Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Theris posted:

Cool, but I've leveled 45 or so times getting better gear all the while and it's gone up maybe a couple points. GP seems to have gone up more but also not much. Am I missing something or is there a huge boost that happens somewhere between 45 and 60?

If you're not adverse to the idea you can buy or have the HQ turnins made for you by other players.

Gear is a big part of it, but the main turning point for HQ crafting is when you hit level 50 and learn Byregot's Blessing. Prior to that skill you just do the best you can with materials and procs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

For what its worth I'm enjoying ARR stuff a lot mostly because its a new world to explore, and I've also been doing most of the side content and sidequests which I think are doing a great job at filling in the world and its gaps. It also helps that now I seem to be at the place in ARR where the story really picks up post level ~35 MSQ and I unlocked my proper BLM nukes. I can also see in ARR where and why things seem scattershot at times since they built the whole expansion (experience?) on the bones of what was in 1.0 so I have some more tolerance when it bounces me around the world a lot. But I've always been one of those guys in WoW that likes to quest and see the zones instead of racing to level cap so the game is a better fit with me than a lot of other folks. The idea of old raids still being runnable at some kind of remote difficulty is nice as well since I loved doing that in the old days, even (especially?) if its just for fashion.

The one complaint about the world though is that it definitely feels a lot more disjointed than WoW, probably because you can just warp everywhere from the start as opposed to WoW which forces you to use flight paths or your own mounts / feet unless you are a mage or at whatever the max level city is of the expac.

That said, I've been playing through the MSQ solo and just grouping up for dungeons and I can't imagine the MSQ content being very fun to play with friends, or easy to keep at a similar level to do the quests together. WoW also has level scaling issues but nearly all the quests are combat focused and there are very few cutscenes so the gameplay is a lot smoother while party leveling. I think that is a notable weakness of the game that I can see people getting turned off on. Basically there is a single player focus on the experience even though its an MMO and its very hard to do stuff in parties unless its a dungeon or trial (which, mind you, is implemented very well with level / ilvl sync).

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 6, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Theris posted:

Cool, but I've leveled 45 or so times getting better gear all the while and it's gone up maybe a couple points. GP seems to have gone up more but also not much. Am I missing something or is there a huge boost that happens somewhere between 45 and 60?

Just make sure you're using HQ ingredients when crafting, that'll usually get your meter up pretty high. But yeah there's a huge difficulty spike in the crafting requests around level 40 or so and I think the available gear falls behind a little bit. You could also try slotting some materia to get your stats a little higher if you think you'll benefit from some marginal gains.

Edit: on the questing/progression conversation, I just picked this game up a couple months ago and haven't finished the MSQ, so I'm hardly some veteran who has forgotten what the early game is like. While I'm on record as thinking ARR is pretty slow, I wouldn't make any drastic changes beyond maybe pruning a few more quests. I'm generally enjoying the way things are structured and the pace things are introduced at. But I also clear the entire map of side content at every opportunity so it's pretty clear this game is made for someone like me and not for someone who just wants to grind the latest savage-tier content or whatever. And I don't see why that's a problem? The game doesn't need to be for everybody.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 6, 2021

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Theris posted:

I've got (most) crafting and gathering classes up to level 45 ish. Decided to google for some tips to see if I'm Doing It Wrong because holy poo poo do the guild quests go from genuinely fun to a grindy loving chore once the guildmasters start demanding HQ items at a level where I can barely get to a ~50% chance of HQ intermediate mats and ~15% on finished products on the crafting side, and have a base 10% chance of getting an HQ item on the gathering side.

All I really found was a reddit thread about "crafting rotations" at level 60. Most of the posts in it start with a variation of "with x craftsmanship and Y control and 345CP, I..."

My CP is maybe a couple points higher than at level 1. (~180.) Over 300 would take crafting HQ goods at level from nearly impossible to piece of cake! So I google how to get that up and the answer seems to be "levels and gear."

Are you doing your class quests? Those will get you increasingly better gear.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Theris posted:

There is a big boost in gear quality at 50 and 60, as they used to be max level so you go through a bunch of item levels worth of upgrades.

