Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

anyone got any opinions on whether 2 is skippable or essential?

it's the best in the series IMO, don't skip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I spent about 40 something hours hating almost every second of Dark Souls 2, but now I'm about 50 hours in and suddenly I kind of like it even though I can still see all the glaring flaws. I don't know if I just got accustomed to its bullshit or if the game just somehow got better and exhausted all its dumb ideas.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 6, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Dark Souls 2 is a great game. I'm not going to say if it is the best or not but imo all Soulsborne games are well worth playing.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dark souls 2 could easily have felt like "dark souls 1 part 2: the expansion pack" but it managed to feel like an actual sequel and that alone deserves respect

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ShoogaSlim posted:

double post bc this is a Dead Thread™

do not justify your double posts.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i double post all the time

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

even in threads that are not dead or dying

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

you need the extra space and the edit button takes too long and someone might have replied to your post before the edit!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

:justpost:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

dark souls 2 owns.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dark Souls 2 is super great. It has a very different feel to the other games. If you enjoyed the final few areas of the first game that were clearly super rushed and IMO bad there's very little as bad as that in DS2. It will take some getting used to, though.

Did you do the DLC in the first game? If you plan on doing the DLC of 3 in particular it calls back to 2 in some good ways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls 2 rules, definitely worth playing them in order. I just remembered Dark Souls 1 drops you straight into NG+ which is a shame because I was def gonna recommend going and doing the (excellent) DLC

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Dark souls 2 could easily have felt like "dark souls 1 part 2: the expansion pack" but it managed to feel like an actual sequel and that alone deserves respect

Much unlike Dark Souls 3, sadly

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Please, please, do not skip Dark Souls II. Every single dark souls has something unique to offer and playing them in order gives you the sense of progression of the development of FromSoftware as a company and what they want to output.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skip Dark Souls 2

:twisted:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just went back to Dark Souls Remastered after playing Bloodborne and wow does it look and feel like rear end now

maybe I need to give it more time

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Please, please, do not skip Dark Souls II. Every single dark souls has something unique to offer and playing them in order gives you the sense of progression of the development of FromSoftware as a company and what they want to output.

This. Every Dark Souls plays different and has its ups and downs. Dark Souls 2 SoTFS is really BIG if you do all content.

I think, besides the DLC co-op zones that I hate, my only complaints at DS2 is adaptability to get iframes as a stat you have to level up (common complain), the lightning got shafted to be able to get PS360 versions and some enemies (in fact a lot) have terrible and unfinished animations. People hate the "DS2 was made by B-team" but considering that FROM was developing Bloodborne at the same time... it's easy to think that. Still, DS2 has amazing areas, the biggest weapon selection and widest build variety, powerstancing and the DLC areas are drat great.

Play them in order, enjoy them all and of course, play Bloodborne, Sekiro and when it gets released, Elden Ring.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

I don't know OP. Do what your heart tells you

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Should I get PSNow or does it suck? The Xbox equivalent seems awesome

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Inspector Hound posted:

Doesn't even come close to what Xbox Gamepass is doing unfortunately.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Of all the Souls games, I would most like Dark Souls 2 to get a proper remaster or remake. I'd like to go back and play it again because I really do enjoy the gameplay but it just looks so bad. I don't want the same level of darkness as in the original E3 demo, but it really needs a lighting overhaul and that original demo showed it could have looked like had they not gutted the lighting completely.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m almost done with Dark Souls 3 and bought Dark Souls 2 for :10bux: and I’m honestly looking forward to it

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m almost done with Dark Souls 3 and bought Dark Souls 2 for :10bux: and I’m honestly looking forward to it

You should! I get that some people don’t think it’s as good as the others but it’s still excellent, people are weird

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
DS2 aged really well. It's large, full of different enemies, a billion weapons and armor, lots of deep and weird lore, and has some great DLC zones. The Scholar of the First Sin edition did a lot to fix the issues with the original DS2 (still have a copy of that in the metal case), and the NPC invaders and summons are absolutely fantastic.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Do it! And then :justpost:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I bounced off DS2 way back when, but I'm excited to give it another shot after I finish my DS1 replay. I think I'll have an easier time accepting it now that I know what to expect.

I'm just now playing the DS1 DLC for the first time, somehow I never got spoiled on it, and it's seriously excellent. I got so excited when I left the sanctuary and realized where I was :D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

it stinks, not worth it at all imo. gamepass is leagues ahead

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s pretty harsh. It’s no gamepass for sure but if you want to just mess around with a bunch of random PS3 or PS4 games for a month or two it works great for that

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Hal Insandenza posted:

That’s pretty harsh. It’s no gamepass for sure but if you want to just mess around with a bunch of random PS3 or PS4 games for a month or two it works great for that

I wouldn't say it works "great" for ps3 games, the streaming is extremely hit or miss.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

thanks for all the responses. i had a feeling that question would rile up some opinions. looks like im gonna seek out a copy of ds2 today/this weekend.

as for ds1, im only a little bummed that i got to gwyn around 2am and felt too stubborn to take a break to go finish sidequests and do the dlc (which i totally forgot about, derp)

Guillermus posted:

Play them in order, enjoy them all and of course, play Bloodborne, Sekiro and when it gets released, Elden Ring.

already played bloodborne and got the plat! then i played demons souls on ps5 and decided to go through the dark souls games. i plan on doing sekiro last unless elden ring comes out before i can finish ds2 and ds3

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

MZ posted:

Doesn't even come close to what Xbox Gamepass is doing unfortunately.

