Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Genuinely how do you know if you have a meeting arranged? Do people just message you on Slack to see if you're free at a certain time and then you say "yes" and enter it into your own calendar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Genuinely how do you know if you have a meeting arranged? Do people just message you on Slack to see if you're free at a certain time and then you say "yes" and enter it into your own calendar?

I still get meetings with a plain text description/link/chime. I only use teams with a specific subset of people and/or external users, so admittedly I don't know much about it - it's also almost all for ad-hoc meetings or for dumb vendors that heavily filter their network but allow microsoft. I am almost never the meeting creator for teams meetings, so that might be why I never get access to a share link if only the creator can.

My collaboration in general is 99% slack DM equivalents or in code reviews. Almost all the time if someone tries to "ask a question" in the form of a meeting I outright deny or ask on slack.

It just feels so frictional every time I interact with teams. It's probably my fault for treating teams like how the others are an ad-hoc "start a screen share with a couple people or a vendor" service rather than a replacement for internal use slack (which I assume now that this is what teams is supposed to be).

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Teams is a product that's greater than the sum of its parts. Its basically becoming the central node for communication (Instant messaging, IRCish messaging, Skypey calls, PTSN VoIP, Online meetings) and collaboration (Office Online product integration, SharePoint Online, integration with tools like Forms, Tasks, Shifts, etc).

What resulted is basically Slack + Zoom + Office Online which is very powerful when working together. Even though they're not as good as Slack, Zoom, and Desktop Office as dedicated products, they're good enough for what MS is trying to do.

You are right that its resulted in kind of a kludgy interface because its trying to do a -lot- and its somewhat a new concept to users, but once you start using it it starts to make sense.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Replaced a switch a couple days ago and a port channel failed to come online, it wasn't a huge issue as we had redundant links and pathways that managed to pass the traffic, but it is still something that should be fixed. Woke up the next morning and started digging into it, found the issue, and sent an email to the relevant parties basically saying "here is what broke, we can do a, b, or c about it, here are the pros and cons of each. What direction would you like me to go in?"

I received a response from one person saying the traffic is being passed so this is not a critical issue, nobody else has responded in two days.

So I guess things only get worked on when it's critical? :shrug:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

File it away, purge it from your head.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

File it away, purge it from your head.

I know I should, but it still bugs me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can't help people who don't want to be helped

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
The biggest thing about teams is that it’s just straight-up included with almost all 365 licensing, so it’s just there no matter what.

Per Slacks website, it’s $12.50/user/month for a version with SSO. And from what I can tell that’s all you get, Slack with SSO and some other compliance stuff.

For $12.50/user/month you get M365 Business Standard, which includes all the Microsoft poo poo you could ever want.

I just really hope they really do improve Teams performance with the new release.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I tried to implement Teams at my 2 branches for the longest time. The most I ever got was getting them off of a Google Sheets spreadsheet (that really belonged in a DB of some sort) to an Excel on the Web one that...was at least Excel.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
as someone who’s never used teams I love this conversation so much, it’s like when normies hear us chat and know the individual words but not the meaning. It’s all just blissfully gibberish.

I feel like working in this industry really makes you appreciate the bliss of ignorance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

klosterdev posted:

Teams is a product that's greater than the sum of its parts. Its basically becoming the central node for communication (Instant messaging, IRCish messaging, Skypey calls, PTSN VoIP, Online meetings) and collaboration (Office Online product integration, SharePoint Online, integration with tools like Forms, Tasks, Shifts, etc).

What resulted is basically Slack + Zoom + Office Online which is very powerful when working together. Even though they're not as good as Slack, Zoom, and Desktop Office as dedicated products, they're good enough for what MS is trying to do.

You are right that its resulted in kind of a kludgy interface because its trying to do a -lot- and its somewhat a new concept to users, but once you start using it it starts to make sense.

We've migrated from Slack to Discord and found it to be pretty drat great. Aside from using bots to pump in alarms and incoming tickets/emails/etc to channels, we can just stream off someone's screen when they're working on a problem or even just do a video call when one of our guys is poking around on a site to get a look at what they're doing if they need a second set of eyes on something.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've migrated from Slack to Discord and found it to be pretty drat great. Aside from using bots to pump in alarms and incoming tickets/emails/etc to channels, we can just stream off someone's screen when they're working on a problem or even just do a video call when one of our guys is poking around on a site to get a look at what they're doing if they need a second set of eyes on something.

I would love this if discord somehow would one day produce a pay per user corporate product that wasn't invasive, unencrypted, and heavily monetized

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Iron Rose posted:

I feel like working in this industry really makes you appreciate the bliss of ignorance.

The longer I work in this industry the more I value brute force for solutions, so that checks out.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

We're finally migrating the last few users that are still on redirected folders.

So far we've found on people's desktops:

6 Adobe After Effects cache folders, all from different versions, belonging to the same user (700GB)
A 100GB SteamApps folder
A file named passwords.csv

We're currently fully remote working due to covid

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I would be all about it if we started using Discord. It would be even MORE reason for nobody to ever loving call me since I have it on my phone and work computer. Having trouble in NAV? Here, let me screen share and show you exactly what to do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

To me, the lack of threads, and I guess now the awful implementation of threads, makes Discord a fairly useless tool for serious communications. Threads are just a godsend for not blowing up your notifications. Also makes conversations much easier to follow.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Conceptually you’re right, but both Teams and Slack have bad thread implementations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Eh, threads can be nice, but I use it so rarely, and it seems like a lot of people ignore the threads and stick to the main conversation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's odd. In my experience, people pick up threads in Teams and Slack and they work quite well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

That's odd. In my experience, people pick up threads in Teams and Slack and they work quite well.