CP in particular mainly comes from a few rightside slots and materia. You can get a 100% HQ rate from normal quality ingredients while leveling, but you more or less need to maintain a mostly up-to-date set of HQ gear with up-to-date (CP) materia slotted to do so. This is generally more effort than most people want to put in. Low level crafter materia remains valuable at max level, materia free to slot and unslot for crafters and having materia in your gear increases your materia production so it's not a bad investment, but fiddly like most things materia.

Most people level crafters through levequests and, in HW, custom deliveries, The Firmament and collectibles. They solve the <60 crafter quest turn-ins (and often the leveling levequests) by just buying the turn-in requirements from the market board since you don't have to make them yourself. Later on crafting quests will involve quest-specific recipes, because this was dumb.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I think at some point some WoW refuges are going to need to accept that this isn't just WoW in a different setting, it isn't trying to be WoW in a different setting, and the developers have made some deliberate design decisions that are incompatible with the way they like to play MMOs and are unlikely to change that at this point.

The whole core of my guild came over in the last month or so and we loving love it. But, in WoW we generally only grouped for...group content, so the fact that FF14 doesn't let you group for "single player" content doesn't really bother us at all.

Many of us are also weirdos who actually cared about the lore and story in WoW, so the story focus in FF14 is great. I guess we're basically the exact sort of WoW players who would like FF14, but I totally understand how WoW players who play differently from us might not like it.

Edit:

Xerophyte posted:

CP in particular mainly comes from a few rightside slots and materia.

Ohhhhhhhhh. My rightside slots are basically the starter gear and a couple dungeon drops because I haven't been leveling GSM and you don't get them from quest rewards. I guess I'll have to fix that.

Also yeah I've noticed levequests (and GC supply missions) are easy mode for leveling crafters. It's just the guild quests that are a pain rn.

Deathlove posted:

Are you doing your class quests? Those will get you increasingly better gear.

Yes, that's where my problem is, in fact. Levequests are easy. It's the class quests that at level 45 demand three different HQ items that I can get to a 15%-20% likelyhood of being HQ at most that are a pain.

Theris fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 6, 2021

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Theris posted:

Many of us are also weirdos who actually cared about the lore and story in WoW, so the story focus in FF14 is great. I guess we're basically the exact sort of WoW players who would like FF14, but I totally understand how WoW players who play differently from us might not like it.

Yeah I come from that angle, I was a huge warcraft nerd before WoW even came out and one of my favorite WoW memories was running my trial account lvl 15 troll all the way down to the blasted lands so I could see the dark portal for myself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My stance, personally, is that I want FF14 to be its own separate thing, and to be the best version of that thing it can be. No game can be every thing for every one, and I think there being a variety of healthy, different MMOs that do different things can only be a good thing for the industry. I think there are things FF14 can improve on, particularly when it comes to the early game experience, but I also very much don't want to see the game start chasing trends trying to be part WoW, part ESO, or whatever. I want FF14 to be FF14.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

posting this here because i think this weeks fashion report is maybe the easiest one ever

https://twitter.com/KaiyokoStar/status/1423598664300122114

the easy 80 points is just two pieces of newbie gear and will get you the full MGP reward
do note you still need to have something equipped in all the other slots though

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That is absolutely the easiest 80 pointer I can recall. The 100 pointer is also very inexpensive and easy if you have completed 2.0 since you can use literally any of the i130 poetics chests. Good week to get the title.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

I was browsing this thread because I’ve played on and off with the idea of giving FFXIV another shot.

But the things that put me off about it were pretty much in line with what a couple folks have already complained about here. Grouping with someone not actively at your level is way more obnoxious and unfriendly than it needs to be, there’s faaaaaaar too much bloat generally, and I additionally have some issues that effect only me surrounding visual accessibility of the interface that really put me off, though some of those could be eliminated by allowing people to group through all content, not just dungeons/raids/whathaveyou.

I’m not knocking folks for liking what they like, but newcomers do arrive with a fresh perspective, and I hear on repeat the same aphorisms about the game, “It gets better,” “The story is the point,” “You can do dungeons together so why would you want to group elsewhere?” etc. etc.

