Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gundam X ending early was actively bad because it meant Ennil El didn’t get her own Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Gaius Marius posted:

You could cut 2/3 of Macross 7 and have a much better series

While I agree with this, the length of the series is partly why I grew to despise Basara and how Gamlin became my favorite so slowly that I didn't even realise I no longer disliked him at first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hated basara from the first episode.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Gamlin is extremely good yeah, he probably became your favorite because he developed as a character and had a character arc unlike Basara who was pretty much the same person from start to finish.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Basara is the protagonist. Gamlin is the hero.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Gamlin is extremely good yeah, he probably became your favorite because he developed as a character and had a character arc unlike Basara who was pretty much the same person from start to finish.

It wouldn't work if Basara changed. Macross 7 is basically the story of the world moving to meet Basara. At the beginning he tells everyone to listen to his song, and by the end they do.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I mean yeah and that's why I didn't like it, that's part of the reason why I'd rank it so low compared to other macross series. The other being that it's so drat long, it didn't need 52 episodes and 2 or 3 OVAs on top of it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Basara is more of a force of nature than a human being.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjewtsu posted:

what kind of moral dispute do you have with madoka that makes you wish all the people who enjoy it didn't have it

An overly bleak and cynical deconstruction* of a genre that didn't need it that is nowhere even remotely as clever or competent as it thinks it is that actively harmed the entire medium of anime(and most other mediums that intersect with it) by encouraging everyone and their grandma to try and copy it even more incompetently, and only really succeeded because the people involved on the visual and musical side of things did an admittedly really good job that in turn made it very easy to merchandise for

Rinse and repeat my argument for Devilman Crybaby, though add to that my additional opinion that it's source material isn't particularly good either

*deconstruction is one of those concepts that over the years I've learned to actively despise as it almost never has good results cause most people who try to do that are people who think they're way more clever than they actually are

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lol this mf'er thinks madoka invented dark magical girls.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

lol this mf'er thinks madoka invented dark magical girls.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What's Devilman a deconstruction of tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
devilman, obviously.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

*deconstruction is one of those concepts that over the years I've learned to actively despise as it almost never has good results cause most people who try to do that are people who think they're way more clever than they actually are

The only reason anyone talks about deconstruction in the context of anime is because ADV used the word on the back of the Evangelion VHS boxes 20 years ago.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Where's Violence Jack Crybaby? That has a Mazinger so it is thread relevant.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Midjack posted:

The only reason anyone talks about deconstruction in the context of anime is because ADV used the word on the back of the Evangelion VHS boxes 20 years ago.

Was going to say, this argument doesn't change if you try to claim that Eva ruined mecha.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What genre do you think devilman crybaby was trying to deconstruct, exactly

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1423478937389305857?s=20

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main mech looks pretty rad

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Its name is BIG TONY

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Where's Violence Jack Crybaby? That has a Mazinger so it is thread relevant.

Violence Jack doesn't become a sequel until really far into the manga after Go Nagai ran out of ideas which is like 40 volumes in

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I keep mentally confusing Sakugan with that Kawamori show from a few years ago. I just can't tell them apart

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's called Last Hope, i don't know how you are doing that

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"Sakugan" is a loving ambitious title, drat.

Hope it can live up to that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

An overly bleak and cynical deconstruction* of a genre that didn't need it that is nowhere even remotely as clever or competent as it thinks it is that actively harmed the entire medium of anime(and most other mediums that intersect with it) by encouraging everyone and their grandma to try and copy it even more incompetently, and only really succeeded because the people involved on the visual and musical side of things did an admittedly really good job that in turn made it very easy to merchandise for

Rinse and repeat my argument for Devilman Crybaby, though add to that my additional opinion that it's source material isn't particularly good either

Is anime mass copying madoka even a thing anymore? I feel like isekai power fantasy are the dominant fad now and the influence madoka had is a lot more subtle

But also this kinda reads like you're just salty that bleak media is occasionally popular

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who tried to copy devilman crybaby?

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

isn't madoka not even really that bleak too? :psyduck: it's fine to not like bleak stuff if thats not ur thing but iirc there's always been dark takes on genres, especially magical girl shows, and madoka seemed pretty influential which is why there was a lot of bad copies or w/e

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it's called Last Hope, i don't know how you are doing that

Yeah, I've been busy getting Sakugan confused with Megaton Musashi.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Madoka led to the creation of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrgxHDoe8gA and that alone is enough to justify its existence.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to know how drrockso feels about evangelion now. after all i keep hearing madoka is the evangelion of magical girls so i'm sure evangelion ruined mecha anime the same way

Booky posted:

isn't madoka not even really that bleak too? :psyduck: it's fine to not like bleak stuff if thats not ur thing but iirc there's always been dark takes on genres, especially magical girl shows, and madoka seemed pretty influential which is why there was a lot of bad copies or w/e

from like, the halfway point until close to (but not actually at) the end it's fairly bleak. i wouldn't put it on the same level of bleakness as devilman crybaby even at its peak but i don't think it's an entirely inaccurate word to use to describe madoka

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Aug 6, 2021

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Actually I'm more than fine with Evangelion(well besides 3.33 that is)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Ppl hate Devilman Crybaby? I get the “deconstruction” hate though. I’m into and make electronic/bass/club music and for the last 5? Years “deconstructed club music” is basically an easy way of saying yeah I like dance music but im gonna act like im better than the entire scene. IDM (“intelligent” dance music)was used in the same way in 90s.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Devilman Crybaby is bad I agree. However I disagree with drrockso's reasons for it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well crybaby at least draws the dislike of both people who don't like bleak media (idk can i treat this like a group? bc people go on about it in the face of "how much our world sucks now" etc) and also people who dislike the changes it makes from the source

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I don’t get the change the source material argument simply because that devilman story has been told a numerous times now? At this point I think it’s okay to do whatever you want or do ppl really just want it refreshed every decade? Would take a new Violence Jack though just to see ppl go insane online.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i get not enjoying bleak media but the way people act like it's some kind of active detriment on society that needs to be destroyed is loving weird

in fact, i find that mindset kind of bleak

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A lot of the appeal of Crybaby is that it's a Maasaki Yuasa joint, who makes absolutely beautiful organic works. Devilman was an unexpectedly perfect fit for him and making as tragic as was definitely felt like a fitting extension of his previous work

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tokubetsu posted:

I don’t get the change the source material argument simply because that devilman story has been told a numerous times now? At this point I think it’s okay to do whatever you want or do ppl really just want it refreshed every decade? Would take a new Violence Jack though just to see ppl go insane online.

i assume they wanted something closer to a full adaptation of the series storyline, since the OVAs only covered up to Sirene or are an alt-take thing like Amon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly at this point the most refreshing thing they could do with Devilman is something more in line with the original Toei anime than aping the manga again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

muike posted:

A lot of the appeal of Crybaby is that it's a Maasaki Yuasa joint, who makes absolutely beautiful organic works. Devilman was an unexpectedly perfect fit for him and making as tragic as was definitely felt like a fitting extension of his previous work

I thought it wasn't a great fit, the show felt constantly at odds with the yuasa show within and the narrative skeleton around it to me. And to be honest I think there are some peolle that will always give yuasa a pass for whatever reaosn. Definitely not his best work by a longshot. The final episode was loving radical though!