Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm sorry Maya I love you but oh my god it is so nice to have an actually competent assistant for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

At least in the first game you could make the argument Susato is more competent than Ryunosuke.

Ryu has Nick's trademarked hunt down every single line of thought, no matter how initially dumb it may seem, but Susato has every single relevant factoid, law, bylaw and precedent in that little book of hers and a full index in her head.

Seriously woman, what's that book, the Encyclopedia Britannica pocketbook edition? Are you a senior woodchuck (Tokyo branch)?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think the implication is that it's a different book each time but they just reuse the animation.

You can just as well interpret it as the magical book of everything though because that's funny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HLu1RNNv9Y

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(minor GAA 2-3 spoilers) best visual gag so far: Harebrayne saying he got his work published in a "little science journal" and pulling out a literally tiny sized science journal. that's like some poo poo that would be in a Zucker film or something

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 5, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I think the implication is that it's a different book each time but they just reuse the animation.

You can just as well interpret it as the magical book of everything though because that's funny
I assumed she just took incredibly dense notes of everything she could possibly need to know in England

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Amppelix posted:

This is Ace Attorney, the judge is the judge because they couldn't fit sprites for extra judges on a 2001 GBA cart. The tertiary NPCs had like two sprites each.

So yeah, that's absolutely a small book of everything.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I couldn't figure out the pun gimmick of (1-5) Ringo and Nash until they pulled out fruits and ate them. Ringo is Japanese for apple and nashi is pear! That's pretty good British/Japanese wordplay there!

edit: more or less done with the first game (bad guy has confessed everything at least). Good mysteries in this one; they all break from the formula in interesting ways. However, it has been a grave disappointment in terms of witness breakdown animations. Also, I was expecting a final courtroom deduction from Sholmes but we didn't even get one outside of the first one with Graydon (unless that's coming up later before the ending)

Argue fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 5, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Argue posted:

I couldn't figure out the pun gimmick of (1-5) Ringo and Nash until they pulled out fruits and ate them. Ringo is Japanese for apple and nashi is pear! That's pretty good British/Japanese wordplay there!

edit: more or less done with the first game (bad guy has confessed everything at least). Good mysteries in this one; they all break from the formula in interesting ways. However, it has been a grave disappointment in terms of witness breakdown animations. Also, I was expecting a final courtroom deduction from Sholmes but we didn't even get one outside of the first one with Graydon (unless that's coming up later before the ending)

1-5: Apples and pears is also Cockney rhyming slang for stairs. Which they have in their house. Because they're goons.

There are fewer crazy breakdown animations as a deliberate art choice. Personally I am fine with that, it was getting to be a bit much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also there were only three actual murderers in the game and one of them got off

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Are you just talking about Adventures?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
I know I'm not the first, second, or even third person to say this, but I just got to the 1-5 trial jury reveal and I think I broke into laughter for a solid three minutes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-2: Holy poo poo, Soseki and Shamspeare's argument was seriously "who would win in a fight, Romeo or Juliet," ahahahahahaha

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Well, I've completed both games, and I think this might be up there as one of my favorite AA games.

I still need to put my thoughts and stuff together about everything that's happened, but I will say (Case 2-5 ending spoilers) loving Sholmes popping up as a hologram and casually going "hey so me and iris basically invented a way to transmit images and we've been streaming the entire trial to the queen" was so very, very dumb, but I love it anyways. I couldn't stop cackling over how absolutely absurd it was, even for AA standards!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
2-3, so unimportant I am not sure it needs a spoiler tag, but just in case:
What the heck is that hat, Iris?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-2 Trial: oh my god the same entire jury (except Joan Garrideb for obvious reasons) from the trial two days earlier, I'm losing my mind

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmao the pawnbroker

if you even think about stealing something i'll take this gun and dome myself before you can even blink.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Finally got around to starting this up, managed to beat the first case last night.

There’s been a question nagging at me: why would she have gone to all of the trouble of staging a murder by gunshot when there was the much easier solution of just claiming that he must have died of natural causes or an allergic reaction? The case pretty thoroughly established that until her research notes were filed into the record, no one had thought of curare, so presumably all she would have had to do was throw a bit of a show about realizing he was dead and nobody would have ever been the wiser to the murder.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think it's that odd. She had carefully engineered things such that no one would know she had been present at all. The reason no one had thought of curare was that the police did not think of poison at all and Hosonaga had to do the tests in secret using a private resource. If Wilson didn't have a gunshot wound they might have considered poison. Which would be fine if no one knew Brett had been there, but since Naruhodo had witnessed her at the scene, she might become a suspect, and if she was a suspect, the police may well have investigated her and learned of her poison research. As it turns out the police were ordered to ignore her involvement as much as possible, but I don't think she knew that going in.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

1-1 minor nitpick, curare was unknown in Japan at the time so the police wouldn't have caught it anyway. It's a decently clever if convoluted plan but basically every case can be called convoluted.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Brandfarlig posted:

1-1 minor nitpick, curare was unknown in Japan at the time so the police wouldn't have caught it anyway. It's a decently clever if convoluted plan but basically every case can be called convoluted.

