Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

Can anyone recommend anything similar to:
- Fury of Dracula
- Whitehall Mystery/Letters from Whitechapel
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

I'm pottering around in the background with a couple of board game ideas I'd like to prototype, and I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.
Also if there is any particular hidden movement mechanics you like seeing let me know.

Have you played Tragedy Looper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is the game I was talking about : https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26/age-renaissance

Doesn't look like there was a second edition. Long out of print but I might be able to get a cheap used copy.

For us it was a weakened Advanced Civ so we played it a couple of times (there's also something broken in it as well, but forgot what that was) and I sold it.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I really liked the fog spirit from the Jagged Earth expansion

I played it for the first time this previous week and I found it so much better than I was anticipating. I thought that the upkeep of damage was be troublesome, but it was smooth.

The game went so well (4 players with 2 new players in 2 hours) that I would have sworn I did something wrong if I did not have double digit plays.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

I'm pottering around in the background with a couple of board game ideas I'd like to prototype, and I'd like to see some more examples of 'hidden movement' on a map games.
Also if there is any particular hidden movement mechanics you like seeing let me know.

Others have mentioned these, but I thought I'd follow up with a bit of context:

* Nuns On The Run: is a game I like, while being one that is perhaps not a good game. There's a bunch of cleverness in there, in line of sights and visibility being encoded on the board, and the hunters (matrons) having to revert to their normal patrol path if they can't see anyone. Downside is that if a prey player (novice) gets caught, they effectively can't win the game. Still, worth a look.

* Spectre Ops: I think it can crumble if the prey player messes up, but it can be a lot of fun. One of the hunters has a car that they can use to move around the map fast, so there's none of that "the target must be way over there but we can't get to them". Think this is max 4 players, while Nuns & SO can handle a lot more

* Aliens From Outer Space: a pen and (preprinted) paper game, it's good but pretty much a multiplayer solo experience. But it's quick, so you can forgive a lot of faults

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

On a related note are there other games which do anything even vaguely similar to what High Frontier does because it sure would be nice to indulge my boyfriend's rocket fanaticism without Eklund being involved.

Hard disagree on that game being bad, but everyone to their own. There's nothing really quite like HF, but there's a certain number of other games that scratch adjacent itches:

* Spacecorps is a more abstract realization of similar ideas - gradual expansion outwards, industrialisation and colonisation, technological advance. For example, the game moves in epochs that leap the game forward to a new stage, based on where you were in the previous. I liked it.

* Others have mentioned Leaving Earth, which has that HF idea of joining different technologies to each other to make effective missions. It focuses on recent past / near future so the technology is fairly conservative. There's a fun failure and testing mechanism. Downside is there's a lot of sums to be done during the game, which might not be to everyone's taste.

* Stellar Horizon is the new kid on the block and is supposed to be ridiculously crunchy, with absurdly long games. I've eyed it up but haven't bitten the bullet.

* Rocketmen is good fun. Seems a lot more complicated at first than it actually is. It's not very crunchy, but it marries a bit of deck building to some push your luck to good effect. Like it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Some Numbers posted:

Have you played Tragedy Looper?

Seconding this, it's a fun game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nordichammer posted:

I played it for the first time this previous week and I found it so much better than I was anticipating. I thought that the upkeep of damage was be troublesome, but it was smooth.

The game went so well (4 players with 2 new players in 2 hours) that I would have sworn I did something wrong if I did not have double digit plays.

We turned towns onto any side if they're damaged, and cities onto any of the sides that leave them sitting square for one damage, and onto the face that leaves them sitting diagonaly for two damage. The damage thing might get annoying with higher level adversaries that increase building health.

I've almost seen every expansion spirit played now - I think there are two left that I've not at least had someone play with me (the really weird space ones). Though I don't have any of the special super secret promo pack ones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I will add Tragedy Looper and Hunt for the Ring to my groups playlist for the weekend.

I personally like the more 'traditional' point-to-point hidden movement games, like Hunt, but Looper looks fun as well.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

nonathlon posted:

Hard disagree on that game being bad, but everyone to their own.

I just hate the way that research works, also I'm not a fan of any game with make or break "lol you rolled a 1 your spaceship explodes" moments

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

RabidWeasel posted:

I just hate the way that research works, also I'm not a fan of any game with make or break "lol you rolled a 1 your spaceship explodes" moments

Galaxy Trucker is awesome though

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

A moment in board gaming that really made it worth it for me:

My dad, who’s not really a board gamer, being really happy at beating me for the first time at Baseball Highlights 2045 after we played 3-4 games, and being really hype about how close the matches were. I’ve tried other board games in the past but this is the first one that’s really captivated him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nordichammer posted:

For me I think part of what makes it fun is that keeping track of non-lethal damage is already a lot of fiddly bookkeeping you're supposed to do that rarely has any payoff (to the point that in solo games I rarely bother marking damaged pieces since I know what damage I have queued up and whether leftover chip damage will make any difference, but in larger games you kind of need to allocate it "just in case"), so Shroud takes this bookkeeping chore and makes it rewarding.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mayveena posted:

For us it was a weakened Advanced Civ so we played it a couple of times (there's also something broken in it as well, but forgot what that was) and I sold it.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping for a second edition.

I'm open to suggestions for cool similar games too.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

Granted. I feel they have game reasons or desirable effects, but they're also a bit ... incongruent? I don't mind them but they feel odd against the rest of the design.

Remembered another space game: Liftoff. Last I noticed, it was only in German but reviews seemed to be positive. Anyone played it?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Century Spice Road worked, I still like the game despite it definitely being on the somewhat bland market row mild economy shelf with splendor and the like. Also well received.

It's absolutely a bland resource conversion game... but I also get a ton of plays out of it and it always acquits itself well. It's super fast to teach, people are involved and jingling on their first play, rounds are over quickly, and it's very unintimidating (especially the Golem Edition). Only the mildest of confrontation, little potential for "bad feels" randomness, very little chance to misunderstand/miss rules. Unlikely that players will feel stalled/directionless/confused.

I can't see anyone "loving" this game, but it fills its niche very well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jmzero posted:

It's absolutely a bland resource conversion game... but I also get a ton of plays out of it and it always acquits itself well. It's super fast to teach, people are involved and jingling on their first play, rounds are over quickly, and it's very unintimidating (especially the Golem Edition). Only the mildest of confrontation, little potential for "bad feels" randomness, very little chance to misunderstand/miss rules. Unlikely that players will feel stalled/directionless/confused.

I can't see anyone "loving" this game, but it fills its niche very well.

Yeah, I hadn't pulled it out in a while, but I was moderately sure it would be enjoyed and as you said, the only real interaction is "I'm going to stall taking that goal until you make a decision on whether you get into position to get it, because that forces you to make subpar moves" and personally, I love "forcing moves" as interaction, it tends to result in tempo considerations being very important.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How did Quest turn out? I back the kickstarter but I moved to a different country so its still waiting for me to pick it up.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Snooze Cruise posted:

How did Quest turn out? I back the kickstarter but I moved to a different country so its still waiting for me to pick it up.

Surprisingly very good. Use the directors’s cut tules right out the box. The publishers changed the creator’s original vision but compromised by keeping in the DC as a separate rule sheet.

The designer said it took him 10 years of testing and fooling around to come up with something he felt was different enough from Avalon and worthy. I think he succeeded. It has an interesting logic puzzle at its core and it’s a lot faster than Avalon. Obviously I’m gonna have to play it a ton more to see if it holds up as well as Avalon but my entire Avalon loving groups initial impression is highly positive.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Yeah Captain Sonar has been on my pickup list for a while, but :lol: Pandemic :lol: and trying to organise a day for 8 players just isn't gonna happen anytime soon.

If it makes you feel better it can work at 6 but really shines at 8. We've been lucky and managed to get probably a half dozen so or more game nights where we were able to play it at full counts over the years I've owned it. Always a hit, especially if you've got critical mass of people who know how to play. God help you if everyone's new, although there's a lot of fun to be had there as well if you just accept people are going to make mistakes. I've heard the best way to play is with the First Mate being the one to check on all systems and let the captain know what's going on, almost like a real Navy hierarchy.

I swear if they re-themed it as Star Trek it would sell so hot and fast it might rip a tear in the space-time continuum.

EDIT: I've said this before but the PS1 Metal Gear Solid soundtrack is perfect music for the game too, I promise you this.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 6, 2021

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Everyone talks about Captain Sonar's real-time mode and the ridiculous hilarity that ensues, but definitely don't discount the turn-based mode which turns the game into a tense, Hunt for Red October-esque experience.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah I actually vastly prefer the turn based mode.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I should try turn based. I've played three games of realtime with a full 8 and every time, there was absolutely no desire to play another round. It's so chaotic and high energy that it's immediately exhausting.

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013
Anyone played Sonar or Sonar Family for smaller play counts? Or do you think Captain Sonar 4p is still better than either of those?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The smaller sonar games work quite well, I haven't tried adapting them to real time, but I like the tense cat and mouse of turn based in Captain as well.

How is My City with three players? I want to try a campaign with my parents, who are Not Gamers. It seems simple enough for them, so is the player count good? Is the eternal game effected by not having a board altered?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

Anyone played Sonar or Sonar Family for smaller play counts? Or do you think Captain Sonar 4p is still better than either of those?

I haven’t tried it, but someone told me you can play Sonar with the CS components?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

El Fideo posted:

The smaller sonar games work quite well, I haven't tried adapting them to real time, but I like the tense cat and mouse of turn based in Captain as well.

How is My City with three players? I want to try a campaign with my parents, who are Not Gamers. It seems simple enough for them, so is the player count good? Is the eternal game effected by not having a board altered?

I haven't looked at the eternal rules really so I can't comment there, but 3 is a totally fine player count. The game is overwhelmingly multiplayer solitaire (it's as much a roll'n'write as Tiny Towns is, basically) so the player count really doesnt matter, to the point where the TTS mod added components for extra players and it doesn't impact the game at all.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

Tim Fowers did a 2 player game called Fugitive that uses numbered cards as the locations.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197443/fugitive

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

Nuns on the Run

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thank you for all the Captain Sonar chat. Over the course of the pandemic my board game days have become increasingly popular to the point I wouldn't have to worry about filling all 8 slots.

Hell I'll probably be able to pickup Blood on the Clocktower without much worry about bums on seats for play.
Will probably wait until Sydney is on top of our current outbreak before grabbing, even though it's not slated until November (We'll still be in lockdown until Christmas at this point)

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Tim Fowers did a 2 player game called Fugitive that uses numbered cards as the locations.
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/197443/fugitive

I have this, and it's fantastic. It gets a bit of work out while waiting for other players to rock up.

The best thing is it comes in a little briefcase with a magnetic seal so it 'clips' shut :3:

Crackbone posted:

Nuns on the Run

My group couldn't get into this, but loved Clue: Great Museum Caper instead.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Countblanc posted:

I haven't looked at the eternal rules really so I can't comment there, but 3 is a totally fine player count. The game is overwhelmingly multiplayer solitaire (it's as much a roll'n'write as Tiny Towns is, basically) so the player count really doesnt matter, to the point where the TTS mod added components for extra players and it doesn't impact the game at all.

I just want to add that I've been in the same 3 player campaign and it works great. I was a bit sceptical going in because the starting rules are so simple, that I thought it would end up being quite dull, but it ramps up in a nice way so that after a few episodes it does become a decently challenging puzzle but there's never too much new stuff to remember.

There's very little player interaction, but you do get moments where a tile comes out and you groan while someone else cheers because it's the exact one they needed, or you all commiserate over terrible draws and your ugly disjointed cities, and one game is short enough that if it does go south it doesn't really matter plus you get a boost for the next round.

I've really been enjoying it so far.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I haven't seen anyone talk about Destinies and I just played a couple games this past week so here's the lowdown.

Destinies is a game where players (1-3) will pass & play an ipad or whatever to do their turns. Everything that happens in the app is public knowledge, so you're intended to read your turn results out loud to the other players, then end your turn & pass to the next player. If that's not your jam, Destinies won't be for you.

I'm the kind of guy that really dug Mansions of Madness 2e and I was very curious about Destinies, hoping it would do the same level of app-enabled play. It's similiar (build a map, mark points of interest) but uses fewer components overall & needs less space. This also means it's not an expensive game. It's very fast to set up & start playing.

Any game that crafts a written narrative lives or dies by the quality of its writing, not just from the events themselves but especially how well they do (or don't) fit together as a whole (*)

Destinies is (so far) well written! I'm happy to say that the first thing I did after reading the (private information) back of my character card was think "oh, that's interesting" and that kept up! It plays kind of like a dynamic & context-aware adventure game, but all the complexity is handled seamlessly by the app.

In short, they tried something and I think it worked.

(*) Narrative that is mixed with dynamic or random elements is easy to do badly because on one hand, the narrative wants to say something specific but on the other hand the "narrator" doesn't entirely control what happens where and when. As a result you can end up with awkward shifts in voice or tone, or confusing inconsistencies in narrative even if the underlying structure is sound, etc. Destinies does some clever things to get around these challenges, in addition to being written well.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 8, 2021

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

So for a different approach to hidden movement, you could take a look at one of the Halloween Nightmares Horrorgame Magazine games put out by Emperors of Eternal Evil, the guys what made Cave Evil. Its a series of polybag games designed to give off the feeling of a direct-to-video 80s slasher film.

There are four games in the series: Psycho Raiders, Freakface, Sea Evil, and Don't Let the Wolves Eat Your Baby.

They're crusty, intentionally unbalanced, and dripping with 80s game design ethos, so I can't speak to their quality as like. *Good* games? But they use an interesting variant of hidden movement where any character outside LOS can spawn "fake" copies that move independently to obscure which is the "real" character. And its a design idea I liked so much it formed the backbone of one of my current in progress designs.

You can order the first three games from store.cave-evil.com for $30 a pop or $75 in a bundle. Only the first two actually use the hidden movement mechanic though. (Sea Evil swaps that out for a clever but not on topic relative-movement system for ships and sea monsters.) The fourth game, Wolfbaby, is a free downloadable PNP they threw together for Fangoria magazine, and is kinda a stripped down taster menu for the other three.

All that said, fair warning--the games absolutely drip with gratuitous gore and shock-fodder, and is 100% a thing you should scout ahead on and check with your players about before busting any of them out. Also, I've mentioned it before, but the game isn't the best with depictions of racial minority characters--less in an "overt bile and footnotes" way but definitely in a "we regurgitate up the 80s grindhouse/exploitation cinema aesthetic verbatim with absolutely ZERO critical lens or tactful reappraisal" way.

https://twitter.com/gutterdaughter/status/1274468269865365504?s=21

Also: under absolutely no circumstance should you buy one of these games *instead of* Tragedy Looper. I don't think anyone should buy literally any other game until they have a copy of Tragedy Looper in their collection.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 9, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town is another twist on the hidden movement kind of idea. Very cool little unique puzzle/race game.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
tragedy looper is a good board game

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

If you want a fun hidden movement game with a gimmick then Nyctophobia is what you want.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Aramoro posted:

If you want a fun hidden movement game with a gimmick then Nyctophobia is what you want.

That is a clever game. I'm not sure it needs to be played often or even more than once, but it's so different to everything else.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

gutterdaughter posted:

But they use an interesting variant of hidden movement where any character outside LOS can spawn "fake" copies that move independently to obscure which is the "real" character.

This makes me think a bit of Lifeform, where there are multiple copies of the Lifeform for the purposes of doing hidden movement, within certain limits. If the Lifeform attacks or is otherwise spotted by crew then the wavefunction collapses and all other copies are discarded. Until the Lifeform gets out of sight, then multiple copies can spawn again.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm very excited because I just managed to snag Leaving Earth and both it's expansions on a facebook boardgame sale group. I know it's not out of print or anything, but the wait time can be 3+ months ordering it from the publisher and the shipping to Australia is pretty obscene so I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cracked open a box of C&C: Ancients that I got in a math trade a while back and forgot about.

Trip report: mostly easy to learn, and we're going to play every scenario in the box now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

So anyway.

- Fury of Dracula
- Scotland Yard
- Last Friday

It's been a while since you asked, and you would have a harder time prototyping it, but Stop Thief! also belongs on the list.