Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Me in highschool: "Huh. 'Desire' is a weird name for a streetcar. And I wonder why it has a name, anyway..."

Me in the shower this morning, 20 years later: "Oh. It's probably a metaphor."

(I haven't seen the movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Me in highschool: "Huh. 'Desire' is a weird name for a streetcar. And I wonder why it has a name, anyway..."

Me in the shower this morning, 20 years later: "Oh. It's probably a metaphor."

(I haven't seen the movie)

It was a streetcar line in New Orleans, the city the play is set in.

And it's also a metaphor.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's a metaphor like backronyms; ascribed meaning after it's existence.

gently caress definitely doesn't stand for "Fornication Under Consent of King" or whatever.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

It's a metaphor like backronyms; ascribed meaning after it's existence.

gently caress definitely doesn't stand for "Fornication Under Consent of King" or whatever.

That's how all metaphors work.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
good start to this page everyone

keep it up

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Canadian wildlife service is now using speakers playing the sounds of running water to entice beavers to build dams in locations where they will prevent flooding of roads and homes during high rains.

That's fuckin cool.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Weembles posted:

Wait -- gently caress.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Weembles posted:

It was a streetcar line in New Orleans, the city the play is set in.

And it's also a metaphor.

Oh. Oh well.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
"parge the lath" is correct terminology

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 20:11 on Aug 5, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Weembles posted:

Can numbers be metaphors?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Can numbers be metaphors?

Only figuratively.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
You know those pieces of cartilage you get in frankfurters and other sausages sometimes? When I was little my dad would tell me they were rat teeth from the rats that fell into to machinery at the sausage factory.

I was 28 when someone set me straight.

I am now telling my kids they are rat teeth.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mzuri posted:

You know those pieces of cartilage you get in frankfurters and other sausages sometimes? When I was little my dad would tell me they were rat teeth from the rats that fell into to machinery at the sausage factory.

Do we have a thread for poo poo your parents (or older siblings) convinced you was true when you were a kid? Whenever I wondered which direction we were driving, my dad told me to check what side of the road the telephone poles were on; if they're on your right, you're going north. This is not at all true and in no way holds up, and even back then I was pretty :raise: about it, but now I'm thinking about poo poo I can tell my son as he starts driving. For a while there I would tell him I loved him as big as an ant, but the biggest ant in all existence, which is larger even than the universe and the reason the night sky is black (because you're looking at that ant).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mzuri posted:

:sickos:

My kids don't believe anything I tell them anymore because I had way too much fun doing poo poo like this when they were younger.

My personal best was convincing them that the kids on leashes at Disney were "seeing-eye babies"

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

AFewBricksShy posted:

My personal best was convincing them that the kids on leashes at Disney were "seeing-eye babies"

Lmao

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

My kids don't believe anything I tell them anymore because I had way too much fun doing poo poo like this when they were younger.

Legit lol

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The sun sets near Flagstaff and is about the size of a quarter.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

lmao.

For a few golden years, my brother had his kids convinced that every so often they were being chased by international spies on the freeway. He'd tell them not to look, and being kids they inevitably did. So he'd say "shoot, now you've done it!" and take one exit early or one exit late and then drive randomly around side streets on the way back to their house to "shake the tail". Whenever they'd tell him to floor it, he'd always say "no that's a rookie mistake. You have to stay at the speed limit or it'll draw attention."

My youngest niece, who just graduated high school, says International Spy is her favorite memory of growing up

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

lmao.

For a few golden years, my brother had his kids convinced that every so often they were being chased by international spies on the freeway. He'd tell them not to look, and being kids they inevitably did. So he'd say "shoot, now you've done it!" and take one exit early or one exit late and then drive randomly around side streets on the way back to their house to "shake the tail". Whenever they'd tell him to floor it, he'd always say "no that's a rookie mistake. You have to stay at the speed limit or it'll draw attention."

My youngest niece, who just graduated high school, says International Spy is her favorite memory of growing up

:3: adorable

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
These balls

are to float the power lines during floods.

Yeah idk how that works either. Thanks Dad.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm getting some real Calvin's Dad vibes from a lot of Goon's fathers.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Most definitely. My favorite thing about reading that big Calvin and Hobbes collection that came out a few years ago was how much funnier the dad was now that I was in a similar position.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm getting some real Calvin's Dad vibes from a lot of Goon's fathers.

I'm not a father but I learned how to deal with kids from Calvin's dad for sure.

His explanation of bridges is probably half the reason I went into structural engineering.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Mzuri posted:

I had a similar moment with my father telling me the bubble in spirit levels was made by training small fish to fart in specially designed green tanks

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jestery posted:

I had a similar moment with my father telling me the bubble in spirit levels was made by training small fish to fart in specially designed green tanks

:lol: we may have a dad-flagrantly-lying winner here

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My dad and uncle were going bald and when I asked them one day where the hair on the top of their heads had gone my dad told me that because they climbed a lot of high hills when they went hiking that the clouds had rubbed their hair away.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I had my younger brother and sister convinced that the crust was the "best" part of the pizza and that's why I saved it for them. To the point where their friends looked at them weird when they got older and had pizza parties and so on.

(To prevent a food derail, we grew up in a small town with only one pizza place and they'd be mostly bread and have this stone like hardtack texture on the crusts. Which is a shame because the rest of the pizza was good)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I never liked Calvin and Hobbes cause I thought it was really lovely for a parent to bullshit their kid like that, I would feel kind of betrayed if my parents did that to me (when I was a kid).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shifty Nipples posted:

I never liked Calvin and Hobbes cause I thought it was really lovely for a parent to bullshit their kid like that, I would feel kind of betrayed if my parents did that to me (when I was a kid).

There's like three comics that made that joke over a decade-long run

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

There's like three comics that made that joke over a decade-long run

I was a kid, I didn't know that. I saw it once and just never paid attention to the comic again.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
All those "uncles" and "aunts" were just friends of my family!!! :argh:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Shifty Nipples posted:

I was a kid, I didn't know that. I saw it once and just never paid attention to the comic again.

So why bring it up, this ephemeral thing you barely remember from your disappointing childhood?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shifty Nipples posted:

It happens more often than that but it's extremely funny to reduce Calvin and Hobbes to "the strip about the lying dad"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

gleebster posted:

So why bring it up, this ephemeral thing you barely remember from your disappointing childhood?

:confused:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'd loooove to read a "bullshit you were told by your parents as a child" thread. I'd start one, but I don't have any to contribute :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

All those "uncles" and "aunts" were just friends of my family!!! :argh:

I never understood calling any adult person uncle/aunt

It's even weirder in Sweden where they use "farbror" which literally means "dad's brother"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hyperlynx posted:

I'd loooove to read a "bullshit you were told by your parents as a child" thread. I'd start one, but I don't have any to contribute :(
"Hyperlynx, we're very proud of you"

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
New thread about parents bullshitting their kids up, so we don't derail this one further: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3975789

(or IS IT?!)

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

A chipotle pepper is just a jalapeño that has been smoked. It isn’t a different breed of pepper, it’s just a smoked jalapeño.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Carthag Tuek posted:

I never understood calling any adult person uncle/aunt

i'd have much preferred this growing up cause it's just easier for my big family. for indians (gujaratis) specifically we have a different word based on if the aunt or uncle comes from my mom's side or dad's side.

mom's brother and wife: mama, mami
mom's sister and husband: masi, masa
dad's brother and wife: kaka, kaki
dad's sister and husband: foi, foa

when you're older this terminology does help a lot more because not only do you have something to call them, but it also helps me remember how i'm related to this person. Indian families are HUGE god drat.