Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Arcsquad12 posted:

For the longest time I thought the really gravelly peasant voice actor was Ralph Ineson, but it turns out that it's Steven Hartley, the same guy who did Eredin. Guy goes from King of the Wild Hunt to... Yontek.

I could've sworn that was Ralph Ineson too, it's uncanny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Continuing my nth playthrough of the Witcher 3 - wrapped up HoS before I ever went to the Isle of Mists. Still absolutely blown away by that whole story arc. The presentation and the writing and the staging are all just absolutely top notch. Finished it, went to the Isle of Mists and absolutely felt torn up near the end when Geralt is inside the house. That whole scene is just a huge gut punch (even knowing how it ends up). But the lighting and the staging and the "acting" for lack of a better term just nails it to the floor.

I just can't say enough nice things about the game. I love that the weather system almost never gives you the same kinds of days over time. So much variety in the environment. Even having seen nearly every inch of the game, I can't help but explore. I just checked my steam profile and I've taken another 200 screenshots this playthrough. I'm already feeling sad the main game is almost over, again.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I am about to do a new playthrough, what are the recommended QoL and graphical mods for W3?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Collateral posted:

I am about to do a new playthrough, what are the recommended QoL and graphical mods for W3?

I currently use:

HD reworked: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021
Over 9000 weigh mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3
No Falling damage: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/352
Auto Apply Oils: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/625
FriendlyHUD: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/365
Always Full Exp (this can lead you to being fairly overleveled but whatevs): https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/820
Fast Travel from anywhere (be careful with this and don't use it when the game normally locks fast travel) : https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324

I also like using Slots Slots Slots and Set Skill Points per level but note this is not balanced at all and will lead you to being way overpowered so feel free to jack up the difficulty if you do.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Levantine posted:

Continuing my nth playthrough of the Witcher 3 - wrapped up HoS before I ever went to the Isle of Mists. Still absolutely blown away by that whole story arc. The presentation and the writing and the staging are all just absolutely top notch. Finished it, went to the Isle of Mists and absolutely felt torn up near the end when Geralt is inside the house. That whole scene is just a huge gut punch (even knowing how it ends up). But the lighting and the staging and the "acting" for lack of a better term just nails it to the floor.

I just can't say enough nice things about the game. I love that the weather system almost never gives you the same kinds of days over time. So much variety in the environment. Even having seen nearly every inch of the game, I can't help but explore. I just checked my steam profile and I've taken another 200 screenshots this playthrough. I'm already feeling sad the main game is almost over, again.

I've always wondered, how does it feel doing HoS during the main quest? Does it flow well? Whenever I do my next play through I'm going for a Bad Dad, Bad Boyfriend run and I've always liked the idea of HoS for a Geralt who's just lost Ciri and is kind of alone in the world. But having it happen way earlier in the story before you find Ciri is interesting too.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Collateral posted:

Just FYI there's going to be a "next gen" update that also adds some Netflix inspired DLC. I'm definitely gonna wait for that before playing again.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ShakeZula posted:

I've always wondered, how does it feel doing HoS during the main quest? Does it flow well? Whenever I do my next play through I'm going for a Bad Dad, Bad Boyfriend run and I've always liked the idea of HoS for a Geralt who's just lost Ciri and is kind of alone in the world. But having it happen way earlier in the story before you find Ciri is interesting too.

I mean, it flows about as well as doing most of the side content before finding Ciri. Since I can't resist following every shiny diversion it just feels like a long sidequest, really. There are some dialog options that change (specifically at the auction house and at the end of the questline). Otherwise it's just Geralt running into old friends again.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I could see HoS fitting in fairly naturally before/ during the time when all the main players move to Skellige for the finale.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hearts of Stone seems like just another Witcher contract with a bit more elaborate of a setup, until you kill the monster and get shanghai'd and tattooed.

The occasional ominous singing children popping up is also a neat touch.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
There's actually a couple more lines here and there in HoS if you do it before the end of the main quest.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There's actually a couple more lines here and there in HoS if you do it before the end of the main quest.

Also, one of Gaunter's rewards will give you hints on how to deal with Ciri-related decisions for the best ending.

