Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

On a related note are there other games which do anything even vaguely similar to what High Frontier does because it sure would be nice to indulge my boyfriend's rocket fanaticism without Eklund being involved.

Also the game is kind of poo poo so that's another reason to not want to play it
Leaving Earth has you exploring the solar system and playing around with rockets + lots of math. It's a lighter game though (I'd say medium or medium-heavy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

RabidWeasel posted:

On a related note are there other games which do anything even vaguely similar to what High Frontier does because it sure would be nice to indulge my boyfriend's rocket fanaticism without Eklund being involved.

Also the game is kind of poo poo so that's another reason to not want to play it

Different type of game but maybe consider Rocketmen. It's a deckbuilder with a board component about launching space missions. When you're playing cards, you have the choice of locking them to your launch pad to power your mission (but taking them out of your deck) or playing them to buy upgraded components. Once you launch your mission, you start a certain distance along a victory track based on the cards you put on your launchpad, and then you have a push your luck component where you have to draw enough cards to get to the destination before you run out of moves. You can abort the mission if it looks like you aren't going to make it and recover some of your launch pad cards; the earlier you abort the more you get back, which is where the push your luck component comes in. Not the deepest game, but the theme seems pretty on for what you are looking for.

It was a Kickstarter game that shipped earlier this year but a quick search shows good availability out there at various places.

Also, it's fun to sing wrong song lyrics. "I'm a rocketmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn, burning out his fuse up here alone..."

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Leaving Earth looks pretty neat, I might try it, thanks.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Different type of game but maybe consider Rocketmen. It's a deckbuilder with a board component about launching space missions. When you're playing cards, you have the choice of locking them to your launch pad to power your mission (but taking them out of your deck) or playing them to buy upgraded components. Once you launch your mission, you start a certain distance along a victory track based on the cards you put on your launchpad, and then you have a push your luck component where you have to draw enough cards to get to the destination before you run out of moves. You can abort the mission if it looks like you aren't going to make it and recover some of your launch pad cards; the earlier you abort the more you get back, which is where the push your luck component comes in. Not the deepest game, but the theme seems pretty on for what you are looking for.

It was a Kickstarter game that shipped earlier this year but a quick search shows good availability out there at various places.

Also, it's fun to sing wrong song lyrics. "I'm a rocketmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn, burning out his fuse up here alone..."

Played a bit of Rocketmen then other day and it's pretty good I think. Your engine peaks just as the game ends which is just right for me.

It also had a moment where my wife decided she would fix climate change but only after putting a base on mars.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
CHanging track to not talk about the horrible guy anymore (jesus that spoiler), I remember years ago playing Age of Renaissance with friends, an old version not in perfect condition. Did that get remade?

Any other cool Renaissance games not designed by horrible people?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

am I the only one who thinks it's crazy to say this thread won't talk about certain games or designers at all? Because that sounds Actually Crazy to me. I am on board with calling out Eklund whenever he comes up and having more information in the OP for when people ask.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

When did anyone suggest making a cancel list? We're talking here specifically about Phil Eklund, who is not just a racist but one who designs his games around his beliefs and uses the games as a platform to proselytise them.

List created, size 1:

Mayveena posted:

Folks play what you like, noting that Phil Eklund is one of the most racist designers in the hobby and he's part of the publishing team for that publisher. I'm talking about the Pax games, with the exception of Pax Pamir 2nd edition.

I'd prefer that the discussion moves on, there are other places to discuss games designed by a racist. Thanks.

List ratified:

Bottom Liner posted:

No one said you can't, but a prominent figure in both the board gaming hobby and this thread asked us not to out of good taste and I agree 100%. We all draw the line for supporting a garbage person where we feel comfortable, but folks here would rather not hear about him or his games anymore other than to warn others about his awful beliefs and agendas that he tries to spread through them.

I suggested additional people for the list. It's fine if we want to avoid talking about Eklund here because he expresses his abhorrent ideas in his designs while my suggestions have the grace to only think/believe/act them out, but let's not pretend we're doing something else.

not a single person here has defended Eklund or his ideas, but it's reasonable to discuss those games here while noting how garbage he is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

homullus posted:

am I the only one who thinks it's crazy to say this thread won't talk about certain games or designers at all? Because that sounds Actually Crazy to me. I am on board with calling out Eklund whenever he comes up and having more information in the OP for when people ask.

