Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You'd need to do some measuring and possibly change up your spice jars, but this is my jam:

https://www.verticalspice.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Admittedly not for everyone, but I love the poo poo out of these. Have them on the side of the fridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Gneiss-Spice...897056585&psc=1

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Anyone have experience with induction top ranges like this? My house came with a kinda cheap electric range and I'm trying to find something worth replacing it with

https://www.build.com/product/summa...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My friend was telling me about this new ninja creami

When she was telling me about it I thought it was just some other ice cream maker until I looked it up. It looks like a pacojet designed for home use.

https://m.ninjakitchen.com/exclusiv...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I might have to get one now.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thumposaurus posted:

When she was telling me about it I thought it was just some other ice cream maker until I looked it up. It looks like a pacojet designed for home use.

For US$200 I'm not seeing it. Like for US$50 more you can wait for a sale and get a Vitamix 5200 that you can use the same way.

What am I missing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thumposaurus posted:

Neat

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SubG posted:

For US$200 I'm not seeing it. Like for US$50 more you can wait for a sale and get a Vitamix 5200 that you can use the same way.

What am I missing?

If you could do it with a Vitamix, restaurants wouldn't spend 6 grand on the Pacojet.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SubG posted:

What am I missing?

I've used pacojets at restaurants for years you can't get the same results out of a blender as you can out of a pacojet.
I have 2 different vitamixes and a blendtec blender already.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

But that's not a pacojet. It's a US$200 Ninja.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It appears to be a ninja pacojet clone though?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

mystes posted:

It appears to be a ninja pacojet clone though?
Yeah, okay. And what does that actually mean? I know what you get from a pacojet. You are not getting that from a US$200 Ninja. Like the documentation for the ninja thing warns you that hard frozen fruit might damage the unit. It tells you not to freeze your base in a chest freezer because they get too cold. It even says not to process fuckin ice cubes. And so on. Which just means that the Ninja isn't a loving monster like the pacojet. Which, yeah, it's two bills instead of several grand. It's not unexpected. But my question is if you're not getting a bulletproof monster, what's the advantage to a low-power knockoff pacojet versus a high-end blender?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pacojets are more fragile than the high $$$ price tag would lead you to believe.
I've seen 3 different machines fail in different ways from being used with stuff frozen too hard.

When one breaks it has to be sent out to be fixed as you can't just pop over to Walmart and buy a new one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Are you saying that the US$200 Ninja is basically as good as a pacojet?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I don't know I've not used the ninja

https://twitter.com/ChefChrisYoung/status/1421984870775934977?s=20

This guy says he's going to get one and tear it down and see.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

I don't know I've not used the ninja

https://twitter.com/ChefChrisYoung/status/1421984870775934977?s=20

This guy says he's going to get one and tear it down and see.
Cool, I'd like to see side-by-side comparisons.

Basically the fundamental reality is that for US$200 I'm not seeing Ninja getting a motor that's better than you get in a US$250 Vitamix. Because if they could do that, they'd already be doing that in their blenders, right? And with a Ninja blender the value proposition is that you're getting like 75% of the blender for around a quarter the price. Which, you know, is fine. But unless you're getting more motor in the US$200 Ninja then I don't see any way it's not going to have all the same failings versus a real pacojet that a Vitamix has. Only with the US$200 Ninja you can't do all the other things you can do with a high-end blender.

