Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cage was great in Pig. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a best actor nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Phanatic posted:

Nicholas Cage 100% commits to every single role he plays and while sometimes the film sucks anyway frequently it's just amazing.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans, the movie with two too many titles, is fantastic. Cage plays a drugged-out corrupt cop (Much like Keitel does in Bad Lieutenant, go figure), and his drug-induced hallucinations are shown in-scene, visible only to Cage's character. It's wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVOTx4Lx3pY

Now I need to go watch the pig movie.

There are actually tons of movies where he very much doesn't try and is definitely only in it for the paycheck. Bangkok Dangerous is a great example, it's not worth his energy so he's sleepwalking through it.

On the other hand Adaptation is a great movie where he plays two different characters in totally different ways, and then on top of that plays two versions of each of them depending on which one of them is writing the movie at that moment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RCarr posted:

Cage was great in Pig. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got a best actor nod.

Yeah, it definitely could have been one of those one note "funny" Cage performances but instead he's subtle, nuanced and heartfelt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

As Ebert said, Cage is a good actor in good movies, and an almost indispensable actor in bad ones.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If I'm remembering my Nic Cage trivia correctly, he tends to come to movies with Nic Cage Ideas about how to play a character, but if the director doesn't like it, he'll drop it and do it like they want instead without a fuss

How exaggerated a performance is depends somewhat on how willing a director is to push back and ask for something else

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Foxfire_ posted:

If I'm remembering my Nic Cage trivia correctly, he tends to come to movies with Nic Cage Ideas about how to play a character, but if the director doesn't like it, he'll drop it and do it like they want instead without a fuss

How exaggerated a performance is depends somewhat on how willing a director is to push back and ask for something else

That may be the case now, but I know with Vampire's Kiss he fought the director on everything and they still insist he ruined the movie.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
My favorite Cage movie is The Color Out Of Space. He's perfect.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cage is perfectly right in Leaving Las Vegas he's like a sweet roll that is full of mold but a human being.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Uncut Gems irritates me beyond all imagining because in my conception of the man it has changed Adam Sandler from an easily ignorable hack into an immense waste of potential who is as lazy as he is talented.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Breetai posted:

Uncut Gems irritates me beyond all imagining because in my conception of the man it has changed Adam Sandler from an easily ignorable hack into an immense waste of potential who is as lazy as he is talented.

Never seen Punch Drunk Love?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Like once every ten years Sandler actually tries and it puts his usual stuff in such incredibly stark relief it’s mind boggling.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

My favorite Cage movie is The Color Out Of Space. He's perfect.

You should check out Mom and Dad

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MariusLecter posted:

Punch Drunk Love is over-rated in my opinion. I understand how it shows that Adam Sandler can act when he feels like it, and I will not say it is a bad film. Just not as good as a lot of people say it is.

For Adam Sandler actually trying, my go to is Funny People.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

MariusLecter posted:

Not until after I saw Uncut Gems and I frankly didn't really care for it (though obviously he's better in that than in Adam Sandler Productions Presents Boobfart The Movie XIV insofar as he actually acts).

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Breetai posted:

We have a whole bunch of great character actors though. Sandler looks at that enormous writhing pile of pathos and then looks at "20 million to hang out with my mates for 8 weeks in one tropical paradise or another, doing a pretty easy job and partying every night" and makes the choice I feel most of us would.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Keromaru5 posted:

Again: the world needs campy Batman again.

No, more serious, we're going to force this silly putty premise into being as rough and unfun as a cinderblock god help me!

More tattoos on the villains! More sixth grade moral dilemmas on boats! More co-opting protests and siding with the cops! Rough up his voice till it's completely incomprehensible bass-boosted Wookie growling!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Imagined posted:

Yeah, I can be certainly think of some terrible movies he's been in, but I can't think of any that were bad because of him. In fact, more often his batshit performance is the only reason to even watch or remember an otherwise bad movie. Would anyone today even remember Wicker Man or National Treasure if it weren't for Nicolas Cage?
I honestly think that part of why the Ghost Rider movies are bad is because of Cage. I would even suggest that Con Air is good because the other actors realized that Cage was sleepwalking through the movie and decided to step the gently caress up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Human Tornada posted:

If the movie didn't establish early on that Stanley Goodspeed was a music lover then calling Captain Darrow "the Rocket Man" right before blasting a rocket straight up his rear end wouldn't have made any sense though?

