Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Serperoth posted:

This is very good advice. If something isn't going in, or isn't coming out, take a step back and take a look at it.
My RAM wasn't seated well at first but a second click did it no problem (my mothboard diagnosed it itself)

My one exception was taking out my GPU (cause I forgot to plug in the SATA cable), reaching to the little locking clip was difficult and it seemed to need some special push. Did it with a chopstick eventually

You're absolutely right as far as consumer boards, Serperoth. In commercial settings, you will run into parts that require significant force to install or remove - some ibm sockets take hundreds of pounds of insertion force.

Also I've had a few times where, even though I installed everything correctly, it still was running a bit hot or whatever; I took a few minutes and took off and reseated the heatsink on the proc, and it dropped the temps several degrees. Sometimes you just don't have things quite entirely flat or w/ good thermal compound coverage everywhere, and after double checking / reseating everything it'll run better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Are there any popular recommendations for a decent interim video card to use in lieu of a 3080? All the other parts that I've been looking for seem to be available, and I'd rather get something built now and swap in the 3080 in a couple years when prices get a little more reasonable.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Seyser Koze posted:

Are there any popular recommendations for a decent interim video card to use in lieu of a 3080? All the other parts that I've been looking for seem to be available, and I'd rather get something built now and swap in the 3080 in a couple years when prices get a little more reasonable.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your plan to get a placeholder card at a reasonable enough price to make that worth it isn't going to happen. Face the pain and join the struggle to get a new GPU. Good news is prices and availability are going in the right direction and plenty of people itt have reported they've had luck after a few visits to MicroCenter.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Guess that answers that, sorry.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Now the Ryzen 5600G is available for custom builds the better option might just be to use the iGPU from that as a stopgap. It’s not great but it’s going to be cheaper than finding an old GPU.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
legit, if you've not bought other parts go for a prebuild. it's still the only vaguely "affordable" way people can buy GPUs. tons of people are stuck trying to upgrade an existing machine or with parts, if you shop around the prebuild space you can get sane adjacent prices (although it will depend on your region). thus far in 2021 at least the best piece of advice in the pc building megathread remains "for the love of god don't".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Broken Machine posted:

You're absolutely right as far as consumer boards, Serperoth. In commercial settings, you will run into parts that require significant force to install or remove - some ibm sockets take hundreds of pounds of insertion force.

Also I've had a few times where, even though I installed everything correctly, it still was running a bit hot or whatever; I took a few minutes and took off and reseated the heatsink on the proc, and it dropped the temps several degrees. Sometimes you just don't have things quite entirely flat or w/ good thermal compound coverage everywhere, and after double checking / reseating everything it'll run better.

Oh fair point, I hadn't considered that. These professional tier parts though would come with their own spec sheets and the like right? So you'd know "Yeah you need to use the bench press for this" rather than just pushing harder at random.

Had a power failure today and boy am I glad the computer was off. Seemed a bit off when I turned it back on after, but a restart later and it seems to be in good spirits.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

legit, if you've not bought other parts go for a prebuild. it's still the only vaguely "affordable" way people can buy GPUs. tons of people are stuck trying to upgrade an existing machine or with parts, if you shop around the prebuild space you can get sane adjacent prices (although it will depend on your region). thus far in 2021 at least the best piece of advice in the pc building megathread remains "for the love of god don't".

All right if even poo poo GPUs are not reasonable to shop for what about something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw&t=1593s

It looks like this would let me game fairly comfortably at 1080 for at least a year or so, then when things are back to normal (heh) I can still put together a beefier 1440 PC and just have a pretty good prebuilt as a spare in the corner or something. This is the only prebuilt on Gamers Nexus that didn't get completely poo poo on, is there anything that could be recommended above it?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah legit, going via gamers nexus is a great way to find a good prebuild, they do much more intensive testing, particularly of thermals. any prebuild you post in here we will be more than happy to comment on the spec or identify any red flags but if you're just looking for a good purchase you could do waaaaaaay worse than that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > PC Building Megathread: Still No GPUs: Unironically Recommending Prebuilts

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I suggested "PC Building Megathread: For The Love Of God, Don't" but abandon all hope won out, lol.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I had a €520 FE 3070 sitting in the basket I could have ordered yesterday as part of my plan to start hobby building PCs and selling them locally (shitloads of young guys with high disposable incomes) but didn't pull the trigger because I'm going away for a month and couldn't do anything with it right away. That's the main downside to learning how to build PCs - it's really fun, yet there's only so much tinkering you can do to your own set up!

I managed to end up with two motherboards from my build as I thought the weird boot problems I was having were down to the board, so I tried to replace it but the problems recurred. After some BIOS updates they totally went away though. So I now have an extra board that I've tried to sell, without interest, so I figured I'd just build a PC around it and sell that instead. Also gives me a chance to gently caress around with some RGB fans because a bit of RGB seems to go a long way in selling fancy PCs here.