I think the logic is if the police were thinking Wilson died of poison, and found out that the person eating with him when he died was researching a new, unknown kind of poison, they might put two and two together.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
2-3 Trial early: I think this defendant may be worse than Larry!
Edit: after 2nd day of investigations: Aren't a certain poor ballerina and burly crew member owed some freedom given their case has a literal habeas corpus problem?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 7, 2021

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I started it up and just beat the first case myself. Good fun. Okay so am I the only one whose first thought regarding the burn and Wilson's lack of reaction to being shot were attributable to still being under the effects of anesthetic? I don't think I really understood how he was burned like that in the first place since he wouldn't have been handling the plate I think but... Anyhoo, the first OBJECTION gave me chills. Gonna see that racist lady again I bet.

Starting just the intro to the second case and like... Dang Ryunosuke, you got Maya'd twice and Kazuma got Mia'd. Just off to a great start of things with you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Finished the first game, just wrapped up the first case of the second game.

these games are so loving good holy poo poo. While I love the original trilogy, there's a few cases in it that are more of a slog to get through than anything (hi, turnabout big top). But this has been nothing but high points, it's all so great!!!

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

1-5 I kept waiting for the telegram juror to interrupt and say the “music box” was playing morse code but she never did. Sometimes this game is so overly obtuse while in my head I’m screaming for it to get on with it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

1-5 I kept waiting for the telegram juror to interrupt and say the “music box” was playing morse code but she never did. Sometimes this game is so overly obtuse while in my head I’m screaming for it to get on with it.

You may not have gotten this far yet but there are very good reasons why she didn't.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

You may not have gotten this far yet but there are very good reasons why she didn't.

yeah I just got to the fact that the box needs two discs, my bad :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
2-1 "For a brief moment, when that evidence was presented, I had a flicker of doubt about your innocence. I have failed you as your defense attorney, and beg your forgiveness."

I love this world

edit: "There is no way this woman could have been stabbed from behind. As evidence, I submit this photo, taken by this innocent third party, who was standing in a hidden area directly behind her."

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 7, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished the first game, that was "EXTRATERRATORIAL RIGHTS" levels of dragging a case the gently caress out and the peephole thing was kind of a cop-out, but it was worth it for the end where ryunosuke is like "I WILL LITERALLY COMMIT HIGH TREASON RIGHT HERE TO PROTECT MY CLIENT, DO NOT TEST ME PIG"

also the shulkin bros rule and that was not where i was expecting the russian revolutionary to become relevant again lmao

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 8, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

At the end of 1-5 Ginny with her own firework oh my gaaaawd :3:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Ryunosuke committing high treason to save Gina is on par with Apollo bringing down the government in 6

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The music has been consistently excellent so far but (1-5) Graydon’s final cross examination theme was the real standout so far. I really dragged it out even though the solution is really obvious.

Also I can see how Japanese players would be pissed off on the original release with so many plot points still dangling, but the games really benefit from being in a compilation format. Case 2-1 has a cool premise so I’m excited to see where it goes from here.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Post 2-3:
Well, that certainly puts the whole "My Katana tells me to slice up evil" bit in a different light, doesn't it? Also I love Van Zieks kinda sitting there on sidelines at end of all drama

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

It's always extremely funny when you pan the camera to reveal Sholmes doing something ridiculous, but it's downright unsettling when he appears on the same screen and I can't tell when it happens. I swear the game is psychic and only loads his model when i loving blink

I thought watson wilson was supposed to be the creepy one

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Haha, the 2-1 breakdown/takedown

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

2-1: man I had to story mode that fuckin pen emblem after like an hour of beating my head against the wall while dad is like "just press him lol", WHY WOULD THERE BE AN EMBLEM THERE, WHO EVEN DOES THAT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yinlock posted:

2-1: man I had to story mode that fuckin pen emblem after like an hour of beating my head against the wall while dad is like "just press him lol", WHY WOULD THERE BE AN EMBLEM THERE, WHO EVEN DOES THAT

Sounds like someone didn't examine the evidence.

Always examine the evidence.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

in the middle of 2-2 and uhh holy poo poo did I just walk in on Olive trying to commit suicide?? :stonk: This really is the loving emotional whiplash game, isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Sounds like someone didn't examine the evidence.

Always examine the evidence.

I examined the poo poo out of the evidence, that was just something that isn't A Thing so I missed it entirely

Though examining evidence in general is probably my biggest issue with the game only because it tends to give away important plot twists way in advance and you're just waiting for the story to recognize that you know whatever info you just uncovered. It takes a ton of weight away from the court segments

Like with 2-1 you can figure out the entire case in like the first 5 minutes just by finding the poison article and examining the pen, then seeing the dude with the notable ink stain on his arm

e: though tbf that's more of a writing flaw than anything wrong with the mechanic itself

started 2-2 and oh my God I forgot about that guy

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 8, 2021