Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The game Sacrifice needs a reboot and maybe a few expansions. Loved that world that Shiny built.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sally posted:

nonsense. xenosaga wasn't that hard. tedious and bushit at times. if i can get through Xenosaga 1-3 without roo much fuss any fairweather JRPG fan can

I used cheat codes the moment I learned of their existence. It just made all the sense in the world to little me to want to avoid being frustrated or stuck. I did not play a video game fairly for most of the 2000s. But then Xenosaga III came out and I was like "gently caress, I can't wait to get these drat codes, I need to play this NOW." It was rough but this was over ten years ago now. And on subsequent runs you realize you just need MOMO or KOS-MOS with Blood Dancer and Dark Erde Kaiser and everything is a joke.

Ever since then I've sworn off cheats in JRPGs. I have little doubt if I replayed Xenosag all these years later, I'd find it pretty drat easy. Although I'd like to try Erde Kaiser Sigma legit with no BD + DEK spam.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Only thing I remember about Xenosaga that there is so long cutscene in the game, that there's a midway save-prompt for it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

adhuin posted:

Only thing I remember about Xenosaga that there is so long cutscene in the game, that there's a midway save-prompt for it.

Isn't that xenogears disc 2 where they ran out of money?

Xenogears had a lovely version of speed where you had to run from card to card to play it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Xenogears had a lovely version of speed where you had to run from card to card to play it

Nah, there's a point once or twice in Episode 1 where there are long series of cutscenes so you can save between them. I mainly remember it after the intro ship blows up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ilmucche posted:

it sucked but the rewards were nice and i thought it was cool that they recorded victory lines for every character that you could only hear if you won the minigame as them

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zil posted:

The game Sacrifice needs a reboot and maybe a few expansions. Loved that world that Shiny built.

Sarifice efin ruled, man i might need to dig that one out again

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0NtZxqtio

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tim Curry as a talking balloon was pretty awesome

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

No I’m talking about Xenosaga 1 with the mech battle card game

https://youtu.be/5kHWcshTsEI

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

fridge corn posted:

The ff9 card game was better than the ff8 card game

Explain how one card can defeat the other if their arrows match and I'll agree with you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pentyne posted:

Explain how one card can defeat the other if their arrows match and I'll agree with you.

the thing is i can and i agree with YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

pentyne posted:

It's because there are mechanics you need to read up on not displayed ingame (card minigame). The game is such so that they can make different levels of dumb for the AI.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF8's card game is not very good because its too simplistic.

FF9's card game is not good because its extremely random yet also incredibly simple

Dross posted:

No I’m talking about Xenosaga 1 with the mech battle card game

https://youtu.be/5kHWcshTsEI

I had a friend who played an unbelievable amount of this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the tiebreaker then is that playing a lot of ff8's card game actually has major material benefits throughout the entire game. but the benefits you can get out of ff9's card game are fairly minimal, and only happen once

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Whenever the same game was ported to both snes and genesis the snes version was better, but when they made two completely different games with the same name because the genesis hardware couldn't keep up, the genesis version was better

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Whenever the same game was ported to both snes and genesis the snes version was better, but when they made two completely different games with the same name because the genesis hardware couldn't keep up, the genesis version was better

Even when it was the same port the mildly poorer quality was often offset by not having Nintendo put water wings on your experience

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Genesis Mortal Kombat port was better than the SNES one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's plenty of examples of it going either way. Even when there were graphical improvements like Earthworm Jim, the SNES versions often suffer from being lower resolution/stretched.

Genesis Mortal Kombat II has the best soundtrack, I prefer it over the arcade version in that regard.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Genesis Mortal Kombat port was better than the SNES one.

