Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Although I've had it unlocked for a while, did my first run with the secret aspect of the bow after reading more about it in this thread. I got boon after boon of useful stuff but was also playing rather carelessly and only got to Hades with the skull earing left of my DD's. Managed to scrape by hammering him with the special and using triple dash to evade him.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All of them have specific conditions that need to be met before you can give them Ambrosia. They vary between characters. For Aphrodite, you have to romance all the romanceable characters.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Re: EM2, I find it easier because the heads stack up so much more. With a good DPS build it goes by incredibly quickly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got the railgun secret aspect and I’m struggling to figure out how to effectively use the special.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All of them have specific conditions that need to be met before you can give them Ambrosia. They vary between characters. For Aphrodite, you have to romance all the romanceable characters.

Pretty sure it's just 1 that is necessary

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Technically speaking you need to max your favor with them, you don't have to actually accept the romantic relationship.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I got the railgun secret aspect and I’m struggling to figure out how to effectively use the special.

There's a hammer that takes away the beams reload, but if you don't get that, the beam isn't great great.

The special is where it's at, they damage passively and will explode if damaged by anything. So it's about laying traps and having them going off all together, as if they were mines.

Importantly, you can only have 3 mines out at a time. If you launch a fourth, the first explodes. You can see how you can use this to cause chain explosions. It's a cool special but it's not run and gun.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's a hammer that takes away the beams reload, but if you don't get that, the beam isn't great great.

The special is where it's at, they damage passively and will explode if damaged by anything. So it's about laying traps and having them going off all together, as if they were mines.

Importantly, you can only have 3 mines out at a time. If you launch a fourth, the first explodes. You can see how you can use this to cause chain explosions. It's a cool special but it's not run and gun.

The hammer that takes away the reload stops the damage ramping though so it's got quite a downside too, especially in Elysium and against the final boss.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

The hammer that takes away the reload stops the damage ramping though so it's got quite a downside too, especially in Elysium and against the final boss.

That's brutal. I would expect it to ramp up to the normal level and then stop, not stop altogether. I've only tried that aspect twice and never got that hammer.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Well I finished my run successfully. I leaned into attack hard with hammers that increased attack speed and made ramp up faster + longer beam. Upon returning to the armory after the run I realized why I was struggling so much with the special - I forgot to upgrade the aspect so I was firing 50 damage specials. Whoops!!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there anything like a practice mode?

I'm slow to learn new fights and nearly always choke at the end. And Charon.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

moths posted:

Is there anything like a practice mode?

I'm slow to learn new fights and nearly always choke at the end. And Charon.

Turn on God Mode

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
How does the sword’s aspect of Poseidon (special dislodges cast crystal from foes) work with the mirror upgrade that makes the cast crystal regen?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

How does the sword’s aspect of Poseidon (special dislodges cast crystal from foes) work with the mirror upgrade that makes the cast crystal regen?

Poorly. The shards are removed from the enemy but you don't regenerate faster or anything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Turn on God Mode

Oh jeez.

Thanks

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Poorly. The shards are removed from the enemy but you don't regenerate faster or anything.

To be fair you can always go with an Artemis build and still get +50% cast strength out of it while exploiting Exit Wounds but yeah, it’s really something you’re meant to go ham with Poseidon/Athena/Aphrodite(lol) casts. Probably Poseidon with Tempest Flourish cause, you know.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I got rapid fire + 200% damage to nearby enemies + 7% crit chance using Hera’s bow and beat Hades in like 90 seconds staying closer to him than I do with melee weapons, it was insane

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Re: EM2, I find it easier because the heads stack up so much more. With a good DPS build it goes by incredibly quickly.

Same here. I guess we're in the minority. I find em2 lernie to be my easiest non normal enemy. I usually take less of a beating there than with any of the minibosses. I look for the safe place to dash to, then pick a target. Heads and minions everywhere, always something to hit.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
EM2 Lernie generally gets mulched super hard because the fight ends so much faster by him turning into a giant “HIT ME WITH CROWD CONTROL, ANY CROWD CONTROL” but really base Lernie is just the easiest boss fight in the game because he’s not nearly aggressive enough so even an actual dangerous version that isn’t an overhaul like EM3/4 can only do so much.

poo poo, I think I inwardly cringe more at having to fight Wretched Sneak than base Lernie. Kinda hate Wretched Sneak actually, he only does chip damage but he’s so annoying.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I always assumed Lernie was a girl

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I always assumed the same.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i spent one million nectar and darkness to reunite u with ur parent n u fire my friend.. i hate u mom

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Do you get more fountains when you're struggling or is that in my imagination?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I thought it tagged enemies with Shared Suffering the first time you hit them with the special, and then every subsequent time you fire the special the tagged enemies also get hit for a portion of the special damage you deal? I looked it up again, does Shared Suffering just deal damage to tagged enemies when you use the regular attack? Or does it trigger on the attack and the special?

