Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Seeing people out of context is a big factor too, though I suppose that wouldn't apply in NYC or LA where you expect to see famous people a bit more often. But if someone famous walks by you on the street you're more likely to think 'heh that guy looks just like Celebrity' than to actually recognise them, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same goes for people you interact with regularly.

Like once I in the south of Spain (visiting from the Netherlands) at a small market in a random tiny village and saw my neighbours from a few houses down the street. Super random coincidence. At first it's like heh, they look like Peter and Amanda and you take a second look and it still takes a weirdly long rear end time for your brain to process that it's actually them.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’ve had people I worked with 48 hours a week be completely unrecognizable when they weren’t in their EMS uniforms.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I thought I was having lunch with Tom Cruise once but it was just David Mitchell.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hell I went to my doctor to get some help with my depression and his advice was to go see my own show.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

HopperUK posted:

Seeing people out of context is a big factor too, though I suppose that wouldn't apply in NYC or LA where you expect to see famous people a bit more often. But if someone famous walks by you on the street you're more likely to think 'heh that guy looks just like Celebrity' than to actually recognise them, I reckon.

Taeke posted:

Same goes for people you interact with regularly.

Very very much this.

As my new favorite example: my parents live literally around the corner from me. We see each other daily. Yesterday I went to grab lunch while masked up and on my way back I saw my mom standing at a stop light waiting to cross the street. She was fumbling in her purse and ended up having a facemask fall out of it. I called out to her "Mom! You dropped your mask!" and while she looked up at me, then saw where I was pointing, she never recognized her masked-up son sitting in his car 20 feet away from her in broad daylight. I called her a few minutes later to chat and she was surprised it was me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When I was in highschool I was walking around my town with a friend when my dad walked out of the nearby radioshack and stood next to me at the cross walk waiting for the light to change. I turned to him and said hi and he just looked at me for like 5 seconds before realizing who I was and said hi back and then walked away.

Of course my dad is a loving weirdo.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tony hawk weeps at your not-recognizing-celebrities stories

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

HopperUK posted:

It’s all about context, I’ve met hundreds of famous people and unless they have something that really sets them apart I just have this vague ‘I should know who this is’ feeling.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

Hell I went to my doctor to get some help with my depression and his advice was to go see my own show.

I know this is a Pagliacci joke, but my brain read it in Larry David's voice

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I walked past Marc Warren in front of the Bellagio when Hustle was still on the air, 100% sure it was him. But I couldn't remember his character's name, much less his actual name, so I didn't make it weird.

Checked later, he was in Vegas for his birthday.

Years later, I awkwardly shuffled past Evanna Lynch while deboarding in Scotland.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My friend was at a wedding for a Ribisi sibling and Giovanni was in the reception line. He introduced himself to my friend who was like "yeah, I know."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I stopped Tony Stark's cave doctor from going up the suite elevators because he didn't have his key and had to help Magnum PI stop trying to drunk keying every door to find his room.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have a few IIMM's with the Reeve Superman movies but Christopher Reeve is not one if them. Dude was born to play Superman and the bar he set for the role has been one of the main reasons most of the movies since then haven't worked as well or been as well received.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ilmucche posted:

Tony hawk weeps at your not-recognizing-celebrities stories

That's the British comedian who did that Stutter Rap parody song back in the late 80s, yeah?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Nah, I think it was the guy from dead poet's society

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BiggerBoat posted:

I have a few IIMM's with the Reeve Superman movies but Christopher Reeve is not one if them. Dude was born to play Superman and the bar he set for the role has been one of the main reasons most of the movies since then haven't worked as well or been as well received.

I thought Brandon Routh's portrayal in Superman Returns was fine. I actually liked Henry Cavill as Supes in the Snyderverse, but honestly both of them were stuck with some real dogshit scripts.

IMO Reeves was great because Clark was written in those movies as an actual character. Clark had to do actual things & interact with people like Lois, Jimmy, and Perry.

Too bad neither Brandon or Henry had the opportunity to try something along these lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

I haven't seen any of the TV versions of Superman so I can't comment on that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My best friend is a bodybuilding fanatic, and I recall him gushing over that scene as the pinnacle of physical acting because of how well Christopher Reeves simply changing his posture worked to transform the character on-screen.

It's a fine bit of acting for sure, but bodybuilders are usually huge dorks and just like looking at bigger people.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Wasabi the J posted:

My best friend is a bodybuilding fanatic, and I recall him gushing over that scene as the pinnacle of physical acting because of how well Christopher Reeves simply changing his posture worked to transform the character on-screen.

