Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

On the upside if Y the Last Man is successful maybe they'll do a TV show of that guy's follow up comic "what if Mayor Pete could talk to machines and saved one of the twin towers on 9/11"

how do you save only one of the towers on 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well he wasn't like hanging out in the sky before the first one got hit

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Kazzah posted:

yeah, that's true

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Maximo Roboto posted:

the main villain is an IDF commander

100% they change this to avoid heat

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Victory Position posted:

how do you save only one of the towers on 9/11

I would try to save the 3rd building that mysteriously collapsed despite NOT having been hit by a plane!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kazzah posted:

lol and then after that he still has to rig the election for nyc mayor

i'm a fan though, he's the civil engineer superhero

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A real American would have saved the brave soldiers and airmen who perished in the Pentagon.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

some plague rats posted:

bust rodd, thank u for being an ally

Is there some way to ban someone from being my ally? No reason.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I would try to save the 3rd building that mysteriously collapsed despite NOT having been hit by a plane!

wait, which one was that again?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Victory Position posted:

writing a script for Building Se7en with morgan freeman

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

swimsuit posted:

what’s the trueanon darkfeed

google "for broke epstein investigators"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Victory Position posted:

building 7, Brace and Liz do an excellent job covering building 7 in the True Anon 9/11 series and how there’s basically no way it collapsed without internal pressure point detonations because, as many engineers and fire departments knew/suggested, that building is not constructed in a way that would allow it to fully demolish itself if it were burning. that isn’t how those materials work.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bust Rodd posted:

building 7, Brace and Liz do an excellent job covering building 7 in the True Anon 9/11 series and how there’s basically no way it collapsed without internal pressure point detonations because, as many engineers and fire departments knew/suggested, that building is not constructed in a way that would allow it to fully demolish itself if it were burning. that isn’t how those materials work.

At the risk of wandering into a quagmire...worth noting that WTYP podcast did not come to the same conclusion, and thinks it was quite understandable that the building collapsed given its design.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

shirts and skins posted:

At the risk of wandering into a quagmire...worth noting that WTYP podcast did not come to the same conclusion, and thinks it was quite understandable that the building collapsed given its design.

can you link that specific episode? boy would I sure love to hear that, I’m still very into the rabbit hole

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

shirts and skins posted:

it makes no fuckin sense at all lol

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bust Rodd posted:

can you link that specific episode? boy would I sure love to hear that, I’m still very into the rabbit hole

Right here. It's a long one, as usual.

https://youtu.be/f7Qop_64qqk

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s really, really, ridiculously good science-fiction drama even if the landing doesn’t stick for everybody. Brian K Vaughn is a juggernaut and between this book and SaGa he’s cemented as one of the all time greats for the medium of science-fiction storytelling, comics or otherwise. The show appears to be taking some choices, like for example the main character being an ethnically ambiguous minority instead of an EXTREMELY white is a good first step. I’m so excited about a cast that is absolutely packed to the gills with women being heroes and villains, spies and soldiers and engineers and astronaughts and evil scientists and politicians and assassins. it’s a really loving awesome book and I’m hyped as gently caress about it. I really love The Boys and I thought Preacher had a really great TV interpretation with lots of heart. I think this show is going to be a very pleasant surprise to a lot of folks.

SaGa being capitalized like that made me have to check that he didn’t somehow write a novelization for the SaGa games. They wrote something called Saga.

Just to clear up the confusion for any other nerds.

TheMightyBoops has issued a correction as of 13:57 on Aug 6, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
cheers! gonna force all the dogs at work to become truthers with me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pcituring bust rodd talking to me about the Truth Behind 9/11 and giving myself an irl anxiety response

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TheMightyBoops posted:

SaGa being capitalized like that made me have to check that he didn’t somehow write a novelization for the SaGa games. They wrote something called Saga.

Just to clear up the confusion for any other nerds.