I'll be honest, I've just been stacking special attack bonuses with it and using it as a Zeus lighting hose. Even in my ignorance, it was working fine lol.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

indigi posted:

I always assumed Lernie was a girl

Now far be it from me, not being a necro-biologist, to make assumptions about the reproductive habits of undead snakes, but since Lernie does seem to lay eggs we should be able to conclude she is/was female. Even if those eggs do hatch into humanoid zombies?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Red Bones posted:

I thought it tagged enemies with Shared Suffering the first time you hit them with the special, and then every subsequent time you fire the special the tagged enemies also get hit for a portion of the special damage you deal? I looked it up again, does Shared Suffering just deal damage to tagged enemies when you use the regular attack? Or does it trigger on the attack and the special?

I'll be honest, I've just been stacking special attack bonuses with it and using it as a Zeus lighting hose. Even in my ignorance, it was working fine lol.

Shared suffering only applies to attack, not special, yes.

GaiaShell
Mar 11, 2002

Mescal posted:

Do you get more fountains when you're struggling or is that in my imagination?

I've noticed that I tend to get fountains if I take the 2nd option in a room where Charon's shop is available (a shop that's not the room before the boss anyway). Don't take my word for it though, I'm speculating.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

indigi posted:

i spent one million nectar and darkness to reunite u with ur parent n u fire my friend.. i hate u mom

Keep going with the story bro.

also I love Dusa but she needs to chill, it was harsh but she kinda deserved to be fired for overworking herself despite being warned dozens of times not to do just that.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chaos has started doing light color commentary on my runs, this is weird but I like it

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

indigi posted:

Chaos has started doing light color commentary on my runs, this is weird but I like it

Have you beaten the game with the Chaos trinket? It's a tiny thing voice clip but I love it so much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Artelier posted:

Have you beaten the game with the Chaos trinket? It's a tiny thing voice clip but I love it so much.

yeah as soon as they suggested it I equipped it for my next (couple) Hades fights

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A handy little graphic for unlocking aspects.

https://xd.adobe.com/view/b90bd0e4-4ae8-400b-709d-3305de01e6b3-cf3a/?fullscreen

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ooooh Aspect of Gilgamesh is preeeeetty sweet. Slower, bigger punches are a really cool change of pace!

Not really feeling Guan Ya though. I struggle to be effective with the charge attack. The attack is slow to do, it refers very little HP, yet decreases your total health significantly. I’m not really seeing any benefit to this aspect.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
No one ever at any point feels Guan Yu, the common consensus even like eight months later is that it’s the only Just Plain Bad aspect in the game and the devs have and continue to massively overrate healing on demand, cause poo poo, even with like -25/20/15/10/5% HP it would be on par with the other hidden aspects.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Meanwhile Arthur gives you a HP buff, a circle that reduces damage, and big meaty hits that you can dash combo.

E: Big meaty *long range, wide sweeping* hits that you can dash combo

Dyz fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 6, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m very excited for Excalibur.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s so good. Just remember though, the game never tells you but you can “dodge offset” sword attacks by alternating attacks and dashes to finish your three hit combo. It’s kind of important for Excalibur cause you’ll eat poo poo if you try to launch a slow three hit combo but dunk on everything if you just dash - attack - dash - attack. Preferably with Demeter, but really anything works cause it’s Excalibur, probably even Zeus.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh my god I hadn’t realized dodge offset is in this game.

80 hours in.

That stuff was fun in Bayonetta! :getin:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think it's only sword, most other weapons wouldn't need it anyways because their attack string deals constant damage per hit or close enough.
It'd be actively detrimental on fists because their attack string has a forced ~0.5s wait at the end.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The beam is p good but you have to get good at dashing around to dodge while maintaining the beam to get the ramping damage, which can be awkward at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Wildtortilla posted:

Ooooh Aspect of Gilgamesh is preeeeetty sweet. Slower, bigger punches are a really cool change of pace!

Don't forget triple dash.