It's a fine bit of acting for sure, but bodybuilders are usually huge dorks and just like looking at bigger people.

A great bit of "physical acting" as you describe it is the way David Boreanaz completely changes his mannerisms and posture when he changes from Angel to Angelus.

And I am not talking about the silly vampire make up. There are a few scenes I remember where he just changes his posture, and you can tell he is acting as a different character.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If we're talking about this sort of thing, the best example I know is from Dollhouse which was all about the actors becoming different people each week.

No, not any scene with the "star" of the show because she couldn't act her way our of a wet paper bag.

There was a scene where Enver Gjokaj had the mind of the chief scientist, played by Fran Kranz, downloaded into him so he could repair some tech which had broken. Now Gjokaj and Kranz look nothing alike, but he played the scene so well it was like watching the other actor.

Then the other actor's character arrived and the two of them played the same person in the same scene and it was amazing.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmJALXh_sI

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If we're talking about this sort of thing, the best example I know is from Dollhouse which was all about the actors becoming different people each week.

No, not any scene with the "star" of the show because she couldn't act her way our of a wet paper bag.

There was a scene where Enver Gjokaj had the mind of the chief scientist, played by Fran Kranz, downloaded into him so he could repair some tech which had broken. Now Gjokaj and Kranz look nothing alike, but he played the scene so well it was like watching the other actor.

Then the other actor's character arrived and the two of them played the same person in the same scene and it was amazing.

Dollhouse is a show that I can never admit to liking publicly because the premise is really skeezy and it was written and produced by King Skeeze, Joss Whedon, but at the same time a lot of it is really, really good. I loved the season 1 finale where they thought they were being canceled so they just did an end-run into the social and economic consequences of the technology which caused an unfettered apocalypse. Then they got renewed and season 2 started leading up to that point with more and more sidelong references, before resolving the season 1 finale in another flash-forward. IIRC there were also some pretty decent comic books that took place in the lead up to and aftermath of the apocalypse but it's been easily a decade since I read them on a whim after finding them in a library.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
One movie I’ve never been able to recommend to anyone is Happiness (1998)

The cast and their performances are fantastic: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Dylan Baker, Jon Lovitz, Lara Flynn Boyle, Camryn Manheim, Jared Harris The writing and direction also

But it is brutally frank about its depiction of ordinary people who are deeply hosed up

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Keith Atherton posted:

The cast and their performances are fantastic: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Dylan Baker, Jon Lovitz, Lara Flynn Boyle, Camryn Manheim, Jared Harris The writing and direction also

But it is brutally frank about its depiction of ordinary people who are deeply hosed up

The ending:

A pre-teen young boy masturbates to completion whilst standing on a balcony perving on a sunbathing woman below. Then comes in to cheerfully, and innocently, tell his mother and her sisters, "I came".

And that is not the darkest thing to happen in the film. To that character even.

Such a good movie, but not a cheerful or uplifting one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

Dollhouse is a show that I can never admit to liking publicly because the premise is really skeezy and it was written and produced by King Skeeze, Joss Whedon, but at the same time a lot of it is really, really good. I loved the season 1 finale where they thought they were being canceled so they just did an end-run into the social and economic consequences of the technology which caused an unfettered apocalypse. Then they got renewed and season 2 started leading up to that point with more and more sidelong references, before resolving the season 1 finale in another flash-forward. IIRC there were also some pretty decent comic books that took place in the lead up to and aftermath of the apocalypse but it's been easily a decade since I read them on a whim after finding them in a library.

Worth noting is that episode wasn't aired on tv. It was DVD exclusive. The only good point if s1 that actually made me interested in the show and you didn't see it without buying the DVD or piracy.

quote:

On April 9, 2009, Whedon rebutted speculation that Fox was set to cancel the show. Producer Tim Minear explained that the "missing" 13th episode (titled "Epitaph One") would be on the DVD release of the season. The reason Minear gave for that episode being dropped from the broadcast run was that the Fox network was counting the original first episode ("Echo"), which went unaired, as part of the original 13-episode order; in contrast, the Fox production company was required by contract to have a minimum of 13 completed episodes for international and DVD releases. According to both Minear and Whedon, the producers felt that the original first episode, having been subsequently scrapped entirely and having had its footage reused for other episodes throughout the season, should not be counted as a completed episode as part of their own 13-episode orders for international and DVD distribution but rather as a DVD extra, and thus Whedon produced a new 13th episode on a lower budget to fulfill the contractual requirements for the international broadcasts. The episode was screened at Comic-Con on July 24, 2009.

"Epitaph One" had its world premiere in Singapore on June 17, 2009, through Season Pass, an on-demand service offered by SingTel mio TV. In the United Kingdom, the episode aired on the UK Sci Fi Channel on August 11, 2009.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

:shrug: It was there when I saw it on Netflix, back when you had to throw a disc into your PS3 to stream stuff.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rockman Reserve posted:

:shrug: It was there when I saw it on Netflix, back when you had to throw a disc into your PS3 to stream stuff.

Which still wasn't aired on tv and counts as home release

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One of my favorite performances where you can tell an actor is a different character mainly by how they carry themselves is James Nesbitt in Jekyll. He does wear contacts and they change his hairline and a few subtle other things when he becomes Hyde, but he also carries himself completely differently.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
David Tennant also pulls that off very well in the third season of the Who reboot, in Human Nature. Actors are magicians basically.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Keith Atherton posted:

"Haha yeah man, it's like how I can't recommend Evangelion..."

BrigadierSensible posted:

The ending:

A pre-teen young boy masturbates to completion whilst standing on a balcony perving on a sunbathing woman below. Then comes in to cheerfully, and innocently, tell his mother and her sisters, "I came".

And that is not the darkest thing to happen in the film. To that character even.

"Ok, wait. Is this Evangelion?"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

BrigadierSensible posted:

A great bit of "physical acting" as you describe it is the way David Boreanaz completely changes his mannerisms and posture when he changes from Angel to Angelus.

And I am not talking about the silly vampire make up. There are a few scenes I remember where he just changes his posture, and you can tell he is acting as a different character.

There's a show called Counterpart where JK Simmons plays 2 characters. Despite them looking identical, you can instantly tell which of the characters he's playing simply by the way he moves (one is confident, the other not so much), it's amazing.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Orphan Black was great for this sort of thing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

I thought Brandon Routh's portrayal in Superman Returns was fine. I actually liked Henry Cavill as Supes in the Snyderverse, but honestly both of them were stuck with some real dogshit scripts.

IMO Reeves was great because Clark was written in those movies as an actual character. Clark had to do actual things & interact with people like Lois, Jimmy, and Perry.

Too bad neither Brandon or Henry had the opportunity to try something along these lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

I haven't seen any of the TV versions of Superman so I can't comment on that.

How about Batman talking to Bruce Wayne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCkmUS1IYI

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Again: the world needs campy Batman again.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

IIMM: It's really a shame that Princess and the Frog drags so much in the middle, because the beginning and end are a lot of fun. The setting is great too - 1920's New Orleans, except magic is real and people are just like "yeah that makes sense". It also follows the classic Disney tradition of having a great villain song, along with a classic (?) brutal villain death (he's dragged to hell along with his implied-to-be-sentient shadow while voodoo dolls and floating heads sing his own theme song back at him)

Oh, another one: It has both a terrible side character (the loving firefly) and a great one (the gator who really just wants to play jazz).

oldpainless posted:

Also reminder that Jason Stathams cameo in Collateral is meant to be the Transporter.
The Mercenary Cinematic Universe.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pilchenstein posted:

Orphan Black was great for this sort of thing.

YES

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

How about Batman talking to Bruce Wayne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCkmUS1IYI

That was great. Damned if that wouldn't have been a perfect Police Squad! gag too.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Adam West is one of the few other actors I think could have worked as the lead in Police Squad, provided he played it straight like Batman and not hamming it up like some of his later stuff. Not that there's anything neccessarily wrong with hamming it up, it just wouldn't work for Police Squad.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Sunswipe posted:

Adam West is one of the few other actors I think could have worked as the lead in Police Squad, provided he played it straight like Batman and not hamming it up like some of his later stuff. Not that there's anything neccessarily wrong with hamming it up, it just wouldn't work for Police Squad.

West did this in the pilot for Lookwell (1991), which is pretty good:

https://youtu.be/IraqNhvvpUU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Zero_Grade posted:

IIMM: It's really a shame that Princess and the Frog drags so much in the middle, because the beginning and end are a lot of fun. The setting is great too - 1920's New Orleans, except magic is real and people are just like "yeah that makes sense". It also follows the classic Disney tradition of having a great villain song, along with a classic (?) brutal villain death (he's dragged to hell along with his implied-to-be-sentient shadow while voodoo dolls and floating heads sing his own theme song back at him)

Oh, another one: It has both a terrible side character (the loving firefly) and a great one (the gator who really just wants to play jazz).

Nah it's actually fine and Ray isn't even that bad.