Calling out when he comes up: yes, fine

Discussing his games in a positive light making people who think he is a blight on the hobby uncomfortable: maybe not as fine, given how much of a blight he is

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But really it was a "hey can folks move on" request, not a "never ever talk about him ever again, in any way" request

Taking the former and pushing back on the latter is a tried and true way to drive people away, not that I'm saying you're trying to do so, but it can have that effect regardless.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fate Accomplice posted:

List created, size 1:

List ratified:

I suggested additional people for the list. It's fine if we want to avoid talking about Eklund here because he expresses his abhorrent ideas in his designs while my suggestions have the grace to only think/believe/act them out, but let's not pretend we're doing something else.

not a single person here has defended Eklund or his ideas, but it's reasonable to discuss those games here while noting how garbage he is.

Is this some sort of performance art?
You posted quotes where people said “let’s just move on and not discuss his games any further.” Nobody said anything about some permanent blacklist.
YOU were the one who created an explicit blacklist that nobody asked for. And then you started arguing about it.

Also you’re arguing dangerously close to a “thought police!!!” CHUD talking point.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 5, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

it's reasonable to discuss those games here while noting how garbage he is.

This is my feeling on the matter, but also combined with Mayveena's "hey can we move on" request (which I realize this post is NOT following)

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

homullus posted:

No, you're not. I love this thread and you guys are great but Eklund isn't Voldemort and it's weird to try and hide from him and his games.

In other news, I got another game of Pax Pamir 2p in last night and yet again, came down to the wire. I think I might be turning a corner on my strategy because I'm starting to recognize certain cards and anticipate their arrival. That and really paying attention to suit changes. My girlfriend had seized control of most regions making it expensive to play any cards so I ended up taxing and gifting my way to stay on pace with her to avoid getting crushed by dominance checks. Either way, loving the game more and more and really happy that she is even asking to play it versus me begging to get it on the table.

I'm this close to ordering Return of a King to really get more historical context to this game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm not at all in favor of a cancel list. I simply asked that we could move on from Eklund. While many of us share the same values in board gaming, not all of us do. I ask for context when it could be important in the discussion of any given game, including colonial style games and games that are trying to convince people of ideas that may need further discussion.

We're adults here and the thread should be informative as well as entertaining.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

silvergoose posted:

But really it was a "hey can folks move on" request, not a "never ever talk about him ever again, in any way" request

Taking the former and pushing back on the latter is a tried and true way to drive people away, not that I'm saying you're trying to do so, but it can have that effect regardless.

I'm not sure I understand the difference between "don't talk about him again" and "hey can you move on from talking about his games" (when people were just talking about game mechanics and not getting into any prickly debate that would sidetrack the thread), which is why I asked for clarification earlier. Like, if the thread's consensus is that there is a threadban on Eklund's games, or any other developer for that matter, that's fine. But it strikes me as weird, and a little disingenuous, to try and say in the same breath "no one is saying that you that you can't talk about this person's games, we're just saying move on from talking about his games" when there wasn't a heated debate going on that would merit it unless his games are a forbidden topic. If there's a rule here, let's be upfront about it.

People can, of course, feel free to point out if a developer is a piece of garbage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey just asking again because it might have gotten lost in my giant post about Dark Souls and junk above:

Anyone have any idea where you can get blank white round die-cut counter sheets? Like basically sheets of blank pogs?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm not sure I understand the difference between "don't talk about him again" and "hey can you move on from talking about his games" (when people were just talking about game mechanics and not getting into any prickly debate that would sidetrack the thread), which is why I asked for clarification earlier. Like, if the thread's consensus is that there is a threadban on Eklund's games, or any other developer for that matter, that's fine. But it strikes me as weird, and a little disingenuous, to try and say in the same breath "no one is saying that you that you can't talk about this person's games, we're just saying move on from talking about his games" when there wasn't a heated debate going on that would merit it unless his games are a forbidden topic. If there's a rule here, let's be upfront about it.