Also some game I barely remember called Pit Fighter. But that was all the developer's fault and not my SNES.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Also some game I barely remember called Pit Fighter. But that was all the developer's fault and not my SNES.

i remember renting Pit Fighter for SNES and it was the only time i walked back to the rental store to demand an exchange

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember loving the NHL series on genesis and playing it at a friend's house on the snes was the first time I ever experienced how a fuckin awful framerate can ruin a game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

All versions of Pit Fighter are bad.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fur20 posted:

the tiebreaker then is that playing a lot of ff8's card game actually has major material benefits throughout the entire game. but the benefits you can get out of ff9's card game are fairly minimal, and only happen once

That's a point in favour of ff9s card game cuz it means you can safely ignore it completely

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Genesis and SNES versions of Shadowrun were so different from each other and both were amazing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Snes shadowrun was for chumps

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah but Jake Armitage

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

flavor.flv posted:

The most glaring example was Jurrasic Park. The Genesis one was awesome but the SNES one was too loving hard. loving first person view in a confusing labyrinth with a limited night vision battery.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

My ex spent multiple days trying to beat that game in college with no saves and her roommate kicked the console by accident, woops!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

The SNES had a weaker CPU but much better graphics and sound hardware. Most games didn't push the CPU that hard so it wasn't a major disadvantage, and games released for both looked and sounded a hell of a lot better on the SNES. However, things like shoot-em-ups suffered on the SNES.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ilmucche posted:

yah it definitely was.

Xenogears was the janky ran out of money PS1 game.

Xenosaga Episodes 1-3 were the weird bloated prequels/reboot. (Xenogears was supposed to be Episode 5 or something i dunno). Xenosaga 1 is a slow plodding affair. i used to fall asleep playing it it'a gameplay was so dull. story was oddly compelling... but the back of the box advertised "over 80 hours of gameplay" when you could beat the game with all sidequests done in 40.

Xenosaga 2 was better placed but the story was a weirs shift to some of the side characters making it feel like an extended side story at points. also the combat system was an overdesigned mess that wasn't fun to play for extended periods of time.

Xenosaga 3 was the only genuinely decent one of the three and it was still hella janky. 2 underperformed so they were told they only had one more game instead of 4... Xenosaga was supposed to be 6 games and I guess they were gonna retell Xenogears or something? Anyways as it turns out cramming all the plot into one game instead of stretching it out over another four was the best thing for the games. it was a satisfying ending even if the protagonists always were forever idiots. oh and the combat was actually finally half decent.

Xenoblade was the spiritual reboot and frankly the only "good" Xeno- JRPG imo. just drat. turfed a lot of the earlier games' baggage and retold its own thing using similar themes.

i know there are sequels but i hear they suck. Xenoblade Chronicles is a good high note to end on. i am done with that franchise.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6VYabIvxqaYR0k4VktJNW9TSGs/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-mIexhk5k76ztNhDCmfYyBA

In case any of you care about Xeno trivia, this is a siterip of a now defunct all things Xenogears and Xenosaga fansite with a detailed history of Xenogears' and Xenosaga's development, as well as a ton of translations of supplementary material, interviews, analysis of the themes and characters in Xenogears and Xenosaga, etc..

Just happy to post it whenever this topic comes up, spread the wealth and all thAt.

Xenosaga II underperformed because its development was a mess with one of the main writers of Xenogears and Xenosaga 1 being fired. Well, according to her FAQ (included in the link), she was "not invited back" Neither was Mitsuda and even Takahashi (her husband and the creator of all things Xeno) was barely involved with EP2.

It's been over 15 years and Episode 2 is still absolutely baffling. I have no idea what they were thinking. Well, I can guess - they wanted to make Xenosaga "cooler" and rake in more money and fans, but all they did was piss off the fans Xenosaga already had.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Mega Drive, and by the way get out of here with that Genesis poo poo, it was already taken by both The Bible and Phil Collins, anyway, The Mega Drive was a classy console, much cooler than nintendo and thats with the caveat that sonic games aren't great.

Despite that being able to plug sonic and knuckles and sonic 3 together was still cooler than literally anything on the snes

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The Mega Drive, and by the way get out of here with that Genesis poo poo, it was already taken by both The Bible and Phil Collins, anyway, The Mega Drive was a classy console, much cooler than nintendo and thats with the caveat that sonic games aren't great.

Despite that being able to plug sonic and knuckles and sonic 3 together was still cooler than literally anything on the snes

The only literal add-on

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The mega drive sucks and so does Phil collins

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

If Phil collins is the mega drive then peter gabriel is the snes

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Micro machines 2 on the mega drive had a rad cart with extra controller slots on it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Plug sonic 3 and knuckles into your 32x for extra blast processing power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

More poo poo should plug together in modern tech imo