Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

For some reason I started thinking about the 2012 election today, and the Ryan Medicare Plan which was so wild and I really didn't appreciate it at the time. Ryan's plan was to privatize Medicare: instead of it being public insurance, the government just gave you a big subsidy to go buy insurance on state healthcare exchanges they would set up, with guaranteed issue, community rating, etc so you couldn't be denied for being sick. Sound familiar? Right he wanted to turn Medicare into Obamacare. Except somehow shittier because to keep healthcare costs from devouring the budget, instead of cost controls, they just capped the annual increase in subsidies far below the average rate of healthcare inflation, so old people got more and more hosed by the system every year. Right? Right.

So there were all these bizarre debates where Ryan was pimping his plan and basically talking about how great the Obamacare model (without admitting he was doing that), while Obama pointed out all the ways Obamacare is loving terrible and is an excuse to kill people for greed and you'd have to be an idiot to want that over single payer (without admitting he was doing that).

And then you had the fact checkers

"No Ryan isn't going to give you a voucher and make you purchase medicare on the market, see he's just going to give you a voucher and then set up a market where he will make you purchase medicare!"

"No Republicans aren't ending Medicare and replacing it with a voucher, they're just going to end Medicare for anyone who isn't already on it and replace it with a voucher and maybe you can afford to buy back in!"

They went on to call it lie of the year lol, because how can it be ending Medicare if you grandfather in the people on it now before you end it and if it's replaced with something totally different going by the same name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea fact checkers got such a nasty little hard-on for explaining that because you didn't have Paul Ryan on live tv saying 'I'm going to destroy Medicare because I hate the poor and elderly' you can't say that this plan to completely dismantle the public side of Medicare and replace it with a shambling corpse of a loving voucher will 'destroy' Medicare.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

VitalSigns posted:

For some reason I started thinking about the 2012 election today, and the Ryan Medicare Plan which was so wild and I really didn't appreciate it at the time. Ryan's plan was to privatize Medicare: instead of it being public insurance, the government just gave you a big subsidy to go buy insurance on state healthcare exchanges they would set up, with guaranteed issue, community rating, etc so you couldn't be denied for being sick. Sound familiar? Right he wanted to turn Medicare into Obamacare. Except somehow shittier because to keep healthcare costs from devouring the budget, instead of cost controls, they just capped the annual increase in subsidies far below the average rate of healthcare inflation, so old people got more and more hosed by the system every year. Right? Right.

So there were all these bizarre debates where Ryan was pimping his plan and basically talking about how great the Obamacare model (without admitting he was doing that), while Obama pointed out all the ways Obamacare is loving terrible and is an excuse to kill people for greed and you'd have to be an idiot to want that over single payer (without admitting he was doing that).

"No Ryan isn't going to give you a voucher and make you purchase medicare on the market, see he's just going to give you a voucher and then set up a market where he will make you purchase medicare!"

"No Republicans aren't ending Medicare and replacing it with a voucher, they're just going to end Medicare for anyone who isn't already on it and replace it with a voucher and maybe you can afford to buy back in!"

They went on to call it lie of the year lol, because how can it be ending Medicare if you grandfather in the people on it now before you end it and if it's replaced with something totally different going by the same name.

didn't read

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
eew capitalized paragraphs in the 'zone, get him outta here take his coat

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
cspams getting more an more ex D&Ders as ralph gets more and more tyrannical.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
like most despots Ralph has created a real refugee crisis

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ol' "Diamond Tooth" Joe cannibalized another child, hope you're happy.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sorry sir this is a chil fik a but woke

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Idk why I posted that in here, I think because I went to look at the fact checkers because I remembered they said some bullshit, and oh poo poo that's the style D&D pedants are trying to emulate.

Like same energy as people arguing you can't say letting the eviction moratorium die will put millions out on the street, because an order going away doesn't evict anyone landlords have to do that and maybe they will all be nice

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VitalSigns posted:

Idk why I posted that in here, I think because I went to look at the fact checkers because I remembered they said some bullshit, and oh poo poo that's the style D&D pedants are trying to emulate.

Like same energy as people arguing you can't say letting the eviction moratorium die will put millions out on the street, because an order going away doesn't evict anyone landlords have to do that and maybe they will all be nice

I hate fact checkers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

If Bernie had won SC, by the time the election rolled around the media and the Democratic establishment would have half of their own party believing he's Hitler reborn and Trump may be a cad but better the devil you know.

A Bernie v Trump general that ended with Trump winning would've been better than Biden, we just wouldn't have known it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sexpig by night posted:

like most despots Ralph has created a real refugee crisis

We're going to need posting overflow detention threads, but woke

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

My daughter is about that age.

Getting kind of pissed off!

Time to log off and go to bed.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

interesting choice of first post as a new mod

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Biden's literally just an open pedophile that compulsively touches children against their will and the DC press is all 'lol that's our Joe!'

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Here's what he was whispering to her:

https://twitter.com/mattdizwhitlock/status/1408135017973354500

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

edit: angry drunkpost lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Line Feed posted:

edit: angry drunkpost lmao

horrendous anti-Italian bigotry was here before the edit!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

mama mia!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

VitalSigns posted:

Fact checkers have a fetish for being pedantic

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
cornpop was a bad dude

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

There is a Failing New York Times thread for fake/lovely news.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

does not compute

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Homeless Friend posted:

cornpop was a bad dude

I like that it kinda took everyone a bit to realize that the cornpop story was literally 'I worked at a segregated pool, called a black guy a queer, then was ready to beat him to death with a chain if he got mad at me'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm sorry I think in the story he tells cornpop he'd 'wrap the chain around his neck', so he threatened to string up a black guy

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I like that it kinda took everyone a bit to realize that the cornpop story was literally 'I worked at a segregated pool, called a black guy a queer, then was ready to beat him to death with a chain if he got mad at me'

nah, he threatened to CHOKE him with a chain ("wrap this chain around your head")

e: f,b.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's funny that people think the guy who doesn't even recognize his wife was throwing shade by pretending not to know who Desantis was.

Yes I'm sure this was his one moment of clarity in a sea of muttering senile nonsense

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the scranton strangler

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

I'm sorry I think in the story he tells cornpop he'd 'wrap the chain around his neck', so he threatened to string up a black guy

yep lmao

listen Jack i'm the first white boy to do a hate crime and then threaten a separate hate crime

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

cornpop was a bad dude

https://twitter.com/crushhelm/status/1423450618170052612

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

Fact checkers have a fetish for being pedantic

Do you have sources?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

VitalSigns posted:

Shouldn't they be trying to get a law passed, they're in congress!

:roflolmao:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

the scranton sniffer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol wait is the top one supposed to be lyin liz