I’m not trying to pick a fight, but as WoW declines—rightfully so—maybe SE and long term players alike would do well to consider a wider range of viewpoints. I think most people that repeat these aphorisms aren’t doing so to be jerks, but they do have the benefit of long-term play and have been able to build up a tolerance to some of the rough spots because they find the experience of the game overall great. But it feels kinda alienating when someone brings up a notable weak point of the design and vets collectively shrug those complaints off.

One thing I think the otherwise lovely ESO did wonderfully was to implement universal scaling. When you pick that game up, you can play with anyone, anywhere, for any reason, in any sort of content. That design decision came with some drawbacks—notably trivializing the challenge of overworld content—but for a game like FFXIV, whose main draw is the story anyway, I could see the value in both opeing up more main quest content to groups and to scale/allow higher level players to join lower level players on the road to the end. I’d be more forgiving of the slow and draggy bits if I could experience all of them with a friend.

On a personal note, I’m loving irritated that the dialog text boxes are sepia with no means to change them. The low contrast makes it brutally hard for me to visually read, ditto for the map. Honestly, for as flexible as the interface is to customize, not being able to fix those two things has made the game nearly impossible for me to play solo. Doesn’t matter if the interface can be moved and enlarged if the two biggest things necessary to completing and enjoying the game—knowing where you need to go and reading the dialog—are problematic for someone with limited vision. All they’d need to do is include color customization for those two interface elements and I’d probably put up with more bullshit in a design sense. Though as a disabled person, I’m kinda used to being brushed off. SE has been pretty solid in that department, I’ve noticed, so having one big issue like that really galls.

Have you tried the classic FF layout with blue textboxes and white text? Might be better for high contrast.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
While it probably won't get fixed in the next couple months, it still might be worth taking your concerns about the readability of certain things to the actual FFXIV forums. They've added and redone a number of things to accommodate for disabilities and other such issues. Like they just redid the sage icon, for example.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

On a personal note, I’m loving irritated that the dialog text boxes are sepia with no means to change them. The low contrast makes it brutally hard for me to visually read, ditto for the map. Honestly, for as flexible as the interface is to customize, not being able to fix those two things has made the game nearly impossible for me to play solo. Doesn’t matter if the interface can be moved and enlarged if the two biggest things necessary to completing and enjoying the game—knowing where you need to go and reading the dialog—are problematic for someone with limited vision. All they’d need to do is include color customization for those two interface elements and I’d probably put up with more bullshit in a design sense. Though as a disabled person, I’m kinda used to being brushed off. SE has been pretty solid in that department, I’ve noticed, so having one big issue like that really galls.
You can dump text into a chat log by clicking though and then changing the color of text within that chat tab, no idea about maps though unless there's a mod out for that?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

BurningBeard posted:

Doesn’t matter if the interface can be moved and enlarged if the two biggest things necessary to completing and enjoying the game—knowing where you need to go and reading the dialog—are problematic for someone with limited vision.

That sucks. One thing that might help is that you can at least scale up the textboxes by right clicking them, similarly to other ui elements.

One of the mods for the FF14QuickLauncher is called TextBoxStyler and "allows replacing every text box with the background of your choice" which might also help. I've never tried it but it looks like what they mean is that you can replace the sepia "talk" background by for instance the blue "linkshell" textbox background and similar. Like all launcher plugins it is technically against the terms of service, and like all launcher plugins you're not going to get in trouble unless you talk about it in-game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe the start of ARR is boring but it feels good when you come back to those small towns for a different quest and the NPCs are like "oh its my old pal who killed ten wolves, I'll help you for sure"

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I actually don't mind bear asses quests which is why I wish they'd buff the side quest XP a bit.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
My beef with the experience of coming to this game is class access/skills. I felt grouchy and impatient waiting as I leveled a class I didn't care about* until I was permitted to go Rogue, and then leveling Rogue for a long time while I waited to be permitted Ninja, and then a chunk of time til I got all three mudra. At level 52 and carving through the jungle of pre HW bullshit I feel blessed by comparison because my party mate STILL can't be a dark knight - the class he signed on to this game to play out of a love of his favorite old FF game - while I feel essentially feature-complete cuz I got my mudra to play with and the rest of it feels like gravy. However, I'm getting a very real dose of that dissatisfaction because I'm alt leveling Paladin**. I read goons talking about pulling lots of packs and popping bubble and then going AoE wild, and I read Paladin has this baller burst damage phase where they just magazine dump their MP doing AoE magic. Boy, that is right up my gameplay style alley! Oh, wait, I can't bubble til 50? Well, that's tolerable...wait, I can't enter burst magic mode til 68, and I can't use AoE magic til 72?