Like I guess if you were making a whole shitload of fancy bespoke ice cream on site it might be worthwhile to have a button for it instead of having to twiddle the speed dial or whatever. But this thing's clearly aimed at home kitchens and I just don't see the advantage of a unitasker that takes up the same space and costs as much as a more versatile machine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A Pacojet is a simpler problem than a general blender, though. Since the base is frozen in place, the blades can build up speed before being slowly fed down through at a slow feed rate. With a blender you always have the full weight and resistance of the ingredients on top, jostling and impulsing on the blades.

https://youtu.be/VB1aedqeuKw

https://youtu.be/lpzD97nJqW8 7 minutes 30 seconds in, can't timestamp on mobile

It won't be as good as a Pacojet but it certainly could handle solid frozen better than a normal blender, in theory. Not sure how well they executed. Now if you just had that style blade on a stick blender it'd be even cheaper though wouldn't be as programmable and thus not as popular with the air fryer crowd.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 6, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's up with air fryers? My wife is talking about getting one.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If you meet these criteria, they're fine:

1. Don't already have a convection setting on your oven
2. Can spare the counter / storage space
3. Not willing to spend a bit more $ and space for a smart / steam oven
4. Put a high premium on dishwashing all the things

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubG posted:

Cool, I'd like to see side-by-side comparisons.

Basically the fundamental reality is that for US$200 I'm not seeing Ninja getting a motor that's better than you get in a US$250 Vitamix. Because if they could do that, they'd already be doing that in their blenders, right? And with a Ninja blender the value proposition is that you're getting like 75% of the blender for around a quarter the price. Which, you know, is fine. But unless you're getting more motor in the US$200 Ninja then I don't see any way it's not going to have all the same failings versus a real pacojet that a Vitamix has. Only with the US$200 Ninja you can't do all the other things you can do with a high-end blender.

Like I guess if you were making a whole shitload of fancy bespoke ice cream on site it might be worthwhile to have a button for it instead of having to twiddle the speed dial or whatever. But this thing's clearly aimed at home kitchens and I just don't see the advantage of a unitasker that takes up the same space and costs as much as a more versatile machine.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the Vitamix. The use case for this is not something that a Vitamix does or attempts to do. The comparison for this is Pacojet vs. Ninja clone vs. Nothing.

Like your argument is like you saying if I am deciding between getting a cheap Mitsubishi TV vs. a top of the line Samsung TV, the Mitsubishi TV is trash because Honda makes better cars.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

BrianBoitano posted:

If you meet these criteria, they're fine:

1. Don't already have a convection setting on your oven
2. Can spare the counter / storage space
3. Not willing to spend a bit more $ and space for a smart / steam oven
4. Put a high premium on dishwashing all the things

I have been kinda wanting a toaster oven, can a convection toaster oven do what an air fryer does? I don't even know what a steam oven is.

I'm worried we'll get an air fryer, make wings a few times, and then it'll wind up at the back of a cupboard.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

prom candy posted:

What's up with air fryers? My wife is talking about getting one.

My wife got one. I was a doubter — we already have a (Frigidaire) convection oven. I really like the air fryer now.
  • It gets super hot super fast.
  • The convection is very powerful. Convection oven : Air Fryer :: spring breeze : hurricane.
  • Cleaning up after cooking oily / saucey things is extremely easy. No tinfoil or baking sheets…

It’s a really simple device, and it does its thing well. I don’t think everyone needs to get one right now, but if you like cooking homemade fries, frying fish, chicken wings… it’s real nice.

e: we also use for heating up baguettes and roasting veggies. It’s a mini-oven.

DNK fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 6, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Toaster ovens are great. I use mine to make toast, cook meatballs as well as reheat pastries and deep-fried food. It also suffices to keep food warm if you have that need. To me it's an essential.

For cooking slabs of meat or any big batch of food, I'd use a convection oven. Some have a giant fan like air fryers.

My air fryer mostly just sits unused. To me the main difference with a convection oven is the shape -- basket vs tray.

The point about cleanup being easier is confusing to me. Seems about the same as ovens to me -- either lay down some foil/paper or wash a metal basket/tray.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

With a blender you always have the full weight and resistance of the ingredients on top, jostling and impulsing on the blades.
Kinda. Like in practice you end up feeding it in bit by bit using a tamper or whatever.

Doom Rooster posted:

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the Vitamix. The use case for this is not something that a Vitamix does or attempts to do. The comparison for this is Pacojet vs. Ninja clone vs. Nothing.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, no. It's absolutely something you can do with a high-end blender.

