Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jazz Marimba posted:

i give online lessons (dm me), and/or start following some drum youtubers e.g. mike johnston (linear licks), rob brown (watch exclusively at 2x speed), stephen’s drum shed (lotta great older vids), drumeo, etc

I bought your.book already so sweet! I don't have pm but do you have email or does your site have it? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Fixins posted:

After like a decade I got my first drum kit, a electric, alesis nitro mesh, the other day and I've fallen in love with playing. My issue is there's no musical teachers around where I live so I'm kinda bones on that part. Granted I have about 14 years of guitar and bass playing so I'm musically okay but I wanna get decent at drums. Are there any good online resources I should use?

Like everyone else I played boat loads of rock band so I think my very basic fundamentals are okay but I'd like to learn some theory and like when to hit the toms etc. Thanks goons

Are you looking to just learn technique?

If you are looking for lessons on rhythm, I generally suggest (if you are a Rock drummer anyway) learning the Back in Black album by AC/DC. Every song is pretty much 4/4, boom tap, boom tap, but you'll learn how to play in the pocket. I've known drummers that can play La Villa Strangiato note for note but they can't keep a simple beat to save their life. If AC/DC isn't you thing then I'd suggest early Beatles tunes.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Musical theory with regard to drum theory and playing techniques I guess

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fixins posted:

I bought your.book already so sweet! I don't have pm but do you have email or does your site have it? Thanks

wow i need to make my email more obvious cuz i just checked my site and couldn’t find it despite designing the whole thing :eng99:

email: courtney@courtneyannemcnally.com

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Sent you a email earlier!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I finally went ahead and bought EZ Drummer 2.

It's a lot less customizable than I expected. No midi map for example - I can pick "Roland" from the list, but I can't specifically pick which of my drums will trigger which samples.

That being said, the drums and particularly the snares sound great. The sensation I get from triggering EZDrummer from my kit is that I'm playing some very professionally mic'd up drums. It doesn't necessarily *feel* as realistic as my TD-27 module sounds but it sure sounds great.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Jazz Marimba posted:

wow i need to make my email more obvious cuz i just checked my site and couldn’t find it despite designing the whole thing :eng99:

That little drum kit you drew over the sheet music sample on your website is cute as heck.

I didn't realize the notation lined up with (rough) actual drum position that well. Drumcute.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I took my first lesson today with Jazz. Had a blast and learned alot! :D

Question though, if there any software that lets you plot out drum notation if I wanted to just not things down? I'm sure I could easily download and print some blank bar sheets but in lazy and wondered if there's a easier way to do it!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
If you mean create sheet music, I use MuseScore for that. There's a bit of a learning curve but I haven't found a better (free) solution and can answer any basic getting-started questions.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Yep, perfect!!

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Oh also, anyone have a link for the discord? The link posted earlier expired

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

That little drum kit you drew over the sheet music sample on your website is cute as heck.

I didn't realize the notation lined up with (rough) actual drum position that well. Drumcute.

thanks! the original hand drawn version was by a guy on fb named Stephen Snodgrass, I got his permission to use it and I commissioned a goon friend (nem0? I actually dk their username) to make a fancy digital version

Fixins posted:

Oh also, anyone have a link for the discord? The link posted earlier expired

https://discord.gg/b7jThFcu

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hey boys! Wanna get a kit, just dip my toes in the water, never played percussion.

I have a room that would be a semi-dedicated space for the kit but it is not very large. Unless I realllllly get into it don’t have space for some massive setup.

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/westminster-pearl-roadshow-piece/7352458556.html

How’s this look for a starter rig??

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

hobbez posted:

Hey boys! Wanna get a kit, just dip my toes in the water, never played percussion.

I have a room that would be a semi-dedicated space for the kit but it is not very large. Unless I realllllly get into it don’t have space for some massive setup.

https://denver.craigslist.org/msg/d/westminster-pearl-roadshow-piece/7352458556.html

How’s this look for a starter rig??

Looks like its been deleted by the seller but the Roadshow series is a little high end. Search for Pearl Export and you're likely to see a bunch of them. Exports are great starter kits that don't sound like they came from a toy store.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The roadshow isn't full sized iirc

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Bonzo posted:

Looks like its been deleted by the seller but the Roadshow series is a little high end. Search for Pearl Export and you're likely to see a bunch of them. Exports are great starter kits that don't sound like they came from a toy store.