So I can't be a Paladin the way the class is meant to work, the way I want the class to work, for how long??? And the powers I'm here for are gonna shut off if I do any of these synced dungeons on roulette lower than 72?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the sacrosanct story. The game could give me everything no later than level 50 and leave remaining levels to just make number go up and I'd enjoy the story all the same. There is no reason for my paladin to learn AoE combo part 2 at 40 and wait five more levels to get another skill - I don't need five levels of time to understand "press button after pressing button," because besides that being an absurdly easy concept it's also one I was taught at level 4 or whatever when I got the second step of the single target melee chain. That's ten levels between an actually interesting skill at 35 and the next actually interesting skill at 45.

My party mate agrees that we essentially would not care even a little bit about how many quests separate expansions or anything if we could just play the gameplay we want to play. The HW slog is a slog because we're looking longingly at classes and mechanical content behind plate glass, and we're being told "but story."

*(could have made progress on Gladiator at the time, didn't realize I'd want it, point is I was stuck playing anything but my class of choice)

**And I'm curious about astrologian

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

My beef with the experience of coming to this game is class access/skills. I felt grouchy and impatient waiting as I leveled a class I didn't care about* until I was permitted to go Rogue, and then leveling Rogue for a long time while I waited to be permitted Ninja, and then a chunk of time til I got all three mudra. At level 52 and carving through the jungle of pre HW bullshit I feel blessed by comparison because my party mate STILL can't be a dark knight - the class he signed on to this game to play out of a love of his favorite old FF game - while I feel essentially feature-complete cuz I got my mudra to play with and the rest of it feels like gravy. However, I'm getting a very real dose of that dissatisfaction because I'm alt leveling Paladin**. I read goons talking about pulling lots of packs and popping bubble and then going AoE wild, and I read Paladin has this baller burst damage phase where they just magazine dump their MP doing AoE magic. Boy, that is right up my gameplay style alley! Oh, wait, I can't bubble til 50? Well, that's tolerable...wait, I can't enter burst magic mode til 68, and I can't use AoE magic til 72?

So I can't be a Paladin the way the class is meant to work, the way I want the class to work, for how long??? And the powers I'm here for are gonna shut off if I do any of these synced dungeons on roulette lower than 72?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the sacrosanct story. The game could give me everything no later than level 50 and leave remaining levels to just make number go up and I'd enjoy the story all the same. There is no reason for my paladin to learn AoE combo part 2 at 40 and wait five more levels to get another skill - I don't need five levels of time to understand "press button after pressing button," because besides that being an absurdly easy concept it's also one I was taught at level 4 or whatever when I got the second step of the single target melee chain. That's ten levels between an actually interesting skill at 35 and the next actually interesting skill at 45.

My party mate agrees that we essentially would not care even a little bit about how many quests separate expansions or anything if we could just play the gameplay we want to play. The HW slog is a slog because we're looking longingly at classes and mechanical content behind plate glass, and we're being told "but story."

*(could have made progress on Gladiator at the time, didn't realize I'd want it, point is I was stuck playing anything but my class of choice)

**And I'm curious about astrologian

I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with that. Almost every class could use having the order you gain abilities reworked a little bit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
that's actually a great point and I'm not at all sure why they're so adamant about that style when they could just add more interesting stuff to 1-50. For the record, what you're running into is something established in HW onward, where the 1-50 experience is free game to have skills rearranged and taken out from, but after that point, every class mechanic and ability that was introduced in an expansion, has to stay in that expansion, at the level where you originally got it.

