Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Peanut President posted:

that was petra iirc

Yeah in the movie; in reality all the "buildings" carved at Petra are facades for tombs

The big famous one is all hosed up at the top because there's a part that looks like a vase and some occupying army or another shot at it thinking treasure would fall out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

looks like there was a bigger entryway or statues around the door of this one that are gone now too

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/evrythingcounts/status/1423133250415910920?s=21

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

did she die of eye socket rot?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Holy gently caress this rules

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1423936251292442626

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

red because of all that blood after they merked tomas beckett

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
were they not allowed to take a decent picture of the book? did they not have a chair to stand on to get an overhead shot

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

The medieval version of the bat bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAv8G8jfuGQ

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Reminds me of the battle Pelusium in 525 BCE. The persians won over the egyptians by putting sacred animals (like cats) in front of them. Afterwards the persian king, Cambyses II, kept hurling cats at the egyptians to show his contempt for them.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Reminds me of the battle Pelusium in 525 BCE. The persians won over the egyptians by putting sacred animals (like cats) in front of them. Afterwards the persian king, Cambyses II, kept hurling cats at the egyptians to show his contempt for them.

early cataphracts

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

lmao at the cage mounted on the saddle.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Gorean Dogknot

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat_bomb#Setbacks_and_transfer_to_US_Navy posted:

A series of tests to answer various operational questions were conducted. In one incident, the Carlsbad Army Airfield Auxiliary Air Base (32°15′39″N 104°13′45″W) near Carlsbad, New Mexico, was set on fire on May 15, 1943, when armed bats were accidentally released.[7] The bats roosted under a fuel tank and incinerated the test range.

"hey, have you seen the bats?"
"the bats? what do you mean have i seen the bats!? i thought you were watching them!?"
(an explosion is heard in the distance)
"....uh oh...the boss is gonna maaaad"

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly this just proves that the concept is sound

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/svtcivni/status/1425241501920108546

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

this guy fucks!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/allworldhistory/status/1426612316699729920

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is there any actual evidence behind that pop-history “humans couldn’t see blue until late antiquity” bullshit or what, I’ve seen it come up in a few articles recently and it seems utterly stupid

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

indigi posted:

is there any actual evidence behind that pop-history “humans couldn’t see blue until late antiquity” bullshit or what, I’ve seen it come up in a few articles recently and it seems utterly stupid

it’s bc of our bicameral mind, op

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no it's relatively poorly supported and takes one concept - that we are trained to detect certain shades, somewhat arbitrarily relating to if they have a name in our language - and does all sorts of pop history over extrapolation.

the effect still exists today, there's a term in Russian that apparently represents a kind of orangish red, and a native speaker of that language would detect it from a gradient or line up much easier. there may be a pattern of emergent languages assigning names to colours in an order but it's mostly conjecture. they absolutely did not physically perceive colours differently.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think we covered the blue thing earlier this year theres some good posts that could be reposted probably

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The evidence for it is almost entirely linguistic; from ancient Greek poetry describing seas as "wine dark" or the skies as "bronzen", to a noted progression in how most languages develop words for colours in the same historical sequence. In the former case, it's very hard to argue that poetry should be taken literally in the sense that the ancient Greeks literally thought the sky was brown rather than the fact that they're using the word to illustrate a different quality of the sky, which was definitely blue, rather than referring to its colour because everyone already knows skies are blue.
The second is, imo, a difficult argument. Essentially it argues a kind of tight Sapir-Whorf that because people didn't initially distinguish linguistically between green and blue that they couldn't discern the difference between the two - they saw blue but mentally processed it as the same colour as green because they didn't have a word for it (and the reason they didn't have a word was because they didn't know it was a different colour). That's the theory anyway - built on a study that established that linguistically basic colours terms 'emerge' in a largely predictable pattern, so if you find a culture with a word for 'brown' then it's at Stage 6 Colours and you would expect to find all the basic colour terms from previous stages - one of these is Stage 5, 'blue'. So if you find a culture that has a specific word for 'blue', then it's been through Stage 3/4 'green/yellow'.

