Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Squiggle posted:

Pistol Whip rules. It does something to my brain.
It's the perfect excuse to act a complete fool and i take it every time. I can't wait for stronger official mod support, which, come to think of it, might be a consideration with quest vs pc. Pictured below: me, playing pistol whip

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bought pistol whip. Will report back with my findings.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Goodbye to your thighs

Wallrod posted:

Pictured below: me, playing pistol whip

:hmmyes:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 6, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wallrod posted:

I can't wait for stronger official mod support
Was this (finally) announced?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Not exactly, their discord FAQ says custom songs are on their radar and they link to a modding discord, so hopefully once they're in a groove they can focus on that sorta secondary stuff.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I shared my screen over Discord one night while playing Pistol Whip. My buddy was like, are you dancing?!

I was indeed dancing and was also in my underwear. VR is amazing!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I can’t let anyone other than my girlfriend see me play Supernatural, like ever, because I’m sure I look like one of those wacky inflatable waving arm guys

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
In terms of vr cringe dancing is probably the most forgivable I would think. The worst has to be 2 handing a gun. Must look like a little kid playing laser guns with their fingers. And sometimes that’s how it feels :awesomelon:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

Bought pistol whip. Will report back with my findings.

hey this game is prett-

Squiggle posted:

Goodbye to your thighs

oh god why am i so damp and hurty :gonk:

Seriously though, game rules. As someone who tends to do stuff just like this in games already this game kinda speaks to me.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I can’t let anyone other than my girlfriend see me play Supernatural, like ever, because I’m sure I look like one of those wacky inflatable waving arm guys

My daughters, 9 and 11, have watched me do Supernatural and did not answer when I asked them how cool I looked.

Now, after a month of having it, I am really enjoying it. I have began moving into the Medium intensity sets and I now know that my right knee is my bad knee. Also, their cover for the mask is awesome and I am glad that they sent it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you watched Aluminette?

Just a movie but its great

It really is. Unfortunately I got about 90 minutes in, decided to fidle with some settings, exited the game accidentally... and had to start over from the beginning. And didn't. Don't be like mllaneza, don't gently caress around while enjoying your awesome 3d movie.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Yo I got a quest 2 and I've recently started feeling like visuals just ain't that great, I'm mostly using it plugged into my PC and I've done the thing with sidequest to up the resolution but i feel like i basically only see things clearly when im looking directly at them and if there's ever a bright object in a darker scene then it has a crazy weird aura around it that's super distracting. This is my first time ever using a VR helmet so if this is normal then whatever, but if its specific to the cheaper headset then i might consider saving up for something nicer since I'm having a lot of fun despite these issues.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kullik posted:

Yo I got a quest 2 and I've recently started feeling like visuals just ain't that great, I'm mostly using it plugged into my PC and I've done the thing with sidequest to up the resolution but i feel like i basically only see things clearly when im looking directly at them and if there's ever a bright object in a darker scene then it has a crazy weird aura around it that's super distracting. This is my first time ever using a VR helmet so if this is normal then whatever, but if its specific to the cheaper headset then i might consider saving up for something nicer since I'm having a lot of fun despite these issues.

That sounds like something funky is going on with pixel mapping. I would undo whatever you did with sidequest, and just max out resolution and refresh rate in the Oculus PC App.

Edit: You have Fixed Foveated Rendering off, correct?

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 6, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A glow around bright objects is pretty normal in my experience, but it's hard to say how pronounced it should be since that sorta thing isn't easily quantifiable.
As for the distortion, might just not be set up right to your face? Try sliding it up and down, maybe playing with the interocular distance? Quest 2 can do that, right?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Sounds like a normal take for a first time VR user who presumably has read a lot of content from long term users that take the universal flaws for granted.

Both of those issues are down to the way the lenses work. Fresnel lenses cause bloom around bright objects and the area of clear viewing is called the 'sweet spot', which can be larger or smaller depending on the way the headset is designed. You get around it by learning to do exactly as you said, turn your head to things directly rather than swivel your eyes around the scene. It becomes subconscious soon enough.

If you feel the visuals lack punch and contrast it's the Quest 2's LCD screens, they're good compared to what's come before but still more or less what you'd expect to find in a headset (or phone, or tablet) of that price range. If it's the resolution, you're sitting at the front of the mainstream headset pack right now so that's about as good as it gets until the next technological leap. Oculus in particular alternate frequently between OLED and LCD and neither is perfect for VR yet unfortunately.

Main thing is none of these issues get in the way of what it CAN do, they're just rough edges to partially solved problems.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, should be noted that while there are things that might make the edges blurrier, there's going to be a lower definition on a lot of things outside the sweet spot than you expect, especially if you're new to VR.
Generalizing, but we're used to seeing an immersive 3D world that's basically the same resolution no matter where we focus. In VR, you don't get that. If you ever look at a screenshot or video feed from your VR headset, viewed on a flat monitor, you'll see why: those things far away or at the edges of vision that you can't make out are teeny-tiny in the actual render, and that sign on the wall that looks like it should be clearer from here is actually only taking up something like 50x50 pixels on your screen. Someday there might be a better surround-image solution to this but probably not for a decade or more at this point, because it's so fundamental to how rendering works.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Bondematt posted:

That sounds like something funky is going on with pixel mapping. I would undo whatever you did with sidequest, and just max out resolution and refresh rate in the Oculus PC App.

