Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I know why it was done thematically but I still lol that they filmed a bit in front of the NYSE placing them in literal Gotham City NYC where a couple of blocks around in any direction you have the mix of new skyscrapers, really old churches, new slick architecture next to old skyscrapers with gargoyles, super dense blocks of perpetual scaffolding+new places to eat built into old architecture, and even some docks all right next to each other, but don't really show any of that like dang lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Neo Rasa posted:

I know why it was done thematically but I still lol that they filmed a bit in front of the NYSE placing them in literal Gotham City NYC where a couple of blocks around in any direction you have the mix of new skyscrapers, really old churches, new slick architecture next to old skyscrapers with gargoyles, super dense blocks of perpetual scaffolding+new places to eat built into old architecture, and even some docks all right next to each other, but don't really show any of that like dang lol

It also goes from closing time at the stock exchange (usually 4:00PM, right?) to the dead of night when they leave the parking garage 5 minutes later right?

The answer? No one cares.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It becomes dark because Batman's back. It's late afternoon, but then they drive into the underpass, and the lights go out, and when they come back on Batman's there and it's nighttime.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

It becomes dark because Batman's back. It's late afternoon, but then they drive into the underpass, and the lights go out, and when they come back on Batman's there and it's nighttime.

Batman seems like a real dick to have around if you have any crops in the area

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hate it when the owner turns up at the office.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Hate it when the owner turns up at the office.

Living or working in the building in the lower left on the side facing Wayne Enterprises is probably depressing

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

RBA Starblade posted:

Living or working in the building in the lower left on the side facing Wayne Enterprises is probably depressing

Probably less bad than when the sun hits that vantablack and everyone inside Wayne Enterprises cooks slowly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Augus posted:

this is why Tim Burton’s Batman kicks rear end
batman should go back to living in motherfucking Dracula’s Castle

I know right? BvS has the fun idea with Wayne Manor being in ruins and Bruce Wayne's place is a prefab riverside set of boxes.

josh04 posted:

Gotham is effectively a different city in each of the three Nolan movies, to better reflect Batman's character and state of mind at the time.

This is accurate and is unironically the best way to do it.

The Lego Batman Movie possibly uniquely has 'Wayne Island', which gives me 2017 DuckTales vibes in a good way.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I love that they snuck the Batman Begins monorail into that shot to give Gotham the barest hint of visual continuity

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know right? BvS has the fun idea with Wayne Manor being in ruins and Bruce Wayne's place is a prefab riverside set of boxes.

This is accurate and is unironically the best way to do it.

The Lego Batman Movie possibly uniquely has 'Wayne Island', which gives me 2017 DuckTales vibes in a good way.

Even in the lovely Schumacher movies Gotham is still this incredibly weird and fun city that doesn't even seem to follow Euclidean geometry at times.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Even in the lovely Schumacher movies Gotham is still this incredibly weird and fun city that doesn't even seem to follow Euclidean geometry at times.

The best part of Schumacher’s movies is his rendition of Gotham, it’s a perfect midpoint between Tim Burton and Adam West

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Darko posted:

BvS Gotham AND Metropolis is super obviously Detroit if you live here and I have no idea how to process that.
Which is funny because with the whole "Right next to each other" idea it really reads as New York and Newark to me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/jamesgunn/status/1422949013075251206?s=21

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Should've used them all and just had them change randomly throughout the movie with no explanation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I like Live Fast Die Clown because the second clause could either be read as “die a clown” or “kill the joker”, both of which fit with Harley

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

You either die a clown, or live long enough to see yourself become a clown.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chairman Capone posted:

You either die a clown, or live long enough to see yourself become a clown.

Don’t doxx me

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DC Murderverse posted:

The best part of Schumacher’s movies is his rendition of Gotham, it’s a perfect midpoint between Tim Burton and Adam West

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robot Style posted:

Should've used them all and just had them change randomly throughout the movie with no explanation.

I think all of them suck

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel really disappointed with The Suicide Squad, but Rat Catcher 2 was good.

Feels like the movie really botched the message, and it just has the usual Hollywood liberal conclusions about the topics it brings up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought it started very slow but the second half was much better than the first half. Typical case of a blockbuster movie that needed like 30 minutes trimmed off it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The Suicide Squad had some good bits but it never really engaged me. Like a Marvel movie, I'm probably going to forget about most of it in an hour and have zero desire to ever watch it again.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Y The Last Man finally got made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ER9nN9KIMo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really enjoyed The Suicide Squad, I thought it was really good and a great adaptation of the material also its definitely a rated R movie which I loved.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, I really liked TSS. It was more like a MCU movie than a dour DC movie which makes sense given James Gunn made it. I loved the dark humor of it and I loved Ratcatcher being the DC version of Squirrel Girl who takes down big bads with a seemingly paltry superpower. I also liked the comedic chemistry between Elba and Cena like when they are entering what turns out to be an allied rebel camp.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was bored to tears with TSS. It was trying way too hard to be this wacky thing but lacked none of the charm like Thor 3 or ironically GoTG 1. Things just plod along and I don’t really care about anyone in this movie. It needed some better editing and a better script overall.

Polkadot man was the best part surprisingly. But it’s a bunch of shiny dots in a sea of poo poo.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I liked TSS. It kept me engaged, but i am left with a frustration at the big bad

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
TSS was a fun ride overall, some neat visuals pretty much balanced out the humour overegging the pudding and some edgy poo poo that rubbed me the wrong way, like polkadot man feeling good for the first time in his life and immediately getting killed. Haha, you're a joke character, you've got no business experiencing catharsis or getting an unironic heroic moment. Lol. Felt decently anti-US, which never hurts. Lots of little things I liked, like the frequent jabs at Peacemaker's name not fitting him (sharkman makes a model of "peacemaker" and he says "it looks nothing like me")

I didn't like when the final battle is starting that Waller is losing her poo poo furious with insane rage. I feel she should be more dispassionate, like she's killing because it's her job/what the state demands to meet its needs. But I guess they need her to go psycho so the plucky tech team can brain her and take over

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hmm. I did like how Joel Kinnaman was used in TSS. I thought he was fine in the first movie, but this was a pretty solid evolution.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Suicide squad 2 was super fun a bunch of sympathetic characters and unsympathetic characters with competing motivations and parallel arcs pushed together by nonsense contrivance and growing and crazy poo poo happens

Not sure what anyone expected about a movie with a literal dude who makes polka dots with an explosive in his head so he has to help the US cover up war crimes but I was hoping for some fun escapism and the movie held my hand and walked me through it and I had a great time

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Got bored and walked out of The Suicide Squad. Really dull.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
watched the new suicide squad and enjoyed it. good movie imo. almost certainly much better than the snyder superhero movies (i dont actually know this for sure, tho. didnt watch them cause they look like poo poo)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

just the kind of thing a real Fucker would say

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Fucker posted:

watched the new suicide squad and enjoyed it. good movie imo. almost certainly much better than the snyder superhero movies (i dont actually know this for sure, tho. didnt watch them cause they look like poo poo)

Thats_bait.gif

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I just finished TSS. That was pretty brutal, but i enjoyed it. Bit bummed that showdown between Peacemaker and Bloodsport wasn't gnarlier, though Peacemakers previous fight was great. John Cena was so threatening i felt like he would very casually kill a character that the movie's been building you up to like. Weakest part was that deadly but not particularly scary end boss

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Suicide Squad is like a Troma movie in that it just let a director do whatever they felt like. I dunno how I feel about it though. It felt like it should have been funny but I laughed maybe once?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I knew Polka Dot Man had a very limited chance of surviving the movie, but I was still sad when he got squished. Speaking of death, the montage of all the characters the film opens with just eating it was loving amazing, especially the continual cuts to Michael Rooker's Savant getting more and more horrified.

I loved TSS. Just a drat good time and so brutally gory and gross for a comic book movie. James Gunn let his Troma freak flag fly for sure.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
I do love how consistently this thread maintains its noble tradition of being the "wrong opinions about punchman films" thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Fucker posted:

How unlikely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Daduzi posted:

I do love how consistently this thread maintains its noble tradition of being the "wrong opinions about punchman films" thread.

People like different things than you. Wow. Amazing. Insane. What a world we live in.

E: Plus there is people here who like it so gently caress off with thinking the entire thread is a hivemind.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 6, 2021