This makes a little more sense starting from Stormblood on, in my opinion, because Stormblood is where Ultimate difficulty started, and they have to at minimum keep everyone's toolkits roughly equivalent to where it actually was at level 70 if they want that content to continue to make sense, since Ultimate is supposed to both be the hardest content possible and it has to always be pegged to the item level that was current for its patch. The Heavensward dark knight problem, however, is a lore issue, but one they have trouble fixing, since it stems from the decision to tie the job story of dark knight itself into where the plot is at the point it becomes accessible, and to a place that you can't access earlier on, for separate lore reasons. There's no real lore reason why you can't have things like blood of the dragon in 1-50 however, for non-expansion jobs.

As much as it hurts to suggest spending money, for everyone like that friend stuck outside of their ideal job, there is a way around this - you can buy a level skip for a job that you don't have access to yet, and it will work. Cold comfort, though.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 6, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with that. Almost every class could use having the order you gain abilities reworked a little bit.

Yep. The hardest part about levelling alt jobs is the 1-49 stretch imo; the dungeons are dull and the job mechanics are anemic. I usually just take it slow and do the Frontline roulette once a day for a couple weeks to get past it all without having to do Halatali again. For the most part though you'll have a good enough toolkit by 50 to keep Crystal Tower interesting once a day, and 60+ almost all jobs come online and your roulettes are gravy.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Square likes to keep the general number of skills/buttons on a job consistent between expansions even as the level cap goes up, which includes pruning some skills, moving some to lower levels, and making traits modify how earlier skills work at later levels. Paladins having offensive magic wasn't even in the toolkit until Stormblood, so it wasn't a core part of the class identity for a good long while. You see other examples of this with jobs developing new gauges and ability phases starting in the HW levels. But in Shadowbringers they started giving melee jobs much more AOE damage in the sub 50 ranges as they adjusted things. Prior to Stormblood they still used cross-class skills as a way to flesh out the kits so they've been working to internalize things since.

So, it's not at all out of the question that they continue to reduce or break down the "pre-HW" and "post-HW" job kit walls. We will find out more in September during the big expansion live letter and media day. Continue to expect jobs to play differently at different parts of their level range, though.

Cluzic
Oct 29, 2011
This is definitely an issue, and one I think the devs are aware of. Compare the 2.0 class design to stuff from Stormblood on; Samurai basically has its whole thing down as soon as it’s unlocked, and the later abilities just build on that foundation. By comparison, Summoner and Black Mage change every 10 levels, and Dragoon doesn’t really have its core gameplay loop til around level 60.

It’s possible some of this could be retooled during the Endwalker say squish. It wouldn’t do much to help with how hard it is to get to the HW classes though, that problem is probably harder to solve.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They could probably stand to push some of the 52-80 skills down into 1-50 yeah. It works the way it does right now because the level cap used to be 50 and each class had roughly the same amount of buttons back then as it does now, and they're happy with the amount of abilities a level capped class has, so they don't want to add more to avoid bloat. As a result every class is fun to play at 80 but low level play is nightmarishly dull, and some classes, like Paladin, feel like crap to play well into Stormblood.

wrt HW jobs being locked behind getting to HW, that's just the devs trying something and loving it up like they hosed up ACN > SMN/SCH. The job quests for MCH, AST, and especially DRK reference Ishgard and tons of stuff that happens in 2.0-2.x so the way they'd "fix" it is by rewriting their entire 30-60 questlines top to bottom, redoing the solo instances so that they're in ARR zones, and moving the quest NPCs; So, a lot of loving work. That's the reason why every subsequent job added to the game works differently.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Going back to the example of Dragoon even, you have 18 abilities (not counting role skills) spread across 60 levels. Currently, this is one every 5 levels from 1-50, and every 2 levels from 51-60. It really does make me wonder what the hard part is of changing this to a straight one every 3 levels, at all. Job quests don't necessarily need to be evenly paced now that you have the little alert when they're available.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It's been said in better words than I have, but yeah. FF14 isn't WoW and for everyone that comes from WoW and hates it there's probably another person that loves it. I was fairly put off of FF14 at first because of the exact same thing; you can even find me bitching about it in my post history probably.

