Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

oh no Mr Mime rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cinderace def seems like he dies faster now since he can't burst you as fast, maybe because his damage isn't as strong when he's pre-evolved. Venusaur damage really good now; Charizard maybe could use a bit more health but he also has stronger fire DoT

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

In my experience it's incredibly uncommon for people to respond to pings that are too general. Like, "I'm Heading Middle!" at the 2:00 mark, most people know what that means, but "I Need Backup" when Im hitting the enemy's creeps before they get to lane never works on getting my teammate to help me out if they aren't already on the same page. Spamming "Retreat" when my team are camping the middle goals as enemies endlessly jump pad out to eventually overwhelm them does not ever seem to work, either

I wish there was just general "Let's do Rotom/Dreadnaw!" pings though

You can use the right stick to move a cursor with the minimap expanded and ping anything or anyone you hover over by pressing A. YMMV in terms of actually getting the Machamp on your team to help with Dred and not just run up lane and die, though.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm not running up lane and dying, I'm giving you ungrateful fucks cover! :byodood:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Just had an absolutely amazing game. Like, just at every point in the game everyone did everything right. Everyone was rotating to Dreadnaw fights, the lanes went perfectly, just like the absolute best team game I've seen in my time in this game.

Then they used all their ults to kill two people and put them on 30 second death timers because our levels were so high and with a numbers advantage they got Zapdos and scored 400 points in the final thirty seconds of the game so none of it mattered. REALLY considering being done with this game

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Same except it's Lucario consistently punching me in the face for 50-60% of my Max HP with one skill

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Argh, why is the Crustle reward for the beginner mission set locked behind getting MVP

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Just Andi Now posted:

Argh, why is the Crustle reward for the beginner mission set locked behind getting MVP

Just do a cpu match. Check a few of my posts earlier for how to do one.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

It's the "block 1 goal" requirement that really has me scratching my head

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
block a goal means interrupt the goal scoring channel time

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Yeah I know that; the problem is in the execution

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
might need to find some real noobs to pull it off. I'm low in ranked and most matches have everyone with some idea of what they're doing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How do you play Greninja? Seems like he's an ADC style champ like Cinderace, huh? I thought he'd be more of a dash-in assassin like Lucario or Absol, but I tried him out last night and he's not anything like I expected -- just a single, relatively low-impact damaging ability, so I guess you just hang out around the edges of the fight shooting autoattacks and water shuriken?

Also, has anyone been playing more Attack Damage focused champs? I'm trying to figure out what item to get to 20 next and I can't decide whether to do Float Stone or Scope Lens for Charizard and Machamp and Cinderace. Or the wildcard Energy Amplifier. (Already did Muscle Band, I even run that one on the ranged SpAtk champs that I usually play.)

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Greninja is a weird hybrid assassin. Its charged melee attack is an execute that does more damage the lower your target's HP; Surf is the same and also resets its cooldown if you get a KO. Smokescreen hides you and gives you a charged basic. Its a weird pokemon to play, doesn't seem to fit in any particular role quite as well as Cinderace or Lucario. My impression of the playstyle is you chip down at range and then dive in with your kit to secure kills. The game is so teamfight centric though that it's hard to consistently do that without getting nuked... and Absol, Zerarora and the Speedsters are better at raw damage than you are.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Get Buddy Barrier to 20, a 40% HP shield for yourself AND a teammate is absolutely insane. For that group of three characters though, I kind of wish I knew more about the base crit% chance before I could genuinely recommend Scope Lens.

I will say though, I just looked over the math for Attack Weight and I think that item is probably very very good. It's 12 attack, stacks six times, plus 12 base Attack at level 20, so a total of 82 Attack if you can get all six dunks. Now, the question is, "is that a lot?"

Three Pokemon have attack stats in the 600-range. Zeraora at 650, and Talonflame and Absol both have 620. So, for them, the Attack Weight ends up being like, a 12% increase in attack, which is pretty big. The fourth highest attack? Garchomp at 500, which means the percentage jumps up to 16%. Cinderace and Machamp both have 479, Charizard has 463. Lucario only has 440 attack, so a maxed-out attack weight is pushing a 19% damage increase. Keep in mind, also, that these numbers are for each Pokemon at level 15, the max level. If you manage to get a few of these dunks in early? That percentage is going to go way, way up. This seems like a massive snowball opportunity and I think this item might be slept on.

Now, granted, you do have to actually get the dunks off, but I think if you just keep the numbers small, it'd be pretty easy to get off a few early. Or, if you're playing someone like Snorlax, just use your tankiness to your advantage and get a huge strength lead early. You'll definitely have to play around the item, but I think there's a ton to be gained from this

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

Also, has anyone been playing more Attack Damage focused champs? I'm trying to figure out what item to get to 20 next and I can't decide whether to do Float Stone or Scope Lens for Charizard and Machamp and Cinderace. Or the wildcard Energy Amplifier. (Already did Muscle Band, I even run that one on the ranged SpAtk champs that I usually play.)

As far as I know, Float Stone only kicks in when you've been out of combat for six seconds, which is almost as much time as it takes to walk from top lane to bottom lane, so it might be better to pick another item? I know Buddy Barrier/Score Shield are just generically good on everyone.

Maybe go with Energy Amplifier? 20% increased damage is massive, or you could try Attack Weight (scaling attack on dunks)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Xad posted:

As far as I know, Float Stone only kicks in when you've been out of combat for six seconds, which is almost as much time as it takes to walk from top lane to bottom lane, so it might be better to pick another item? I know Buddy Barrier/Score Shield are just generically good on everyone.

Maybe go with Energy Amplifier? 20% increased damage is massive, or you could try Attack Weight (scaling attack on dunks)

I've got Muscle Band, Wise Glasses, Shell Bell, Buddy Barrier, and Focus Band all up to 20 already, which covers most of the Pokemon I use. I've been running Muscle Band/Buddy Barrier/Focus Band on the attack damage champs, just trying to decide on a second offensive item for them. I see Float Stone on a lot of high level players, but I dunno if people don't realize the OOC movement speed takes so long to kick in, or whether they think the base MS and attack damage on it makes it worthwhile anyway.

I'm not terribly sold on the items that give you stats when you score, though. If I'm winning lane, then I can probably get an easy 2-3 baskets in the first few minutes and it seems like they'd be really powerful... except those are games that I tend to win anyway, since I'm already winning the lane. And in closer games, it tends to be really hard to score baskets and then I've got a blank item for a game where I need every advantage. (I'd love to experiment with Attack Weight/SP Glasses and Score Shield to see how easy it makes scoring, but it's discouraging that I'd have to buy them and probably pump them to at least level 10 just to play around with them.)

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 5, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, that's been my problem with attack weight. Win more when you're winning, doesn't help you when you're losing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Phenotype posted:

How do you play Greninja? Seems like he's an ADC style champ like Cinderace, huh? I thought he'd be more of a dash-in assassin like Lucario or Absol, but I tried him out last night and he's not anything like I expected -- just a single, relatively low-impact damaging ability, so I guess you just hang out around the edges of the fight shooting autoattacks and water shuriken?

greninja owns. I just autoattack, throw down smokescreen, then pop up with my ninja star strafe, rinse repeat.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, that's been my problem with attack weight. Win more when you're winning, doesn't help you when you're losing

It really helps if you have a dash pokemon, get just one mouse kill, goal 1 pt, get another mouse kill, 1pt and get a couple quick stacks. I do this with Cinderace and it helps snowball since the 1pt dunk is quick.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It really helps if you have a dash pokemon, get just one mouse kill, goal 1 pt, get another mouse kill, 1pt and get a couple quick stacks. I do this with Cinderace and it helps snowball since the 1pt dunk is quick.

Yeah this is also why score shield helps, since it gives you a small shield while scoring and you can't be interrupted until the shield breaks, so it's not that useful late game but absolutely helps sneak goals earlier since they can't just auto you once to stop it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Xad posted:

Yeah this is also why score shield helps, since it gives you a small shield while scoring and you can't be interrupted until the shield breaks, so it's not that useful late game but absolutely helps sneak goals earlier since they can't just auto you once to stop it

Does score shield have a cool down? I'm not sure how it's mechanic works.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Does score shield have a cool down? I'm not sure how it's mechanic works.

https://www.serebii.net/pokemonunite/holditems/scoreshield.shtml

According to serebii it's 6 seconds

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Yeah, it was a quick battle where my side dominated quickly, but still. Venusaur owns.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

So here are the recommended builds from the rank 1 team:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUnite/comments/oz3qos/builds_for_every_meta_pokemon_by_the_actual_rank/

quote:

Pikachu
BUDDY BARRIER / ENERGY AMP / WISE GLASSES
Cramorant
Gengar
Gardevoir
Venusaur
BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND/ WISE GLASSES
Slowbro
BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND/ WISE GLASSES
Alolan Ninetales
BUDDY BARRIER / MUSCLE BAND / FOCUS BAND
Cinderace
MUSCLE BAND/ BUDDY BARRIER/ SCOPE LENS
Greninja
MUSCLE BAND/ BUDDY BARRIER/ SCOPE LENS
Eldegoss
BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND / EXP SHARE
Machamp
SCORE SHIELD / BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND
Snorlax
SCORE SHIELD / BUDDY BARRIER / FOCUS BAND
Lucario
SCORE SHIELD / SCOPE LENS / FOCUS BAND

Buddy Barrier on literally everyone except Lucario, Energy Amp on a lot more pokemon than I would have guessed, and no Shell Bell or Float Stone -- he specifically calls those two out in the post as not worth leveling.

I'm not a good enough player that I make a habit of second-guessing the top players, but I still think it makes sense to take slightly more offensive items in lower ranked games -- I always take Muscle Band on Snorlax and Eldegoss and Machamp, for instance -- because I don't trust my low ranked teammates nearly as much as he trusts his static ranked team, and it helps to be able to win fights when your teammates are being useless.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Truly skilled players should try to win with their favorites.

At least that’s my excuse because it’ll be a long-rear end time before I get multiple items to L20. Though I’m not really using those tickets anyway…

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Phenotype posted:

So here are the recommended builds from the rank 1 team:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonUnite/comments/oz3qos/builds_for_every_meta_pokemon_by_the_actual_rank/

Buddy Barrier on literally everyone except Lucario, Energy Amp on a lot more pokemon than I would have guessed, and no Shell Bell or Float Stone -- he specifically calls those two out in the post as not worth leveling.

I'm not a good enough player that I make a habit of second-guessing the top players, but I still think it makes sense to take slightly more offensive items in lower ranked games -- I always take Muscle Band on Snorlax and Eldegoss and Machamp, for instance -- because I don't trust my low ranked teammates nearly as much as he trusts his static ranked team, and it helps to be able to win fights when your teammates are being useless.

TL;DR - The high ranked players love
Score shield
Buddy Barrier
Focus band
Energy Amplifier
Wise Glasses

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Wait, the score items keep the stat bonuses through the whole fight? For some reason, I thought they were just timed buffs. I'll have to give them another look

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I decided to try putting my proverbial money (I didn't spend any actual money) where my mouth is with regard to Attack Weight. I spent enough coins to level it up to level 20, and started playing nothing but top Cinderace in ranked. I started this morning at Veteran 1, zero stars. I went 19 wins, 5 losses, got all the way up to Veteran 5, 3 starts, one win away from Expert.

It's much easier than I thought to sneak in goals. When the enemies both go to contest the middle creep, just walk around and score and use your dash and blink to escape if they come after you. If they realize what you're doing, it can actually be pretty advantageous to force them in a position where they have to care about stopping you from scoring four points or something. All of a sudden, they have to reconsider contesting creeps that are too far away from their bubble, meaning your teammate can just snag them. You only need six, and you should usually get a free one at the beginning, so you just need to squeeze out five goals. If your jungler ever comes top and kills them, you can usually get two, Rotom is a free goal usually, winning Dreadnaw can easily result in a goal - it's not too hard to get the boost going.

Now I am on a nine-game loss stream and it makes me want to go loving insane and swear off not only video games forever but also electricity entirely and move into the woods and live off of the land I've never been so mad in my entire life why wont anybody do Zapdos Im loving begging you

e: ten game loss streak I have lost at least six of these games because I have four teammates doing Zapdos and one jerking off somewhere on the map it doesnt make any sense to be and someone on the enemy team comes in and does a single attack and snipes Zapdos and you instalose off of that. This is absolutely loving infuriating because you can attack him from outside the pit. In Dota, if you kill rosh you get the bonus gold, but the Aegis and Cheese/Refresher/Aghs are the real prizes, and it's much much harder to steal those. In this game you can turn a losing game if you manage to just killsteal one single enemy. I loving hate Zapdos

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 6, 2021

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I don't want to do Zapdos because I'm too worried about frying my junk.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

e: ten game loss streak I have lost at least six of these games because I have four teammates doing Zapdos and one jerking off somewhere on the map it doesnt make any sense to be and someone on the enemy team comes in and does a single attack and snipes Zapdos and you instalose off of that. This is absolutely loving infuriating because you can attack him from outside the pit. In Dota, if you kill rosh you get the bonus gold, but the Aegis and Cheese/Refresher/Aghs are the real prizes, and it's much much harder to steal those. In this game you can turn a losing game if you manage to just killsteal one single enemy. I loving hate Zapdos

This is a lesson for real life, it doesn't matter who does the most work, it's all about who gets the credit for the work.

This is why you will never be a Pokemon Master.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I threw away a really good game on Charizard because my team, myself included, trickled in one by one into the zapdos fight and got facerolled by the enemy team. I think I'm definitely going to have to get on a chat and start co-ordinating now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I don't mind people loving around on Zapdos as much because it doesn't seem as personal. What seems even worse is when I gank bot at 7min, we get a cool double kill and smash their goal down, and then I ping "I need backup!" as I go down to Dredmaw, and these useless fucks ignore me entirely so they can wander further down the lane to the enemy's inner goal and accomplish nothing at all. Then when they invariably get overwhelmed trying to fish for kills under the enemy goal, the survivors lead the enemies all the way back to where I'm doing Dredmaw, forcing me to retreat and handing Dredmaw to the other team.

I swear to god this pattern repeats itself every other game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Never do Drednaw without protection.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The game rewards you for going for MVPs, so it wants you to be selfish and maximize your own gains to the detriment of you team’s. You still get MVP if your team loses, after all! Hell, I got a MVP for scoring a measly ten points because no one else on my team scored anything that game. Plus winning as a team is basically a coin flip anyway, either you start with excellent team synergy or you don’t and the other team probably does. You’re just grinding time more than anything until you get those team wins.

The lesson of Pokemon Unite is that teamwork is a filthy lie. It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, all that matters is where you end up. Pokemon Unite is a libertarian utopia, where the illusion of teamwork lets the selfish prosper while the selfless falter and get exploited. If you want to succeed in the game, you have to sacrifice part of your inner humanity and accept you have to hurt others to put yourself ahead.

Right now, I’m happy sacrificing the advancement of my own goals and letting random teammates I’ll never see again score bigger goals just to win a short-term battle. I feel once you get beyond that, you’ve already lost the game and there’s no fun to be had anymore unless you get off on making others suffer, in which case Pokemon Unite is an excellent game for you…except you can’t even enjoy the wailings and misery of those you inflict suffering on due to the lack of chat options.

