine in America.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Still blows my mind that people were using pool cleaners and are now using an anti-parasite medication for horses to "treat" or "prevent" covid.

All of that's totally fine but a vaccine is too risky for them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've been doing some experiments in my sink home lab and i've discovered that a simple combination of mouse poison, bleach and paint is quite effective at killing covid cells. or at least that's what it looks like when i squint. anyways, i'm going to try injecting these into my brain and will update with results. anything to free myself from the tyranny of... vaccines... which my medical sources are telling me actually caused polio in the first place!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

wilderthanmild posted:

If anyone isn't familiar with AAPS, they are basically a right wing conservative lobby masquerading as a medical professional association. Prior to covid the only times I'd ever heard of them was when they'd be trotted out to pretend there was some kind of professional consensus among doctors was that anything other than fully privatized healthcare with privatized insurance would totally ruin medicine in America.

This sucks because by giving the appearance of alternative experts, they capture people who actually do care what doctors think about things, they just listen to the wrong doctors. My mother in law who won't get vaccinated constantly has spurious articles from 'professionals', it'd almost be better if they were just as skeptical towards everything, not just mainstream consensus. Or if not better, at least less aggravating and intellectually inconsistent.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Supposed to fly into Canada in September. Hoping it'll be alright then. Have numbers been spiking in ontario/quebec?

no. covid numbers have been very low and vaccine uptake is very high compared to america. would always like it to be higher (90%+ rather than ~80%), but as usual with canada, i find it hard to complain about our problems when comparing to the rest of the world.

no guarantees about the future tho lol, we thought we had it pretty well whipped last august too. that was pre-vaccine tbf

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

"These medicines stop the virus from (1) entering the cells and (2) from multiplying once
inside the cells, and they reduce bacterial invasion in the sinuses and lung:
*Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) with azithromycin (AZM) or doxycycline
OR
Ivermectin with azithromycin (AZM) "

I don't think those books are in fact, useful to have.

Ever read up on who should hesitate to take HCQ? Because, to my layman's eyes, the list for "HCQ is a riskier medication for you" looks an awful lot like the list for "COVID is more dangerous to you". I'm pretty sure I saw that the VA discontinued testing of HCQ as a treatment for COVID because they observed a 30% increase of fatality of patients.

Oh also my cousin's got lupus. So, y'know, gently caress these vultures encouraging idiots to take up the supply of one of the few medications that remotely helps people with that awful condition.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

no. covid numbers have been very low and vaccine uptake is very high compared to america. would always like it to be higher (90%+ rather than ~80%), but as usual with canada, i find it hard to complain about our problems when comparing to the rest of the world.

no guarantees about the future tho lol, we thought we had it pretty well whipped last august too. that was pre-vaccine tbf

For what it's worth, most of the northern US isn't experiencing much of a Delta wave, yet. It's basically spreading upwards from the deep south. It will probably find it harder to cross the border into Canada though.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I was about to bring up last August. We had fairly low numbers last August, some of them even rivaling our current numbers post-vaccination. Of course, after summer last year, things started to barrel downwards pretty badly so having vaccines this time around should hopefully stop those high numbers from ever reoccurring.

key word being should.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Quebec's numbers are up 250% in 2 weeks.

But its relative to the shitshow in the USA.

The 4th wave is coming, but it's 2-3 weeks behind the states, and even at it's worst will be better than the states, but in no way is it "under control."

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

wilderthanmild posted:

For what it's worth, most of the northern US isn't experiencing much of a Delta wave, yet. It's basically spreading upwards from the deep south. It will probably find it harder to cross the border into Canada though.

The majority of our cases are already estimated to be Delta, it's not a case of it waiting for it to cross the border, we're already dealing with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you're in the US, it's kinda fun to look at your counties vaccination records and compare them to the 2020 election results. It's so close for here it's hilarious, I guess whatever Trumpers who realise they're being duped and Dems who are stuck in a hippy mindset (or genuinely have health issues that restrict their use) just flat out cancel each other out.

Broward County, FL:
At least one vaccination - 63.2%
Voted for Biden - 64.48%

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you're in the US, it's kinda fun to look at your counties vaccination records and compare them to the 2020 election results. It's so close for here it's hilarious, I guess whatever Trumpers who realise they're being duped and Dems who are stuck in a hippy mindset (or genuinely have health issues that restrict their use) just flat out cancel each other out.

Broward County, FL:
Voted for Biden - 64.48%

Fairfax County, VA:
At least one vaccination (over 18) - 76.3%
Voted for Biden - 70.4%

(Pretty much every Republican in Fairfax is a rich consultant living in a mansion in McLean, so I imagine they're getting vaccinated at a higher rate than the average Trump voter.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 5, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Very worth the listen

"I don't pose any risk of infecting anyone with anything and also my lungs are full of deadly bacteria with pose a health risk if I inhale them again."

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

wilderthanmild posted:

Whoa, I totally fell for it, I’ll remove that link

To be fair I was super tired yesterday

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

edit 2: AAPS IS TRASH

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Broward County, FL:
Voted for Biden - 64.48%

yeah i've noticed a lot of people who now call themselves :airquote: independents :airquote: love to hand wring about how both sides are responsible for this antivax bullshit and yet these numbers are always so reliably predictable