Edit: You have Fixed Foveated Rendering off, correct?

ok i've done what you said regarding setting my resolution back to default in sidequest and increasing it in the occulus app and then disabled FFR within sidequest, im not sure if this is better tbh, it feels roughly similar, though others have mentioned this may just be me getting used to how vr is, which is fine, thats sort of the answer i expected, i was just hoping there might be some magic bullet fix like a setting etc.

The other thing i was wondering if anyone knows, i sort of wanna buy the app that lets me play pc games on the headset over wifi, but will that work without some super expensive gamer router, i just have whatever one my rubbish ISP gave me like 6 years ago, im asking cause i tried game streaming before with the nvidia shield and it was unusable lol.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kullik posted:

ok i've done what you said regarding setting my resolution back to default in sidequest and increasing it in the occulus app and then disabled FFR within sidequest, im not sure if this is better tbh, it feels roughly similar, though others have mentioned this may just be me getting used to how vr is, which is fine, thats sort of the answer i expected, i was just hoping there might be some magic bullet fix like a setting etc.

The other thing i was wondering if anyone knows, i sort of wanna buy the app that lets me play pc games on the headset over wifi, but will that work without some super expensive gamer router, i just have whatever one my rubbish ISP gave me like 6 years ago, im asking cause i tried game streaming before with the nvidia shield and it was unusable lol.

Yeah, you may just need to get used to it. I don't notice it, but I've also been doing VR for over a year now so I might just be stockholmed into it.

Good news! You no longer need Virtual Desktop to play over WiFi. Airlink, which is built into the Quest 2, is better for most games now. There are some cases where Virtual Desktop is better, but it's rare now. Try it out with the POS router and see, but based on the Shield being crap it's probably going to be worse here.

I picked up a $100 router which has been great.

Edit: https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-MR7350-Dual-Band-Wireless-Future-Proof/dp/B0897ZCBPF

This is the one I use. There's a few others that are highly recommended in this price range, so definitely check those out to.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 6, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You need the 5ghz band for wireless streaming, so as long as your router has that enabled and you've got a good clear signal to it then you should be ready to go. I'm also using a garbo ISP router, although I may just upgrade at some point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Only tangential to this thread, but now you can play RecRoom on your Android smartphone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.AgainstGravity.RecRoom

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Huh

RecRoom basically got a bridge loan ($20 million sounds like a lot, but it's about 2 years of runway for an engineering heavy company of 25-30) in the form of selling equity in 2019, then 2020, arguably the biggest year for VR adoption ever, happened, and then in March 2021 went and traded more equity for money with sequoia. Now they're moving into Android

Seems desperate? If they weren't able to go profitable yet, but I'm curious what the spin was here for the additional investment. Facebook is "building the multiverse", Microsoft owns Minecraft outright, and Roblox is public so they're no longer in play either. Does that basically leave RecRoom as the last untapped legit immersive, mass market VR universe/IP to invest in?

There's IP like Eve online and Blizzard's stuff but I don't think they're looking to trade equity for money, or even looking to borrow money

Anyways, moving into Android space seems weird. It's all built in unity probably, so getting the quest version to run on a phone isn't much of a stretch, mainly curious why they're leading with this as their primary project after closing a $100mm round with a blue chip VC company

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You need the 5ghz band for wireless streaming, so as long as your router has that enabled and you've got a good clear signal to it then you should be ready to go. I'm also using a garbo ISP router, although I may just upgrade at some point.

Yeah the biggest factors are a wired connection to your PC and having line of sight and close proximity between router and headset. I'd only look at buying a new router if you're still having issues after sorting those out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

Huh

RecRoom basically got a bridge loan ($20 million sounds like a lot, but it's about 2 years of runway for an engineering heavy company of 25-30) in the form of selling equity in 2019, then 2020, arguably the biggest year for VR adoption ever, happened, and then in March 2021 went and traded more equity for money with sequoia. Now they're moving into Android

Seems desperate? If they weren't able to go profitable yet, but I'm curious what the spin was here for the additional investment. Facebook is "building the multiverse", Microsoft owns Minecraft outright, and Roblox is public so they're no longer in play either. Does that basically leave RecRoom as the last untapped legit immersive, mass market VR universe/IP to invest in?

There's IP like Eve online and Blizzard's stuff but I don't think they're looking to trade equity for money, or even looking to borrow money

Anyways, moving into Android space seems weird. It's all built in unity probably, so getting the quest version to run on a phone isn't much of a stretch, mainly curious why they're leading with this as their primary project after closing a $100mm round with a blue chip VC company

VRChat gets investors as well, and now funds themselves from the playerbase with VRChat Plus (monthly subscription for a few token benefits) directly so they don't have to basically go hat-in-hand to investors every so often anymore.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Huh

Seems desperate?

No, given the plans were always to be in as many platforms as possible:

"Rec Room is a virtual reality, online video game with an integrated game creation system developed and published by Rec Room Inc. (formerly known as Against Gravity) and can be played on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4/5, Oculus Quest 1/2, iOS 12.0 and up, Xbox One and Xbox Series S/X.[1] It was released for Microsoft Windows in June 2016, PlayStation 4 (with PSVR support) in November 2017,[2] Oculus Quest in May 2019,[3] iOS in November 2019, and Xbox in December 2020. " (wikipedia)

If anything, the Android version comes late.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Hadlock posted:

Huh

It's been on iPhones for ages now so this is nothing really groundbreaking for them. Just another platform to add to the collection.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh

Why the hell did Sequoia give them $100mm then

RecRoom is the kind of IP I'd expect a third rate VC to pick up, not a blue chip player. Maybe they're way more popular with Gen Z than I realized

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They're trying to be VR-focused Roblox (Roblox has VR support but it's more of a background feature).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah their goal is to be a ubiquitous platform for playing and creating games that isn’t a garbage jankfest like roblox. They’re also building a social platform

They want to be on every platform. Hell the Android port may just be a port of their native quest client

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

pantsfree posted:

BOBOVR halo strap arrived, it's pretty comfortable but it constantly feels like it's going to slide up and off the top of my head from the back unless i clamp it very tight, haven't yet been able to find a position where it doesn't feel this way. Suspect this is caused by the pleather padding and me having long hair, whereas the rubber back of the Elite Strap provided some friction.

Attaching the battery pack on the back went a long way to solving this for me. It's mostly fine. I think i still prefer the elite strap overall, more comfortable for longer.

Also, to my horror I think rhythm games might be making me actually like and enjoy electroswing. Had fun with these: https://bsaber.com/electro-swing-pack/

Just wish all the fancy chroma effects (or any of them, really) worked on the Quest.

Kullik posted:

It's hard to know whether this is a problem or whether it's just what is to be expected from fresnels/LCDs. There was a big panic around the Quest 2 launch with lots of people talking about faulty lenses etc, pretty sure most of it was just people new to VR and not understanding the inherent flaws in the way the lenses work. I was one of them, I was initially disappointed with the lack of clarity across the view when I first got my Q2, but I don't really notice it now, especially in game.

Check the IPD setting, also check that the lenses are centered over your eyes vertically as well - the sweet spot will get a lot smaller if your headset is too low/high on your face, even by just a little bit, and it'll drastically exacerbate all of the lens issues.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

pantsfree posted:

Also, to my horror I think rhythm games might be making me actually like and enjoy electroswing. Had fun with these: https://bsaber.com/electro-swing-pack/

Synth Riders has a good batch of official electro-swing maps and, yeah, they converted me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

How can anybody hate electroswing when the Star Wars cantina exists? Jizz rules!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Synth Riders has a Caravan Palace pack now, including one as a fancy Experience track, which like the Muse one is absolutely amazing and highly recommended if you want to blow someone away with VR.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Is the BMBF browser meant to allow you to bookmark a song and download it in headset? I think I got it to work once. Also my expectation of a playlist is that I would bookmark it and it would pull all the songs... it doesn't even seem like my bookmark persists. I saw some note to say Beastsaber was undergoing maintenance but I can download stuff on the PC and transfer over without issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Electroswing in Synth Riders is amazing, like I was starting to feel like Cab Calloway after a few stages.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There's press impressions of the Steam Deck getting out, and a quote people in here might find interesting.

quote:

But Coomer did light up when I suggested that maybe we could see the Steam Deck’s custom AMD APU in a standalone VR headset, like the Oculus Quest. He said he loved the question. “We’re not ready to say anything about it, but it would run well in that environment, with the TDP necessary... it’s very relevant to us and our future plans,” he said.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Some more deets on the Pistol Whip :clint: update

https://www.roadtovr.com/pistol-whip-smoke-and-thunder-update-release-date-price-increase/

Price is raising from $25 to $30 after August 15th.
The "styles" thing sounds fun. Pull in custom weapons/modifiers into existing levels and compete on a leaderboard for that specific combination

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

njsykora posted:

There's press impressions of the Steam Deck getting out, and a quote people in here might find interesting.

that Coomer was very excited

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah their goal is to be a ubiquitous platform for playing and creating games that isn’t a garbage jankfest like roblox. They’re also building a social platform

They want to be on every platform. Hell the Android port may just be a port of their native quest client

And they already have one of the largest VR compatible ones available. Kids love it, and they are legit doing the roblox thing with monetization.

Its an easy sell to investors tbh. You'd be surprised the big names behind some of the VR things lurking about. Hell some of the Zoom meetings ive had are with people/companies I never figured would have interest in VR.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

i tried it out and it actually worked surprisingly well, until it disconnected, then i reconnected, and didnt even get back into the game and it disconnected again, so i think that my router might just be trash lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kullik posted:

i tried it out and it actually worked surprisingly well, until it disconnected, then i reconnected, and didnt even get back into the game and it disconnected again, so i think that my router might just be trash lol.

Yeah you'll probably want a dedicated router but you really won't need a monster of a router for it to work well. I have a pretty unspectacular AC1750 and it works almost flawlessly.