They should give Akitoshi Kawazu a tv deal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

it’s really, really, ridiculously good science-fiction drama even if the landing doesn’t stick for everybody. Brian K Vaughn is a juggernaut and between this book and SaGa he’s cemented as one of the all time greats for the medium of science-fiction storytelling, comics or otherwise. The show appears to be taking some choices, like for example the main character being an ethnically ambiguous minority instead of an EXTREMELY white is a good first step. I’m so excited about a cast that is absolutely packed to the gills with women being heroes and villains, spies and soldiers and engineers and astronaughts and evil scientists and politicians and assassins. it’s a really loving awesome book and I’m hyped as gently caress about it. I really love The Boys and I thought Preacher had a really great TV interpretation with lots of heart. I think this show is going to be a very pleasant surprise to a lot of folks.

Do people still care about Saga? I lost interest when the dude hit his wife. It went from the story of this family surviving to a story about endless bad things happening to this family for no reason.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

it makes no fuckin sense at all lol
my building 7 and collapse knowledge is no farther than the trueanon series and some snippets from @housetrotter. I would really like to know how wtyp squares that circle when it seems like numerous professional engineers/architects who works in this field seem very sure the collapse never should have happened and it was unprecedented (as far as I know) and the commission cooked the report in many ways.

maybe I should really watch the 9-part or whatever New Pearl Harbor series finally

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Bush did 9/11

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The explanation for building 7 that' I've heard is that it had no real internal supports, all the supporting structures were in the exterior walls. And the falling debris from the towers crushed one of the walls.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Right here. It's a long one, as usual.

https://youtu.be/f7Qop_64qqk

Timestamp for when it gets into Building 7 is 2:44:22

It's not super thorough because they were running long, but the short version is, it was a bizarre structure made of add-ons, and it was on fire.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Popy posted:

Bush did 9/11

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

9/11 was a hoax, it was all crisis actors. the towers were destroyed by the spirit of communism manifesting and public knowledge would make it stronger

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Do people still care about Saga? I lost interest when the dude hit his wife. It went from the story of this family surviving to a story about endless bad things happening to this family for no reason.

It wraps up the first half in the most liberal feminist guy way possible, where it expects that enough time has passed between issues that we're now on the side of the guys we haven't seen in a while, and thus what happens to them must be awful, and that, while dumber than the women, these guys have their hearts in the right place and should be remembered fondly as Good Men. As opposed to two lovely guys beating the tar out of each other, while the women cry that there must be a better way. Reading the whole 54 issue omnibus over a weekend, rather than over the course of six years, makes a lot of the flaws stand out. Still better than a lot of comics from the modern era, and I like that it had the awareness to say that "Maybe the people who based their lives around a crappy romance novel aren't the best people to run the world", even if it doesn't actually advocate for any real solution beyond "Drop out of society and live a rural life away from the bad people".

Great art, though!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Toph Bei Fong posted:

It wraps up the first half in the most liberal feminist guy way possible, where it expects that enough time has passed between issues that we're now on the side of the guys we haven't seen in a while, and thus what happens to them must be awful, and that, while dumber than the women, these guys have their hearts in the right place and should be remembered fondly as Good Men. As opposed to two lovely guys beating the tar out of each other, while the women cry that there must be a better way. Reading the whole 54 issue omnibus over a weekend, rather than over the course of six years, makes a lot of the flaws stand out. Still better than a lot of comics from the modern era, and I like that it had the awareness to say that "Maybe the people who based their lives around a crappy romance novel aren't the best people to run the world", even if it doesn't actually advocate for any real solution beyond "Drop out of society and live a rural life away from the bad people".

Great art, though!