But once I disconnected from WoW and just played FF14 for what it was, not what I expected or hoped it was, I liked it a lot more. Currently I'm treating it as the expansion to Fantasy Life that I never got and it's been a joy.

I will say, though, that the only redeeming factor of WoW's insistence on dumpstering all their systems every expansion and remaking the wheel is that when you come back to wow, you level up, and then interact with whatever that expansions system is, be it garrisons or artifact power or artifacts, or whatever. In FF14 systems are iterated on and improved, so if, like me, you haven't played in 3+ years, coming back and finding beast tribes and golden saucer and relics and housing and glams and and.... It's all a bit daunting unless you've got a guide handy to help you sus out what to focus on and what you can ignore, at least for the time being.

For example, squadrons looked like a super neat system, but when I asked about getting them going I got a lot of "lol squadrons" as feedback. I'm still going to mess with it later, but it would have been nice to know it wasn't particularly useful to me at the moment.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I'd argue that they hosed up with the HW jobs or the 50-60 job quests (which required HW zone access to varying degrees). They wanted to do storyline for the jobs that directly tied into the fact that each one is very core to the HW setting. It wasn't until after launch that they found a non-trivial number of folks were unhappy they couldn't get DRK while playing through 2.x patch content. It was a good idea with some detrimental side effects to a non trivial portion of players, and the work to change what was done would be substantial and protentially very detrimental to the job stories.

So, rather than continue to do that in future expansions, they just wrote future jobs in a way where they logically can be picked up in the base zones for people to play with more immediately.

It's like the issues with the final 2.0 instances. They have big problems that weren't anticipated prior to going live and the work to change it would potentially be major and disruptive, so they just learned from it moving forward. Or the infamous solo duty very early in SB that caused a huge roadblock when the expansion launched and the instance servers crapped out; they didn't put something comparable in early SHB.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Saxophone posted:

For example, squadrons looked like a super neat system, but when I asked about getting them going I got a lot of "lol squadrons" as feedback. I'm still going to mess with it later, but it would have been nice to know it wasn't particularly useful to me at the moment.

Personally I think squadrons are worth the effort because you can get into dungeons up to level 60 as dps without waiting in queue. You can buff them to do about 50% more damage than players while doing these dungeons, and you can also send them out to get consumables that buff your MGP gains.

But I understand I have more completionist tendencies than most :kiddo:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

For the record since squadrons are adjacent to it, I made a big effortpost in the cousin thread to this one in the WoW forum about the history of ff14 dungeon design that might be relevant to players hitting each expansion in order

Mister Olympus posted:

The arc of what a dungeon 'is' in FF14

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Squadrons actually bring me a non trivial amount of crafting/gathering scrip and other goodies, so it's not the worst idea to send your lackeys out on missions for you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's no way that the story is intentionally grindy to sell skips. I'm not sure I've heard or or met anybody who bought the skip and then stuck with the game. I know more people who think that ARR is good full stop than who skipped it and didn't bounce instantly off of ffxiv (that count is 0).

They were actually pretty open about why they were making it when they made it: they were launching the game in Korea, and in Korean MMOs those kinds of skips are so commonplace that the game would have felt feature incomplete to Korean consumers if it didn't have them. Once they were coded, no reason not to sell them in the rest of the markets.

I actually agree somewhat with the conolaibt that there's too much gating on the endgame, since endgame is also fun and much more social than leveling. But the idea that it's gated specifically in order to sell skips feels absurd.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Tortolia posted:

Squadrons actually bring me a non trivial amount of crafting/gathering scrip and other goodies, so it's not the worst idea to send your lackeys out on missions for you.

I mostly enjoyed the idea of not-15-30+ minute queues for dungeons when I decide to level up a DPS class. Also the customization and such seemed fun.