I'm not sure if that option is removed if you have already finished the main story though.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Playing the game again on PC, always surprised how well the game holds up.

Likely going to stop playing at the end of White Orchard, heres my wishlist for next-gen update.

60fps/4k target
Updated textures/graphics
Instant/Sped Up fast travel loads
Rebalance of non-Witcher sets
Built in mods (fast travel from anywhere, configurable weight limits/community patches)
Netflix actors likenesses (configurable) - unlikely though as box art has already released
Netflix actors voices
Netflix armour

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ColdIronsBound posted:

Likely going to stop playing at the end of White Orchard, heres my wishlist for next-gen update.

60fps/4k target
Updated textures/graphics
Instant/Sped Up fast travel loads
Rebalance of non-Witcher sets
Built in mods (fast travel from anywhere, configurable weight limits/community patches)
Netflix actors likenesses (configurable) - unlikely though as box art has already released
Netflix actors voices
Netflix armour

Uh, all this poo poo is going into the game (minus the mod poo poo, the rebalancing, and the voices) in the upcoming update.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do hope the Netflix dlc includes the scrote-sack armor.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Anybody's been playing Monster Slayer? My brother visited today and got killed by an archespore in our mom's bedroom, it looked pretty rad

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do hope the Netflix dlc includes the scrote-sack armor.

they got rid of it for season 2 lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they got rid of it for season 2 lol

The new Nilfgaard plate looks so much better, but I don't want the rhino ballsack armor to go to waste. Add in a mini quest where Geralt encounters some "nilfgaardians" who have a very strange idea of what they think armor should look like.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I'm about to do another play through of The Witcher 3 since I managed to get a 3080.

What is the best bloom mod to use now? I remember using something something created by some Russian guy back in 2017 but I can't seem to find it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Whitest Russian posted:

I'm about to do another play through of The Witcher 3 since I managed to get a 3080.

What is the best bloom mod to use now? I remember using something something created by some Russian guy back in 2017 but I can't seem to find it.

pik_d posted:

Just FYI there's going to be a "next gen" update that also adds some Netflix inspired DLC. I'm definitely gonna wait for that before playing again.

Part of the update is "a range of visual and technical improvements"

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Is there a date for when that drops? I just spent like 6 hours modding and making sure everything works. And I'm assuming the new patch will mess up a bunch of mods.
I guess I could just play RDR2 instead.

Also I'm pretty sure I was thinking of ENBloom by Boris or something along those lines and it looks like his website is down.

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 28, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ColdIronsBound posted:

loving lmao

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Whitest Russian posted:

Is there a date for when that drops? I just spent like 6 hours modding and making sure everything works. And I'm assuming the new patch will mess up a bunch of mods.
I guess I could just play RDR2 instead.

Also I'm pretty sure I was thinking of ENBloom by Boris or something along those lines and it looks like his website is down.

All we've been told is "this year" so no not exactly. If you play it now then are OK playing again around the winter then honestly go for it. If you're holding out for "One last playthrough" I'd wait for sure.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
What is the preferred mod manager? The Nexus brand or The Witcher 3 Mod Manager?

Regardless of whether I use one or manually move the mods into my mods folder, some don't work, like this one mod which is supposed to cause all witcher gear to scale with my level. However, the only armor and weapon set this works with is the venomous viper stuff from HoS. All other witcher gear stays at the level which was required to wear it.

Also, when I launch the game with the witcher 3 mod manager, I can't use the console, but when I launch it using steam I can.

Hmmm... Strange...

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 29, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

pik_d posted:

All we've been told is "this year" so no not exactly. If you play it now then are OK playing again around the winter then honestly go for it. If you're holding out for "One last playthrough" I'd wait for sure.

It could be along with the announcement of the new* Witcher game.

*If the update to the engine/textures is good they just need to concentrate on content right?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Collateral posted:

It could be along with the announcement of the new* Witcher game.

*If the update to the engine/textures is good they just need to concentrate on content right?

