Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The Daily Life of a Certain Chupacabra Hunter page 1

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

The daily life of a demon hunter, page 1

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just seeing some swamp :gas:

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

If you ever think you start seeing ghosts, you should buy a security camera and a carbon monoxide detector. Guarantee that one of those will solve the problem

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lodin posted:

They're all gonna get scolded for spending so much time on that lovely bug.

This is a game that has been pushed back. Right now the studio is in desperate crunch and a miniscule animation error that hardly anyone will see is what they focus on?

Yeah as mentioned, this resulted in a game freeze / hard lock, which is a showstopper. There's maybe an argument to be made that the repro steps make it such an edge case that it should be a B bug rather than an A bug, but that's a tough sell.

When developers want to get their games on a Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft console, they need to pass certification. The price varies depending on the company you're submitting it to, but it's often several thousand dollars just to submit it. Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft then have their own internal certification QA team, and if THEY find even a single freeze or crash, they can fail your cert and the money is wasted - not to mention the man hours wasted waiting to hear back about cert (which can take several days of not a week+ if it's a busy season such as the holidays). This is actually one of the major ways console manufacturers make money, as most games will submit and fail cert 3-4 times at least. I've never worked directly with cert QA, but I've heard they are encouraged to really dig deep to find a reason to fail cert - both to ensure released games are stable, but also so that the manufacturer can get more cert payments. Of course this could just be unfounded rumors from frustrated QA teams that are tired of getting cert builds kicked back over and over.

I've made fun of the comic for spending so much time on a minor visual bug, but this is good testing and in-universe it's really only been a minute or two. If they had spent several hours trying to research this it'd maybe be questionable, but this is fine.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 2, 2021

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

When developers want to get their games on a Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft console, they need to pass certification.

This is something that's less plainly visible on the consumer side of things, but it's part of why what seems like a quick slam-dunk port from platform A to platform B could actually be a sizable expense for a company, especially when developer time is factored in following rounds of feedback.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah as mentioned, this resulted in a game freeze / hard lock, which is a showstopper. There's maybe an argument to be made that the repro steps make it such an edge case that it should be a B bug rather than an A bug, but that's a tough sell.

When developers want to get their games on a Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft console, they need to pass certification. The price varies depending on the company you're submitting it to, but it's often several thousand dollars just to submit it. Sony / Nintendo / Microsoft then have their own internal certification QA team, and if THEY find even a single freeze or crash, they can fail your cert and the money is wasted - not to mention the man hours wasted waiting to hear back about cert (which can take several days of not a week+ if it's a busy season such as the holidays). This is actually one of the major ways console manufacturers make money, as most games will submit and fail cert 3-4 times at least. I've never worked directly with cert QA, but I've heard they are encouraged to really dig deep to find a reason to fail cert - both to ensure released games are stable, but also so that the manufacturer can get more cert payments. Of course this could just be unfounded rumors from frustrated QA teams that are tired of getting cert builds kicked back over and over.

I've made fun of the comic for spending so much time on a minor visual bug, but this is good testing and in-universe it's really only been a minute or two. If they had spent several hours trying to research this it'd maybe be questionable, but this is fine.

Yeah, obviously I'm in the mindset of a Cyberpunk being accepted these days.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Lodin posted:

Yeah, obviously I'm in the mindset of a Cyberpunk being accepted these days.

Or Subnautica, which managed to have major savegame bugs on switch when playing in Japanese only

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Vaporware posted:

Or Subnautica, which managed to have major savegame bugs on switch when playing in Japanese only

This is actually a great example of something that seems like it should be an obvious bug, but can actually be surprisingly hard to catch for QA teams due to their testing being very focused.

First off, most testers actually don't bother saving / loading all that often. After all, rarely do testers actually PLAY the game the way players will, so they rarely save / load in the same ways that players do. Most games will have debug tools to allow testers to jump to specific points in the game for testing. When those are absent, testers WILL often use shared save files to reach specific points, but that's often just a means to get to a specific location and after being loaded once won't often do lots of saving / loading. Of course, testers WILL test save/load, but that tends to have a heavier focus on ensuring save / load works properly and restores functionality properly, it's way more focused than a real player would do and thus can miss some edge cases even with a very clever tester.

Same with language testing - this tends to only be done by localization QA, which tends to focus on accuracy of the translation, visuals of the text, etc. It's fairly rare for a language change to cause significant problems beyond those, so there's not much time devoted to finding that kind of thing.

So you have a situation where testing save / load functionality in a realistic setting isn't often done, and where testing language's impact on gameplay functionality isn't done often, and where combining them is even more rare. It's very easy for something like this to slip through the cracks, even though it seems like it should be an easy catch.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This still being the criminal timeline doesn't bode well for our plucky teens here

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Yoriko sure points a lot.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Aino Minako posted:

Good point.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Lol they did end up playing Othello

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Aino Minako posted:

The Daily Life of A Certain Schizophrenic

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Pretty sure that's the correct term. If not, I'll mark it as "Will Fix".

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

yeah "won't fix" is the correct term

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Man I wish I could get a domino mask that says "Important Person".

Unfortunately I can't for one specific reason

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Space Kablooey posted:

yeah "won't fix" is the correct term

Or the real bastard companies like Bethesda that use the term "working as intended."

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

projecthalaxy posted:

Man I wish I could get a domino mask that says "Important Person".

Unfortunately I can't for one specific reason

Fortunately that appears to just be a piece of paper that says "Important Person", taped to his face, and not something so sophisticated as a domino mask.

I say, tape away, fake it until you make it and all that!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Neet trying to learn what he can from Amanuma, yet he's pulling drinks out of his own thought bubble.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Badsball 2K9 was the last good Badsball game, don't @ me.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gjfZABX8Kw

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Oh oh is Amanuma gonna turn out to be a psychopath of some sort and NEET's gonna try to emulate that in order to become a better QA tester?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think the ace bug tester is just kind of a dork with an overly serious and dramatic self image. See: the chair incident. Who does that??

Naturally he is just NEETs type for that reason, they seem to have some neuroses in common and will probably make good friends

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Those are some advanced techniques on display

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

oh lawd he gonna get high on his own supply

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Vic posted:

Oh oh is Amanuma gonna turn out to be a psychopath of some sort and NEET's gonna try to emulate that in order to become a better QA tester?

Nah, Amanuma's going to congratulate NEET on setting up the core cause of the bug giving him much of the credit out of modesty, and NEET's going to lose his poo poo entirely for eight panels or so.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think the ace bug tester is just kind of a dork with an overly serious and dramatic self image. See: the chair incident. Who does that??
Extremely loving cool dudes

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

*michael drop*

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

splurt

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
irl i have seen weird shadow enigmas and have had p much the same reaction

except one time it actually was an enormous bat, i just opened all the doors and windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

irl i have seen weird shadow enigmas and have had p much the same reaction

except one time it actually was an enormous bat, i just opened all the doors and windows

Sounds like a good way to get additional bats.

Joking aside, I've had a bat in the house twice and easiest way to get rid of them was to open the door and turn the lights on full. Before that we set the dimmer lower and got it to calm down so we could try to catch it. I had been told by nature documentaries that a bat on the ground can't take off and I can now assure you this is not true.