Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

JethroMcB posted:

Man, I have really come to love Oaky Doaks. For being a pre-war strip, it just seems so...contemporary. The writing is straightforward and the art is clean, but neatly detailed.
It's very very good, and I especially like this strip and Mr. Doaks not recognizing the king at his table with his crown on. I'd never heard of it before, either, and really wonder why.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: social outcasts (November 4-10, 2002)

This tracks with what we'll find out later about rabbit society. I'll talk about that when the time comes.

Modern Kevin & Kell

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Imagine being outraged by the thought of a young man getting a tattoo in the year 2021.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stepdad / step-ladder. It's almost a joke. :effort:

I don't even know where to start with this. Where did the cartoonist start? It had to be with "Louis is almost the same as Louise", right? But they realised that that wasn't a joke, so there had to be more to it. So what if it's a "Lewis and Clark" reference? Wrong spelling, but maybe there's a joke there? Not yet. How about if Clark is married, and his wife thinks he's cheating on her with Louise (Lewis)? Because she found a receipt in his pocket for a gift he bought for Louise? And then he figure out how to convey all that - giant word balloon - and I guess by that time he'd spent too much time thinking about it so he wasn't going to throw it out and come up with a different idea (even though it's still not actually a joke) so he just drew it and called it a day.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks (February 20, 1936)

Those Were the Days (August 19, 1953)

I love the guy in Oaky Doaks trash talking the king without noticing the crown.

I hate that Art Beeman gets really salty when he can't draw cheesecake.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know where to start with this. Where did the cartoonist start? It had to be with "Louis is almost the same as Louise", right? But they realised that that wasn't a joke, so there had to be more to it. So what if it's a "Lewis and Clark" reference? Wrong spelling, but maybe there's a joke there? Not yet. How about if Clark is married, and his wife thinks he's cheating on her with Louise (Lewis)? Because she found a receipt in his pocket for a gift he bought for Louise? And then he figure out how to convey all that - giant word balloon - and I guess by that time he'd spent too much time thinking about it so he wasn't going to throw it out and come up with a different idea (even though it's still not actually a joke) so he just drew it and called it a day.

It's just swapping out a male Lewis for a (stereotypical) female Louise, doing a stereotypical wife thing. The guide they're referring to is Pocahontas.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/4/01

Brenda Starr 12/26-28/46

Tradition has it that if you sleep with a slice of wedding cake under your pillow, you'll dream of your future spouse.

Hey, that's a pretty racy first panel for almost-1947.

Smokey Stover 8/23/42

As always, Holman is shameless about recycling gags.

Richard's Poor Almanac

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 20, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 20, 1999)

Garfield Classic (November 20, 1989)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Forum accident posted:

It's just swapping out a male Lewis for a (stereotypical) female Louise, doing a stereotypical wife thing. The guide they're referring to is Pocahontas.

Sacagawea. Pocahontas lived two centuries earlier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 12/26-28/46
Once again, Messick has forgotten about Everett Diggin.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Poor Colm. :(

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 04, 1946)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Medenmath posted:

Poor Colm. :(

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 04, 1946)

lmao

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Val, you just crippled half of them in some friendly wrestling.

I guess he's going to have them raid the supplies, but still. Bowmen with dislocated shoulders don't fight good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Judge Parker (March 2020)

Toni Bowen is a journalist whose career was derailed by her association with Randy Parker. We didn't see it at the time, but it was she who reported on Alan's mayoral campaign and brought up his shady past.

Somehow (it's glossed over via time skip) Sophie convinces Toni to run for mayor and Honey to work on her campaign. So far it's just the three of them.

But at least the barn renovations are finished.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

The girl rules and I hope she gets away w/ it. Also check out Billingsly having fun drawing her eyes in panel 2 and 3.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Squishy posted:

The girl rules and I hope she gets away w/ it. Also check out Billingsly having fun drawing her eyes in panel 2 and 3.

it's some of his best work imo

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker (March 2020)

Toni Bowen is a journalist whose career was derailed by her association with Randy Parker. We didn't see it at the time, but it was she who reported on Alan's mayoral campaign and brought up his shady past.

Somehow (it's glossed over via time skip) Sophie convinces Toni to run for mayor and Honey to work on her campaign. So far it's just the three of them.

But at least the barn renovations are finished.

Judge Parker is way more intense and dramatic than I remembered! Still confusing, but it’s great to have this catch-up. Thanks Tiggum!

Classic Zits

Sylvia

:lol:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Weird kink but OK.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "172 - Jucika Loves Beer"

"173 - Jucika And The Motorist"

This guy has the right idea. Quit your job, marry Jucika!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Judge Parker is way more intense and dramatic than I remembered! Still confusing, but it’s great to have this catch-up.
The excitement and confusion are probably both enhanced by the fact that I'm only posting highlights. If you read it daily, it goes into more detail and everything takes a lot longer. Glad someone appreciates it though. :)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Tiggum posted:

The excitement and confusion are probably both enhanced by the fact that I'm only posting highlights. If you read it daily, it goes into more detail and everything takes a lot longer. Glad someone appreciates it though. :)

I'm really happy to see Judge Parker back in a way that gets me caught up without having to read a million :words: so I also appreciate the effort!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The limits of the art of painting (1935/06)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Not often that you see the "standing forward swinging neckbreaker" in wrestling

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Hugh: My men aren't doing well
Val: *Our men

The only adventure Val didn't wind up with at least one new servant, lieutenant, or wife was the torture dungeon. And that's just because the rats weren't technically recruitable.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I can't find a single thing about "Married Comrades" but if daily comics count, there are strips being posted that have beaten that record five times over.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ripley just traced a photo of Frank Carretta.
https://www.atticpaper.com/proddetail.php?prod=frank-carretta-carousel-horse-carver-1931-article&cat=12

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The MiniSec Ecocide Museum

2007, in which Bananabelle continues to use ideology to psychologically break Kranti down. You know, the way best friends do. (August 20-24)

Oh, that's right, we were doing the Pigtails AU earlier.

2010, in which WE'RE ON THE...um...run. (September 20-24)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 5, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (November 25, 1995)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (November 25, 1995)

Motorcycle Viking is interesting

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
And then they made a movie, and it was basically this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse gently caress this

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack