Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So sorry DH, I know he could be a poo poo head but Sparty stories have been one of the best parts of this thread. And lol I never realized cookie was in that picture.

Re: tooth brushing, I think the secret is the toothpaste. It's some chicken flavored stuff from Petco, nothing special. He absolutely loves it. I'd try sticking some on just your finger and seeing if you can just touch her teeth. Let her lick it all off. It's enzymatic, so I'm not even sure if the mechanical brushing does that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Aw Sparty :( You were a real one.

Hopefully having some warning makes it a tiny bit easier.

It does indeed. He's snoozing in his chair now, and we plan on spoiling him rotten in the next 24 hours with anything and everything

actionjackson posted:

edit: this is my favorite picture, I can't stop laughing. and that's before I realized cookie was below him
It's my favorite too, followed closely by these:

It means a lot too knowing how raw things still must be with Abby but I've really enjoyed seeing you getting started with Bailey :unsmith:

Also everyone else sharing stories and pictures, thanks. Seeing more long dogs helps

NomNomNom posted:

So sorry DH, I know he could be a poo poo head but Sparty stories have been one of the best parts of this thread. And lol I never realized cookie was in that picture.

Re: tooth brushing, I think the secret is the toothpaste. It's some chicken flavored stuff from Petco, nothing special. He absolutely loves it. I'd try sticking some on just your finger and seeing if you can just touch her teeth. Let her lick it all off. It's enzymatic, so I'm not even sure if the mechanical brushing does that much.

Sparty being a shot head was always in jest or tongue in cheek, he was frustrating sometimes but I don't think I've ever been mad at him, it was usually just bemused exasperation.

And yeah the flavored toothpastes seem to help. While sparty wasn't excited about brushing teeth he didn't mind it. It usually let him lick off a blob at the end as a reward

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 5, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My favourite Sparty picture is him looking completely miserable in fancy dress as a bus.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

david_a posted:

Hang in there Sparty dude

How did you get him to like tooth brushing? I attempt to brush Katie’s teeth almost every day, but I can only really do her canines and maybe her front teeth. She just starts backing away from me. She does get a dental chew of various kinds every day for lunch but I don’t know how much those things really do.

Is there anything that happened recently that might have caused Watson’s behavior to change?

Our dog very much likes this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z1BSJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And will tolerate having his teeth brushed in exchange for the toothpaste. He also liked the mint flavour too, which was surprising.

Sorry to hear about Sparty, Darkhorse. :smith:

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 5, 2022

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Sparty :(

My deepest condolences.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

My favourite Sparty picture is him looking completely miserable in fancy dress as a bus.

He was very sad to be a bus

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

DarkHorse posted:

You might say… he’s Spartabus

DarkHorse I am so sad to hear about Sparty, we all love him so much. As others have said he’s an incredible dog and it’s been wonderful to hear about him being a big goober and see his goobery photos. I’m sure you feel awful right now, but I know you will make the best of his last hours. It’s good that he will be able to go at home with the people he loves. You gave him a very good life!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I was fond of the “weird chair goblin” picture myself

I use this exact kind in chicken flavor. She likes the paste, just not the brushing! I’ve started giving her treats during the process (I usually go two rounds, one for each side) which helps her get interested, but she just wants to back out of the whole “weird brush thing in my mouth” business.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I also use the enzymatic chicken flavor toothpaste

no Bailey in this pic but hmmmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie just used my broken toe as a launching pad for a zoomie :cry:

It was healing good, despite her insistence on walking like 5 miles a day (no respect!)

actionjackson posted:

lol

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

actionjackson posted:

I also use the enzymatic chicken flavor toothpaste

Sat there looking for Bailey, convinced she was camouflaged, then I realized that wait, dog beds don't usually have shoes in them

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DarkHorse posted:

This is the best! :neckbeard:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey decided to nibble on the corner of my nightstand. thankfully it's a lovely ikea one that I'm going to replace with something nice soon, but I have some very nice furniture that I do NOT want to get damaged. I'm probably going to crate whenever I'm gone for more than like, ten minutes. Any got other ideas to avoid the furniture nibbling? I know sometimes people spray scented stuff that they don't like to repel them.

She also got spooked by a loud noise on the walk this morning, after that she randomly just freezes outside. In the early evening, even using treats, I couldn't get her to go more than 20 feet outdoors before she refused to go anywhere but back in - after which she peed on the floor.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 6, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Bailey decided to nibble on the corner of my nightstand. thankfully it's a lovely ikea one that I'm going to replace with something nice soon, but I have some very nice furniture that I do NOT want to get damaged. I'm probably going to crate whenever I'm gone for more than like, ten minutes. Any got other ideas to avoid the furniture nibbling? I know sometimes people spray scented stuff that they don't like to repel them.

She also got spooked by a loud noise on the walk this morning, after that she randomly just freezes outside. In the early evening, even using treats, I couldn't get her to go more than 20 feet outdoors before she refused to go anywhere but back in - after which she peed on the floor.