People can, of course, feel free to point out if a developer is a piece of garbage.

For gently caress’s sake there is no threadban, there is no probation threat for mentioning him, it was one person asking if we could maybe not dwell on a giant racist POS.

If you have this much trouble parsing a conversation, maybe it’s best you don’t participate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Alright I'll try an analogy.

Let's say people were talking about Lovecraft in the sci Fi thread in tbb. Someone notes that he was hella racist and his books are kind of all about racism. A semi regular member of the thread who happens to be an author and of a minority group asks politely after a page of discussion about Lovecraft's work "hey can we move on from this".

Responding "this is a discussion thread why can't we discuss his plots" is kind of insensitive.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like boardgames and I hate racists.

That's my stance on this issue.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

silvergoose posted:

Alright I'll try an analogy.

Let's say people were talking about Lovecraft in the sci Fi thread in tbb. Someone notes that he was hella racist and his books are kind of all about racism. A semi regular member of the thread who happens to be an author and of a minority group asks politely after a page of discussion about Lovecraft's work "hey can we move on from this".

Responding "this is a discussion thread why can't we discuss his plots" is kind of insensitive.

In that case, I would probably ask if the thread wanted there to be a rule that Lovecraft's stories shouldn't be discussed, because that would also kind of seem weird to me. Unless there was some debate with idiots actually defending racism or something that merited a "hey can we move on" situation. But if people were just discussing some aspect of Lovecraft's books in general, who certainly is an influential author despite being a racist garbage person, I'd think it was strange if someone, no matter who they were, suddenly said "don't talk about Lovecraft anymore"

Probably a poor analogy on your part, since Eklund is certainly no Lovecraft in terms of penetration into modern media.

In any event, I'll drop it and just consider there to be a soft rule against talking about Eklund's games.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This I agree with.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I agree with both of those!

Speaking of the former, got to introduce three games to some friends we haven't seen in two years for some reason.

Maskmen was a hit, naturally enough since they love Tichu too. No surprises here, game still slaps leaps from a pole and tackles

Century Spice Road worked, I still like the game despite it definitely being on the somewhat bland market row mild economy shelf with splendor and the like. Also well received.

Cities is this weird flip and write that I played a bunch on baj and liked it async, and now have gotten to play a couple times live. It's fine, better than roll and writes which I have mostly disliked.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So anyway.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to:
- Fury of Dracula
- Whitehall Mystery/Letters from Whitechapel
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

I'm pottering around in the background with a couple of board game ideas I'd like to prototype, and I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.
Also if there is any particular hidden movement mechanics you like seeing let me know.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pandemic with the expansion, perhaps?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

I'm pottering around in the background with a couple of board game ideas I'd like to prototype, and I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.
Also if there is any particular hidden movement mechanics you like seeing let me know.

Not exactly what you're looking for but captain sonar has hidden movement. Really fun game for bigger groups.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

Every hidden movement game just makes me want an updated reprint of Clue: the Museum Caper. :colbert:

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Infinitum posted:

I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.

There's also:
Nuns on the Run
Specter Ops
Captain / Sonar
Hunt for the Ring

The reverse of this mechanic that I actually felt worked better can be seen in Treasure Island

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eraflure posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for but captain sonar has hidden movement. Really fun game for bigger groups.

Yeah Captain Sonar has been on my pickup list for a while, but :lol: Pandemic :lol: and trying to organise a day for 8 players just isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DogCop posted:

Hunt for the Ring

Oh poo poo I had never heard of this one, thank you!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/eric_lang/status/1423324179584143362?s=21

If you can’t tell the difference in a guy that’s been dead for 100 years whose IP is used by game designers of all types today and a living piece of garbage disseminating his trash in his game manuals you are doing this exact performative bullshit and this is exactly the kind of crap BGG has been moderating out because it’s toxic as hell.

Fate Accomplice posted:

can we gather a list of the games/designers who we shouldn't talk about?

once we have a complete list maybe add it to the OP?

Fate Accomplice posted:

let's not pretend we're doing something else.