Cuz I bought it lol

Got it for $300 when he just got it last year new for 600. It is indeed undersized with a 20 inch base drum. To be honest, I have somewhat limited space and am happy to have a smaller kit for my first set up. It sounds just fine to me and I can upgrade down the line when I’ve proven I’m going to stick with it to my wife (and myself) at which point I can justify dedicating more space.

I’m stoked! I may get an in person instructor but I signed up for Drumeo’s beginner online courses to get the ball rolling. Anyone have any other online course catalogs they recommend in particular?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Fixins posted:

The roadshow isn't full sized iirc

Ahhh poo poo you're right. Not sure what series I was confusing it with.

hobbez posted:

Cuz I bought it lol

Got it for $300 when he just got it last year new for 600. It is indeed undersized with a 20 inch base drum. To be honest, I have somewhat limited space and am happy to have a smaller kit for my first set up. It sounds just fine to me and I can upgrade down the line when I’ve proven I’m going to stick with it to my wife (and myself) at which point I can justify dedicating more space.

I’m stoked! I may get an in person instructor but I signed up for Drumeo’s beginner online courses to get the ball rolling. Anyone have any other online course catalogs they recommend in particular?

Post some pics when you can!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hobbez posted:

If you're new to percussion it is recommended to get at least a few in-person lessons to go over basic form stuff like proper posture and how to hold drumsticks. It may sound silly, but if you start teaching yourself with poor form at best you'll develop a bunch of bad habits that will need to be unlearned later, and at worst you could actually hurt yourself with poo poo like repetitive stress injury and finger nerve damage. You can learn a lot of stuff through Youtube but things like this are best handled by a real person who can watch you play and offer real-time instruction.

And yeah post pics, everyone who follows this thread is a sick drum freak that just wants to buy more drum kits and would do so if we had unlimited space. Living vicariously through other people's spare bedrooms is all some of us have :smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Takes No Damage posted:

And yeah post pics, everyone who follows this thread is a sick drum freak that just wants to buy more drum kits and would do so if we had unlimited space. Living vicariously through other people's spare bedrooms is all some of us have :smith:
Well buckle up, buttercup, I got a real humdinger comin your way (not really but hey...):

Our drummer is moving away and I was elected by the band, as the bassist, to take his place. I've played drums in lovely punk bands and pretty much told our drummer what to play so I gotta get good and fast! To that end, I gotta choose between two sets of cheap e-drums so that I can practice away from our practice (LOUD) space. One of them is a used Yamaha DTXpress II kit which is probably good enough, but I'm wondering whether going for mesh heads on the similarly-priced new Alesis Nitro Mesh would be worth it? I like the Yamaha cuz it looks like it was made for adults (a few negative reviews of the Alesis talked about it being rough for people over 6' tall and I'm 6' 7") and if it had mesh-heads it'd be a done deal. Just curious if the mesh heads is worth sacrificing pretty much everything else about the kit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scuz posted:

Well buckle up, buttercup, I got a real humdinger comin your way (not really but hey...):

Our drummer is moving away and I was elected by the band, as the bassist, to take his place. I've played drums in lovely punk bands and pretty much told our drummer what to play so I gotta get good and fast! To that end, I gotta choose between two sets of cheap e-drums so that I can practice away from our practice (LOUD) space. One of them is a used Yamaha DTXpress II kit which is probably good enough, but I'm wondering whether going for mesh heads on the similarly-priced new Alesis Nitro Mesh would be worth it? I like the Yamaha cuz it looks like it was made for adults (a few negative reviews of the Alesis talked about it being rough for people over 6' tall and I'm 6' 7") and if it had mesh-heads it'd be a done deal. Just curious if the mesh heads is worth sacrificing pretty much everything else about the kit.

There are others in the thread with a lot more e-drum experience than me, but from what little I do know I can say mesh heads >>>>> solid pads. They may not be worth sacrificing everything but they're worth a lot. Also pop in to the Discord if you're in a hurry, usually a few people chatting in there every afternoon.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/MetalHammer/status/1420133685861433346

I wasn't much of a Slipknot fan but I was a terminally online little drummer kid so Jordison was pretty legendary among my peers. 46 is way too young for anybody, but the disease taking his drumming and then (presumably, no cause of death has been released) his life like that is especially unfair. RIP

FBS fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also not a fan of the music but ooof that is rough. Always bums me out a bit when I hear of someone with a physical/coordination based career like athletes or musicians getting degenerative diseases like that :smith:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RIP. Was never exactly a Slipknot fan but it always seemed like he was very good at what he did and it came easily. Felt awful for him when I learned why he was no longer in the band.

scuz posted:

E-drum stuff

I’d go with the Alesis out of the two. Yamahas are better quality but that one is OLD - i actually had that one probably 20 years ago.