Essentially the argument is just that because ancient people didn't talk about blues they couldn't see blue. Of course, they almost certainly could since the physical structure of the eye that enables it definitely didn't spontaneously evolve in different times across different cultures within the last three or four thousand years. It probably just wasn't important to talk about blue that much, the same way that it wasn't until the 1800s that the English thought pink was an important enough topic to get its own word.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the one about how english had the same thing with red/orange and now theres a ton of poo poo thats obviously orange but we call it red due to custom

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

help what color is this house

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABeautifulCult1/status/1428352356605829120

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol at the lady

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghostlight posted:

the sky, which was definitely blue, rather than referring to its colour because everyone already knows skies are blue.

The sky is an interesting piece of evidence because the studies I saw in undergrad reported that in linguistic groups that lacked a word for blue, the sky would be described as empty or colorless when surveyed.

Tbh the suggestion here to me is that our confidence that the sky is blue is at least partially trained.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh so it’s all nonsense. thanks

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
My Swedish flora guide for example was first published over a hundred years ago but gets new editions as taxonomy and distributions change and new introduced species get established.
but they keep a lot of the terms and language style of the original and it is clear that the original authors didn’t like the word “pink” very much (it already existed by then). Clearly pink flowers get described as something something red and the word pink (Swedish “rosa”) isn’t mentioned once. and in many cases it would be the simplest way to describe the colour instead of for example red followed by a modifier, which takes some getting used to for modern readers as some colour modifier words for shades of pink are a bit antiquated.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The sky is bronze proving no understanding of blue thing seems really weird to me because there are plenty of times when the sky does look bronze. On dark enough sunsets that brownish orange is perfectly describable as bronze.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Could it be referring to the green patina that bronze gets anyway?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The explanation I got at university was that the 'bronze' sky in the Iliad was most likely referring to a bright sky.

Tulip posted:

The sky is an interesting piece of evidence because the studies I saw in undergrad reported that in linguistic groups that lacked a word for blue, the sky would be described as empty or colorless when surveyed.

Tbh the suggestion here to me is that our confidence that the sky is blue is at least partially trained.
100%. When I say it "was definitely blue" I meant that the material conditions of the sky have (largely) not changed between then and there, and I think we would describe the sky in the past (should we be able to see it) the same as we would now because that is how our culture trains us to view and relate to it, not just because we have an appropriate basic colour term for it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I think we would describe the sky in the past (should we be able to see it) the same as we would now because that is how our culture trains us to view and relate to it, not just because we have an appropriate basic colour term for it.

personally I’d describe it as blue because it was blue but maybe that’s me I’m just built different

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The point is that's not all the sky is, and colour being the quintessential property by which to describe it is a culturally driven perspective.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’d still probably describe it as blue even if I were an Ancient Greek since that’s it’s predominant feature

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

indigi posted:

I’d still probably describe it as blue even if I were an Ancient Greek since that’s it’s predominant feature

well, and this is the question, if you never had a word for "blue" would that shade be as noticable as the million shades of bluish green, aquamarine, etc. does your linguistic processing influence your perception and to what degree.

there were some neat tests done with minimum contact peoples where they are asked to pick the odd one out of a lineup that, to me, is screaming "green, green, green, blue, green" but they didn't see one as meaningfully different than you and I would. it's kind of neat.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and when I say that I don't mean they couldn't see one of the options, or that they literally thought they were all the same. I imagine if you made two sets and asked them to pair them up they'd get it 100% right, there's nothing radically different about their physical perception.

but because they had been trained on the concept of a particular shade as part of the process of learning the language they could easily pick between yellow and green and struggled between blue and green. if you taught one of them another language and taught them "blue" they'd develop the same ability. nurture, not nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"the sky was blood red"
This primitive doesn't know what colour blue is!