Actually he describes himself as a Beatlemaniac, and the movie memory-holes it the instant the last syllable of the word Beatlemaniac leaves his mouth. Beatles tunes are expensive to license.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

I honestly think that part of why the Ghost Rider movies are bad is because of Cage. I would even suggest that Con Air is good because the other actors realized that Cage was sleepwalking through the movie and decided to step the gently caress up.

Put. The opinion. Back in the box.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Foxfire_ posted:

"The fact that Nic Cage was going to be in an animated Spider-Man film to begin with was delightful news. We were even more hyped when we heard he’d be playing a noir version of the character. Yet no one could have guessed just how perfect a fit Cage was for Spider-Man Noir. That is, once he went “Full Cage” for the role.

Cage says he imagined his character being a fan of old Humphrey Bogart movies. Hard scrabbled. Likely hard drinking. A straight shooter with a gimlet eye. Someone who would fit right into one of Raymond Chandler’s iconic Phillip Marlowe novels. At one point, feeling his performance wasn’t quite right, he asked if the Spider-Verse team wanted him to go “Full Cage?” They did. He did. The rest is Oscar-winning history."

https://www.motionpictures.org/2019/03/nic-cage-goes-full-cage-in-delightful-spider-man-into-the-spider-verse-video/

Nic Cage is fully aware of his skills, and when he trusts the director, you get magic!

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Torquemada posted:

Actually he describes himself as a Beatlemaniac, and the movie memory-holes it the instant the last syllable of the word Beatlemaniac leaves his mouth. Beatles tunes are expensive to license.

1) Being a Beatlemaniac and being a music lover aren't mutually exclusive.

2) In the same scene he says "[LPs] sound better", and after a stressful day at the office he unwinds by listening to some non-Beatles music and noodling on his guitar, both further indicators of his musical bona fides.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Watched Midnight Run, pretty good road movie with Robert DeNiro bounty hunter going cross country with Charles Grodin. Had bizarre tendency to end scenes with someone being punched unconscious. DeNiro’s rival is knocked out three times in less than a week, forget stealing the bounty you’ve got CTE now buddy.

Also the premise didn’t make sense. If someone isn’t returned to LA by the end of the week a bail bondsman will lose the bond. But the FBI is also after the guy for something else, but DeNiro won’t let them have him. There must be a thing where if someone is out on bail and arrested on federal charges the bond isn’t forfeit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I watched The Lost Footage of Leah Sullivan, and while I really liked the movie, and the leads had some amazing chemistry, the ending was just sort of a wet fart.

Not as bad as the car crash and url to visit, but just... It took a movie that was a solid 8 on the creepy factor and dropped a 4 ending on it.

Worth a watch (free with ads on plex).

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer
All this Nicolas Cage-talk and no mention of Mandy??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Willy's Wonderland I probably should see. Five Nights At Freddy's but with Nicholas Cage who never speaks.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Willy's Wonderland I probably should see. Five Nights At Freddy's but with Nicholas Cage who never speaks.

The movie is like 99% Nic Cage cleaning toilets and 1% killing possessed animatronic puppets while looking bored. It's not a very interesting movie.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

New Suicide Squad: why would he not simply use lanyards? Or even monofilament lanyards, given that the gadget weapons are clearly controlled by intention

/e: okay, not monofilament lanyards, that wouldn't work well in the long or shortened limbs run

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Aug 7, 2021

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Go in with low expectations and you'll have a good time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FFT posted:

New Suicide Squad: why would he not simply use lanyards? Or even monofilament lanyards, given that the gadget weapons are clearly controlled by intention

/e: okay, not monofilament lanyards, that wouldn't work well in the long or shortened limbs run

Lanyards don't exist in movies or TV. Hell, maybe half of all X-Files episodes would have ended differently if Mulder had any sense of pattern recognition and put a lanyard on his pistol.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
And Scully's skepticism stopped making sense about the third time it was actually was a monster.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm glad the "flashlight batteries just went dead" trope is dying now that everyone has a phone in their pockets. Man, that got old in X-Files real fast.