You could also look for a used TD-4 or similar with a mesh snare.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Went to the good ol' music-go-round yesterday convinced that I was going to be leaving with that Yamaha but wound up with the Alesis instead. The Yamaha's snare was a single-zone and the mesh heads on the Alesis were just sooooo much better and the sounds the Yamaha made weren't good enough to justify saving $50. Thanks for the guidance, folks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was thinking of asking this in the Music Theory Thread but opted for it here instead, for some reason. I guess maybe I'm more curious as to what kind of examples drummers, in particular, will give here.

I'm looking for good examples of metric modulation in music. Curiously enough, this is coming up because of an analysis error I often run into in my DJ software, one that I know other DJs deal with a lot. The software analyzes new songs and writes a tempo grid to them; the grid is essential for anything DJs do in the modern world, from hotcues to looping to automated synchronization - purists will tell you it's a crutch and you shouldn't rely on it, and they're right in some sense, but I tend to ignore that gatekeeping nonsense and see it as another tool that can help make the technical aspects of the job easier, to free up the mind and hands for more creativity.

ANYWAY, metric modulation, and this fascinating analysis error. Sometimes you'll get a song with a triplet rhythm. This happens occasionally with tunes that have strong dotted-note rhythms too, but most often it's a tune with a triplet feel. The software hears the triplets as quarter or eighth notes, and incorrectly assumes it's a different tempo. Here's a good example, a dubstep tune with an extremely strong triplet feel. It's at 140BPM halftime, but the software will probably hear the triplets and write the grid at either 105BPM or 210BPM.

Well, what is a triplet feel anyway but a 6/8 rhythm? So there's the rub. I'm trying to find more creative ways to change tempo in a DJ set than simply stretching a song to oblivion or finding a song that has a baked-in tempo change. More than just for my own experimentation, I'm looking for some examples that can help me illustrate the concept to... well, students I guess, as I'm thinking of putting together some intermediate-level beatmaking/DJing tutorials and it's a subject I've not heard addressed in others' tutorials.

I imagine there's a lot of metal and progressive rock that shows metric modulation techniques, but I'm open to anything. Interestingly, I've only ever heard it pulled off once in EDM, in this remix.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Great topic, I love messing with metric modulation when I'm drumming to stuff. Usually shifting something that was intended to as 6/8 to a 4/4. And then you can double and half-time it and stuff.

I can't think of any songs off the top of my head but here's a video of someone doing it to Tears for Fears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEBOIuUKO1w

Here's a drumless track that I love messing around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et-mrP9BkLE

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The middle section of He Films The Clouds pt. 2 by Maybeshewill comes to mind.

https://youtu.be/lVopcyHcEgU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My man Yogev is all about breaking down complex rhythms, mostly trying to figure out what time signature metal songs are in that are nothing but modulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcsAAPdJTBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLYeGJzJMdU

But he also does more proggy stuff like Porcupine Tree and Radiohead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sxvtLMqWkI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm0McZi2zXw

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

forgive the basic rear end question but how do i know when to use high/mid/low/floor toms in a beat? i'm feeling really limited just by doing kick snare patterns

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hmm, I would generally err more on mid and floor toms on fills.

There’s lots of good YouTube videos on easy fills to get you started.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really just depends on what fits in with the rest of the music. Not that it's ever necessarily wrong to work the toms in, but you can do just about anything with kick/snare/HiHat patterns so don't feel like you need to force more drums into the mix.

Having said that, I love toms so here's a couple of songs I'm practicing now that feature toms in the regular beat of the song (rather than just during fills) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF3reVVUbio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9d-1d0ltCM

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

AndrewP posted:

Hmm, I would generally err more on mid and floor toms on fills.