With that in mind is it possible to stealth install drivers and poo poo on a new PC but still make it so that the user gets the clean new Windows account boot experience when they turn it on? Or maybe I'd be better giving them a USB stick with a bunch of drivers on there, or offering like an hour of my time in with the sale price to help them set everything up.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Aug 7, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Good news everyone, I remounted the cooler and am now happily idling at 30-35 Celsius, and fans running at a much more sensible profile. Photos to follow when imgur stops being a butt.

Fuma goes in a dream when you do it properly. Stressful to redo tho.

Gonna leave it running for a bit to see what happens

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 7, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Don’t upgrade your case to future proof.

Upgrade your case when you need the space.

Good point, but in my case I think I actually do need the space. I remember amusedly watching my father actually literally jump when he saw my stepbrother's PC case but I'm starting to see the reason why it was so drat big.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Looked at the prices on IBuyPower and at this point I think I'm just going to wait until I win the NewEgg lottery (any day now) and build around that. That or I just can't do math.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Good news everyone, I remounted the cooler and am now happily idling at 30-35 Celsius, and fans running at a much more sensible profile. Photos to follow when imgur stops being a butt.

Fuma goes in a dream when you do it properly. Stressful to redo tho.

Gonna leave it running for a bit to see what happens

Much better. Glad you listened, it’s clear it was hosed up.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Good point, but in my case I think I actually do need the space. I remember amusedly watching my father actually literally jump when he saw my stepbrother's PC case but I'm starting to see the reason why it was so drat big.

Still not sure what your reason is, and it sounds like you’re not sure either, so my advice still stands.

Larger case /= more airflow in most situations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Seyser Koze posted:

Looked at the prices on IBuyPower and at this point I think I'm just going to wait until I win the NewEgg lottery (any day now) and build around that. That or I just can't do math.

those are kind of higher end, shop around for a promo- if you're in the UK region i could make some recommendations. newegg shuffle is possible, there are discords that do stock alerts and there seem to have been a lot of hits recently in the GPU thread anyway, you'll probably get better answers there.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I will take UK recommendations for tracking down cards please.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
scan.co.uk has been having the best availability and is the only FE partner. overclockers and ccl have been intermittently opening preorders. join a stock discord or telegram and good hunting. do you want prebuilds?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
No to prebuilds thanks. Can you recommend any stock discords?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

tarbrush posted:

ask in the GPU thread, i've been out of the space for months now

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Will do, thanks!

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Xenolalia posted:

Maybe a stupid answer, yeah i have an ancient loving radeon like 4570 or something... I had thought that it might just be dead due it it laying around for a decade but i figured the gpu debug light would be the one that lit up and not the cpu light

I suppose my next move is to try a new gpu?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

tarbrush posted:

https://discord.gg/CRKWKhtm

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Also bear in mind that the Scan FE cards are the only ones which are reserved when you have them in the basket - anything else, you'd better have your delivery & payment details saved or someone else will snatch it out from under you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

All right if even poo poo GPUs are not reasonable to shop for what about something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2vrvQydVIw&t=1593s

It looks like this would let me game fairly comfortably at 1080 for at least a year or so, then when things are back to normal (heh) I can still put together a beefier 1440 PC and just have a pretty good prebuilt as a spare in the corner or something. This is the only prebuilt on Gamers Nexus that didn't get completely poo poo on, is there anything that could be recommended above it?

If you haven't bought anything yet, my goal here would be to not find the cheapest 1080p machine out there and then shove it into a corner in a year, but to find a prebuilt that you can upgrade into a solid 1440p machine down the road instead. This both saves money and cuts down on e-waste. I tried searching for the cheapest prebuilts with the 5600X, but a lot of those were weirdly built with underpowered PSUs, single sticks of RAM, shady brands that don't ship with a valid windows key ("IPASON")—all the usual prebuilt BS. But I did find this 11400F/2060 machine, currently $1099 for the next few days: https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali524/p/N82E16883360129?quicklink=true

I would feel comfortable upgrading that with a more powerful card next year and leaving most everything else the same. The 11400F is a perfectly solid gaming CPU. It lags behind the 5600X by a decent margin in CPU-bottlenecked scenarios (high framerate competitive games for instance), but in GPU-bottlenecked scenarios (such as 1440p graphically intense games) it won't hold you back by more than a few percent. It's the CPU I'd recommend to most regular PC gamers if it were more readily available to DIY builders. The one thing that might need upgrading alongside a new GPU is the PSU, though 600W should be able to handle up to a 3070 okay (I've seen people run 3070s on machines with a 550W psu). And the GPU it ships with is perfectly capable of 1080p gaming. Seems like an okay budget gaming machine (by prebuilt standards) with moderate upgrade potential.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 8, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a 2060 is a little better than a 1660 super too, right?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

a 2060 is a little better than a 1660 super too, right?