Like the fundamental problem being solved by all ice cream making techniques is you can't just mix up an ice cream base and freeze it. Because you wouldn't get ice cream, you'd get a milk ice cube. All "conventional" ice cream machines solve this problem by agitating the ice cream base as it's freezing and produce the right texture that way. If you're really motivated you can do the same thing purely by hand (like just throw a ziplock full of ice cream base into the freezer and take it out every half hour or so and agitate it by hand until it's done). The gimmick with a pacojet and that ninja thing is that you're freezing poo poo up front and you're using a powerful motor to churn it to give you the texture you want. You can do that with a high-end blender as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you stick a giant block of frozen ice cream mix into a vitamix you will end up with ice cream flavored smoothie because it has to liquify the frozen stuff at the bottom before new stuff can make it down there. The pacojet / ninja clone moves the blade up and down so it doesn't have to actually become liquid to get the entire batch. Is $200 enough to make something as well built as a Vitamix? No, but you're probably not making ice cream every day and the blade probably moves a lot slower. Does the Pacojet have $6k worth of hardware in it? Hahaha gently caress no.

Also the Pacojet does something with ~~pressure~~ that is probably not at all necessary and I can't find an explanation on what it's even supposed to do. I bet there hasn't been a Pacojet clone before because whatever patents they had just expired, not because you need a $2k motor or whatever.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 6, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Never mind

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Someone with experience correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that the Pacojet shaves off the top of a frozen-rock-solid container

A vitamix’s blade geometry forces a lot of vertical motion, so it’s designed to blend a fluid that can move around the whole container.

Yes?

In theory, yes. In practice, if the thing you put into the Vitamix isn't a fluid, it will shortly become one. This includes but is not limited to - frozen icecream mix, ice cubes, fruits, vegetables, half an entire chicken (including bones), wooden spoons, plastic spoons and human hands. They're made exclusively to turn [thing] into [liquid thing] and they're drat good at it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

KillHour posted:

Also the Pacojet does something with ~~pressure~~ that is probably not at all necessary and I can't find an explanation on what it's even supposed to do. I bet there hasn't been a Pacojet clone before because whatever patents they had just expired, not because you need a $2k motor or whatever.
The high pressure blending...sorry pacotizing®...process introduces more air into the material being blended. The documentation claims the difference is between around 5% air at regular pressure and around 30% at high pressure. The idea being that you get lighter sorbet or whatever. I don't think the ninja thing claims to do anything similar, or at least if they do it doesn't appear to be in the manual or anything.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The pacojet has a button on the front that opens a little valve that releases air. If you hold it in while it's running you get a denser final product as the air doesn't get forced into it.

After it's run you have to push that button to release the pressure on the container before you can remove it.

This is for the first generation pacojet the pacojet 2 did all of this via the control panel which I'm assuming the ninja is also doing with its different programs.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

SubG posted:

Kinda. Like in practice you end up feeding it in bit by bit using a tamper or whatever.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, no. It's absolutely something you can do with a high-end blender.

Like the fundamental problem being solved by all ice cream making techniques is you can't just mix up an ice cream base and freeze it. Because you wouldn't get ice cream, you'd get a milk ice cube. All "conventional" ice cream machines solve this problem by agitating the ice cream base as it's freezing and produce the right texture that way. If you're really motivated you can do the same thing purely by hand (like just throw a ziplock full of ice cream base into the freezer and take it out every half hour or so and agitate it by hand until it's done). The gimmick with a pacojet and that ninja thing is that you're freezing poo poo up front and you're using a powerful motor to churn it to give you the texture you want. You can do that with a high-end blender as well.