There’s lots of good YouTube videos on easy fills to get you started.

this is that old stack overflow software engineer thing, where you ask how to do something and instead of getting helpful information, you get someone questioning why you’re trying to do it in the first place

lots of songs i like have a lot of toms in the drum beat and i want to know how to do that specifically because currently i only really know super simple beats and how they work, and i want to spice up my songs

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

You could always ride the floor tom instead of the hats/ride. Is that what you're thinking? When I first started playing, there was a definite distinction among myself and other beginner musicians that I played with between "regular beats" and "more of a cool tribal feel" which was basically just eighth notes on a floor tom and using the rack toms instead of the snare. If you really want to mesh together kick/snare patterns with toms, try throwing in random tom hits on up beats or small single beat fills during your kick/snare patterns.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

landgrabber posted:

forgive the basic rear end question but how do i know when to use high/mid/low/floor toms in a beat? i'm feeling really limited just by doing kick snare patterns

I'd recommend listening to more genres of music, especially latin stuff. For example, in something like a bossa or a rumba, it's not uncommon to hear two eighth note high or mid toms on "4 +" which is meant to mimic conga drums.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When I first started playing drums I pretty much only thought of toms as tools for fills. How misguided I was; when I started getting more into it in college I discovered a lot of music that was tom-rhythm-heavy and became obsessed with it.

As others have said, just try playing eighths on your floor tom like you would your hat or ride. Mix it up with the occasional rack tom hit on beats offset from the snare. Also, flams are your friend, in general but especially when you're playing with toms. Tom flams immediately make everything sound significantly more tribal and awesome.

Thanks guys for the metric modulation examples, I especially love that Tears for Fears cover. Incredible.

gently caress I miss playing drums.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've been playing for 20+ years and I still think of toms as just for fills lol

I'll use toms on some patterns that aren't exactly fills, but I pretty much never play any kind of groove with toms.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
When I started playing earlier this year, I bought a Donner DED200 (wanted to make sure I stuck with it before investing more), and I think I broke the kick drum sensor. Sequential eighth notes at faster than 60 ~ 70 bpms does not register consistently. I could probably replace the sensor, but since this is a cheapo set that I have other issues with, I am looking to replace it with something more legitimate. A cursory look at kits makes it seem like electronic drums tend to either be very cheap or expensive with not much in between. Do goons have a good recommendation for something around the 700 ~ 1000USD price point? I live in a one bedroom apartment so space is a concern as well. I do not need anything fancier than two rack toms, a floor tom, and one of each cymbal. Thanks for the help on this!

I have another related question. I mostly listen to classic rock and punk rock. Music genres that rely on acoustic drums. Are there musicians / genres of music, where electronic kits are regularly used in performance or do people just use drum machines at that point? While I primarily play electronic for practical reasons, I find myself getting more interested / invested in my electronic kit.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Usually see electronic kits used in combo with acoustic drums. I've seen electronic kits with real cymbals and acoustic kits with just a couple of pads to trigger backing tracks or more electronic drum samples for a specific sound. I remember playing some local shows and every now and then, a band would show up on a bill with a full e drum kit and you could see the sound man take a deep breath before having to deal with it.

E kits have their usage but mostly for practicality like the church gig I used to play often. Just easier to mix in when dealing with a large room and sound bleed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bored Online posted:

When I started playing earlier this year, I bought a Donner DED200 (wanted to make sure I stuck with it before investing more), and I think I broke the kick drum sensor. Sequential eighth notes at faster than 60 ~ 70 bpms does not register consistently. I could probably replace the sensor, but since this is a cheapo set that I have other issues with, I am looking to replace it with something more legitimate. A cursory look at kits makes it seem like electronic drums tend to either be very cheap or expensive with not much in between. Do goons have a good recommendation for something around the 700 ~ 1000USD price point? I live in a one bedroom apartment so space is a concern as well. I do not need anything fancier than two rack toms, a floor tom, and one of each cymbal. Thanks for the help on this!

I have another related question. I mostly listen to classic rock and punk rock. Music genres that rely on acoustic drums. Are there musicians / genres of music, where electronic kits are regularly used in performance or do people just use drum machines at that point? While I primarily play electronic for practical reasons, I find myself getting more interested / invested in my electronic kit.

I'd go Roland. They're the most expensive, but it's because they're well-built and don't break.

If you want new and don't need all mesh, Roland TD-17 is $1000 and is a professional-quality kit. You can upgrade pads or module individually if you want down the road.

As for your other question, the big example I can think of is Michael Schack. He's basically a DJ that plays live drums and controls it all from his kit. (He's also a Roland rep but I mean why wouldn't they hire this guy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA08KTMgSag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBnBPwFwB8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

KJ Sawka streams using an e-kit

https://youtu.be/v1MpEcjxS6s