Redirection of nibbling to good chew toys can help. Chewing furniture is usually a sign of boredom You may have to experiment with different materials and textures. Spartacus only liked big and soft things if they weren't flavored chews, but some dogs might like hard and rubbery, ropy, canvas, or other types

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

Redirection of nibbling to good chew toys can help. Chewing furniture is usually a sign of boredom You may have to experiment with different materials and textures. Spartacus only liked big and soft things if they weren't flavored chews, but some dogs might like hard and rubbery, ropy, canvas, or other types

she has like ten toys around, though I had removed some of them, so maybe she was mad at me. Definitely going to get some different types, as these are all the standard fabric squeaker ones.

please give sparty a hug for me

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Was confused what thread I was in, did not expect to see another hurdy gurdy aficionado!

(Sparty news)

Hah, well that's a coincidence and a half! Do you post in any particular threads, about hurdy gurdies? I'm not sure if I should make one (with the risk of it being dead on arrival) or post in like, a 'bowed instruments' thread or something...I dunno.

In any case, I'm so so sorry to hear that about Sparty! That's absolutely terrible to hear. :( I'll be giving Taz and Opal a big hug when I get home tonight, that's for sure. Argh, just terrible news - I'm sorry to hear that yet another thread member is having to go through all this.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

since you mentioned pics, here's Abby several weeks before I adopted her

she had such amazing black features on her face, especially around her eyes. many people asked me if I put mascara on her!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 6, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

since you mentioned pics, here's Abby several weeks before I adopted her

she had such amazing black features on her face, especially around her eyes. many people asked me if I put mascara on her!

We always joke about sparty having eyeliner, he sometimes looks like he has Eye of Horus lines. His muzzle was amazingly black when we first got him, he honestly looks strange to me in those old photos like he's someone else's dog

Major Isoor posted:

Hah, well that's a coincidence and a half! Do you post in any particular threads, about hurdy gurdies? I'm not sure if I should make one (with the risk of it being dead on arrival) or post in like, a 'bowed instruments' thread or something...I dunno.

In any case, I'm so so sorry to hear that about Sparty! That's absolutely terrible to hear. :( I'll be giving Taz and Opal a big hug when I get home tonight, that's for sure. Argh, just terrible news - I'm sorry to hear that yet another thread member is having to go through all this.

I've wondered the same thing about gurdies, I think a thread on how weird they are, plus their long historical record, plus the mini renaissance they're having would provide fodder for people to comment. I wanted to have a line something like "if a violin and a piano had a drunken threesome with a music box" in it

I'd been giving sparty great big hugs and kisses every time I heard about someone else's bad news so in a way it helped prepare me for this day. It's just way sooner and faster than I expected, but at least we get to prepare and we can mostly absorb the expense. He's doing pretty well all things considered; I wish he had more appetite and wasn't clearly feeling crappy but we went for a short walk and he got up to a nice trot and clearly enjoyed himself even if he got weak quickly. He used to go on five mile runs with my spouse, strangely high energy and stamina for a greyhound

Also it's totally in keeping with Spartacus' past behavior that he'd get super hypercancer that laughed at chemo and expensive emergency surgery. No pedestrian osteosarcoma for our special boy, he's gotta go for the gold!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

I guess I know what Katie will look like in the future lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Got into the shower this morning, gave Bailey a pile of toys, but in those ten minutes she decided to discover my headphones under my nightstand. Thankfully it was only visual damage, but I feel like I'm even going to need to crate her for that time, at least for now. I don't what percentage of this is her young age, her hoarding thing, anxiety of a new place, etc. I'm also wondering if the tub water initially turning on scares her a bit as she's sensitive to loud noises.

I'm going to really focus on the crate, right now I have her in it while I'm home, and she's doing very well. Putting it in the entry also helps because I can keep it pretty dark in there.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 6, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

I'd been giving sparty great big hugs and kisses every time I heard about someone else's bad news so in a way it helped prepare me for this day. It's just way sooner and faster than I expected, but at least we get to prepare and we can mostly absorb the expense. He's doing pretty well all things considered; I wish he had more appetite and wasn't clearly feeling crappy but we went for a short walk and he got up to a nice trot and clearly enjoyed himself even if he got weak quickly. He used to go on five mile runs with my spouse, strangely high energy and stamina for a greyhound

Also it's totally in keeping with Spartacus' past behavior that he'd get super hypercancer that laughed at chemo and expensive emergency surgery. No pedestrian osteosarcoma for our special boy, he's gotta go for the gold!

We all love Spartacus so much. You gave him a wonderful life, the best any dog could hope for, and we all enjoyed hearing about his wacky adventures. The thing that helped the most for me is mourning - I talked about Abby with everyone, both online and in person. I read that grief is the internal process, and mourning is the external. Everyone does the former, but not everyone does the latter (at least not enough).