I've been wondering about this kind of stuff recently- I wonder why more content/story driven games don't follow the Ubisoft model and just make a game and then re-flavor it multiple times over the better part of the next decade. Would there really be big problems if they just took the Witcher 3 and put some new makeup on it over again with a different story?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hamhandler posted:

I've been wondering about this kind of stuff recently- I wonder why more content/story driven games don't follow the Ubisoft model and just make a game and then re-flavor it multiple times over the better part of the next decade. Would there really be big problems if they just took the Witcher 3 and put some new makeup on it over again with a different story?
I would gobble it up.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I finished the main game years ago, not long after release, but never played the DLC. Lost all my saves though. Can I play the DLC without doing anything with the main story or will I be underlevelled?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Woodenlung posted:

Can I play the DLC without doing anything

Yes, right from the main menu. The game gives you appropriate gear and levels to start the dlc.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Alright cool, I knew I 'could' play it, was just wondering if it scaled up fine. Thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hamhandler posted:

The amount of writing and quality of a game like the Witcher 3 would be impossible to produce with a turnaround like that. Then it’d just be the same watered down bullshit were already getting.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah that kind of craftsmanship is what sets Witcher 3 apart. Would I play an AC-type cycle of Witcher games? Yes, and I'd probably really enjoy them. Would I be eagerly awaiting the opportunity to do a fourth playthrough of any of them 6 years after release? Likely not.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Ubisoft is a giant fleet. They can crank out a ton of product as long as it can be compartmentalized or procgenned - environment, architecture, character appearance, etc. It's much harder to do that with narrative, which generally needs to be redone at various points and also needs to be integrated with every other part of the game to be successful.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
A Witcher made in the style of AssCreed wouldn't be a bad game; you'd have all the contracts, the Gwent, the treasures, the random encounters, the locations. But there wouldn't be the same heart. Playing as Assassin # 52353, killing Templars #63454354-63454897 just doesn't have the same feeling to it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ghost of tsushima is a lot like the witcher 3, but its not a sequel to a series of excellent books so its not as good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Woodenlung posted:

Alright cool, I knew I 'could' play it, was just wondering if it scaled up fine. Thanks!

Yeah, the "start on the DLC" option is pretty awesome for replays. It closes out the main quest line but leaves pretty much every side quest, scales you to a reasonable level, and gives you a modest starting stash of items and recipes. You're not completely decked out but you don't have to go scrounging for basic stuff, it's very well balanced.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Levantine posted:

I currently use:

HD reworked: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021
Over 9000 weigh mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/3
No Falling damage: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/352
Auto Apply Oils: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/625
FriendlyHUD: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/365
Always Full Exp (this can lead you to being fairly overleveled but whatevs): https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/820
Fast Travel from anywhere (be careful with this and don't use it when the game normally locks fast travel) : https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/324

I also like using Slots Slots Slots and Set Skill Points per level but note this is not balanced at all and will lead you to being way overpowered so feel free to jack up the difficulty if you do.

The Increased Creature loot mod does a lot to reduce how much you need to grind for the rare monster parts. You can set it to one of 5 settings, with the basic version all the way to "loot drop chance =100%" for monster parts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

The amount of writing and quality of a game like the Witcher 3 would be impossible to produce with a turnaround like that. Then it’d just be the same watered down bullshit were already getting.

I think a reasonable compromise would be farming out a third party mod/ expansion pack thing, like how Valve did Opposing Force.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pentyne posted:

The Increased Creature loot mod does a lot to reduce how much you need to grind for the rare monster parts. You can set it to one of 5 settings, with the basic version all the way to "loot drop chance =100%" for monster parts.

for a replay that sounds fantastic

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tunicate posted:

I think a reasonable compromise would be farming out a third party mod/ expansion pack thing, like how Valve did Opposing Force.

I don’t know about that either. I don’t trust any other developer, save maybe Obsidian, to do the writing and such justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread, I’m pretty new to this series and it’s pretty good even if it is pretty much literally the epitome of “too much of a good thing”. So umm, something I’m confused on. I’ve been killing loads of bandits and selling their crappy hatchets and other assorted weaponry because that seems to be the best way to make money in this game.

But it sorta seems like it wasn’t intended cause it’s making my preferred vendors chug in the interface and even my stash inventory chugs like a mother from all the stuff I stashed before I could reach a decent blacksmith to sell it to. Is the chugging just the consequence of playing on the PS4 or was I supposed to leave all that stuff on the ground?