Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I like how the one throughline across this entire thread is that Randy Pitchford will always remain an asshat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This looks cool.

https://twitter.com/Pinky_GameDev/status/1422723562721402881

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Pretty sure I got Alice in a two-pack jewel case at Wal-Mart with Clive Barker's Undying back in ~2003-2004 and boy howdy that was a fuckin value at $10. Wonder if I can still find them at my parent's place.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

catlord posted:

Edit: Still need to watch Heavy Metal 2000 tho.

It's not amazing but it has some good music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WyQBe8RjY

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The FAKK2/Heavy Metal discussion just reminds me that Julie Strain died earlier this year.

:smith:

I loving know, right? I heard about that late too.

Vakal posted:

It's not amazing but it has some good music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7WyQBe8RjY

Yeah, I mean, I loving love the original, so I've always assumed it would be hard for it to reach that level, but it sounds fun enough anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3D Realms acquired by Embracer so guess I won't be buying another game from them.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barudak posted:

3D Realms acquired by Embracer so guess I won't be buying another game from them.

Was just about to post about this. What's up with Embracer? Never heard of them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Was just about to post about this. What's up with Embracer? Never heard of them.

They're THQ Nordic, rebranded. They bought Saber out recently too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Barudak posted:

A few more, like Graven, too:

D Realms (Duke Nukem, going to Saber)
Slipgate Ironworks (Graven, going to Saber)
Digixart (indie studio, going to Koch)
Force Field (VR games, going to Koch's VR subsidiary)
Easy Trigger (Huntdown, going to Coffee Stain)
Ghost Ship Games (Deep Rock Galactic, going to Coffee Stain)
Crazy Labs (Israeli casual mobile studio/publisher, sounds like it's becoming a new branch)
Grimfrost (e-commerce and Viking merchadice for some reason)

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uhh, I play DRG a a few other things, what has Embracer done that we should be concerned about? Other than gobbling up other studios, which is kinda a red flag I admit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Serephina posted:

Uhh, I play DRG a a few other things, what has Embracer done that we should be concerned about? Other than gobbling up other studios, which is kinda a red flag I admit.

hosted a ama on 8chan

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

It's my favorite game of 2020. Rock and Stone!

They seem to be 'embracing' lots of studios but after that they seem to be hands off with them. Hell, I think it would be hard for them to direct 69 different studios even if they wanted
https://embracer.com/

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Duke Nukem is still owned by Gearbox last I checked, so it hasn't been Embraced.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Gearbox is part of the Embracer Group.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Looks like that happened in February. 3D Realms' recent purchase has nothing to do with it. Hell maybe it means they can make a Duke game again instead of Greasy Randy just sitting on the license doing nothing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, but now instead of greasy randy its 8chan is normal no I won't admit anything weird about this whole situation Embracer

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

Yeah, but now instead of greasy randy its 8chan is normal no I won't admit anything weird about this whole situation Embracer
Which particularly doesn't bode well when combined with the Duke Nukem franchise.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The bar is already so low with DNF.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/georgebsocial/status/1423204028238995459

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

:lmao:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Barudak posted:

Honestly Randy is so greasy that even though having anything remotely to do with 8chan is in extremely bad taste, it still comes off as an improvement

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh poo poo, I forgot Tim was at Saber.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Despite considering myself familiar with both of those people (and the games of that era), I’m not sure I understand the immediate “gently caress off” response. Can anybody explain?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot Tim was at Saber.

Yeah, it looks like they want to be legit competitors for Activision-Blizzard.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I was unaware they had beef.

I haven't heard anything awful about THQ Nordic/Enbracer (I missed they changed their name?) since the whole 8Chan AMA thing, which puts me a little on edge since I was so glad when they got Alone in the Dark off of Atari and I basically keep on waiting for the other shoe to drop because, well, an 8Chan AMA? I just want good things for one of my favourite game franchises.

He's not the main focus of the convo, but hey, gently caress Randy Pitchford anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://twitter.com/zamboni_goblin/status/1423425664712155139?s=19

I love this. :allears:

Specially the roses are red verse, I don't care about Dave's many takes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

https://twitter.com/zamboni_goblin/status/1423425664712155139?s=19

I love this. :allears:

Specially the roses are red verse, I don't care about Dave's many takes.

Roses may be red, but hell is FIREBLU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Despite considering myself familiar with both of those people (and the games of that era), I’m not sure I understand the immediate “gently caress off” response. Can anybody explain?

Broussard has always been a general weirdo, while it's slowly been coming out that Tim Willits is an absolute rear end in a top hat who seemed to derive a sick pleasure from tormenting American McGee in particular.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

quote:

Willits has stated in numerous interviews that he was inspired to make video games when he downloaded a shareware version of Doom. He played the first room of E1M1, thinking that was the entire demo, then, discovering a door that led the player to the other rooms. It was that moment when the door opened, Willits was transported into making video games.[1][3][4] Willits required assistance with developing doors in future levels and games.[citation needed]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How can someone be that dumb.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Groovelord Neato posted:

How can someone be that dumb.

For your viewing pleasure:
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1420903247896748032

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

we found the guy from the Valve focus groups

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I originally thought that guy was doing a bit because someone posted his other reviews and he said Risk of Rain 2 is impossible single player even on lowest difficulty (I've broken the game multiple times on the hardest) but then he said he deleted the review after he realized what he'd done wrong lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s fascinating how bad people can be at video games sometimes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dean Takahashi now writing Steam reviews.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s fascinating how bad people can be at video games sometimes.

I'd say that translates to their day-to-day basis

Fame Douglas posted:

Dean Takahashi now writing Steam reviews.

:iceburn:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I’m sad because I tried to find that review right after I originally saw that tweet, but it was already deleted.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

:wow:

Imagine being so bad at games that you get stumped on the Quake difficulty room.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I’m sad because I tried to find that review right after I originally saw that tweet, but it was already deleted.

This may or may not be the person responsible for some critical steam reviews, including Assetto Corsa having too many settings for a simulator, and Risk of Rain throwing a little too many enemies at the player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I got the Lucasarts Archives Volume II for Christmas when I was a kid. There was a extensive Dark Forces demo with that that had the first 3 missions. After clearing out the first room I thought maybe that was all there was too it until I read the manual some more and realized you could open doors.