I mean, my experience is if course anecdotal so maybe it's just me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i currently have a 60,000 reply thread going in slack at work. it's been going for two years now, it's great.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like a lot of problems people have with teams are solved by using the chat filter and the search bar correctly. The chat filter could be way more obvious that it exists, but instead Microsoft kind of resigned it to being a little symbol. So if you are looking for a multi user chat and you have a million of them, you click the little chat filter button, search for something related to the chat you are looking for and you should easily find it. Just pin your important multi user chats and call it a day. Any important chat multi user chat or individual user chat is just going to be pinned for me,

If I need to message a individual, I just use the search bar and find them instantly.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 6, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, my experience is if course anecdotal so maybe it's just me.

Oh for sure, we're all talking anecdotes here. I've just used them in quite a few different environments, contexts, etc., and haven't had a problem.

The Iron Rose posted:

i currently have a 60,000 reply thread going in slack at work. it's been going for two years now, it's great.

:allbuttons:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sickening posted:

I feel like a lot of problems people have with teams are solved by using the chat filter and the search bar correctly. The chat filter could be way more obvious that it exists, but instead Microsoft kind of resigned it to being a little symbol. So if you are looking for a multi user chat and you have a million of them, you click the little chat filter button, search for something related to the chat you are looking for and you should easily find it. Just pin your important multi user chats and call it a day. Any important chat multi user chat or individual user chat is just going to be pinned for me,

If I need to message a individual, I just use the search bar and find them instantly.

My main issue with teams is that I can quote a reply to a message in the mobile version, but not on the desktop version.

Oh and Microsoft’s emojis are ugly and they removed all of the good ones.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bring back the msn messenger emojis you cowards

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just want an easy way to add custom emojis to teams

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same, I want to put :stare: into Teams

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

i just reflexively ctrl-k at this point

This is the only way to use Slack.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Threads have been one of the harder things to get users to use in my experience. Chat feels more natural to them because even computer illiterate people understand the basic concept of instant messaging. The concept of threads, especially threads within channels, are weird to most people who've never used IRC or some other IRC+ collaboration software. It used to be a -lot- worse for Teams because making a new thread used a chat bar at the bottom of the screen and people were making new threads as replies to existing threads. Got cleaned up a lot when they replaced the chat bar with a dedicated "New Thread" button you had to click to make the bar appear.

The Iron Rose posted:

as someone who’s never used teams I love this conversation so much, it’s like when normies hear us chat and know the individual words but not the meaning. It’s all just blissfully gibberish.

I've had this same experience with yourself and many other people posting here about whatever their specializations happen to be.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 6, 2021

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Same, I want to put :stare: into Teams

:eyepop: , :dafuq: , and , :tif:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Getting a new job and inspecting the custom icons in their slack is a great way to figure out if any goons are in the organization.

I'm generally okay with how slack does threads, I just hate how having one open takes up a huge chunk of the window. They need a tab type solution.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

The user voice for the “give us custom emotes” ended with “we just added 500!! New emotes to choose from! and they all suck!”

People were not pleased.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My beef with Teams is people keep yanking docs off the network share and stuffing them in random teams groups which makes access shittier and working with them through the teams interface is just....woof.

Though I suppose this is more of an organizational issue than a Teams issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

My beef with Teams is people keep yanking docs off the network share and stuffing them in random teams groups which makes access shittier and working with them through the teams interface is just....woof.

Though I suppose this is more of an organizational issue than a Teams issue.

Def an organizational issue. Migrating our network shares over to Teams-connected SharePoint Online was one of the best things we ever did for accessibility and data resiliency. You have to do it in a managed fashion though, create a service account to be the owner of your Teams and set permissions on the folders in SharePoint Online and lock out the users from making new channels, being able to add/remove users and other poo poo you don't want them doing. (also set the root of the Documents library as read-only so they can't create folders in SPO that aren't channel folders)

Working in docs in the Teams interface is kind of crummy, but very useful for quick-reference and edits. You'll have an option available to open the document in SharePoint Online, which gives you a lot more screen real estate, or if you're willing temp lock out collaborative editing for that document, you can also open it in your desktop app through the interface.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

klosterdev posted:

You have to do it in a managed fashion though

And this is where most orgs fail. Well, at everything.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

More poo poo that pisses you off: I suppose this is more of an organizational issue

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

klosterdev posted:

Def an organizational issue. Migrating our network shares over to Teams-connected SharePoint Online was one of the best things we ever did for accessibility and data resiliency. You have to do it in a managed fashion though, create a service account to be the owner of your Teams and set permissions on the folders in SharePoint Online and lock out the users from making new channels, being able to add/remove users and other poo poo you don't want them doing. (also set the root of the Documents library as read-only so they can't create folders in SPO that aren't channel folders)

Working in docs in the Teams interface is kind of crummy, but very useful for quick-reference and edits. You'll have an option available to open the document in SharePoint Online, which gives you a lot more screen real estate, or if you're willing temp lock out collaborative editing for that document, you can also open it in your desktop app through the interface.

Most of the desktop apps support collaboration now I thought?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

The Fool posted:

It might actually! We're on E1 with Office 2019 volume license for when people need to do stuff that's not supported in Office Online.

E: Another cool thing about building Teams is the Microsoft Groups they're built on can also be fully functional distribution groups so long as you tick "Send copies of group conversations and events to group members" before adding the members. So if you have a separate Team for each Program or Location->Program or similar within your operation you're also building a bunch of groups in address book that enable your users to look up and email specific groups in the org, so long as you standardize your naming convention. Makes maintaining a bunch of extra distribution groups redundant, just set the old group email address as an alias to point to the new Team group.

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The Fool posted:

only for files that are saved to SPO or OneDrive.