Thus Pokemon Unite is only a good game for the truly selfless, as the selfish will find no fulfillment and will instead realize the emptiness of their lives. If you want personal gain, Pokemon Unite will make you unhappy and miserable. Only through pure teamwork and selflessness can you properly enjoy Pokemon Unite and accept a beautiful utopia of love and understanding that unfortunately must never be in this world.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

The game rewards you for going for MVPs, so it wants you to be selfish and maximize your own gains to the detriment of you team’s. You still get MVP if your team loses, after all! Hell, I got a MVP for scoring a measly ten points because no one else on my team scored anything that game. Plus winning as a team is basically a coin flip anyway, either you start with excellent team synergy or you don’t and the other team probably does. You’re just grinding time more than anything until you get those team wins.

The lesson of Pokemon Unite is that teamwork is a filthy lie. It doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, all that matters is where you end up. Pokemon Unite is a libertarian utopia, where the illusion of teamwork lets the selfish prosper while the selfless falter and get exploited. If you want to succeed in the game, you have to sacrifice part of your inner humanity and accept you have to hurt others to put yourself ahead.

Right now, I’m happy sacrificing the advancement of my own goals and letting random teammates I’ll never see again score bigger goals just to win a short-term battle. I feel once you get beyond that, you’ve already lost the game and there’s no fun to be had anymore unless you get off on making others suffer, in which case Pokemon Unite is an excellent game for you…except you can’t even enjoy the wailings and misery of those you inflict suffering on due to the lack of chat options.

Thus Pokemon Unite is only a good game for the truly selfless, as the selfish will find no fulfillment and will instead realize the emptiness of their lives. If you want personal gain, Pokemon Unite will make you unhappy and miserable. Only through pure teamwork and selflessness can you properly enjoy Pokemon Unite and accept a beautiful utopia of love and understanding that unfortunately must never be in this world.

source your quotes

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Pokemon is about friendship, afterall

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

My team had Zeraora and Cinderace both jungling and pinging each other to retreat. I had to try and hold bottom against a super aggressive Greninja and Crustle who were only going after the mobs on my side of the lane so I couldn’t get xp. Top lane of Lucario and Garchomp was losing hard to Charizard and Pikachu.

We hadn’t scored a single goal by the time Zapdos’s countdown had started so I said gently caress it and just started picking up leftover xp from the field and backdooring some points.

The bad teams in this game are so much worse than any moba I’ve ever played. This game was actually kind of fun though because my team was obviously incompetent from the get go so I started playing my own game, just waiting for my chance to sneak my way into goals with Slowbro.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Phenotype posted:

I don't mind people loving around on Zapdos as much because it doesn't seem as personal. What seems even worse is when I gank bot at 7min, we get a cool double kill and smash their goal down, and then I ping "I need backup!" as I go down to Dredmaw, and these useless fucks ignore me entirely so they can wander further down the lane to the enemy's inner goal and accomplish nothing at all. Then when they invariably get overwhelmed trying to fish for kills under the enemy goal, the survivors lead the enemies all the way back to where I'm doing Dredmaw, forcing me to retreat and handing Dredmaw to the other team.

In my games people are still absolutely obsessed with loving around under the enemy goals, but at this point as soon as Dreadnaw spawns every person in the game runs bottom for a huge fight, or at least everyone on one team (the eventual winning team)

This is why Im guessing Buddy Barrier and Energy Amplifier are the top-level items. I've given up on mentally keeping track of how many games are won by a single fight because it's basically every game, so an item that doesn't help you for the rest of the game isn't a big loss because the rest of the game doesn't matter - the only moments of the game that actually matter are the ones where you'd bother using your ult to secure Dreadnaw/Zapdos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Never do Drednaw without protection.

It's always the same things that go through my head, too: "Well, at least they're keeping the enemy away from Drednaw, right?" or "I'm sure they'll peel off and come help once they realize they can't get any kills and/or see me constantly pinging for backup" and then, sadly, "surely they won't run directly here when they get beaten up, right? They'll lead the enemy to the middle or something and not directly here to steal the objective?"