Not by much, and almost certainly not by the price they’d charge.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 2060 is around 10% better than the 1660 Super in most 1080p/Ultra benchmarks I've seen. The cheapest machine with some kind of 1660 I can find on Newegg that isn't refurbished is $1000 one, but it comes with a worse CPU and a worse PSU that limits upgrade options. There are also cheaper 1650 options too if you want, but ideally you find something that is relatively cheap now but has plenty of reusable parts so you can save a lot of money down the road when you want to upgrade. So for this goon's particular wants and needs, I'd say the 2060 PC is the better long-term value.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 8, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
dlss might make a non-trivial advantage in some titles, particularly if you go prebuilt -> 1440p monitor -> new gpu. you're going to be severely gpu bound and i suspect you'll need every ounce of oomph you could get. still going to have to be pretty brutal on the settings in many titles though.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Quick and dumb question: assuming all else is equal (bronze, gold platinum, etc), if my current server box is using a 450 watt psu but I have a 650 lying around, would switching from one to the other result in using less power, or is the floor raised when moving up? It definitely doesn't need more power, but if I save a couple bucks a month running even further from the limit for free, it's a cost I'm cool with.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

George RR Fartin posted:

Quick and dumb question: assuming all else is equal (bronze, gold platinum, etc), if my current server box is using a 450 watt psu but I have a 650 lying around, would switching from one to the other result in using less power, or is the floor raised when moving up? It definitely doesn't need more power, but if I save a couple bucks a month running even further from the limit for free, it's a cost I'm cool with.

They're most efficient at around 50% draw but we don't know how many watts your current server box actually uses, so there's no way to answer that with the information provided. The difference will be pretty minor so it's probably not worth changing out the PSU if it's the same 80+ efficiency rating.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Makes sense. I'll see what kill-o-watt costs, and if it's not too bad I can make use of it elsewhere too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

George RR Fartin posted:

Makes sense. I'll see what kill-o-watt costs, and if it's not too bad I can make use of it elsewhere too.

I wouldn’t except you to save more than $1 a month with this.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

George RR Fartin posted:

On gold/silver/bronze tier PSUs its a 3% efficiency difference between 20%/100% (they don't test below 20% until you get to titanium) and an optimal 50% load. Also this:

Rexxed posted:

They're most efficient at around 50% draw but we don't know how many watts your current server box actually uses, so there's no way to answer that with the information provided. The difference will be pretty minor so it's probably not worth changing out the PSU if it's the same 80+ efficiency rating.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
"PSUs are most efficient at 50% load" is a thing that, while technically still true, has basically stopped mattering since 80 Plus certification became widespread. The efficiency curves used to be a lot worse than they are now. It has of course continued as common wisdom because advice like this never goes away no matter what.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The ratings for Titanium PSUs are typically in the realm of 90% to 92% at max load and 94% to 95% at half load. Bronze PSUs similarly have around a 2 to 4 percent difference. You're probably looking at a waste reduction of 10W or less here. If you really want, you can look up your power supplies here so you can calculate how much you'd save by switching: https://www.clearesult.com/80plus/manufacturers/115V-Internal

You would almost certainly save some amount of energy by swapping them, but it'd be rather negligible.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 2060 is around 10% better than the 1660 Super in most 1080p/Ultra benchmarks I've seen. The cheapest machine with some kind of 1660 I can find on Newegg that isn't refurbished is $1000 one, but it comes with a worse CPU and a worse PSU that limits upgrade options. There are also cheaper 1650 options too if you want, but ideally you find something that is relatively cheap now but has plenty of reusable parts so you can save a lot of money down the road when you want to upgrade. So for this goon's particular wants and needs, I'd say the 2060 PC is the better long-term value.

Thanks for the follow-up, shopping for a prebuilt that I could then update later on didn't occur to me, that's probably the best of both worlds for what I want right now.

I still want to give my Linux gaming OS idea a try, and since all these prebuilts come with Win10, I assume if that doesn't work out there's nothing stopping me from being able to nuke and reinstall Win10 from a fresh Microsoft ISO and then activate it with the code that came with the PC, right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Thanks for the follow-up, shopping for a prebuilt that I could then update later on didn't occur to me, that's probably the best of both worlds for what I want right now.

I still want to give my Linux gaming OS idea a try, and since all these prebuilts come with Win10, I assume if that doesn't work out there's nothing stopping me from being able to nuke and reinstall Win10 from a fresh Microsoft ISO and then activate it with the code that came with the PC, right?

I think? It'll be an OEM key, with the key tied to the hardware. I don't do OEMs, but I believe the way it works is that it should register the computer on your microsoft account after your first sign-in on that PC, and then you can just log into your account again when reinstalling windows and it'll be fine. They will probably give you a windows key you can reinstall with too if you don't go the online MS account route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Gamers Nexus has a new particularly thorough PSA about Gigabyte and newegg irresponsibly offloading dangerous exploding power supplies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI