Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Tag urself:

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1423301403649396738?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i've noticed a lot of people who now call themselves :airquote: independents :airquote: love to hand wring about how both sides are responsible for this antivax bullshit and yet these numbers are always so reliably predictable

It's amazing how independents never have left-wing tendencies, it's just the GOP isn't extreme enough for them yet.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Group Sigma, knows Nate Siklver is a dork

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://overcast.fm/+HPatTCEM/13:46

They talk about the recent CDC leak and one thing they say for vaccinated people:

For disease 1 in 5000
For hospitalization 1 in a million
For death 1 in 2.5 million

Haven’t listened to the whole thing but it’s pretty good, “this thing is not going away, forget about herd immunity, etc”

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

They talk about the recent CDC leak and one thing they say for vaccinated people:

For disease 1 in 5000

Haven’t listened to the whole thing but it’s pretty good, “this thing is not going away, forget about herd immunity, etc”

I am sorry, I cannot listen to the podcast right now, what do they mean when they say 1 in 5000? Like, of all cases of Corona, vaccinated people count for 1 in 5000? A vaccinated person has a 1 in 5000 chance of getting the disease? That seems significantly better than what I thought to be the case.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Group F: just want to watch the world burn

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

For disease 1 in 5000

Yet again, garbage numbers for people who like good news about bad news.

How about some data from one of the most highly vaxx'd states?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/nearly-8000-breakthrough-covid-cases-reported-in-mass-100-have-now-died/2456116/

30% of recent cases are breakthroughs

5% require hospitalization but 1. 4% of breakthroughs have died - roughly the same CFR as with wildtype before the vaccines.

To be clear, I'm sure the actual infection rate of the vaccinated is much higher (asymptomatic or mild, and/or not testing) but does that look like a one in 2.5 million CFR? Are there loving 250 million people in Massachusetts?

Has everyone loving failed basic math and reading comprehension?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Group A-C. I'm so tired of this poo poo but I also have no desire to die or spread this poo poo so, forever no restaurants and mask on my face.

I miss sipping a drink as I walked through a store.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am sorry, I cannot listen to the podcast right now, what do they mean when they say 1 in 5000? Like, of all cases of Corona, vaccinated people count for 1 in 5000? A vaccinated person has a 1 in 5000 chance of getting the disease? That seems significantly better than what I thought to be the case.

I don't know how this is possible when the US has 1:9 of people who have had covid.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is some interesting information specifically about breakthrough cases and deaths, published at the end of July:
https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/covid-19-vaccine-breakthrough-cases-data-from-the-states/

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what does it all mean

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

latinotwink1997 posted:

Hell yeah dude

Its too bad it didn't quite kill tourism and airplane industries, but maybe by the time we get to Omega strain it'll be a coup de grace

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

vacillating between groups a-c by default because i am fully vaxxed, and the group i am in depends on the day, my mood, what i had for breakfast, the weather, phase of the moon, etc. etc.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

A solid B that wishes he could slide into a C "let 'em fuckin' die" attitude, but I'm overly aware of people that can't get vaccinated or whose bodies just have weak immune systems even with vaccines.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Hard C

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Just in case it's not clear what a loving clueless dipshit Nate is:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CT_Bergstrom/status/1423109796782247942

https://imgur.com/i7KdYN9.mp4

This is exactly how I picture his "contemplating my tweet" face.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Goddamn I wish I could be like Nate Silver and declare myself an expert in whatever field I wanted despite being terrible at everything.

Also so I could refer to actual published material as a "Take".

Hot take incoming guys but oxygen? Yeah, it's breathable. Remember to credit me if you mention this fact, although I'm glad it's getting out there into the public sphere.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, that was their back of the envelope conclusion, which probably means a ton more people got it and didn't even know, so it's good news imo (if you're vaccinated, if not just lol)

Blitter posted:

Yet again, garbage numbers for people who like good news about bad news.

How about some data from one of the most highly vaxx'd states?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/nearly-8000-breakthrough-covid-cases-reported-in-mass-100-have-now-died/2456116/

5% require hospitalization but 1. 4% of breakthroughs have died - roughly the same CFR as with wildtype before the vaccines.

To be clear, I'm sure the actual infection rate of the vaccinated is much higher (asymptomatic or mild, and/or not testing) but does that look like a one in 2.5 million CFR? Are there loving 250 million people in Massachusetts?

Has everyone loving failed basic math and reading comprehension?

I think you're crack-pinging a bit here friend, relax

I looked at that chart but I see a 0.002% of deaths in vaccinated people? That seems real good? (for vaxxed ppl)

I finished the episode while working out (at home :negative:) but I certainly came away a little bit more relaxed. Basically they agree the CDC hosed up when they gambled with the messaging of "If you're vaccinated you can go maskless!"

Somehow the CDC didn't expect antivaxxers to just... LIE about their status???? amazing imo, and a hearty lol

Also the CDC going THE WAR HAS CHANGED and so on :rolleyes:

But the guys in the podcast say we're still in a better spot than in 2020 thanks to the vaccines, and I tend to agree. And that it doesn't matter if it's the ancestral strain or Delta or Omega, there's nothing we can do besides just mask up, stay away from people (specially if they're not using masks) and get vaxxed. It's not going away anytime soon, so it should be taken more seriously

Even the republican guy is saying it
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/03/opinion/covid-vaccine-safety.html

So we should basically be careful for a few more months and see how things go, since it's apparently out of the question to lockdown again. Basically things are: not great, not terrible.

tl;dr: GET VAXXED BITCH

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i feel like a groundhog who emerged from the ground after a long winter, poked his head up, took a look around and noped right out again

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

thats group J

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

freebooter posted:

Two month problem. Life in several countries particularly China has been basically back to normal for over a year, barring repeated reintroduction of lockdowns and restrictions because the virus keeps leaking in from the rest of the world which decided that killing millions and saddling the human race with an ineradicable virus was not as important as going out for dinner on the reg.

We are absolutely going to cook this planet to a loving cinder. I have lost any remaining shreds of hope I had about this species tackling climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/04/with-the-delta-variant-spreading-is-chinas-zero-tolerance-covid-approach-over

quote:

As the highly transmissible Delta variant continues to spread across at least 17 provinces, China is facing a new dilemma: is its once-successful “zero tolerance” approach to containing the spread of the virus over, and what comes next?

Unlike Britain and Singapore, where officials have explicitly encouraged people to “learn to live with the virus”, China has yet to officially shift its messaging.

But experts are asking what next for the country’s strategy, now that it’s clear the virus is not going away any time soon. Last week, the Chinese virologist Zhang Wenhong – widely known as “China’s Dr Fauci” – wrote in an essay about the need for the “wisdom” of long-term coexistence with the virus.

Zhang said the recent outbreak in the eastern Chinese city of Nanjing should serve as “food for thought for the future of our pandemic response”. “The data tell us that even if each of us were to be vaccinated in the future, Covid-19 would still be endemic, but at a lower level with a lower fatality rate. After the liberalisation of vaccines, there will still be infections in the future,” he wrote.

Less than a week after Zhang’s opinion piece was published, the Delta variant has now spread to more than half of China’s 31 provinces, shutting down transport routes. On Wednesday, China reported 96 new cases, 71 of them locally transmitted. Residential areas, including those home to more than 10,000 people in the capital, Beijing, have been sealed off for mass testing. In Wuhan, where the virus was first reported in late 2019, authorities have begun testing all 11 million residents.

The debate over the merit of China’s zero-tolerance strategy has, in fact, been around for some time. Last year, Wang Liming, a professor at Zhejiang University urged the government to adjust the wartime thinking of “elimination” as the red line.

“We need to accept the fact that Covid is going to be around for a long time and that it will coexist with humans, [therefore we need to] abandon unrealistic KPIs [key performance indicators] such as short-term elimination,” Wang wrote.

In the last 12 months, as countries around the world struggled to control the spread of the virus, China’s approach led to its citizens living a largely virus-free life. There were sporadic cases in parts of the country, but they were swiftly contained by the government.

China’s success – including its economic growth as most nations recorded sharp downturns – also fed into a narrative that its system is more superior to its counterparts in the west. “Judging from how this pandemic is being handled by different leaderships and [political] systems around the world, [we can] clearly see who has done better,” the president, Xi Jinping, told a meeting at the central party school early this year.

In practice, this strategy is closely linked to local officials’ performance. On Saturday, Fu Guirong, the director of the local health commission in Zhengzhou, central Henan province, was sacked after the city reported a few positive cases. Last year, Fu was given a national award for her contribution to the country’s anti-virus effort.

Beijing’s thinking, according to experts, was to keep new infections to as low as possible while rolling out its nationwide mass vaccination programme, which Reuters calculated should have covered about 61.1% of the population.

However, “China’s ‘zero-tolerance’ policy is seeing its diminishing return, and the cost of implementing it is becoming higher and higher,” said Huang Yanzhong, a prominent Chinese public health expert at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York.

“You can sustain this policy for a year, but since the virus is going to linger for a long time, can you do it for more than two years? Three years? Or four years? And at what cost?” Huang questioned.

Part of the problem, according to Huang, is also to do with China’s homemade vaccines. “The efficacy of the Chinese vaccines is still uncertain given the data we have seen so far. And on top of that the virus is continuing to mutate into new variants from elsewhere,” he added.

But despite the apparent shortcomings of China’s current strategy, others argue that it’s unrealistic to see Beijing officially change tack overnight. “China is too big for a swift turn,” said Jin Dong-Yan, a professor at Hong Kong University’s school of biomedical sciences. “It takes time to educate the political leaders and any change has to be gradual and one small step at a time.”

The health blogger A’bao wrote: “Many people are voicing their opinions that we are paying too high a price with a ‘zero-tolerance policy’ and we should give it up and learn to coexist with it. I think the answer is no. We humans will coexist with Covid for the long term for sure … But not every country has the courage, determination, execution, and sacrificial spirit that China has … Though China paid a high price for a ‘zero tolerance policy’, it also minimised the influence of Covid on our lives.”

Contrary to the alarm shared by many scientists, Jin thinks that, at the moment, the spread of the Delta variant in China is “very limited” and “should be under control soon”. Yet Beijing’s mentality has implications for a much bigger question: even if the authorities contained the current situation, when will China reopen its borders?

“It may take them forever to reopen the border. They have no self-confidence and they don’t trust others. They know that their vaccines are not doing a good job in preventing infection,” Jin said. “They should have opened the border to Hong Kong [a long time ago] … However, they did not do anything even when we had zero cases for 50 days.”

China is going to have to live with covid, just like you and me.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hard A. People have been calling me totally paranoid for a year and a half now. I don't care. I never liked people anyway.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Group C!!!

just got back from Vegas and those people are all group D

:stare:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Blitter posted:

You're kind of leaning in the same base rate fallacy direction as the article you're complaining about.

30% of recent cases on its own just tells you that they have a high rate of vaccinations. It doesn't say anything useful about the efficacy of the vaccine against delta because you're missing a denominator or two.

Now if they had said, "30% of those who are vaccinated and exposed up with a break through infection", then yes, the numbers would be much grimmer.

The higher the vaccinated population, the more breakthroughs there are going to be in the vaccinated population vs unvaxxed, just simply because there are a lot of vaccinated people out there.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 5, 2021

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Yeah, that was their back of the envelope conclusion, which probably means a ton more people got it and didn't even know, so it's good news imo (if you're vaccinated, if not just lol)

I think you're crack-pinging a bit here friend, relax

I looked at that chart but I see a 0.002% of deaths in vaccinated people? That seems real good? (for vaxxed ppl)

Case Fatality Ratio is the proportion of people who die from a specified disease among all individuals diagnosed with the disease over a given time period.

You do not include all the people who have been vaccinated and divide that by the fatalities; that is a next to useless number - doing that is like saying "only 0.9% of americans will ever die, because in 2019 only 2,854,838 people died out of a population of 328 million." It makes absolutely no sense and that's why CFR exists, and is used to describe fatality in disease.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You're kind of leaning in the same base rate fallacy direction as the article you're complaining about.

30% of recent cases on its own just tells you that they have a high rate of vaccinations. It doesn't say anything useful about the efficacy of the vaccine against delta because you're missing a denominator or two.