Do you have any links to videos/instructions for this? I’ve never heard this claim before and my pastry chef who has been begging for a Pacojet that we absolutely cannot afford would be very interested.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't a Pacojet essentially like a very fancy version of a hand-powered shaved ice machine that goes down slowly scraping off a fine layer to make it fluffly? I don't see how you could possibly get the same result by dumping a solid block of ice into a vitamix, and it doesn't seem like the only issue would be how powerful the motor is, but then again I've never actually used a Pacojet.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is this a place I can ask about maintenance of kitchen equipment?

I inherited a fantastic copper sauce pot, it's vintage all-clad cop*r*chef. I have successfully polished decades of patina off the copper and it looks new, but I can't figure out how to get the grime off the bottom of the pan. I'm using barkeeper's friend and have let a paste soak for about ten minutes before scrubbing, to no effect.

My concern is primarily aesthetic, but I also want to ensure even heating for longevity.

Any suggestions would be welcome, including if there's a better place to post.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I inherited a fantastic copper sauce pot, it's vintage all-clad cop*r*chef. I have successfully polished decades of patina off the copper and it looks new, but I can't figure out how to get the grime off the bottom of the pan. I'm using barkeeper's friend and have let a paste soak for about ten minutes before scrubbing, to no effect.

My concern is primarily aesthetic, but I also want to ensure even heating for longevity.

Probably something along the lines of how you restore ages old cast iron. Coat it in oven cleaner and leave it over night in a plastic bag and then scrub the poo poo out of it while wearing rubber gloves and maybe an apron. You than also probably need to neutralize the oven cleaner with vinegar or something.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

Pacotizing® involves the micro-pureeing of fresh, deep-frozen ingredients under overpressure

just loving lmao

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Leon Sumbitches posted:

If its copper based, try using nitric acid. I used to work in a physics lab and we would clean the copper parts with 1 Molar Nitric Acid solution. Don't let it soak, just use it to rub off the layer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

If its copper based, try using nitric acid. I used to work in a physics lab and we would clean the copper parts with 1 Molar Nitric Acid solution. Don't let it soak, just use it to rub off the layer.

I once used nitric acid to remove some bronze deposits from a steel-like material. It soaked for a while but completely dissolved the bronze. I guess what I’m saying is be careful with nitric acid, it might eat your pan if you’re too generous.

If you decide to go this route, please do it outside, with gloves and eye protection.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Also some basic chemistry 101: pay extreme attention to the acid’s concentration.

Vinegar is just 4% Acetic Acid. If you bought 100% Acetic Acid and attempted to use it like Vinegar: lol.

It’s almost always better to use a lower concentration of acid. It may take longer, but it gives you finer control over its effects. Using highly concentrated nitric acid could just straight-up dissolve your cookware.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My asian market has high concentration vinegar with a big ol warning on it not to consume it undiluted

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DNK posted:

Also some basic chemistry 101: pay extreme attention to the acid’s concentration.

Vinegar is just 4% Acetic Acid. If you bought 100% Acetic Acid and attempted to use it like Vinegar: lol.

It’s almost always better to use a lower concentration of acid. It may take longer, but it gives you finer control over its effects. Using highly concentrated nitric acid could just straight-up dissolve your cookware.

Yeah… I was in a lab with a fume hood and full PPE, and I am still a bit skeptical that what I did was safe with 100% nitric acid. I had to use 100% nitric because dilution with water would have caused it to etch and/or eat the iron alloy base material. I definitely would not do it again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Yeah, thats why I specified the strength and the way to use it. Don't gently caress around and find out, you will regret it. Just soak a Qtip or paper towelwith it and gently rub, then immediately rinse with water. Repeat a few times and it will work without eating a hole in your pot/pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I decided to go the steel wool route and started with #4. It utterly scratched the surface, so I followed with a course of barkeeper's friend and then a buff with #0 steel wool. It's not perfect, but at over 40 years old it never would be. I'm pretty happy with how shiney it looks!

Glad I didn't have to bring any caustic chemicals into the mix, that poo poo makes me nervous.