Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Sir Lemming posted:

So I've been on a quest to gather everything I need to make a Ramos Gin Fizz. The thing that has been eluding me was orange blossom water. So today I finally went to an Indian grocery to pick some up. And that's when I also found almond syrup. Orgeat has been another elusive ingredient on my list. What I'm trying to figure out is, is this a close substitute? I've read that orgeat needs to have actual almond extract instead of just "flavor", so this ingredient list doesn't necessarily bode well...

"Sugar, water, almond flavor, citric acid, sodium benzoate"

I'm thinking it might still be a good substitute regardless, but I figured I'd ask and find out if I'm way off base.

Ingredient list photo:
https://i.imgur.com/7LR2kcb.jpg

https://www.liberandcompany.com/pro...0xoCUA8QAvD_BwE

Highly recommend Liber & Co Orgeat. Yeah it's not hard to make yourself but it's also just pretty cheap to order online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you're drinking Manhattans I strongly recommend trying a Fourth Regiment:

1.5 oz Rye
1.5 oz Sweet Vermouth
1 dash orange bitters
1 dash ango
1 dash celery

It's pretty hard to go back to drinking regular manhattans once you try one. So much so that we've considered just making all our house manhattans with this recipe and not telling anyone unless they ask.

Suggestions on a celery replacement here? I could just leave it out but figured I'd ask

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

vlad3217 posted:

Suggestions on a celery replacement here? I could just leave it out but figured I'd ask

Its referring to celery bitters, and there isn't a replacement. They're 10 bux on Amazon

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Its referring to celery bitters, and there isn't a replacement. They're 10 bux on Amazon

I knew it was bitters but having never had them wasn't sure if there was something similar. I'll keep an eye out next time I hit the liquor store

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah wow this is good as gently caress

I love the idea of a goon library for Mixel btw

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Can anyone recommend cool things to make with coconut cream? I need to use the rest of mine up. I've been making Painkillers and variations on piña coladas, I want more options.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My partner really likes Leilani Volcano's smuggler cove style. I like them as well but tend to make mine a bit less sweet.

Carillon posted:

Bitter mai tai would love some crushed ice in the finished glass! Otherwise I've been making a lot of Lelani Volcano 2.0's for my partner who loves guava. Adapted from the smuggler's cove book:

2 oz guava nectar
1oz cream of coconut
1.5 oz pineapple juice
.75 oz lime juice
2 oz rum

add ~1 oz seltzer to a collins or tiki glass with crushed ice

shake it up and pour over the ice/seltzer.

It's really good!

Carillon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 4, 2021

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I want to try chocolate bitters, is there a goon favorite? Amazon has Fee Bros for $10, but I remember people saying their orange bitters were so-so.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
People praise Scrappy’s in here pretty regularly. Bittermens mole bitters are pretty nice, but a little more limited in their use case due to their more particular flavor profile.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Scrappy’s and Angostura both make excellent chocolates.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Who makes the best celery bitters? Not normally something I'd be interested in but I'd like to try that Fourth Regiment everyone was just raving about.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I think Scrappy’s is considered the standard for celery. I like my bottle anyway.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

A God drat Ghost posted:

Can anyone recommend cool things to make with coconut cream? I need to use the rest of mine up. I've been making Painkillers and variations on piña coladas, I want more options.

Speaking of Painkillers, can I use Liquid Alchemist Coconut Syrup to replace the Cream of coconut or is that not the same thing?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So I was sort of on autopilot while making a Lion's Tail and I used Carta Blanca rum instead of bourbon. It's really good though! But surely this must have a name. Any ideas?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So I was sort of on autopilot while making a Lion's Tail and I used Carta Blanca rum instead of bourbon. It's really good though! But surely this must have a name. Any ideas?

Jasper’s Jamaican

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Just picked up a bottle of green chartreuse for $40. Any recommendations? I never used it before.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Probably the most popular way to use it in the last 15 years is a Last Word: gin, green chartreuse, maraschino, and lime, shaken, served up. Traditionally equal parts but I prefer backing off on the maraschino and lime a bit.

Also good and classic is a Bijou: gin, sweet vermouth, green chartreuse, couple dashes of orange bitters, stirred, up. Some people go equal parts on this one too but more recipes do 2:1:1 and I think that's better.

My favorite less-popular green chartreuse drink is a Castaway, from Liloliho in SF: manzanilla sherry with a little salted falernum and a dash or two of green chartreuse in it.

Edit: It's also delicious in hot cocoa once that's seasonally appropriate, and don't be afraid to sip a shot straight after dinner (or throw in a little ice if it's too hot for you).

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Thank you! I have the ingredients for the first two so I will definitely give those a try.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

Jasper’s Jamaican

Ah, perfect. Thanks!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Think I hosed up my milk punch. I used a Punch magazine recipe because I figured they knew their stuff, and they instructed me to pour the milk into my rum mixture. Didn’t curdle much. Now every other recipe I look at is stressing that you need to pour your rum mixture into the milk.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah I've always read you want to add the punch to the milk. This is my go to when I'm thinking of hot/cold, milk first or last, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought Punch magazine was of the “Punch & Judy” punches

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Booties posted:

Thank you! I have the ingredients for the first two so I will definitely give those a try.

Also if you like caipirinha variations, this idea seemed to go over well:

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's pretty heady, but the sugar and lime does a good job of cutting it. Besides I actually quite like Chartreuse just on its own, though a little does go a long way.

(that's after I'd already drunk a bit)

Usually I'm happy enough just going the cachaça route, but this time I thought I'd change it up, and green Chartreuse does go nicely with lime, so it seemed a good fit. (Plus it's already green.) But yeah, sub it all. Apparently there are lots of variants where you fully sub in vodka or rum or even Campari.

Just be sure to use fine sugar and muddle out all the juice from the limes so it fully dissolves before you top it up (large grain sugar just sits there mocking you), and then you gotta do one of those "stir with ice in it" maneuvers which is hard to do gracefully. You don't want it to be incompletely mixed with this one.

(I still do this pretty frequently)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Carillon posted:

Yeah I've always read you want to add the punch to the milk. This is my go to when I'm thinking of hot/cold, milk first or last, etc.

We were able to salvage it by letting it set overnight, then running it through a nut milk bag, followed by a coffee filter.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

obi_ant posted:

Speaking of Painkillers, can I use Liquid Alchemist Coconut Syrup to replace the Cream of coconut or is that not the same thing?

They're not the same thing. "Coconut cream" usually means a can of unsweetened cream of coconut like from the grocery store. Thick and not super sweet.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Agree that coconut syrup and coconut cream are not the same thing, but I think in a cocktails context "coconut cream" usually refers to a sweetened product, like Coco Lopez. (In like Thai cooking though, yeah, "coconut cream" means unsweetened.)

Also op, I'm not familiar with the Liquid Alchemist coconut syrup but if it's not for a Painkiller I have no idea how you'd use it. Looks like their website even suggests using it in a Painkiller. Try it!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I make something I call coconut syrup that is just equal parts coconut water, pineapple juice and sugar. I add half an oz or so to a couple oz of rum and bitters to taste for a tropical old fashioned sort of thing.

Come to think, of it I should probably call it tropical syrup because unsurprisingly the pineapple comes through way more than the coconut.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, "cream of coconut" is very different from "coconut cream" unless you're looking at a recipe written by someone who doesn't know the difference.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

just the other day I made a pina colada with unsweetened coconut cream and it was undrinkable :downs:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

On this topic, the punch I made was a clarified Piña Colada milk punch. I was making it as a gift for someone who isn’t super into spirits, so I wanted something mild and sweet, and something I could make at home and take to a host out of state.

It’s weird. I didn’t expect an authentic taste, because the recipe substitutes coconut water for coco lopez (probably can’t clarify the lopez.) But it doesn’t taste like a cocktail at all. It’s like a lighter pineapple juice. And yet, it definitely has 3 oz of liquor per glass.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I accidentally made an old fashioned with salt instead of sugar once. Pretty much the same thing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I just made this milk punch for my partners birthday and it was a big hit. Looking back at it I think you could streamline the liquor selection, I think you could get away with doubling the arrack and losing the mezcal, and the absinthe is really subtle, but overall it's quite nice. It's one of the more complex punches I've made and I think you really do get some fruit loops taste. I also modified it by combining the extra lemon juice with the punch and just pouring it all into cool milk given what we're talking about here about successfully clarifying punch.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Help, I bought grappa.

Does anyone have good ideas for what I do with the rest of the bottle? I have considered burning it, using it to clean glass and/or secretly pouring it into people's glasses for giggles.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The Cocktail Thread: help, I bought grappa

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Missing Name posted:

Help, I bought grappa.

Does anyone have good ideas for what I do with the rest of the bottle? I have considered burning it, using it to clean glass and/or secretly pouring it into people's glasses for giggles.

Yeah, not a lot of drinks want grappa. I'd try negroni variations, or try soaking various herbs/barks/peels in it and make your own amaro.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's pretty heady, but the sugar and lime does a good job of cutting it. Besides I actually quite like Chartreuse just on its own, though a little does go a long way.

(that's after I'd already drunk a bit)

Usually I'm happy enough just going the cachaça route, but this time I thought I'd change it up, and green Chartreuse does go nicely with lime, so it seemed a good fit. (Plus it's already green.) But yeah, sub it all. Apparently there are lots of variants where you fully sub in vodka or rum or even Campari.

Just be sure to use fine sugar and muddle out all the juice from the limes so it fully dissolves before you top it up (large grain sugar just sits there mocking you), and then you gotta do one of those "stir with ice in it" maneuvers which is hard to do gracefully. You don't want it to be incompletely mixed with this one.

Thank you for bumping this recipe, this has quickly become one of my favorite cocktails of all time. Citrus and chartreuse are the main reasons I love last words and all their variations but I've never considered stripping away all the other stuff. To me this is similar to a Tommy's marg where I like the stripped down version more than the original.

Horn fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 9, 2021

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

On a whim, I threw a grappa thing together because holy poo poo. Some mint leaves muddled in teaspoon of sugar and half a lemon's juice. Shot of grappa, ice, top off with Pellegrino. Italian mojito?

It's not awful but definitely not top tier. Maybe I'm imagining it but it tastes more plum-y now.

Also I have kewda water from lassi experiments. It's a hard to describe floral essence that might go well with clear spirits (not grappa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Missing Name posted:

a grappa thing

definitely not top tier

Oh you don't say?