Now if they had said, "30% of those who are vaccinated and exposed up with a break through infection", then yes, the numbers would be much grimmer.

The higher the vaccinated population, the more breakthroughs there are going to be in the vaccinated population vs unvaxxed, just simply because there are a lot of vaccinated people out there.

That's true, and there are a lot of problems with tracking breakthroughs in the vaccinated both because it's an increasingly large percentage of the population and because there have been specific mandates by the CDC to not track presymptomatic, asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic disease within the vaccinated. That 30% number is pretty click-baity, and I probably shouldn't have included it.

My main issue is with the portrayal of risk for the vaccinated, although again, if we had the true numbers of breakthroughs I'm sure that CFR would not be nearly identical to the CFR for the unvaccinated this time last year.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 5, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

TIL that I am a college educated elite

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Group A only because I'll do whatever performance art it takes to not have to go back to that drat office.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

no. covid numbers have been very low and vaccine uptake is very high compared to america. would always like it to be higher (90%+ rather than ~80%), but as usual with canada, i find it hard to complain about our problems when comparing to the rest of the world.

no guarantees about the future tho lol, we thought we had it pretty well whipped last august too. that was pre-vaccine tbf

Well that's good news. Hopefully it stays that way

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Peter Daou Zen posted:

Group C!!!

just got back from Vegas and those people are all group D

:stare:

Vegas resident checking in; Group A; despondent

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you're in the US, it's kinda fun to look at your counties vaccination records and compare them to the 2020 election results. It's so close for here it's hilarious, I guess whatever Trumpers who realise they're being duped and Dems who are stuck in a hippy mindset (or genuinely have health issues that restrict their use) just flat out cancel each other out.

Broward County, FL:
At least one vaccination - 63.2%
Voted for Biden - 64.48%

We have a lot more people with at least one dose, but it's not too far off:

King County, WA:
At least one vaccination - 82.1%
Voted for Biden - 74.95%

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
A friend just posted on FB that his brother is having a heart attack and he can't get the medical care he needs because the hospital is overflowing with covid patients. This is in Phoenix. I hadn't heard anything about hospitals hitting capacity, can anyone there shed some light?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

compshateme85 posted:

A friend just posted on FB that his brother is having a heart attack and he can't get the medical care he needs because the hospital is overflowing with covid patients. This is in Phoenix. I hadn't heard anything about hospitals hitting capacity, can anyone there shed some light?

I could have sworn most hospitals in third world hell holes are stretched to capacity during Covid surges?

Edit: please dont take the third world thing seriously

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

I could have sworn most hospitals in third world hell holes are stretched to capacity during Covid surges?

Edit: please dont take the third world thing seriously

The USA is absolutely a third world shithole by most metrics.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

compshateme85 posted:

Goons in the CSPAM thread are reporting full hospitals in their area, especially places like Florida. The states of Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, etc are very close to being out of ICU beds if they aren’t already. Oh yeah and hospitals in FL are running out of oxygen.

Not sure about Phoenix, but major urban areas in general aren’t looking awesome. Sorry about your friend’s brother =/

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Groups B through Z are going to be dead weight in the climate apocalypse.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

You, an idiot: This neck gaiter will protect me from a viral epidemic

Me, an intellectual: Oh my, what a Group D thing to say!

:smug:

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Cross post from other thread

https://streamable.com/v49jwh

Very worth the listen

It got banned from Streamable so he re-upped it to Rumble for anyone unlucky enough to have not heard it yet: https://rumble.com/vkqg33-im-not-gonna-live-a-lie-anymore.html

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

sharknado slashfic posted:

TIL that I am a college educated elite

That's where he lost me and I stopped reading

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
As someone who works in the medical logistics field. Our Covid kit production and shipment has increased by 650%.

It's about to get really really bad. I work as Quality Management in my department so it's my job to make sure our productions of these kits are 100% accurate and perfect as it was meant to be made. And we are full steam ahead.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

That's where he lost me and I stopped reading

What you don't want covid discourse at the level of r/politicalcompassmemes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Nate Silver is a dumbass. Should have stuck with baseball. What the hell is that "breakdown"... with those numbers to usa is apparently 70% vaccinated?
Almost like he pulled them out of his rear end?