Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/1423176960520462338?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Lawyers, Guns and Money.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i hope his huawei brand computer has a hardcoded keylogger that logs all his butts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

That isn't an entrepreneur, that is a rich child heir in an ugly expensive suite with a poo poo haircut.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

low effort Austin Powers Cosplay. none of that Joie de vivre either

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The typical suburbanite kid with a lemonade stand has more "entrepreneurial spirit" than a kid playing with daddy's money.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's a kid who paid $250 for a IG photoshoot in a grounded plane.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

He literally had a series of failed scam businesses before he decided that creating his own crypto coin was the best use of his time and money.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

punishedkissinger posted:

He literally had a series of failed scam businesses before he decided that creating his own crypto coin was the best use of his time and money. started a potentially successful scam business

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Harrypottercoin

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LanceHunter posted:

That's a bit like asking who cares how fast a person can run when we live in a world with cars and airplanes. There's still something worthwhile in seeing how precise you can make a purely mechanical device, even if only for aesthetic reasons.

I do hate the trend that's arisen where high-end mechanical watches have to make their mechanisms as visible as possible (I guess to prove they're actually mechanical), though.
I love make work and art that advances the state of the art. I love mechanisms. I especially love mechanisms used well in places they do their job.

Among other things these fanciest of fancy watches will very often include a tourbillon. A tourbillon is a device that rotates some or all of the entire mechanism to average and integrate out gravitational error. They are meant to be used in conjunction with a suspension possibly as simple as hanging from a rope, or at the close of the age of mechanical time pieces with a whole apparatus that is basically an easycam suspension.

So now what is the point of a tourbillon we take and put on the wristwatch of a guy who swings golf clubs all day and routinely wildly gesticulates at the help when they are pretending not to understand English? It's a caveman taking a laptop and strapping it to a stick and saying "hey guys, check out my high tech adze."

There's a metaphor about Bitcoin in here and using Merkle trees for ledgers if you look closely.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I wonder which parent knows the reporter.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

webcams for christ posted:

low effort Austin Powers Cosplay. none of that Joie de vivre either

exactly my thought lol

also I kind of think the ferrari engine watch is cool, not 7 figures cool of course. I'm kind of surprised there isn't some version of that by some watchmaker for Corvette Guys, it seems like a thing they'd be really into

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Isn't Forbes like one step above Medium in terms of how easy it is to be a "contributor"?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Code Jockey posted:

exactly my thought lol

also I kind of think the ferrari engine watch is cool, not 7 figures cool of course. I'm kind of surprised there isn't some version of that by some watchmaker for Corvette Guys, it seems like a thing they'd be really into

I don't think Corvette guys are gonna give up their Rolexes.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1421840824359428099?s=19

Sorry of this was posted earlier but this is pretty huge. If they're mailing 1099s then they're providing estimates to the government regarding gains and losses.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Party Boat posted:

Isn't Forbes like one step above Medium in terms of how easy it is to be a "contributor"?
If you check the author bio he literally calls it his blog. I think you just buy in for access to an "editor" who just gatekeeps anything really problematic and hope your page visits pay for the continuing access.

They have a little info box popup next to the byline that tells you if they are a blogger or a staff reporter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's a kid who paid $250 for a IG photoshoot in a grounded plane.

Not even a plane.
There are places now that have fake parts of plane and boat interiors in a warehouse and just rent them out by the hour to tik tokers.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zedprime posted:

If you check the author bio he literally calls it his blog. I think you just buy in for access to an "editor" who just gatekeeps anything really problematic and hope your page visits pay for the continuing access.

They have a little info box popup next to the byline that tells you if they are a blogger or a staff reporter.

I've been tempted to get in on the Forbes contributor program so I can get blue-check'd on Twitter. It's been kind of a pain in the rear end trying to get the exact details, though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

I don't think Corvette guys are gonna give up their Rolexes.

A REAL car guy would have a mini gasoline powered replica of their favorite engine to run their watch. Loud random revving feature not optional.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

punishedkissinger posted:

what time is it though

TIME TO GET A ...oh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/1423372083732520963

Lmao

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Apologies if this was already covered in a tweet but

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
no Y

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EorayMel posted:

Buy! BUY!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

EorayMel posted:

Penny stocks rule

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Nah, prob unrelated

https://twitter.com/StateCommon/status/1423385287921520645

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does tether have inflation or is it magically immune and always worth 1 of itself / making the finicial feefees always = good?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PhazonLink posted:

does tether have inflation or is it magically immune and always worth 1 of itself / making the finicial feefees always = good?

each Tether is FOR SURE, truly, backed by 1 hard-minted erect US dollar, for sure, for sure!

It's not just someone typing a number into a database (sorry I meant BLOCKCHAIN)

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

each Tether is FOR SURE, truly, backed by 1 hard-minted erect US dollar, for sure, for sure!

It's not just someone typing a number into a database (sorry I meant BLOCKCHAIN)

Each tether is backed by a dollar. Its just that they are all backed by the same dollar.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

if a dollar is 3 cents. yes tether is fully backed by a dollar

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Strong Sauce posted:

if a dollar is a scrap of paper saying "we owe you some money lol". yes tether is fully backed by a dollar

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

IIRC the Tether terms, it's backed by other 'stablecoins' (that are backed by Tether).

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Now that Ted Cruz has grown a beard we needed a new contender for World's Most Punchable Face.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

As long as nobody wants to cash out the tethers it's all good. The only reason this works is because of hodlers never cashing out and never sharing their passwords with their next of kin when they die of poor hygiene.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Code Jockey posted:

if a dollar is a scrap of paper saying "we owe you some money lol". yes tether is fully backed by a dollar

Pretty much Tether in a nutshell.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

craptocurrency imo

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Just saw this one, too:

https://twitter.com/andersleehere/status/1423498438830919681?s=20

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Strong Sauce posted:

if a dollar is 3 cents. yes tether is fully backed by a dollar

No way they have 3% of the market volume in cash. Some kind of forced audit by a major player (USA or EU) would be the bomb, not some bought off accountant firms report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’d pay maybe like $300 for one of those watches. Maybe $500 for the Ferrari one.

They should track who buys them and then liquidate their assets because — okay, I’m just jealous because I want to get in on a scam like this. Rip off the wealthy and give them $100 watches? Sign me the gently caress up, victimless crime.