Should change it to "I can't turn on the light because the ap keeps covering the screen with ads!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Another movie I saw recently that would have been better starring Nicolas Cage: The Vault. Just rename it to "International Treasure" or something, Cage takes the place of the guy from bates motel, replace the computer guy with his annoying sidekick riley and they could have had a hit on their hands.

also considering how pretty much every heist movie does it, I hope in real life the security camera panels are a lot more protected than they are in the movies. They just slip into some broom closet and switch some plugs around and say "i'm in" and they have full control somehow. Also even if you could do that, I would think it wouldn't be too hard to automatically detect when a feed is supposed to be live but old footage is being looped.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If anything, movies give security systems way too much credit

https://rohirric-hunter.tumblr.com/post/655338889121234944/rohirric-hunter-ever-since-i-got-a-job-as-a

quote:

Accurate heist movie: The Team is sneaking into a high security facility. An alarm is triggered, they freeze, prepared to knock out whoever responds to the alarm. It takes 40 minutes for someone to respond. When they finally do show up, they shuffle along, annoyed, arms full of 16 bags of pretzels for some reason, and reset the alarm without bothering to check their surroundings. They report that the alarm went off in error. Security control starts a fight about the correct designation of the door. The guard announces that they’re leaving the alarm key in the alarm because it’s always going off for no reason. No one challenges them on this. They shuffle away, leaving an alarm key and several bags of pretzels behind.

The Team disables an alarm. The only way to do this is to rip it out of the wall and disassemble it until it physically can’t make noise anymore. This very loud process is clearly heard by the posted security guard nearby, who rolls their eyes and text their supervisor that the logistics contractors are fooling with the alarms again.

The Team steals a keycard with “””””unlimited””””” access to the facility and gets caught because the computer system that manages keycards randomly revokes access for no reason.

The Team walks past a security guard in broad daylight wearing T-shirts that say, “We are here to rob you”. The security guard does nothing, having seen several people in logistics wearing that exact shirt two days prior.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watched Midnight Run, pretty good road movie with Robert DeNiro bounty hunter going cross country with Charles Grodin. Had bizarre tendency to end scenes with someone being punched unconscious. DeNiro’s rival is knocked out three times in less than a week, forget stealing the bounty you’ve got CTE now buddy.

Also the premise didn’t make sense. If someone isn’t returned to LA by the end of the week a bail bondsman will lose the bond. But the FBI is also after the guy for something else, but DeNiro won’t let them have him. There must be a thing where if someone is out on bail and arrested on federal charges the bond isn’t forfeit.

I've not seen that movie but I assume the issue would be more that the bounty hunter wouldn't get paid if someone else arrested the fugitive.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just watched The Vault - silly heist movie, but for whatever reason the insane security bank does not have ANY sort of interconnected system that tells the guards that THE VAULT IS BEING OPENED

You know, the most basic kind of interlock that requires a third party to approve access from a remote location - or at least tells people that your hyper secure vault beneath the building is being opened up right now, dummy!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

muscles like this! posted:

I've not seen that movie but I assume the issue would be more that the bounty hunter wouldn't get paid if someone else arrested the fugitive.

This is correct. It's also a really fun cool movie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Nicolas Cage is great in the right movie, where both the film suits him and he's actually trying and not just taking the piss to pay off his debts.

I was surprised at "Willy's Wonderland." That and "Mom and Dad" are pretty drat fun.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

flavor.flv posted:

If anything, movies give security systems way too much credit

https://rohirric-hunter.tumblr.com/post/655338889121234944/rohirric-hunter-ever-since-i-got-a-job-as-a

The Team walks past a security guard in broad daylight wearing T-shirts that say, “We are here to rob you”. The security guard does nothing, having seen several people in logistics wearing that exact shirt two days prior.

Honestly, I work in a pretty secure area and if I saw contractors wearing those shirts I'd probably thank them for their honesty.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I too just watched The Vault, and what got me was their plan involved replacing the regular cleaning crew for one day, and assuming nobody on the cleaning crew would say anything to anybody at the bank about getting an uncharacteristic day off. I guess the fact that this oversight blew up in their faces makes it not an irrational irritating movie moment, but still. I already typed these fuckin' sentences and they're not going to waste.

Also Cage can do whatever the hell he wants as far as I'm concerned because Matchstick Men and Lord Of War were fantastic. And gently caress it, so was Mom and Dad, for letting him turn the Cage Rage dial to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching The Objective and there's a scene where they are waiting for a chopper and to signal where they are, at night, they use green glow sticks. For a chopper that's going to be using night vision. That's green.

They should use either uv or red, and I get that it's less neat looking for the movie scene, but every time the protags use night vision in the movie so far it's lime green. It's not a big leap of logic to go "Maybe we should use white ones?" so it seems a bit less dumb and pointless. Green glow sticks are not going to show up at all on green night vision. It'll just look like the soldiers are having a vogue off on the mountain.