Case in point. Don’t do disingenuous poo poo like this first post just to comeback and reveal that it was mocking the very idea.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 5, 2021

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

silvergoose posted:

If the conversation about Lovecraft is bad in and of itself because his works are racist, then that would apply to any future conversations about Lovecraft just as much. "This conversation should end because Lovecraft is racist, but you can still talk about Lovecraft later" seems kind of weasily, because won't future Lovecraft conversations get shut down again, for the same reason? Is it even possible to have a Lovecraft conversation without hurting people the exact same way? If so, how? If not, wouldn't it be clearer to just say talking about Lovecraft's works is banned outright?

I don't know, I'm a lurker in this thread so maybe I shouldn't say anything. But I am, in classic probably-on-the-spectrum-somewhere fashion, very uncomfortable with ambiguous soft power dynamics. If people want to set rules about what can be talked about that's fine, but I think those rules should be made clearly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
This isn’t just a discussion thread on a forum, but a pretty small and tight community we’ve created here over the years. The things we discuss reflect the community we’re trying to create and sends a message to those in and out of that community. If I knew about Eklund and wandered into this thread for the first time to see people praising his games and recommending them, I would get an immediate understanding of where this community stands on a number of topics. In a similar note, Mayveena is a long-standing member of this community and asked that we not send that very message and I agree. There are plenty of games to talk about, plenty of places to even talk about those games, and curating this community atmosphere to make others feel comfortable in this space is more important than any hypothetical “but what about X” things you are worried about being lost here.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I think, and folks can correct me if I'm wrong here, that part of the issue was specifically recommending other Pax games besides Pax Pamir 2nd Ed. Like, no one took issue with discussing the mechanics of Pax games. Recommending them without mention of Eklund's shittiness was when we were asked to move on.

This ultimately gets to a centuries old issue of whether or not it's problematic to appreciate and critique the works of known shitheads. I'm most familiar with the arguments surrounding Wagner personally, but they apply everywhere. The added element here is that Eklund is still alive and thus can get your dollars.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Pretend I said JK Rowling instead of Lovecraft, if that helps the analogy, too.

And, yes, "don't discuss her works if you can and especially don't recommend anything she might get money from" is exactly my stance, and ought to be the stance of anyone who doesn't want to support transphobia.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

I don't disagree with any of that. But if talking about Eklund's games is banned because you don't like the message it sends, then people should just say "talking about Eklund's games is banned" instead of dancing around it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I really liked the fog spirit from the Jagged Earth expansion

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

All these analogies and debates suck. If posters are asking not to talk about a game or developer cause it makes them upset, just drop the topic and don't talk about it. There's only a few dozen people posting in here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This is the game I was talking about : https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26/age-renaissance

Doesn't look like there was a second edition. Long out of print but I might be able to get a cheap used copy.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

Escape the Aliens from Outer Space is quite good. Everyone’s sneaking around a ship: some are humans trying to escape, some are aliens looking to eat humans.

Also, the designers of Cryptid are doing a spin-off that looks like it’ll be a 1v1 game like Whitehall Mystery: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/343274/cryptid-urban-legends

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I completely forgot about Search for Planet X. Does it have any way of playing without the app? Alchemists has a method of using a GM to check answers, for example.

I love the idea of the game but really don't want it to be unplayable in 5-10 years because the app doesn't work anymore.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Codeacious posted:

I completely forgot about Search for Planet X. Does it have any way of playing without the app? Alchemists has a method of using a GM to check answers, for example.

I love the idea of the game but really don't want it to be unplayable in 5-10 years because the app doesn't work anymore.

From checking BGG, it looks like a print and play has been released which would allow a GM to share the results of surveys and targets with players. It was also suggested that you could have a GM create the map and starting info on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Prairie Bus posted:

Escape the Aliens from Outer Space is quite good. Everyone’s sneaking around a ship: some are humans trying to escape, some are aliens looking to eat humans.

it's been absolutely ages since I've last played it but IIRC EtAfOS uses hidden roles for the aliens vs humans, except the available actions are different between them so humans could safely signal what they were easily on the first turn? Something like that? I love the idea of the game, though.