I hope you will find that talking about Sparty and his hilarious stories brings some comfort to you after he's gone. Be strong today, for him.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Re: Bailey, don't rush to give her too much freedom too quickly. Track life was highly regimented and these hounds with their little walnut brains can't process freedom. Let her see what the daily routine is like from inside the safety of her crate. Our adoption agency had us keep Watson in the crate for the first 96 hours unless he was actively being walked. I think that did a lot of good; as I've said before he actively loves his crate.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

Re: Bailey, don't rush to give her too much freedom too quickly. Track life was highly regimented and these hounds with their little walnut brains can't process freedom. Let her see what the daily routine is like from inside the safety of her crate. Our adoption agency had us keep Watson in the crate for the first 96 hours unless he was actively being walked. I think that did a lot of good; as I've said before he actively loves his crate.

Just on the flip side of this, we kept Spartacus in his crate for the first 48hours and he was clearly miserable, we basically never used it after that. The dog will probably let you know what they feel comfortable with.

Two hours to go. Poor guy has been vomiting bile and straining to pee and obviously tired/nauseous, but otherwise ok. He's been getting pets most free moments and anything he wants (which has mostly been drinking out of the toilet :3: )

I love my big puff cheeked goofball and I'm going to miss him so much. I wish he wasn't feeling so crappy or had to wait so long

Edit:

He's so skinny :(

This is my Battle Cat, Greta. She's never done this before

Goodbye buddy. You're my Great Heart boy

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 6, 2021

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Poor guy. Thinking about you all today.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah, I wonder if Abby was just exceptional in this regard. She barked all day in the crate, so I got rid of it quickly, but she did just fine with free reign and never got into anything. She was also older though (3.5 years, Bailey is just over 2 years). I did put Bailey in her crate for like 45 minutes this morning with a bunch of toys and she did fine.

Oh god Spartacus :smith: I'm so sorry

WE LOVE YOU SPARTY!!!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 6, 2021

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

There’s definitely benefit to crating her if you’re going out especially if she already likes her crate, but the chewing/getting into things may also lessen over time. Rory was like that at first too, she had a taste for shoes and belts, but I don’t think I’ve seen her touch a pair of shoes in seven years (she was also pretty young, under two when I got her.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

There’s definitely benefit to crating her if you’re going out especially if she already likes her crate, but the chewing/getting into things may also lessen over time. Rory was like that at first too, she had a taste for shoes and belts, but I don’t think I’ve seen her touch a pair of shoes in seven years (she was also pretty young, under two when I got her.)

omg those ears. where did you get that leash?

I used a treat to get her back in. she's just chilling in there with the light off. You know the last few days she didn't get into anything while I showered, just played with her toys. I wonder if anxiety is a factor here, as she got really startled by a loud noise yesterday when walking, and kept freezing on our walks after that.

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
This is DarkHorse’s wife. Just wanted to share some of my favorite pictures of my best buddy. It’s clear today he’s very sick and tired and I’m just sad we have to make him wait a little longer to be at peace.

He and I and Cookie would run 3-5 miles together every two or three days. He was the best running buddy I could have asked for. He loved lying next to me at night when it was cold out and farting in my face. He loved pig’s ears and chews and big squishy toys. And I loved him so so much.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Just digging up my favorite Sparty pics :(

Seemed like the guy had an enormous personality. I’m glad I at least got to share in enjoying some pictures of him.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
He's gone.

Goodbye you weird little couch goblin. You were pretty great for a strange barking deer

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Aw, thinking of you guys. He sounded like an awesome dog. :smith:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m so sorry for both of you :sympathy: he seemed like the most fun boy, and brought so much joy to this thread so I can only imagine the joy he brought to your whole lives

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll miss you Spartacus!!!!! :smith:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Sparty was the reason I tried taking Watson on a run when we first got him. It did not go well. He refused to budge after 1 mile unless I was walking. As soon as I'd break into a jog he would statue.

Our adoption agency told us that greyhounds would be ill suited for an active and adventurous family, but I knew there was an exception out there: Spartacus!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

Goodbye buddy. You're my Great Heart boy

Saw this on r/greyhounds and came straight here. Teared up as soon as I saw it. Loved seeing videos of this dude over the years. Hope you guys are holding up.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Sparty was a unique dog, and your love for him shone through in every post. It's good to hear that he died at home with his best friends by his side.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

He truly was our favorite shithead :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

He was, right now I'm just picturing Abby and Spartacus together, Spartacus jumping all over the place being goofy, and Abby being like "wtf are you doing" because she didn't really care about other dogs, nor did she understand dogs doing stuff.

DarkHorse - please feel free to reach out anytime! I'd love to chat.

Bailey update, we had a big thunderstorm last night, the loudest bolt caused her to get up, but she went right into her crate and slept the rest of the night, no problems or accidents!! And she just went into her crate on her own just now. She's making great progress, seeing her crate as her "cool safe space" with toys and treats. I did get her a rope toy, a Nylabone, and a Benebone. We visited my friends who have the two greyhounds, and have a yard. She didn't run at all, but she did great with the humans and greyhounds. I'm having the woman who fostered Abby come over today, she also does training so we will work on a few things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
He's figuring out this pregnancy pillow thing