Sad, that Xbox one is pretty cool. I hope Sony evolves a little on it, I'm going to have to pick a next gen system for stupid battlefield soon

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

gamepass is much better, and if you sign up for crunchyroll (even for the free trial), you get three months of it for free, but you need a PC nice enough to run the games of course, or an xbox.

however, PS Now isn't bad at all, it used to be worse, but it's noticeably improved over the few years i've tried it. also you can download ps4 games, so it's like it solely depends on whether your internet is good enough to stream ps3 games.

A Short Hike is great, but it's like a 2-3ish hour long game, if i remember correctly, maybe a bit longer if you try to do everything in the game, but yeah, it's like a Journey sized game.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

bop bop perano posted:

A Short Hike is great, but it's like a 2-3ish hour long game, if i remember correctly, maybe a bit longer if you try to do everything in the game, but yeah, it's like a Journey sized game.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed it as a nice relaxing experience before bed.

Edit: In more Forgotten City updates, I am still absolutely loving it. However, I'd be lying if I said the load times weren't LONG. After deaths/loops it's not so bad, as it gives me a second to process what I did this loop and what I may want to focus on next loop, but the loading between areas isn't great either (my partner says they're also pretty long on the PC version). Regardless, I still very much recommend it if mysteries, time loops, or "everyone's on a schedule" games are your Thing like they are mine.

Spoiler for a puzzle involving the assassin: At one point, you witness a building collapse on a woman. When you loop, you now know that this happens and can prevent the woman from entering the building, then trick the assassin, who is on the hunt for a certain person, into entering said building to be killed by the collapse.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 6, 2021

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

A Short Hike is a really good goof around game for kids just getting used to a controller, my daughter loved just running around the island

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I just posted this in the Dark Souls 2 thread last night :kiddo: DS2 is my absolute favorite of all of the Soulsborne games and everything after it was a disappointment to me, I'm very hype for Elden Ring since it looks like a return to what I'm talking about here:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I agree with this post from a few pages ago. DS2 is peak Soulsborne to me. I liked it so much that I bought it 3 times - I had it on PS3, then later on PC, then on PC again when SotFS came out. I played all the way through probably a dozen times on PS3 :shrug: It's full of memorable, fantastical moments and the world and environments vibrantly stand out to me. A lot of the criticism I remember was that it was too "high fantasy" or too "bright" but those are two of the things I loved about it, it just felt like much more of a storied and fabled world than anything in any other Soulsborne game. Shrine of Amana, the Dragon Aerie, the Belfry - even these areas that people often refer to as "bad" are memorable to me because they visually told a story better than environments in any other game in the series. They felt grand and overwhelming in a way nothing in DS3 does. Hell, even Things Betwixt is my favorite starting zone from any Souls game - it sets the tone of being in a fairy tale fable version of Dark Souls right away what with being surrounded by giant tree roots and guided by mysterious forest witches. It's also the only Soulsborne game (at least as far as I know) to show the ruin of the world beyond the scope of Humans and humanoid gods - you have other cultures and species on display like the beastmen, the weird belfry dudes, the Giants - the whole thing was much better at portraying the sense of loss and despair that had befallen the world because it showed us that the world was a lot bigger and less human-centric than shown in other games in the series.

Those grand fantasy moments were also my favorite part of DS1 - the Duke's Archives and the crystal caves, the gigantic tree-roots in The Great Hollow and the ruins of a demon civilization. The Souls series shifting away from that into a bunch of mundane grey-and-brown werewolf stuff is one of gaming's biggest disappointments to me :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I just posted this in the Dark Souls 2 thread last night :kiddo: DS2 is my absolute favorite of all of the Soulsborne games and everything after it was a disappointment to me, I'm very hype for Elden Ring since it looks like a return to what I'm talking about here:

oof, yeah i pretty much disagree with all that. but whatever, i'm glad you enjoy DS2 :glomp:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hell yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

deep dish ur champion...has arrived

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyone know what the business side of things are for something like gamepass? Does Microsoft pay devs a bunch of money, enough to offset the fact that everyone is getting their game for free? Do devs like having their games put on there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

picked up DS2 used and fired it up today

the first time i died was bc i rolled into an exploding barrel.

the second time was because i pressed O to slide down a ladder and my character just let go instead.

then, after resting at a bonfire, it turns out a door i previously opened is now closed again?

e: nvm i was checking the wrong door lol. the one i opened is still open.

this is... going to test my patience