I think those breakout American comics from the late 90s and 2000s benefited a ton from just not being superhero stories in a market saturated with superhero stories. Hell, how many ongoing American romance comics other than Saga can you name? I can't think of any. People want something different and Saga and The Walking Dead and Y the Last Man are something different put out by a major publisher with good art and advertising.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I think those breakout American comics from the late 90s and 2000s benefited a ton from just not being superhero stories in a market saturated with superhero stories. Hell, how many ongoing American romance comics other than Saga can you name? I can't think of any. People want something different and Saga and The Walking Dead and Y the Last Man are something different put out by a major publisher with good art and advertising.

I agree.

At the same time I was re-reading Saga, I was reading DC's Earth 2, and the contrast between them was stark. Earth 2 was like jumping into the middle of a long Russian novel, where I'm expected to care about this huge cast of characters who I hadn't been introduced to, and then follow this quickly changing story all about stopping multi-dimensional Borg from conquering the universe. The art was bog standard, and everything felt like a re-hash of other things I'd seen before, put together clumsily.

Saga, on the other hand, was different and accessible. There weren't constantly call backs to old 60s comics, and it didn't expect me to care about the twist that Lois Lane is now the Red Tornado and that kind of thing. You could just pick Saga up and read it, from start to finish, and not feel like you missed anything. That accessibility is a major advantage, as is the clear labeling of what order to read it in.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Wtf is this poo poo. Talk about something else please

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

In Earth 2, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Catwoman seemingly gave their lives in order to repel the Apokoliptan invasion, leaving behind a world with no heroes.[16] Supergirl and Robin (Helena Wayne) end up stranded in the mainstream universe towards the end of the invasion.[17] When the Earth-2 Solomon Grundy threatens the world, three new heroes team up to defeat him: the Flash (Jay Garrick), Hawkgirl (Kendra Saunders), and Green Lantern (Alan Scott).[18] In later issues, Mister Terrific (Michael Holt) from the mainstream universe joins the team. Other heroes who have made appearances include Dr. Fate (Khalid Ben-Hassin), the Atom (Al Pratt, now nuclear-powered), the Sandman (Wesley Dodds), Mister Miracle, and Big Barda. In addition, the heroes of the Earth get supported by the World Army. Villains include Solomon Grundy, a now-villainous Terry Sloan, Wotan, Steppenwolf and what was thought to be a surviving, Darkseid-brainwashed Superman, which turned out to be a very powerful but genetically unstable Bizarro-type clone. Writer James Robinson left the series with issue #16 and Tom Taylor became the new writer at #17.[19] Other new characters introduced as the series progresses include a female Red Tornado (an android with the consciousness of Lois Lane which was uploaded that was uploaded into it by Sam Lane and Robotman), a hyper-intelligent knowledge-assimilator known as Accountable (Jimmy Olsen), a new Batman (Thomas Wayne using Miraclo), a new version of Aquawoman (Marella), and a new Superman (Val-Zod, a Kryptonian and a childhood friend of Power Girl's who had been imprisoned by Terry Sloan).

Towards the end of the series, Darkseid launches a second invasion of Earth, which is depicted in both Earth 2 and the weekly series Earth 2: World's End. Another weekly series, The New 52: Futures End, depicts a possible future in which refugees from a destroyed Earth 2 come to Earth 0 and prompt society to fracture. Over the course of the series, several new characters are introduced, such as Yolanda Montez, an Avatar of the Red who is a counterpart of Alan Scott; a second Red Arrow, an Earth 2 equivalent of Oliver Queen; Ted Grant, a former boxer; and Dick Grayson, a journalist who goes on a mission to find his son after his wife Barbara Gordon is killed during the invasion. Others change alignment; Wonder Woman and Steppenwolf's daughter Fury sides with Mister Miracle and the other heroes after Big Barda reveals her loyalty to Darkseid. Huntress and Power Girl return to Earth 2 as well to take part in a mad scramble to save the Earth and then later, to save its people along with a computerized record of human culture and life on Earth created by Bruce Wayne. In Earth 2: World's End #11, it is revealed that Highfather made a deal with Darkseid that he would not interfere with Darkseid's plans for conquest so long as Darkseid only preyed upon one Earth of the Multiverse, which was Earth 2, explaining the recurrent tragedies faced by this world in comparison to others. In the end, Darkseid is successful, and the Earth is destroyed, and attempts to take Earth 2's refugees to Earth 0 are prevented by a time traveling Tim Drake in Futures End. Just as the world ends, several of the Wonders are sent to the planet Telos by Brainiac, where they confront their counterparts from various parallel worlds, both present and extinct, in the Convergence miniseries. Over the course of the series, Batman dies and Dick Grayson, inspired by his Batman counterparts from other worlds, takes up the mantle from Thomas Wayne. Ultimately, the planet Telos is terraformed into a new Earth-like planet and sent to the Earth 2 dimension as a new home for its refugees.