I'm trying to take a very chill approach to FF this time and I've been enjoying things a lot more as a result, so I'll probably track down some guides.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Squadrons are great and are another avenue for leveling up to 60 for your jobs. Don’t sleep on em.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I feel like the queues have been pretty okay for DPS for me so far. But that might be an Excalibur or coming in on the wave of WoW refugees. But it is rare I wait more than 15 minutes for a queue and usually I'll just some FATEs while I wait.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

15-20mins has been the norm for basically the whole games life span really.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

cheetah7071 posted:

There's no way that the story is intentionally grindy to sell skips. I'm not sure I've heard or or met anybody who bought the skip and then stuck with the game. I know more people who think that ARR is good full stop than who skipped it and didn't bounce instantly off of ffxiv (that count is 0).

They were actually pretty open about why they were making it when they made it: they were launching the game in Korea, and in Korean MMOs those kinds of skips are so commonplace that the game would have felt feature incomplete to Korean consumers if it didn't have them. Once they were coded, no reason not to sell them in the rest of the markets.

I actually agree somewhat with the conolaibt that there's too much gating on the endgame, since endgame is also fun and much more social than leveling. But the idea that it's gated specifically in order to sell skips feels absurd.

If they're trying to sell skips they really hosed up by cultivating a player population that freaks out and starts berating anyone who wants to buy one

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Zurtilik posted:

While it probably won't get fixed in the next couple months, it still might be worth taking your concerns about the readability of certain things to the actual FFXIV forums. They've added and redone a number of things to accommodate for disabilities and other such issues. Like they just redid the sage icon, for example.

Yeah, I thought about this, but it’s a hard sell without community support, I think. There’s a misconception that people with visual impairments don’t play games in the first place, so I find and have experienced from that perspective that we tend to be the last ones accounted for in development. If SE didn’t have a track record of responsiveness, I’d not try at all. But because they do, I’ll consider it.

Xerophyte posted:

That sucks. One thing that might help is that you can at least scale up the textboxes by right clicking them, similarly to other ui elements.

One of the mods for the FF14QuickLauncher is called TextBoxStyler and "allows replacing every text box with the background of your choice" which might also help. I've never tried it but it looks like what they mean is that you can replace the sepia "talk" background by for instance the blue "linkshell" textbox background and similar. Like all launcher plugins it is technically against the terms of service, and like all launcher plugins you're not going to get in trouble unless you talk about it in-game.

I’m on PS4, unfortunately.

It’s also an issue of low contrast, not text size. The rest of the interface is pretty flexible and can be made very legible for me, even on PS4 without mod support. It’s just these two elements that cause the issue because I can’t make important elements stand out.

So for me this is a two-pronged issue. If I could at minimum group up with someone through the main quest, and share objectives, we’d be able to work in concert, and it would make the experience much easier for me. I think from a design standpoint, this is the big winner because it allows me to experience the content alongside friends and makes FFXIV more inviting to players from outside its wheelhouse.

Arguing for interface adjustments, while more useful for me individually, probably has less utility for the player base at large and so is, I imagine, a harder sell.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I've been DPS this whole time and the queues have been pretty acceptable (~10 min tops). I can just mess around until then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ibram Gaunt posted:

15-20mins has been the norm for basically the whole games life span really.

If anything it's the tank and healer queue times that have changed recently. Healers used to be a couple of minutes but now are almost instant and tanks have slowed down to about five to ten minutes.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 6, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

So for me this is a two-pronged issue. If I could at minimum group up with someone through the main quest, and share objectives, we’d be able to work in concert, and it would make the experience much easier for me. I think from a design standpoint, this is the big winner because it allows me to experience the content alongside friends and makes FFXIV more inviting to players from outside its wheelhouse.
I mean, especially past 2.0, the game like, barely has 'objectives' in the MSQ You get to a zone, you kill maybe three mobs, and then you run around talking to a bunch of people. Occasionally you have to pick up some cow poop or do a single-player boss fight where the NPCs tell you exactly what to do. I don't know how another player could make this much faster or easier, or what objectives could even be shared, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
In absence of a legible map, it helps to have someone around that can see where to go. Maybe that's not exactly optimal from some people's perspective but it's the difference between my being able to do the content and not.

Ironically and what's frustrating is that raids and endgame content are actually easier for me because there's lots of people around to follow and dungeon environments are easier to navigate by virtue of being closed in.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 6, 2021