Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Huge lack of respect for gaped dragon itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That pathetic fucker who get baited into exposing his stubby widdle head for you to beat down deserves no respect. And neither do I for dying to him, twice.

Absolutely humiliating.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RatHat posted:

For dragon fights I've always liked Sinh more than Midir. I guess I'd rank them Sinh>Midir>Kalameet>>>>>>Ancient Dragon.
:hmmyes:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've grown to really like Midir and Defiled Amygdala, they're big beast bosses that instead of gluing yourself to a blindspot by their butt, you face them head on. Play their game and they become so much less unpredictable. It turns into a back and forth dance. One of my favorite things about Phase 2 Amy, when they start using that scary arcane palm slams that leaves a deadly lingering hitbox, you can position yourself in a safe zone that is scarily close to their left hand, giving you ample opportunity to charge in and strike their weakspot.

But Midir final phase is much more fun than Phase 3 Amy, which is a tedious chore.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
ludwig's an incredibly well done big monster boss fight imo, though obviously he does a switcheroo for the second half

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ludwig is an excellent fight, even if your ultimate goal is to get around his sides and break his limbs, Ludwig has lots of little tricks to dislodge you from your comfy position. Lots of thrashes and swipes that reach around and away from him, forcing side and back dodges.

But this slightly degenerate strategy shows itself in phase 2. In spite of Ludwig's magnificence and majesty, he still holds his arms in front of him, so when he does his scary sword flash or sword stab, being around his back is much safer. His side swipes are easy to dodge.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

tote up a bags posted:

Huge lack of respect for gaped dragon itt

The gaping dragon is an amazing visual design, but it's a slow fight of you baiting it into charging into a wall, then hitting it. It's also a newbie NPC summon trap because having Solaire and/or Lautrec with you will inflate its HP to a crazy level. But their AIs are too stupid for this high octane combat and they'll die pretty quick, leaving you alone with an even bigger damage sponge than normal.

Phobophilia posted:

But Midir final phase is much more fun than Phase 3 Amy, which is a tedious chore.

You mean the phase where it rips its arms out? That part is super easy. You need to get under it, then when it hops into the air, dash forward through where its little tail was a minute ago and it'll graciously land with its big booger head right next to you to smack until you can break it for a final visceral. If you time it right, and have a decently fast weapon, you can even get a full charge attack off right as it lands next to you.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Nuns with Guns posted:

You mean the phase where it rips its arms out? That part is super easy. You need to get under it, then when it hops into the air, dash forward through where its little tail was a minute ago and it'll graciously land with its big booger head right next to you to smack until you can break it for a final visceral. If you time it right, and have a decently fast weapon, you can even get a full charge attack off right as it lands next to you.

Ah you mean using ludwig’s sword R2 and employing the only realistic strategy for beating the chalice dungeon Amy. It’s either get utterly wrecked over and over or win the fight without taking a single hit

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Aidan_702 posted:

Ah you mean using ludwig’s sword R2 and employing the only realistic strategy for beating the chalice dungeon Amy. It’s either get utterly wrecked over and over or win the fight without taking a single hit

Not going to lie, I died a lot to the chalice Amygdala, but it was all in the first 60% of its HP bar. I think I killed it on like the 3rd or so instance I got it down to that final phase because that's by far the easiest one to avoid getting hit in while locking it into a super easy attack loop of hops and head bonks.

Or you can be a big brained genius who uses arcane spells, bowblade arrows, or the threaded cane/beastcutter whip mode if you're a coward, I guess. :mad:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah the fact you're no longer facing Amy head on makes it a chore. And hope you bought a weapon with a vertical swing arc.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

ZZZorcerer posted:

Better monstrous enemies/bosses fights is something From needs to improve on. The humanoids are great and Sekiro has the best duels.

Absolutely. I think Demon of Hatred, basically the only Soulsborne style boss in Sekiro, is pretty good. I'd prefer more of that and fewer gigantic flailing monstrosities, where half the challenge is wrestling with the terrible camera.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Demon of Hatred is amazing, one of the best fights in the game. My only complaint is that I still haven't figured out how to avoid his phase 2 ranged attack where he shoots a huge cone of fire at you along the ground. I know you're theoretically supposed to jump and grapple over it but even running full-tilt there's almost never enough time to get the indicator before you take damage, and every time I do manage I have no idea how I did it or how to replicate it.

It's something made largely irrelevant by knowing how vulnerable he is to staggers, where it's easily possible to only see that pattern once in the whole fight if at all, but still frustrating not to have mastered it after all this time.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Demon of Hatred is amazing, one of the best fights in the game. My only complaint is that I still haven't figured out how to avoid his phase 2 ranged attack where he shoots a huge cone of fire at you along the ground. I know you're theoretically supposed to jump and grapple over it but even running full-tilt there's almost never enough time to get the indicator before you take damage, and every time I do manage I have no idea how I did it or how to replicate it.

It's something made largely irrelevant by knowing how vulnerable he is to staggers, where it's easily possible to only see that pattern once in the whole fight if at all, but still frustrating not to have mastered it after all this time.

When you're approaching him run forward and to the right, I think the cone spreads a bit more slowly to the side so you should be able to jump+grapple more easily. Always worked for me anyway.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
While the Ivory King might not have been the greatest fight in the series, the lead up to him and his entrance are by and away the most memorable to me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mesadoram posted:

While the Ivory King might not have been the greatest fight in the series, the lead up to him and his entrance are by and away the most memorable to me.

I like that fight a lot, but the entrance where he walks out of the massive abyssal hellmouth and this music kicks in really is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alTQiC6hhGc

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
Yeah, I never understood the complaint that DS2 has too many armored knight bosses. Those are the most fun to fight. Ivory King, Fume Knight, and Sir Alonne are all pretty good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

acyclicity posted:

Yeah, I never understood the complaint that DS2 has too many armored knight bosses. Those are the most fun to fight. Ivory King, Fume Knight, and Sir Alonne are all pretty good.

There's a clue in that you just listed three DLC bosses

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, Smelty, Looking Glass Knight, Velstadt, and Throne Defender + Throne Watcher are good fights too, imo. DS2's boss issue is that the non-DLC monster bosses tend towards being boring or tissue-paper delicate.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
DS2s main issue is it controls worse than all the other games in the series

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

multijoe posted:

There's a clue in that you just listed three DLC bosses

Fair enough, though I also liked The Pursuer (the first time, at least) and the Velstadt fights. Don't get me wrong, DS2 has some of the laziest boss design in the series. I just don't think that's due to the abundance of humanoid knights. It's mostly because of stuff like "Hey, let's make the player fight two copies of the boss they already fought earlier" or "Here's a worse version of a Dark Souls 1 boss" or (my personal favorite) "Literally a Room Full of Rats: The Boss".

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
If you didn't like the fight against Vanguard, The Royal Rat, I don't know what to say.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Explicitly horde-themed bosses in Souls games are rarely amazing but they're not awful either. The combat system isn't really designed to make that interesting, but it does have some support for it, especially if you're using a heavy weapon.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lots of rats Good, one big rat Bad

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

acyclicity posted:

Fair enough, though I also liked The Pursuer (the first time, at least) and the Velstadt fights. Don't get me wrong, DS2 has some of the laziest boss design in the series. I just don't think that's due to the abundance of humanoid knights. It's mostly because of stuff like "Hey, let's make the player fight two copies of the boss they already fought earlier" or "Here's a worse version of a Dark Souls 1 boss" or (my personal favorite) "Literally a Room Full of Rats: The Boss".

Yeah I'd agree with that, the nadir for me was Coveteous Demon which looks like it should be a legit fight and then is just ... nothing. If anything the DLC actually makes the knight theme pretty good between Fume & Alonne

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Alonne's theme is so good too. I ended up downloading this piano/strings arrangement for my playlists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PO9IpkPeMg

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Lots of rats Good, one big rat Bad

:haibrow:

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
At least Deacons and Phalanx felt legitimately different from the normal enemy encounters in their respective games. Giving a single rat a mohawk doesn't make it a boss.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you misunderstood giving a single rat a mohawk makes it boss

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The rat mob fight was their best use of the copy paste tool in the game, that at least was an entertaining gimmick with a funny tell for the real boss. Certainly better than gargoyles x4, dragonriders x2, ruin sentinels x3 or any of the spam elite mob encounters

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think you'll find that the multiple boss instances were a deliberate design decision because they were so good that 3-5x the bosses = 3-5x the goodness, which is why DS2 is the best one

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ornstein and Ornstein and Smough

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Ornstein and Ornstein and Smough

yeah see how much better this would've been? smh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fighting one Ornstein in DS2 did illustrate why they leant on the c&p tool in that game because they had no other ideas on how to make a boss hard other than that or setting HP/damage values to 999999999

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

This is why the Abyss Watchers has the potential to be infinitely better than any other boss fight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The rat fights and rat covenant were the best parts of any Souls game, fite me :colbert:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Deep hack: if you let 5 of The Four Kings spawn on the map at a time, they merge together mech-style into the previously-assumed cut boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4-boABnb_U

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245620/ELDEN_RING/

quote:

In addition to multiplayer, where you can directly connect with other players and travel together, the game supports a unique asynchronous online element that allows you to feel the presence of others.
:raise:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
It's just gonna be some form of message system and phantoms/bloodstains again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When you play on PS5 with haptics then you're constantly feeling the sweaty palm grips haptically scanned from other players experiencing the same area in real-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's just gonna be some form of message system and phantoms/bloodstains again.
No.

deep dish peat moss posted:

When you play on PS5 with haptics then you're constantly feeling the sweaty palm grips haptically scanned from other players experiencing the same area in real-time
Yes!