The heroes' fraught attempts at forming a new society, rapidly augmented by Terry Sloan's technology, is depicted in the follow-on series Earth 2: Society (August 2015 – March 2017).[20] It also debuts versions of Hourman and Mist. The final arc of the series recreates Earth 2 again making it appear similar to their universe's first Earth through use of an Amazon artifact known as Pandora's Casket by Ultra-Humanite. This Earth has had no history of Wonders with Ultra-Humanite controlling the world behind the scenes. Following Ultra-Humanite's defeat, the Wonders becomes the world's new defenders and hopes that this Earth is the Earth they can protect.

At the end of Doomsday Clock #12 (2019), Doctor Manhattan reverses the actions that created the "New 52" universe, restoring Alan Scott and the Justice Society's original full histories as before Flashpoint, and the original Earth-Two is explained as existing in the multiverse too.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I don't spend much time entertaining theories about bombs in the buildings on 9/11. It's a detail people get really hung up on and at the end up the day it seems like a distraction away from the insidious poo poo we did to Afghanistan (and the rest of the globe) before and after 9/11.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Currently, I live in a reality where Bush and his cronies prosecuted an illegal war that killed hundreds of thousands of people. 9/11 conspiracy theorists are asking me to live in a reality where Bush and his cronies prosecuted an illegal war that killed hundreds of thousands of people...starting with about 3,000 Americans.

Unless you're a nationalist lunatic who thinks only American lives count, what difference does it make?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Currently, I live in a reality where Bush and his cronies prosecuted an illegal war that killed hundreds of thousands of people. 9/11 conspiracy theorists are asking me to live in a reality where Bush and his cronies prosecuted an illegal war that killed hundreds of thousands of people...starting with about 3,000 Americans.

Unless you're a nationalist lunatic who thinks only American lives count, what difference does it make?

it is important to break down the myth that 9/11 happened to america, when we did it to ourselves. but you don't have to mess with the unknowables, when we also created the geopolitical situation, funded the players, and gave them international networks to utilize. its meaningless (and unknowable) if they were *just* cia funded terrorists who turned against their masters instead of the fancier cia directed terrorists pretending to turn against their masters

besides there's the anthrax op that's a way more obvious if you're just fishing for proof that W and team weren't just opportunistic but actively involved

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Aug 6, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well if you think 9/11 was funny, then if bush did it, great bit

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
“6 thousand or 6 million, who cares, it’s still horrible!”

nobody is asking anyone to live in ‘a’ reality, it’s all the same world, but our perceptions of its limitations frequently differ from its actual operational limits, and how would one know anyway?

stuff like that thing rationalizing the collapse of building 7 exists to preserve and reinforce the sanity/cohesion of worldview for those who cannot accept the existence of any conspiracy, rather than to assuage or convince “conspiracy-minded” people that nah it’s actually fine and normal

to someone believing in the official story, the broader implications of such a conspiracy being true is the metaphorical jet fuel to the steel beams of ‘their’ constructed reality :twisted:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is there an article somewhere that compiles how many people the US has killed since the end of WW2? If you add up wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, plus the number killed via proxy wars and death squads what do you get, on average?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

bush still did 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The only good saga is a zombieland